Anthony Gordon | Newcastle watch

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
45m or something and he offers feck nothing. Turned 22 too so can't pretend he is a teenager anymore. I can't get my head around why Newcastle got him other than English players quotas, bang average
Weren't Chelsea after him as well?

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Hasn't impressed much this far. Pacy, work rate, but no end product. Sounds familiar. Figure Howe will get something out of him like he did Almiron tbh.

Castia

Seems to be the biggest bellend in the prem

Such a punchable face too

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
zero goals but I'm sure he's played a massive part in them being top 4

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
He wasn't brilliant today, but I'm not writing him off just yet. Howe has polished some actual turds since coming in, and Gordon is far from that. I think he'll be a different player next season with a full pre season under his belt.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

He wasn't brilliant today, but I'm not writing him off just yet. Howe has polished some actual turds since coming in, and Gordon is far from that. I think he'll be a different player next season with a full pre season under his belt.
If Howe would like to keep on signing turds to polish for upwards of 40m then he's welcome to take a couple of hard working British lads off our hands. Mctominay and Maguire for 25m each seems reasonable given the price paid for Gordon.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Everton managing to convince other PL teams that he is a promising prospect is the best thing they've done in years. He is ridiculously average, and looked ridiculously average at Everton too. Never got the hype.

Red Star One

Making a few on here look daft at the moment. He's on fire this season, looks a menace for defenders.
I always said that I never saw much special about him and that he’s mainly a pace merchant but he’s shutting me up indeed this season, looking very sharp. Still let’s see how long he can keep such form and if he can win a place in XI, today was fecking Sheffield too

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ah ok, has he been decent? I really don’t know much about him other than he’s rapid.
I've been impressed this season, looks like he's gone up a level or two. Constantly probing with his dribbling, creating chances and working really hard for the team. He won the U21 Euros player of the tournament in the summer too. Right now he's looking like money well spent.

Newcastle have been a bit rocky since the collapse vs Liverpool but overall Eddie Howe is connecting with these players and has took most of them up a couple of levels. Fair play to him.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I always said that I never saw much special about him and that he’s mainly a pace merchant but he’s shutting me up indeed this season, looking very sharp. Still let’s see how long he can keep such form and if he can win a place in XI, today was fecking Sheffield too
Yeah like I said, Howe is taking these players and helping them fulfil their potential. Half of these looked dross only 18 months ago but the turnaround has been staggering really. Not saying they're all amazing or anything but they were absolutely nowhere prior to Howe coming in.

I'm not just commenting on today but in general he's been good this season and has started most of their games. Obviously not the finished product but you can see something with him. Like you said, see how he goes on over the course of the season.

marktan

Gordon has always looked good for my money, not the finished article but he looked good at a crap Everton side. Technically very sound, good with both feet, and rapid. A lot to work with there for someone young.

A comparison is say Harvey Barnes, who is a similar player, but Gordon has always more naturally gifted on the ball

A waste of £40m is Brennan Johnson, who scores the occasional goal but doesn't have much to his game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Playing his way into the England squad at the minute, would be a frightening option to bring on if his current form persists.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Making a few on here look daft at the moment. He's on fire this season, looks a menace for defenders.
Last year he was rubbish but stepped it up this year which he had in him. Remains to be seen though if it's a purple patch. Let's not forget that Almiron looked phenomenal last year and has gone back to his average self.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Last year he was rubbish but stepped it up this year which he had in him. Remains to be seen though if it's a purple patch. Let's not forget that Almiron looked phenomenal last year and has gone back to his average self.
Almiron is late 20s though, it's a slightly different situation.

the_box

Supports
Newcastle United
Almiron is late 20s though, it's a slightly different situation.
Almiron's game was also massively improved both by adding a top class RB in Trippier (who is also not getting any younger) and his great linkup with Bruno. This season the midfield has been really misfiring with the addition of Tonali and it's affected performances all around. Still expect Howe to get it sorted but it's been a fairly steep dropoff in performance these first 6 games.

Gordon's been a real bright spot though. Massively turned things around.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
Almiron's game was also massively improved both by adding a top class RB in Trippier (who is also not getting any younger) and his great linkup with Bruno. This season the midfield has been really misfiring with the addition of Tonali and it's affected performances all around. Still expect Howe to get it sorted but it's been a fairly steep dropoff in performance these first 6 games.
While you're correct that we haven't been at our best, we started very similarly last season and were under fire for not being able to score goals and win games - we're better off on points than we were at the same stage... We also had a similar spell in January so it's something we're prone to.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Impressed with how much he has improved this season. Adding more goals and assists to his game. A shame it didn't work out with us but Newcastle was the best move for him.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
Farcical that he is overlooked in the England setup. He has 10 goal involements this season if you include penalties won, and end product is still probably the weakest part of his game.

Pretty much nothing comes through our left-hand side when he's on the pitch because of how much work he does doubling up, and because opposing full-backs are scared to push on due to his pace.

Definitely one of those players you appreciate more when he's playing for you, but even for the neutral it is surely becoming difficult to overlook him.

Andy 1892

Supports
Newcastle
Farcical that he is overlooked in the England setup. He has 10 goal involements this season if you include penalties won, and end product is still probably the weakest part of his game.

Pretty much nothing comes through our left-hand side when he's on the pitch because of how much work he does doubling up, and because opposing full-backs are scared to push on due to his pace.

Definitely one of those players you appreciate more when he's playing for you, but even for the neutral it is surely becoming difficult to overlook him.
Another important goal and dogged performance. Opposition fans relentlessly telling us we wasted £40m on him, yet he's well on his way to being our player of the season.

Torino

Supports
Newcastle United
Can’t believe he was chased down the road and hounded out by Everton fans… hopefully they learn from it.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Knew he was a surefire hit after that game against Chelsea for Everton. Mystifying that people on this forum thought he cost too much. Eddie Howe improves players.

Lee565

Southgate needs to get his head screwed on properly and start picking this lad over rashford, he has goals and assists in him along with showing something that rashford doesn't have and that is a real fighting spirit.