Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I hate being the partypopper but I dont think he is going to make it, the phyisical part of the game is really important.

I know there are small players that are really good, but if we are talking Manchester United level we should be seeing glympses of real magic and I just dont think he haves it in him.
Glimpses of real magic is the exact words I would use to describe him as a player, and also what to expect from him coming in to the team at this level.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I hate being the partypopper but I dont think he is going to make it, the phyisical part of the game is really important.

I know there are small players that are really good, but if we are talking Manchester United level we should be seeing glympses of real magic and I just dont think he haves it in him.
Worst take of the day. Sorry.

Thiagoal

He will progress as a number 6 or not at all in my eyes! He's so great technically, got lovely vision and sublime passing skills (Scholesesque at times); he can dictate the tempo of games! Hope he gets chances in cm in future!

Nikelesh Reddy

Greenwood is giving him stiff competition.

Gomes to me appears to have stagnated a bit. Which is not necessarily a bad thing. Adversity can help shape a career just as much as success.

It can also be the case that he would shine when played with the better quality players of first team.
True,but I just like watching Gomes play.His balance and style is a bit similar to Eden Hazard....Great that he got a few minutes today...

Loublaze

ATLien

You've obviously never watched him play. There was no impetus for United to score another goal or attack with reckless abandon when Gomes came on. Poor assessment

Acole9

Outstanding
He's a terrific lad, he can hit the side netting from anywhere on the pitch, showed that in the FA Cup last year.

SAFMUTD

Rubbish :) he’s hardly smaller than mata.

He will play in the centre where being big isn’t important.
Mata is 1.70 mts, Angel Gomes is 1.61 mts

Thinking about small players that made it, most of them are/were really fast/strong to make up for their size, players like Insigne, Giovinco, Maradonna come to mind. But Gomes is not fast nor strong, maybe he has that special magic to compensate, but we would be talking about someone really really special, which I have not seen yet.

Time will tell

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Thinking about small players that made it, most of them are/were really fast/strong to make up for their size, players like Insigne, Giovinco, Maradonna come to mind. But Gomes is not fast nor strong, maybe he has that special magic to compensate, but we would be talking about someone really really special, which I have not seen yet.

Time will tell
It is clear it'll have a few downsides for a top level team, but as a player I don't think he will find it too hard. He has very good qualities. The thing is he really needs to find a role to suit his best qualities where his weaknesses such as lack of strength and height can be compensated for by others. Sort of like a luxury player. If he we can help him find that role in our team and keep him there, then it won't take long before we all realise we need to build our side around him.

Last edited:

the chameleon

He's only 18. He might grow an inch or two more. Regardless, his strength will come with time. A solid centre of balance. Either way, he's got exceptional non-physical attributes which will help him.

Let's hope he doesn't get complacent. He does strike me as a level-headed lad.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Time will tell
Well he's pretty quick and nobody bullied him off the ball today so all you've really got to worry about is set pieces. Even Mourinho gave him a few minutes FFS :lol:

automaticflare

He will progress as a number 6 or not at all in my eyes! He's so great technically, got lovely vision and sublime passing skills (Scholesesque at times); he can dictate the tempo of games! Hope he gets chances in cm in future!
I agree with this I don’t see him as a left winger but good to get him on getting minutes there for now.
Would love to see him in that number 6 instead of Matic for a game. I think he moves the ball much quicker than Matic (granted for the younger teams) but he could be amazing in there dictating tempo if he makes the step up

el3mel

Time will tell
He's 18. Obviously he won't be as strong as a veteran PL player surely ?

In Rainbows

I'm not worried about his physical stature if he's a midfielder. As you saw today, he had a brilliant first touch and then did a swivel to prevent the defender from tackling him. And if the defender went through with it it would have resulted in a foul. As long as he makes use of his brilliant technique, quick feet, and 1 touch passing it will be hard for defenders to keep him down through physicality.

Just compare him to Scholes. Scholes was a similar height if you compare Gomes standing next to similar players like Rooney and Butt. Gomes is probably 1 inch shorter than Scholes, which isn't a big deal. Scholes just had a man's body because he was obviously older where as Gomes is still a kid.

Crashoutcassius

Don't really agree with him being a 6. Don't think his passing is special and I think physique does matter there.

I like him near the box where if a team touches him it is a free kick. He can use both feet and is a great finisher with good awareness of what is around him. Think ole could use him off the left and push the rb very high beyond him

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
How nice is it knowing that these young players are going to get so many chances between now and the end of the season? Will really accelerate their development.

Maxred

For me Angel Gomes is the closest young player to flourish in the first team. His quick feet, vision, forward movement, long range and pin point passes are better than some of our first teamers.

The attacking system will make him flourish and in my opinion the reign of Mou delayed his presence in the first team. We are lucky he signed long term contract with us not so long ago.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's technically very special, will be interesting to see how he does in the remaining games. Might turn into our very own Christian Eriksen, no pressure..

Adnan

Talent Spotter
How nice is it knowing that these young players are going to get so many chances between now and the end of the season? Will really accelerate their development.
It's brilliant.. Words can't even describe how happy I am..

POF

He's a great talent but I think he's years away from being able to play at EPL level. The physicality (both strength and speed) is too much for him at this stage. I think Chong is physically closer to first team level, although he's not in great form at the moment.

I would have rathered Pereira get a run to be honest. I think he's got far more potential to contribute this season. The Gomes substitution seemed like a token sub to give a run out to the poster boy from the academy. If it was 2-1, there isn't a chance he would have come on.

Aloysius's Back 3

I don't think physicality is an issue if -
He plays for a club that values technique, plays football on the ground, doesn't waste the ball, doesn't hoof the ball & plays with a team oriented type of football that aims to attack. Such a team can learn to compensate for Gomes's 'weaknesses' if a team values his strengths.

Plus the PL is hardly a physical league in comparison to what it was a couple years ago. As seen by today, a hand on salah led to a penalty. May struggle with headers but again - would be fine for a club that played football on the ground.

SAFMUTD

He's 18. Obviously he won't be as strong as a veteran PL player surely ?
Sure his strenght will surely increase, but he does not have that bulky Shaquiri type look, he is skiny. Sure he will bulk up but wont be too far away from what he looks right now.

A player of his body type must be skillful and techical above all to hide their physical disadvantages.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That appearance was not much to go by. The game was over and our players seemed tired. Gomes seemed a little nervous due to the occasion but nothing to worry about.

On the topic of his size, he is very tiny but appeared to be up for the battle. However it coupe be a stumbling block over the future. Surely he'd be better off playing a little deeper as 10 or a CM? Conversely those are the most congested regions of the pitch and out wide is where he may be able to find mode isolated space.

In Rainbows

Don't really agree with him being a 6. Don't think his passing is special and I think physique does matter there.

I like him near the box where if a team touches him it is a free kick. He can use both feet and is a great finisher with good awareness of what is around him. Think ole could use him off the left and push the rb very high beyond him
I agree that his general passing isn't that special and the weight of his passes is a good indicator of that. I disagree that physique does matter all that much there provided he's good enough to keep defenders off him through his ability on the ball. Just look at Scholes. And even though I don't think Gomes general passing is special, it's undeniable that he has vision and does provide good through balls (grounded or over the top). And what's more important than passing being special is the ability to help your team retain possession. In that area Gomes is special. He can 1 touch pass to stop pressure, and is great with the ball at his feet that he can dribble his way out of pressure. He's also good at advancing play with his short passing.

Finally, even though I did agree that his general passing isn't special, his accuracy is still great. It's just not the perfect weight like Scholes or Pogba. But if that's the standard than most players aren't fit to play in the middle.

Sure his strenght will surely increase, but he does not have that bulky Shaquiri type look, he is skiny. Sure he will bulk up but wont be too far away from what he looks right now.

A player of his body type must be skillful and techical above all to hide their physical disadvantages.
Thankfully Gomes is that skillful.

khoazany

Gomes's future role gonna be a 8 or 10 in a 3-man midfield. So, basically alongside or alternate to Pogba depends on his progress and the team's need. The likes of Pogba, Pereira and Gomes are pretty similar in the sense that they are creative midfielder who are at their best centrally, you can only field 1, at most 2 of them on the pitch at the same time.

Gomes works hard on the pitch, I don't think size's gonna be a major concern unless you're asking for him to contribute right away on this season (and even that with the right players surround him he'll do fine, it's not that easy to take the ball off him once he's up to speed with the new environment).

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He looks brilliant but I am a bit concerned about his size. Hopefully there's nothing to be concerned about. I mean, I didn't see him get bullied today so that's good. Time will tell overall...

In Rainbows

Gomes's future role gonna be a 8 or 10 in a 3-man midfield. So, basically alongside or alternate to Pogba depends on his progress and the team's need. The likes of Pogba, Pereira and Gomes are pretty similar in the sense that they are creative midfielder who are at their best centrally, you can only field 1, at most 2 of them on the pitch at the same time.

Gomes works hard on the pitch, I don't think size's gonna be a major concern unless you're asking for him to contribute right away on this season (and even that with the right players surround him he'll do fine, it's not that easy to take the ball off him once he's up to speed with the new environment).
Pereira is a good comparison even though I think Gomes is the superior #10. As an 8, they're almost the same with some small differences. I think Pereira is slightly better with his general weight of passing, but Gomes has the better vision. I think Gomes technique is better, but Pereira doesn't lack in that so slipping by defenders is virtually equal in the short distance. Overall dribbling Gomes is superior due to that low center of gravity and slightly superior technique. I don't think we see Pereira make his defender look silly as often as Gomes does. Pereira is better defensively, but that's something Gomes has started to improve on in the last year. Part of what makes Pereira superior is that he doesn't shirk his defensive duties where as a natural 10 tends to slack on that end. Think his superior size helps in that compared to Gomes.

Maybe it's just me, but Gomes ability on the ball makes him look less rushed than Pereira.

POF

I don't think physicality is an issue if -
He plays for a club that values technique, plays football on the ground, doesn't waste the ball, doesn't hoof the ball & plays with a team oriented type of football that aims to attack
. Such a team can learn to compensate for Gomes's 'weaknesses' if a team values his strengths.

Plus the PL is hardly a physical league in comparison to what it was a couple years ago. As seen by today, a hand on salah led to a penalty. May struggle with headers but again - would be fine for a club that played football on the ground.
Even with such a team, players need to be athletic. Look at the two Silvas, Aguero, Sterling, etc at City. They are in amazing condition and can run all day. David Silva has completely transformed as a physical specimen over the last few years. Bernardo too, this season, has changed from a forward to a player who can operate in the midfield 3. Aguero wins headers and uses his power to hold off large centre backs.

Messi has lightning speed even when dribbling with the ball.

Then you look at someone like Mata who looks completely lost in a game with open spaces. He lacks speed and physicality and it completely impacts how his team can play. United struggled to replicate some of the speed of attacking play at Cardiff in the Huddersfield game when Mata replaced Martial.

When the attacking 4 of Martial, Rashford, Lingard and Pogba look impressive, it's as much about their speed and athleticism as anything else. I'm not sure Gomes can hang with that style offensively at the moment or has the physique or defensive acumen to operate in the midfield 3. The likes of Chong or Greenwood look far better suited.

Mr Smith

Time will tell
Isco, Modric, Xavi, Carzorla, and Veratti say hi. None of them have especially remarkable strength or speed.

Also I would say Gomez still has some growing to do yet.

izec

He will grow a bit and bulk up. As soon as he gets more thicker legs and upper body strength to know how to use it, he will be fine and hard to get the ball of, without fouling. Technically, he is exceptional. Patience, hard work and a bit of luck and the lad will make it. We are not in the 80's

edgar allan

Time will tell
I think Mata had his platforms on the day they got their height measured!!

onemanarmy

He's only 1m61? That's tiny. Even Mertens is 1m69 and he seems a dwarf in comparison to most players.

Havak

Pokemon master
Happy to see him get on the pitch. The FA Cup tie against Reading should be interesting as I'm sure he'll get on the pitch there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.