Anthony Martial #9

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Definitely not, when everything is going for him he knows how to place it but he's not better than Salah, Kane, Aguero and many others. Almost feels embarrassing to talk about.
Well he must have meant clinical. There are some stats shown on sky sport showing Martial as the most clinical player in the PL. Maybe that's what he meant.

Canagel

He's got a great conversion rate but that's because he basically only has a pop when he's basically guaranteed to score.
No such thing as guaranteed goal. He converts at a high rate because he doesn't panic in the front of the goal and picks his spot early usually on the bottom right. I would also suggest to him that he becomes more selfish to be even better because he always looks for teammplays even if he got into a good position himself he would rather set up someone else. Being trusted as the 9 for th whole season is a step towards changing this.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
If he made 38 starts as no.9 what would expect him to deliver in terms of end product?
For the past 4 seasons, he's played 55 games centrally, scored 22 goals+assists. That's 2.5 games per goal+assist playing centrally.
That is equivalent to 38 games, 15 goals+assists. Do you think that is good enough? Would you be happy with that?
It doesn't work like that. Taking bits and piece to draw a conclusion from is extremely faulty. If a player plays a position for 2, 3 games then switches to another position then it becomes hard for him to put consistent performances, so putting together those isolated moments he played centrally to draw a conclusion is flawed logic.

A player needs a consistent run of games to fully adapt and get a knack. You see strikers upon coming to new leagues or team go scoreless for several game upon their arrival then explode and carry a consistent streak. It's never as simple as counting the number of appearences he's made as a striker, context has to be taken into account.

SCJY

Martial is only player across our attacking line that has that ruthless streak about him, with potential to be an ice-cold assassin. He also has the ability to create a chance from nothing and is, IMO, a true match-winner. He needs to be the focal-point of our attack this season. If he bangs away a few braces and maybe 1 or 2 hat tricks, I'd be over the moon and will be an amazing confidence booster for him.

There are questions about his work rate, but I never had an issue with it. Wayne Rooney's workrate was very good, but I think it affected his longevity at the top, (combined with his lifestyle) but there were years with Rooney in the team that I wished he would stay up top and just bang in the goals. I feel that Rooney's lack of positional discipline wrecked havoc on our on-pitch organisation and attacking shape for years and for half his time with United, he was played out of position, but in reality, it seemed like we never did know what his best position actually was. Rooney considered himself as a 10, but Fergie never played with a 10, so that whole period was just a confusing mess in terms of Rooney's position.

The problem with tracking back too much in a high-pressing team is that when we regain possession, you need your main attacker to be higher up the pitch. Too many times with Lukaku did he drop deep but his technical ability and first touch let him and the whole team/attack down. He didn't seem to prioritise being in and around the box, where he is most effective. I don't understand that part of how his game progressed in the time he was with us.

Ole said outgoing players will be replaced, but it doesn't mean the replacements will or should come in the form of signings. The best part of what Ole is doing is it seems that he is willing and ready to play our players where they play best. How novel! Pogba further back, playing with a #10, Martial as a #9, playing defenders as defenders instead of repurposing crocked wingers. And actually making a concerted effort to bed in the youth. I'm really excited about this season. As long as he doesn't play Young, Matic, Mata week-in, week-out, I'll be buzzing.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
He never played at no9 consistently. 55 games over 4 years is average 13 matches per season if that is right. And I don't even think he played 55 games at no9. Apart from first 5 matches when was the other time he played there? LVG gave him license to attack the box in the beginning and then he operated as a traditional winger for Ibra and Lukaku in the Mourinho reign.
And also this. There is no way Martial has actually played 55 games for us as a striker. The most he's played as a striker for us was his debut season and even then he was quickly shifted wide(because Depay started dissappointing).

In subsequent seasons we had Mourinho who played Zlatan then Lukaku as his central players. There is no way Martial accumulated 55 games centrally while those 2 were playing with usespecially under Mourinho.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times Martial has actually played as a striker for us during his time especially since Mourinho arrived.

OldTrevil

Him getting it back shouldn’t make a difference but taking a number off a player to give to a ‘bigger’ player would be extremely demoralising, especially in the public eye.
Not only that, the "bigger" player had done nothing for Man Utd while the guy who had the number had just delivered a very good first season and was instrumental in winning the FA Cup after so may years of Utd failure in the competition. It was a huge symbol of putting the individual above all else, and anointing the new guy as some sort of king who should take whatever he wanted. I bet it didn't sit well with the rest of the players regardless of how Martial felt about it.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Not only that, the "bigger" player had done nothing for Man Utd while the guy who had the number had just delivered a very good first season and was instrumental in winning the FA Cup after so may years of Utd failure in the competition. It was a huge symbol of putting the individual above all else, and anointing the new guy as some sort of king who should take whatever he wanted. I bet it didn't sit well with the rest of the players regardless of how Martial felt about it.
I think they were thinking purely of the shirt sales more than anything, but completely agreed. It was a fecking stupid decision motivated by money and commercial gain, and completely disregarded the feelings of our players - yet again suggesting the decision makers at the club are completely out of touch when it comes to the football side of things.

SCJY

Yeah... It really has been one shitshow after another. Martial should never have lost the number 9. Zlatan was a blow-in for 1 season. Almost more akin to a loan signing journeyman and Lukaku should have had to earn it too. Having Sanchez come in and take the number 7, on those wages was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Kicked off about losing number 9, playing out wide, Mourinho, angled for a move away, generally played like he’s been on strike.
People are asking you to give them proof that he did what you mentioned. Just be aware typing it over and over doesn't constitute as proof. Where did you see him moan about playing wide and all the rest of things written in your post?

WensleyMU

Martial hasn't played 55 games as a striker. Many of these will be sub appearances for starters.

I doubt he's actually played 30 full 90 minutes as a striker. Last season he played 1600 or so minutes and scored 10 league goals. That's 18 full matches. He agreed a goal slightly better than 1 in 2... Mostly as a winger.

Over the season that's 21 goals, though you would expect his return to improve playing as a striker mostly, rather than a winger.

I've said in the bold predictions thread Martial will win golden boot with 23 goals. It's an outside bet, sure, but his numbers stack up.

ManchesterYoda

And also this. There is no way Martial has actually played 55 games for us as a striker. The most he's played as a striker for us was his debut season and even then he was quickly shifted wide(because Depay started dissappointing).

In subsequent seasons we had Mourinho who played Zlatan then Lukaku as his central players. There is no way Martial accumulated 55 games centrally while those 2 were playing with usespecially under Mourinho.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times Martial has actually played as a striker for us during his time especially since Mourinho arrived.
The numbers from 15-16 are for Martial, not for us. They include 7 games for Monaco and all 7 could have been as a striker. So think of it as 48 games for us.
Any time we've played with 2 up front, in a diamond, or 3-5-2, the 2 up front are both regarded as strikers. I agree he hasn't played 48 games as a central striker in a front 3. I've no reason to doubt he hasn't played 48 games as a "striker" in all competitions since joining us. Your doubt doesn't make me doubt.

Funky Futurista

The numbers from 15-16 are for Martial, not for us. They include 7 games for Monaco and all 7 could have been as a striker. So think of it as 48 games for us.
Any time we've played with 2 up front, in a diamond, or 3-5-2, the 2 up front are both regarded as strikers. I agree he hasn't played 48 games as a central striker in a front 3. I've no reason to doubt he hasn't played 48 games as a "striker" in all competitions since joining us. Your doubt doesn't make me doubt.
According to transfermarkt he has played 44 times as a striker for us, scoring 10 and assisting 7. However, in those 44 matches he didn't play the full game. His minutes as a striker for us was 2648, which divided by 90 is 29,42. So he has 17 goals/assists in almost 30 full games up top. Not the best, but as mentioned on here he hasn't gotten much consistent game time up here apart from his first season when he was young and raw.

OL29

Kicked off about losing number 9, playing out wide, Mourinho, angled for a move away, generally played like he’s been on strike.
When did he moan about any of these things? I’m genuinely curious because I don’t remember him ever speaking out of term. You’ve previously admitted that you dislike the guy and to be honest this just seems like another excuse to have a dig. It’s a bit unhealthy.

OL29

People are asking you to give them proof that he did what you mentioned. Just be aware typing it over and over doesn't constitute as proof. Where did you see him moan about playing wide and all the rest of things written in your post?
He doesn’t smile, that automatically makes him a disruptive presence and unprofessional. And these are the same guys that will be talking about Martial FC, not realising how irrational their own biases make them look.

ManchesterYoda

According to transfermarkt he has played 44 times as a striker for us, scoring 10 and assisting 7. However, in those 44 matches he didn't play the full game. His minutes as a striker for us was 2648, which divided by 90 is 29,42. So he has 17 goals/assists in almost 30 full games up top. Not the best, but as mentioned on here he hasn't gotten much consistent game time up here apart from his first season when he was young and raw.
At first I was confused how you got different numbers from the same source I used, then remembered, the other 4 games were central but as SS/AM.

2016-present
55 games playing central, 48 games playing central for us, 44 of those as striker, 4 as SS/AM.
22 goals playing central, 19 goals playing central for us, 17 of those as striker, 2 as SS/AM.

Goals per minute, goals+assists per minute, chances created per minute etc are all better indicators, but I don't always use on here because so many have a phobia of stats.

Funky Futurista

At first I was confused how you got different numbers from the same source I used, then remembered, the other 4 games were central but as SS/AM.

2016-present
55 games playing central, 48 games playing central for us, 44 of those as striker, 4 as SS/AM.
22 goals playing central, 19 goals playing central for us, 17 of those as striker, 2 as SS/AM.

Goals per minute, goals+assists per minute, chances created per minute etc are all better indicators, but I don't always use on here because so many have a phobia of stats.
Yeah I just went with the striker position and went with minutes more than actually games played.

I like stats, but as you say they are more indicators than anything else. You can have 50 chances created and only 4 assists, completely depends on who you create those chances for. I think he's better than when he came here, and also think him and Rashford will be used on LW and swap positions regularly. A more fluid front 3 would make a lot of sense this season.

fps

If he gets a full run as a centre forward in Man United's current squad in a 4231, in 38 games I would expect him to score about 16 goals. That's based on a fluid forward line where he is consistently the focal point but Rashford also finds himself coming central on the ends of things a fair bit.

crossy1686

career ending
When did he moan about any of these things? I’m genuinely curious because I don’t remember him ever speaking out of term. You’ve previously admitted that you dislike the guy and to be honest this just seems like another excuse to have a dig. It’s a bit unhealthy.
I disliked his attitude under Mourinho but I don't have a problem with him in general, as long as he stops having his agent spout off in the press and he acts like he wants to be here. All I ask for is 100% commitment to the cause.

TrustInOle

Could be a huge season for him, with Rashford playing LW, i feel its a good compination, especially as Rashford like a pop from range, leaves Martial open for tap ins, which brings me onto my next point.

Did anyone else notice the improvements in Martial's movement since playing as a 9 in pre-season. From previous experience i know the range of movement you need as a striker differs compared to being on the wing, with a limited amount of space to work.

With his close control and quick turn and change of pace, playing more centrally on the pitch will suit him, and he very easily has the skill set to take on the last man, unlike a certain Stormzy wanna be! We are in for a refreshing change in our attack this season lads, just please, give it time to mature.

Lebowski

Watching Jose on Sky in the studio...

"I know that Martial would rather play as the number nine - sometimes for the right reasons but sometimes because of the wrong reasons"

Clearly Jose didn't have a good relationship with him, bit given how little he works when he's played wide, a lack of professionalism / wanting to be the star of the show sounds believable.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Some players just aren’t natural grinders so to speak, if he’s given the role he wants he’s more likely to press in his zone and be a lot more effective than asking him to sacrifice his joy for football.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Some players just aren’t natural grinders so to speak, if he’s given the role he wants he’s more likely to press in his zone and be a lot more effective than asking him to sacrifice his joy for football.
Maybe that's the role he wants but not the best suited to him.

Fosu-Mens

Did well. Got in positions.

Problem is the teams ability to keep possession. Can't evaluate his movement before we actually are able to keep the ball for more than 10 seconds.

Idxomer

It'll take a while to have a good understanding between him and Rashford as they've been competing for the same position for a few years now. Hopefully, they'll get there because otherwise the our attack will be in big trouble.

Jacob

Almost cost us a goal with that misplaces pass to Pogba. Been OK at best. I expect much more.

United492

If Rashford stops thinking he's so much better than he is ..... it's like he's in competition with Pogba for tricks and flicks. Get a grip

Done well but I think he needs to stay further forward and try to run in behind a bit more.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
His work ethic is completely different. Fire in his belly.

arnie_ni

Nice wee bit of movement getting inside of the full back for the goal.