Angel Gomes (United confirm departure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barnslig

He has many offers. He is currently weighing them up to make the right decision.
How do you know? Has there been any rumours as to what his next club will be? Can't say I've read or heard much.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
can't believe these arguments are still made seriously. he went to one of the strongest teams and midfields in europe and became a starter within a few months.
Exactly, that proves the other posters argument. He went to the strongest team in a weaker league, that said team dominates, and played in a three man system where he could be allowed to develop in a well protected system. Not as the center piece in a two man midfield in the most competitive league in the world. When he came to England a few years later we saw how much development he still had to do. He is undoubtedly a much better player now than he ever was in Italy. It’s just a weaker league, of course he flourished in the strongest team in a system that indulged his best qualities and didn’t ask any difficult questions of him.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
How do you know? Has there been any rumours as to what his next club will be? Can't say I've read or heard much.
He’s speculating I suspect. Most of these threads are full of speculation presented as fact. I wouldn’t be surprised if he does have offers, after all it would be crazy to turn down 30k a week and leave if you hadn’t cultivated offers elsewhere, so as speculation goes, the underlying assumptions are solid. But he’s just as likely to have one offer as he is “lots”.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Exactly, that proves the other posters argument. He went to the strongest team in a weaker league, that said team dominates, and played in a three man system where he could be allowed to develop in a well protected system. Not as the center piece in a two man midfield in the most competitive league in the world. When he came to England a few years later we saw how much development he still had to do. He is undoubtedly a much better player now than he ever was in Italy. It’s just a weaker league, of course he flourished in the strongest team in a system that indulged his best qualities and didn’t ask any difficult questions of him.
this wasn't the prime english league, this was 2012. on the precipice of a 6-year decline. not just did he do well domestically, he was part of a squad that reached the CL final. his national team record speaks for itself. he made a position for himself in a midfield that had pirlo, vidal, and marchisio. all 3 of them better than any midfielder he would have to compete with at united.

it is also not as though 3-man midfields were unknown to united, whether to accomodate scholes and veron, or in 2007 onwards against bigger teams. neither are rafael and park suited, in any way, shape, or form, to any of the positions in a 2-man midfield. park's deficiencies at that position were exposed in the most brutal fashion possible 6 months before the blackburn match. it's not like the short-term options- cleverley, phil jones, anderson, thrived in that or any other setup. finally, this whole operation cost the club about 90 million pounds and 4 years of desparately hunting for midfielders, we tried and faied with schneiderlin and fellaini too.

the point is that the talent was there all along. not nurturing the talent cost the club in many different ways. (considering the margin at the end of 2011/12, and the result of the blackburn game...)

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Did I rule out the possibility or did I say its not likely? I'll answer that for you.
I said its not likely he'll be the next Messi.

None of your mentions there are 5'3 and If Gomes is still 5'3 then height is against him. It's really not that difficult to comprehend. Out of the thousands and thousands of players you have to bring up Garrincha and Maradonna from over 30 and 40 years ago to fill a list and prove a point that little players can be world class. It's not convincing, and Gomes is still smaller.

So my opionion stands. Gomes is good little player but the likelihood he becomes the next Maradonna Messi is very very low so im not upset that hes leaving. If he does then the club and me will look silly.

I also dont think the club would let him go if they a saw a future Messi in him ??
Or he was so tiny the coaching staff barely got a look at him? Stuck amongst the trees.

AFC NimbleThumb

Because playing alongside Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal & Co. vs Herrera, Fellaini, Periera & Co. had no effect on Pogba’s ability to flourish. Put Bruno in a 2 man midfield with Fellaini/Herrera for a few seasons & see how he does - it’s a team game.

If you want to argue Serie A is weaker than EPL you may have a point but Juve were doing far more in European competition with Pogba than United have since we signed him; that isn’t simply a ‘Pogba can’t play in a 2 man midfield’ problem. It’s taken years to actually start building a functioning team since he joined.

Why people fall over themselves to criticise ‘one of our own’ will never cease to amaze me; he’s been disappointing for periods since returning but over the course of his time here has still been our most talented player by some margin.

Criticising Pogba to justify losing Gomes is poor form; we don’t know what will happen with Gomes career but we do know Pogba can win World Cups, League Titles & go far in European competitions.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Because playing alongside Pirlo, Marchisio, Vidal & Co. vs Herrera, Fellaini, Periera & Co. had no effect on Pogba’s ability to flourish. Put Bruno in a 2 man midfield with Fellaini/Herrera for a few seasons & see how he does - it’s a team game.

If you want to argue Serie A is weaker than EPL you may have a point but Juve were doing far more in European competition with Pogba than United have since we signed him; that isn’t simply a ‘Pogba can’t play in a 2 man midfield’ problem. It’s taken years to actually start building a functioning team since he joined.

Why people fall over themselves to criticise ‘one of our own’ will never cease to amaze me; he’s been disappointing for periods since returning but over the course of his time here has still been our most talented player by some margin.

Criticising Pogba to justify losing Gomes is poor form; we don’t know what will happen with Gomes career but we do know Pogba can win World Cups, League Titles & go far in European competitions.
I’m not criticising Pogba.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Yeah I think it's telling when Ole said 'I haven't heard from them or Ed this morning so I'm expecting their is no agreement' (or something very similar) - if Ole was desperate to keep this lad he would have been the one putting the calls in to secure him long term.

I suspect he and his coaches made an evaluation on the player from seeing him up close daily and weren't 100% convinced.

I mean the club made an offer to retain him but if Ole wasn't desperate then that says it all really.
But can he do it on a cold rainy night in Stoke?

At 25-30k per week thats a big risk.

EngimaMK

Making fun of people’s spirituality is a dumb exercise. Especially when it comes to footballers. Half of these guys kneel and point to the sky when they score, and it’s all good. Angel goes to see someone for a prayer for his injuries and that’s where we’re drawing the “hold up, that’s too ridiculous now” line?
Sorry mate, that whole thing was fecking ridiculous. That said, poor Angel didn't seem particularly into it. Definitely believe him when he said his parents pushed him along.

Peace out Man of God.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Watched this like 30 minutes ago, and I'm still cracking up. Is that fecked up? :lol:
Is fecked up the right term to use? He’s already said he did it to appease his very religious Mum who believes in this sort of thing. It’s fecking harmless, let them believe that crap if they want. It’s not like they’re brainwashing them into terrorists.

feck me. Some cnuts on here.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Is fecked up the right term to use? He’s already said he did it to appease his very religious Mum who believes in this sort of thing. It’s fecking harmless, let them believe that crap if they want. It’s not like they’re brainwashing them into terrorists.

Yep. And really, is it 'that' different than going to church and praying for something, which is something that millions of people do every day?

Oldyella

And he was what, 16? Not sure about anyone else but at 16 if my parents asked me to do something. I did it, even if begrudgingly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
2-3 years ago we don't know who Greenwood is. You never know in another 3 years we will have another one for midfield. Beside, we still have Garner & Hannibal which also are highly rated.

R'hllor

Not surprised by some post in here. Good luck to kid, good luck to us with Lingard and likes.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Been reported he has offers a few times but no one has said which clubs. Only club that has been mentioned is Chelsea

macheda14

I can't believe there are folk who claim to be football fans not knowing the difference between playing in a midfield two in England, and a midfield three in Italy.
The players Fergie ended up playing couldn’t play in a midfield two as they weren’t central midfielders.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Not surprised by some post in here. Good luck to kid, good luck to us with Lingard and likes.
Such a weird comment. Lingard hasn't played a single minute in the PL since January. He isn't even making the bench. If only we have given those 0 minutes to Gomes!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
this wasn't the prime english league, this was 2012. on the precipice of a 6-year decline. not just did he do well domestically, he was part of a squad that reached the CL final. his national team record speaks for itself. he made a position for himself in a midfield that had pirlo, vidal, and marchisio. all 3 of them better than any midfielder he would have to compete with at united.

it is also not as though 3-man midfields were unknown to united, whether to accomodate scholes and veron, or in 2007 onwards against bigger teams. neither are rafael and park suited, in any way, shape, or form, to any of the positions in a 2-man midfield. park's deficiencies at that position were exposed in the most brutal fashion possible 6 months before the blackburn match. it's not like the short-term options- cleverley, phil jones, anderson, thrived in that or any other setup. finally, this whole operation cost the club about 90 million pounds and 4 years of desparately hunting for midfielders, we tried and faied with schneiderlin and fellaini too.

the point is that the talent was there all along. not nurturing the talent cost the club in many different ways. (considering the margin at the end of 2011/12, and the result of the blackburn game...)
Good point about the competition at Juve in midfield at the time. Pogba had to oust Marchisio from that midfield at a time when Marchisio was doing really well and IMO better than anything we had in comparison.

passing-wind

I think it's disrespectful for posts mocking his faith many say it's naive, really and truly those religious people could laugh just as much at others for not believing in what they believe that's life.

On the topic of his career why is he recieving hatred ? The club have let him down by not allowing him to play more minutes at a time whereby we have had a dreadful midfield. Now we have much stronger options he will not develop here. The sentiments are completely understandable if this was Greenwood forcing a move, but I just feel Gomes is not favoured by Ole and the team do not play the type of football that will allow him to excel. Best of luck to him with his next career move.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves

You.... didn’t crack a smile??
Ok then. Maybe it was the music that did it for me

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
And paid him a lot more than we were offering

Back to Gomes. He will absolutely have a long list of options. I personally hope he doesn’t go to another PL club as he’s just going to have to go out on loan and he could have done that here. I reckon he’s going abroad and if he pulls up any trees and we are interested I’d be willing to bet he’d be happy to come back here if he was going to play a decent role in the squad. We complain when barca or real players want to go back but going away is often the only way to develop meaningfully. All these posters that think just staying here training should be enough for players to develop are wrong. For one thing training isn’t as intense and it doesn’t enhance your value or reputation outside the club and what happens if he takes a new deal and it’s still the same in 2 years time. What does he do then? He may as well move while his stock is high. Best of luck to him. I reckon he’s a diamond of a player but until he adds strength and experience he’ll always be in the fringes of a top clubs squad.

Last edited:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Exactly, short of begging him to stay there was nothing United could do.

If he did that just makes him sound like a bigger twat than the coward who hid behind his agent at the time.

The guy couldn't even cope in a two-man midfield in the Reserves ffs, but nobody should blame the precious darling for leaving because SAF and his coaches didn't think and for bloody good reasons that he was ready to start a Premier League match, what the actual feck :lol:

Anyho, back to the Angel Gomes thread.
Or it sounds like a player that doesn't see he's getting his chances when he sees players like Rafael play in midfield ahead of him so he joins a team with a better midfield and plays 37 matches the next season, including 8 in the CL. SAF was clearly wrong with how he handled Pogba and it cost us. Didn't even cope in the reserves, such bs.

You type away calling him a twat, a coward and precious darling. What a treat you are.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Lingard won’t be here next season and doesn’t start now. I’m sure we’ll be fine.

Gomes has showed nothing when given the chance and clearly hasn’t impressed in training.

Good luck to him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This thread is weird. Can people really not step back and see that sometimes it really isn't the best for a players development to stay at United? Its blatantly not a case of him showing nothing here, thats as naive as thinking that we didn't want to keep Pogba in 2012.

For him personally, it just wouldn't make sense. He's in a league that doesn't suit him at all, with us just signing a world class player in his position who will own the position for the next 5 or more years. Even with the assumption that it would take him longer to break through due to his size, he still has no path to being more than a backup. For a youngster as talented as Gomes, that's a big deal.

He's at an age where he feels he needs to push on and start playing regularly. Not happening in the premier league. So the answer of course has to be to take a risk on yourself and move abroad and develop elsewhere. The guy has loads of talent, ill for sure be watching his development but the size is of course an issue so I hope he chooses a club and league that suit him. The Portuguese ke Dutch leagues would be a good stepping stone, but for him I think he should go to Spain. Just is more suited to it and where I always figured he'd end up.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Which is fine, as an 18 year old he was holding his own and contributing well for a top side.

The same way I’d expect us to look after Greenwood. There shouldn’t be any burden for him to score week in.
Sorry I was responding to the debate about him not getting games at United as we played strictly 2 in the middle most of the time under Fergie

Web of Bissaka

Remind me, how come Scholes get promoted to the first team again?

Yes I get that we should move on from this, he left so.. just curious what other's are thinking.

Not saying the two of them are the same player, but I can't imagine a small kid like Scholes gets to break into a top team like United, in a freaking physical league and traditional 442 nonetheless. Think it's easier and more rational for kid Scholes to break into a 3 man midfield at CAM. SAF is a freaking genius. It's suppose to be easier for Gomes.

So I think.. Ole and the coaches just have no idea what position to play him into..? which just sounds oddly ridiculous. The league and football now also give more protection to players.. something happened behind the scenes eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.