g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Anthony Martial and Willian swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northender

Supports
Preston North End
Willian has outstanding technical ability, the work-rate that a Mourinho side requires and would perfectly balance United's attack filling the slot from the right.

However, he is inconsistent (rarely good for a full season and often frustrating), almost 30 and after a couple of years would probably need replacing again.

Chelsea would be getting the better deal out of end swap deal, and whilst it's already underscrutinty, huge questions would have to be asked about Mourinho's man-management skills/his ability to get the best from players if a player with the amazing talent of Martial is forced out of the club for a safe bet like Willian who he's worked with before. Just doesn't seem to be the United way to develop players really.

Shark

@NotShark
Our club is turning into a circus. Very little business we do makes sense since SAF stepped down.

Fauzan

While Willian would bring some balance and attacking intent on the right flank, I don't want him at the expense of Martial who would shine in an attacking side. I'd take him but not in a swap deal with Martial (whether or not we're getting cash as well)

If a standalone Willian deal isn't happening, I'd rather try to get Mahrez instead and Keep Martial.

ravi2

If it takes martial to get willan then no.
Just go for Mahrez, he is the better RW anways

Tyinde

don't really get it why people choose Rashford over than Martial. Just because he is from our academy?

GBBQ

To be fair he applies that logic selectively, like with the begging for Fellaini.
Already addressed that. Fellaini has sad he wants to stay but for the right price (though that might have changed at this point). He’s keeping his options open since he is out of contract but for the right price he would stay. That’s not the same as actively wanting to leave.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
United won’t sell Martial to Chelsea.

Chelsea will see Willian to United, just as they did with Matic.

...all this Martial involvement is made up hypothetical and won’t happen.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Costa, Matic, Oscar have all left despite being good players when they left. All 3 pushed for a move elsewhere.
A bit different. Oscar wasn't playing much, Bakayoko was signed to replace Matic and Costa was a disruptive influence.

Siorac

Who's still up for this piece of genius business?
Reading back the thread is depressing, so many people were perfectly willing to sacrifice our most talented player for a decent 30-year-old.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Reading back the thread is depressing, so many people were perfectly willing to sacrifice our most talented player for a decent 30-year-old.
My conscience is clear on this one, certainly not elsewhere where I'm caning Luke Shaw or threatening to drive Martial to the airport :nervous:

I can't blame people who wanted earlier this year, when it looked all but over for Martial at this club, to cash in and look to bring in someone who would at least give 100% for the club ('a bird in the hand...' etc.) but the logic of getting in Willian as the replacement and letting Chelsea have one of our top prospects filled me with dread.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Shocking stuff really

Cloud7

More scary than depressing for me.

Devil may care

Martial is playing well and scoring goals, hopefully he's won over those that would have swapped him for Willian.

laughtersassassin

Proud to be one who was sane and was adamantly against this. Willian numbers suck in his time in the Prem.

Rajma

Usual suspects though for whose Jose can do no wrong, no surprise really.

Last edited:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Christ. The state of some of the posts in here. There was a time when Willian over a sulking, unproductive Martial would not have been insane. A motivated, in-form Martial is clearly a better bet. Neither saying it was a good move nor saying it was not make you a footballing genius.

Rajma

Christ. The state of some of the posts in here. There was a time when Willian over a sulking, unproductive Martial would not have been insane. A motivated, in-form Martial is clearly a better bet. Neither saying it was a good move nor saying it was not make you a footballing genius.
Difficult to be productive when you're getting played once a month and not allowed to have a run of games. Nothing wrong with calling out people.

JohnnyKills

Not so sure about the Martial-Willian thing but some of the comments about Martial over the summer were disgraceful. Some of those top Reds who kept slating him in some weird attempt to prove their loyalty to Mourinho should be ashamed of themselves.

Still ill

Difficult to be productive when you're getting played once a month and not allowed to have a run of games. Nothing wrong with calling out people.
Who are you calling out? Jose? You're making the call there that Tony has been bursting himself behind the scenes the whole time, held back by an unjust and tyrannical overlord who has finally buckled under the pressure and released his young tyro to wreak havoc on all that face us. I don't buy that scenario. I'm glad Tony's still with us and I hope the penny is starting to drop with him.

Borden

Ten years ago?

R'hllor

Usual suspects though for whose Jose can do no wrong, no surprise really.
Certain section having a go at certain players had nothing to do with those players directly anyway. This summer we had situation when they tried to turn Martial into enemy just because they saw him as beating stick for their **** leader.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
This deal was really strange to be honest. Chelsea would absolutely have to offer Cash + Willian because of the age difference, and for some reason buying Willian outright wasn't even suggested by the papers. He would have been a good option on our right wing but I guess Chelsea wanted way too much for him.

Skills

Snitch
Who are you calling out? Jose? You're making the call there that Tony has been bursting himself behind the scenes the whole time, held back by an unjust and tyrannical overlord who has finally buckled under the pressure and released his young tyro to wreak havoc on all that face us. I don't buy that scenario. I'm glad Tony's still with us and I hope the penny is starting to drop with him.
So what you're saying is his lack of professionalism is what's held him back all these years under mourinho? It's a pretty serious allegation, so where's the evidence for this?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No chance. We would need to replace Willian in next to no time. Martial is young and is now showing what he can do. We really need to be looking to the future, not constant quick fixes.

Still ill

Ten years ago?
Well, no. When we were churning out performance after performance with practically zero contribution from out wide. I sometimes wonder have people seen Willian play. I was never an advocate of this deal and don't believe it was ever an actual thing but people talk about it as if Tony was always a sure thing and Willian is not an outstanding player.

Still ill

So what you're saying is his lack of professionalism is what's held him back all these years under Mourinho? It's a pretty serious allegation, so where's the evidence for this?
A serious allegation? Good Lord. I think he needs to try harder. I think he has sulked in the past. I think he gets distracted. I love watching him. I want him to be the best player he can be. All of this seems reasonable to me. I'm neither a Jose nor a Tony fanboy. I'm a United fan.

Red_toad

Not so sure about the Martial-Willian thing but some of the comments about Martial over the summer were disgraceful. Some of those top Reds who kept slating him in some weird attempt to prove their loyalty to Mourinho should be ashamed of themselves.
Ditto some of the ‘top reds’ slating Jose in a weird attempt to prove their loyalty to Martial.

Siorac

No there was not.

Saying it would have been a terrible deal does not make you a footballing genius, it makes you a person with a shred of common sense. Saying it would have been a good deal, well... that says something else entirely.

Signing Willian would have been okay for a very limited fee or a free transfer a la Ibrahimovic. Swapping him for Martial or paying the fees quoted in the press never made any sense whatsoever and I'm very happy we stayed away.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Perhaps we should be glad Woodward isn't always listening to Jose :)

Siorac

Well, no. When we were churning out performance after performance with practically zero contribution from out wide. I sometimes wonder have people seen Willian play. I was never an advocate of this deal and don't believe it was ever an actual thing but people talk about it as if Tony was always a sure thing and Willian is not an outstanding player.
So, our last game before Sanchez's arrival was Burnley away. We won that 1-0 with Martial scoring the winner.

After Sanchez's arrival, Martial started 6 games out of 21. Blaming him for us churning out performance after performance with practically zero contribution from out wide is so extremely unfair that it's hard to take it seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.