Film Ant-man and the Wasp: Quantumania

decorativeed

All the critics said the last Black Panther was good and it was complete and total shite.

All the critics saying this is shite so I have high hopes.
I think that both films are about as good as each other. Some good, some not so good, both a touch long and ultimately quite mediocre.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
People liked this film? It was the epitome of a formula that is tired. Kang was the only good thing.

Zen

Didn't get 30 minutes in. I'm not sure Rudd's interest even got that far ... the first 2 were relatively decent standalone(ish) films in this clusterfeck of a universe thanks to Rudd.

Hamnat

Finally saw it yesterday. It was bad. All of the Modok scenes failed. They just should have jettisoned that plot and character completely. He served no purpose except bad CGI and brought down the level of "comedy" in every interaction. All the "natives" of the Quantum realm were so boring. They added no value to the plot. I kept wanting to see a little spark of character or interest from any of them and got nothing.

They would have been better served to do more of the heist type film from the first 2 honestly. They had their own fun charm. This tried to do too much and it didnt serve Kang well here imo.

arthurka

How did this movie get made? Marvel need some fresh ideas, not a Procol Harum LSD trip video. My daughter who is 12 asked if they used all the colours in this movie and I think they did.

Drifter

American
Why does Marvel have to carry on with this forced humor? And it seems it will get worse if the trailer for The Marvels is anything to go by.

Traub

I enjoyed it too but I watch so much stuff and I'm not too critical like most are here.
Ya same. My only negative is they seemed to make Kang a bit weak - he has wiped out timelines and teams of avengers but lost to Ant-man. He obviously isn’t gone, but felt a bit weak.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I watched this last night.

It was decent nonsensical fun. I find Paul Rudd eminently watchable, so that helps.

I found Cassie annoying. Loved Masters as Kang. Thought he owned every scene he's in.

6/10 is about fair. It's better than Black Panther 2 and some of the other Marvel movies out there post Endgame.

flameinthesun

I watched this last night.

It was decent nonsensical fun. I find Paul Rudd eminently watchable, so that helps.

I found Cassie annoying. Loved Masters as Kang. Thought he owned every scene he's in.

6/10 is about fair. It's better than Black Panther 2 and some of the other Marvel movies out there post Endgame.
Interesting you say that, I had the opposite thoughts with for me Black Panther 2 being more enjoyable and better overall. I guess the Ant-man movies have never quite grabbed me and this one just felt like a weaker copy of guardians. Kang was cool which kept my interest but overall there was nothing new visually or creatively to capture me. If anything I'd say, as a Marvel fan, Antman 3 is the epitomy of doing nothing new and in a series of movies where we've seen these visuals, jokes, emotional beats etc already, it felt a little like they phoned it in.

The Corinthian

Interesting you say that, I had the opposite thoughts with for me Black Panther 2 being more enjoyable and better overall. I guess the Ant-man movies have never quite grabbed me and this one just felt like a weaker copy of guardians. Kang was cool which kept my interest but overall there was nothing new visually or creatively to capture me. If anything I'd say, as a Marvel fan, Antman 3 is the epitomy of doing nothing new and in a series of movies where we've seen these visuals, jokes, emotional beats etc already, it felt a little like they phoned it in.
I found Black Panther really slow. I think it took me around 3 weeks to get through it. Ant-Man I managed to get through in one evening.

The comedy felt off in Ant-Man, but I think Paul Rudd and Masters made it watchable, and I think Kang is a more enigmatic villain then Namor in Black Panther (although he was very good as well).

Also how good does Pfeiffer look for her age.

I don't put faith into the storyline as they're all the same. Hero is in a difficult situation, but then ends up overcoming the odds. It's the same since Iron Man to now, so I'm expecting anything too different.

I also have a soft spot for this movie as I'm interested in time / quantum and space etc. so it ticks those boxes for me as well.

DevTheRed

Yeah watched this a couple of nights ago too and thought it was okay. Found Janet quite annoying.. like just talk about your past and stop putting it off am I right?!

Found Kang interesting though and thought the two end credit scenes set up different upcoming movies/series well too.

The Corinthian

Yeah watched this a couple of nights ago too and thought it was okay. Found Janet quite annoying.. like just talk about your past and stop putting it off am I right?!

Found Kang interesting though and thought the two end credit scenes set up different upcoming movies/series well too.
Oh yea, she was definitely annoying for the first half of the movie. But we hardly saw her in the second half so it was ok.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I thought it was fine, in a run-of-the-mill sort of way.
Much better than the last Thor film.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Watching Andor right after seeing this pile of shit made me realise that there's not enough quirky, jokey jokes and big flashy special effects in the world that can compete with good storytelling, acting and dialogue. In fact, Andor even has better jokey jokes and flashy special effects, so Quantumania can't even do that properly.

None of these new Marvel movies have any cohesive plot, especially when it comes to joining their extended universe together. It just seems like they approved any show or movie ideas that came across their desk in the hopes that flinging a bunch of stuff at people would be enough. Since the "Multiverse Saga" started we've had seven movies and eight shows, and barely a quarter of those have had anything to do with the fecking Multiverse. In fact, if you didn't even watch Loki you're probably wondering why Kang has just suddenly turned up as the new big bad guy in this movie.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Personally I turned it off about half way in and forgot that I haven't finished it. It's a shame since I was looking forward to watching Kang but didn't even get to him, Janet & co were too annoying (and boring at the same time).

Sylar

Watching Andor right after seeing this pile of shit made me realise that there's not enough quirky, jokey jokes and big flashy special effects in the world that can compete with good storytelling, acting and dialogue. In fact, Andor even has better jokey jokes and flashy special effects, so Quantumania can't even do that properly.

None of these new Marvel movies have any cohesive plot, especially when it comes to joining their extended universe together. It just seems like they approved any show or movie ideas that came across their desk in the hopes that flinging a bunch of stuff at people would be enough. Since the "Multiverse Saga" started we've had seven movies and eight shows, and barely a quarter of those have had anything to do with the fecking Multiverse. In fact, if you didn't even watch Loki you're probably wondering why Kang has just suddenly turned up as the new big bad guy in this movie.
I think Dr strange was the one where they really missed a chance. They should have gone universe hopping rather than just the one scene where it gave you glimpses but ended up on a universe that was the same anyway.

Spiderman worked well in terms of characters from other universes meeting up at one point.
Strange should have had characters from one going to other earth's and spending time there (altho you could argue it was more a Wanda movie)

Not related but have you seen the new guardians? It's outside the multiverse and probably the best movie since the infinity saga (imo)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think Dr strange was the one where they really missed a chance. They should have gone universe hopping rather than just the one scene where it gave you glimpses but ended up on a universe that was the same anyway.

Spiderman worked well in terms of characters from other universes meeting up at one point.
Strange should have had characters from one going to other earth's and spending time there (altho you could argue it was more a Wanda movie)

Not related but have you seen the new guardians? It's outside the multiverse and probably the best movie since the infinity saga (imo)
Yeah it just seems like the general direction of the shows and movies isn't nearly as tight as the previous Phases, which is funny considering the Phase 4 and 5 stuff seems so paint by numbers in comparison. The first three phases seemed to have a tiny bit more artistic freedom, even though everything right down to the approved musical keys and scales were decided by committee. Doctor Strange should have been absolutely insane and yet it just seemed like a safe little movie.

I haven't seen Guardians yet but I'm definitely looking forward to it. Your last sentence sounds promising :)

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Only watched this at the weekend...Kang is an interesting villain. The rest of the film I'd file under "why?"

- Didn't Antman get stuck in the quantum realm for years before until a rat set him free? Or was this something else? So he just didn't see any of this stuff at the time and Janet had no issue with him roaming about there, and Kang was just busy not being a part of the plot yet at the time?
- Why are there people in the quantum realm? Was there even an attempt at an explanation for this? I mean one of them was literally a lightbulb head man who fires lasers out of his lightbulb head. Another was a walking bowl of jelly who when you eat the jelly you can understand what everyone is saying. This seemed a really weird place to draw the suspension of disbelief line. So we should be fine with believing there's a secret tiny realm universe with a bunch of people in it who sometimes have laser lightbulbs as heads, but better put in a plot device to explain why they can speak in English? Also its not ok to have no explanation why they can speak English because that's too silly, but its fine for the explanation to be because they all drunk some jelly from this one random talking jelly man and then for some reason could all understand each other? Do marvel know what the word quantum means? because I'm sure its not this, but ok.
- Why would all the other Kangs with their vast knowledge of time and events, exile Kang to the quantum realm in one specific timeline and throw him there with a spaceship that can travel in and out of the timelines, so he can easily escape ? he would be a much more interesting villain if he didn't already make no sense. Why do they care what's happening now if they exist outside of time? Just go back and stop it 10 minutes ago before it became a problem.
- The stupid guy who was just a giant face
- When the ants "had some ideas" about how to beat Kang, then it turned out their "ideas" was just that there were fecking millions of them and they could instantly defeat him with complete ease whenever they felt like it, but apparently just couldn't be bothered to until nearly everyone was dead. Presumably they're related to the LOTR eagles.
- Again the end "we're already late"...no, you're not. You don't even abide by the concept of time. Kang is basically Rick Sanchez isn't he? In fact this whole film is basically a Rick and Morty episode. Except that's a cartoon that's written by someone who clearly does all the drugs too often, yet still has less plot holes than this film.

decorativeed

Only watched this at the weekend...Kang is an interesting villain. The rest of the film I'd file under "why?"

- Didn't Antman get stuck in the quantum realm for years before until a rat set him free? Or was this something else? So he just didn't see any of this stuff at the time and Janet had no issue with him roaming about there, and Kang was just busy not being a part of the plot yet at the time?
- Why are there people in the quantum realm? Was there even an attempt at an explanation for this? I mean one of them was literally a lightbulb head man who fires lasers out of his lightbulb head. Another was a walking bowl of jelly who when you eat the jelly you can understand what everyone is saying. This seemed a really weird place to draw the suspension of disbelief line. So we should be fine with believing there's a secret tiny realm universe with a bunch of people in it who sometimes have laser lightbulbs as heads, but better put in a plot device to explain why they can speak in English? Also its not ok to have no explanation why they can speak English because that's too silly, but its fine for the explanation to be because they all drunk some jelly from this one random talking jelly man and then for some reason could all understand each other? Do marvel know what the word quantum means? because I'm sure its not this, but ok.
- Why would all the other Kangs with their vast knowledge of time and events, exile Kang to the quantum realm in one specific timeline and throw him there with a spaceship that can travel in and out of the timelines, so he can easily escape ? he would be a much more interesting villain if he didn't already make no sense. Why do they care what's happening now if they exist outside of time? Just go back and stop it 10 minutes ago before it became a problem.
- The stupid guy who was just a giant face
- When the ants "had some ideas" about how to beat Kang, then it turned out their "ideas" was just that there were fecking millions of them and they could instantly defeat him with complete ease whenever they felt like it, but apparently just couldn't be bothered to until nearly everyone was dead. Presumably they're related to the LOTR eagles.
- Again the end "we're already late"...no, you're not. You don't even abide by the concept of time. Kang is basically Rick Sanchez isn't he? In fact this whole film is basically a Rick and Morty episode. Except that's a cartoon that's written by someone who clearly does all the drugs too often, yet still has less plot holes than this film.
I can help with the first one, as me and the kids watched Endgame the other day. Scott explains that time passes differently in the quantum realm and for him the five years passed in five hours. So not much time to discover any of the stuff in this film.

Also, you do know that this was written by one of the writers of Rick and Morty, right? I think that might explain your last point.

cafecillos

What the actual feck were they thinking when the greenlit the final design of MODOK?

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
What the actual feck were they thinking when the greenlit the final design of MODOK?
It amazes me that after all these years of dumbing down elements of the comics to make the movies more palatable for a wider audience, this is the thing they decided to basically leave as is.

Woodzy

It amazes me that after all these years of dumbing down elements of the comics to make the movies more palatable for a wider audience, this is the thing they decided to basically leave as is.
They could have easily recreated the comic book design with CGI and kept it believable in live-action (Thanos is an example). What they actually did was on par with the quality of 90s smash hit TV show Games Master.

decorativeed

They could have easily recreated the comic book design with CGI and kept it believable in live-action (Thanos is an example). What they actually did was on par with the quality of 90s smash hit TV show Games Master.
I think they wanted to make it obvious it was the guy from the first film, so they kept his face recognisable. It looked shite though, I agree.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
If they'd cast the ghost of Sir Patrick Moore as MODOK I'd have been fully onboard, CGI be damned.