Anthony Martial and Willian swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Not saying I want it to happen or strongly believe it will happen, but if he wants to move (and lets face it, you could understand why Martial would want to leave given his lack of games under Mourinho) then Mourinho might look to have a deal that has a player he admires coming the other way.

Swap deals are rare enough but in an inflated market i think they might become more frequent.
I get that. However, people are making the ludicrous assumption he'd plump for an exchange deal for Willian just because he likes him as a player. It would go against his standard M.O with swap deals. For me rumours like Martial for Pulisic, Martial for Bailey, Martial plus cash for Griezmann, Martial for Dybala make way more sense than Martial for a 30 year old. Even if that player is Willian. Mourinho is not a fool

Decomposing In Paris

The irony of all this is that Willian and Sanchez are just the sort of players who would really complement Martial.

Combined they have youth and experience, pace and mental fortitude... goals, assists, good delivery and work rate... With more quality and confidence at the back, our fullbacks can squeeze up, which would negate the need for 3 in midfield. Play these three behind Lukaku and we'd score a hell of a lot of goals.

There are going to be games were we will definitely need a midfield 3, but this option excites me. It would though probably mean that in addition to signing Willian, we'd need top quality additions at CM, CB, and LB (with Young and Valencia competing for RB).

Vanya

Its unfortunate because the talent is there, but he just doesnt play at the tempo and with the desire that Mourinho requires.

He needs to leave. And we need to replace him with Douglas Costa and Willian.

redIndianDevil

Chelsea also face the same, they face the teams that defend deep. 1 bad game won't change that. No, his close control and ability in tight spaces is much better than Young and Valencia. He is few levels better than Young and Valencia.
Exactly my point, he is struggling for Chelsea, he will struggle for us too.

redIndianDevil

I really like Willian, but perhaps more in the brilliant to have on the bench-kind of way. Yesterday he played well and went on an amazing run, but that run ended with a goal at the other side of the pitch because he couldn’t make up his mind. He has a good delivery on him, great touch and tempo, but not the output over time.

If we’re going for a new starter on the right side, he’s not the man.
This. He is like a headless chicken most of the times, especially against deep defences. He is struggling for Chelsea, how would he be good for us? He had once decent season at Chelsea where every one downed tools. Even in Chelsea's title winning season under Conte, he played little part as Pedro was outstanding. We'd force to convert him into a RB in a year if we end up buying him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Stats doesn't back that up, if Martial is struggling so is Willian. Chelsea are not even going to make it to the top 4, why is that?
Stats are not everything, especially for a player like Willian. I have already explained that in this thread.

Decomposing In Paris

He isn't struggling.
I agree, he isn't struggling. He did, however, start 15 of his 35 Premiership appearances from the bench, and was on the bench quite a bit last season too. He's made fewer club appearances than Martial, and although he's played more minutes, he has fewer goals and assists. So I agree with you, and think he'd be an asset, but I also agree with those who argue that Martial isn't particularly struggling either... he just plays for Manchester United (so he's crap) and he's 22.

redIndianDevil

Stats are not everything, especially for a player like Willian. I have already explained that in this thread.
Signing Willian is not going to improve the tempo of the passing, so it will be just as tumescent as it's now. So Willian is going to be up against deep defences, his close control is not as good enough as you make it out to be, at best we can expect him to stretch defences. I'm not convinced that he is going to improve us by that much.

roonster09

Scout
I agree, he isn't struggling. He did, however, start 15 of his 35 Premiership appearances from the bench, and was on the bench quite a bit last season too. He's made fewer club appearances than Martial, and although he's played more minutes, he has fewer goals and assists. So I agree with you, and think he'd be an asset, but I also agree with those who argue that Martial isn't particularly struggling either... he just plays for Manchester United (so he's crap) and he's 22.
Conte made a big mistake not playing Willian.

We shouldn't do any swap deal though, don't want to watch Martial tearing apart defenders in Chelsea shirt. We should sign him if we can in cash only deal.

roonster09

Scout
Signing Willian is not going to improve the tempo of the passing, so it will be just as tumescent as it's now. So Willian is going to be up against deep defences, his close control is not as good enough as you make it out to be, at best we can expect him to stretch defences. I'm not convinced that he is going to improve us by that much.
What a way to under play that. Not sure whether you watched him play at all going by what you posted since yesterday.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Kingsley Coman or Leon Bailey are the wingers you could justify sacrificing Martial for - I rate Willian highly but he’s ageing. Id rather send Sanchez to Chelsea instead to be honest, but that won’t happen.

This reminds me of Ferguson scrapping the deal to sign Lewandowski to get Van Persie ahead of City to ensure one final title win, knowing RVP was on his last legs; Willian will be an asset for a few years then decline, which Jose won’t have to worry about because he won’t be here anyway.

Bwuk

Kingsley Coman or Leon Bailey are the wingers you could justify sacrificing Martial for - I rate Willian highly but he’s ageing. Id rather send Sanchez to Chelsea instead to be honest, but that won’t happen.

This reminds me of Ferguson scrapping the deal to sign Lewandowski to get Van Persie ahead of City to ensure one final title win, knowing RVP was on his last legs; Willian will be an asset for a few years then decline, which Jose won’t have to worry about because he won’t be here anyway.
Agree with most of this. Except Fergie did that because RvP was world class. Willian isn't.

I can't believe the abuse a 22 year old who shows as much promise as Martial does gets on this forum. Half of this fourm would of wanted rid of Beckham and Scholes when they were breaking through.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Agree with most of this. Except Fergie did that because RvP was world class. Willian isn't.

I can't believe the abuse a 22 year old who shows as much promise as Martial does gets on this forum. Half of this fourm would of wanted rid of Beckham and Scholes when they were breaking through.
He gets brutalised despite generally actually looking like a footballer when he’s given anything that resembles a run in the team - take away Lukaku’s tap ins against cannon fodder and he’s a hugely inferior player to Martial, and for a big fella isn’t a strong target man either. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact LVG signed Martial.

Willian would be an immediate asset and add balance, but so would Coman, and over a much longer period. Straight swap with Bayern would work.

RedNed77

This comment for me highlights, how completely clueless the people who would be up for this, are.
Woah woah woah, hold your horses there keyboard warrior. I know its upsetting for you and the rest of the fans of Martial United FC that your favourite boy may be about to be shown the door but, the age of Uniteds players are less important to me than what our players do on the pitch. Correct me if I'm wrong but Bayern have been doing considerably better than us in terms of trophies, football quality & entertainment levels with their ancient wingers than we have with our young Nani protege. Martial may end up being a decent player, but you and many others on here truly love to elevate a young player to levels they are not at and will in all likelihood never reach (think TFM, Tuanzebe, Januzaj, Martial) it happens all the fecking time and is becoming tedious.

For me, i'd rather we got in a player who will consistently fulfill the role the manager asks of him; i.e. puts in a shift whilst at the same time showing class, skills and graft regardless of what is going on around him. All things Willian would almost definitely deliver for at least 3 years, maybe 4. None of which Martial seems able or willing to do on anything near a consistent basis. Feck it if we have to replace him in 3 years, its not my money and its not yours either, unless you are saying that Martial is the last great young player the world is ever likely to see and there's no chance we'll ever be able to find another player like him? Which would be a little weird given there are three or four players in the French team already who are similar in what they bring and do?

redIndianDevil

Willian's best has been during the season Mourinho got fired from Chelsea, when everyone downed tools, he was effectively a sub to Pedro last season, this season he hasn't set the league alight either.

flappyjay

Woah woah woah, hold your horses there keyboard warrior. I know its upsetting for you and the rest of the fans of Martial United FC that your favourite boy may be about to be shown the door but, the age of Uniteds players are less important to me than what our players do on the pitch. Correct me if I'm wrong but Bayern have been doing considerably better than us in terms of trophies, football quality & entertainment levels with their ancient wingers than we have with our young Nani protege. Martial may end up being a decent player, but you and many others on here truly love to elevate a young player to levels they are not at and will in all likelihood never reach (think TFM, Tuanzebe, Januzaj, Martial) it happens all the fecking time and is becoming tedious.

For me, i'd rather we got in a player who will consistently fulfill the role the manager asks of him; i.e. puts in a shift whilst at the same time showing class, skills and graft regardless of what is going on around him. All things Willian would almost definitely deliver for at least 3 years, maybe 4. None of which Martial seems able or willing to do on anything near a consistent basis. Feck it if we have to replace him in 3 years, its not my money and its not yours either, unless you are saying that Martial is the last great young player the world is ever likely to see and there's no chance we'll ever be able to find another player like him? Which would be a little weird given there are three or four players in the French team already who are similar in what they bring and do?
It's not Martial fc. As some have said they would be ok with selling Martial to get someone else but not willian. It's not just about his age there is a reason why he starts so many games from the bench and it's because he is not good enough. He would be an upgrade on the right wing by default since we have no actual right winger. If we were to get rid of martial why not get someone like mahrez, douglas costa not willan

RedNed77

It's not Martial fc. As some have said they would be ok with selling Martial to get someone else but not willian. It's not just about his age there is a reason why he starts so many games from the bench and it's because he is not good enough. He would be an upgrade on the right wing by default since we have no actual right winger. If we were to get rid of martial why not get someone like mahrez, douglas costa not willan
I see where you’re coming from but Douglas Costa whilst skillfull and quick has a tendency to overelaborate or disappear. Two issues I have with Martial. He also has no proven experience in the premier league. He’s just as likely to flop as he is be a world beater. As for Mahrez, I like him although once again he can disappear for long periods. Not as much as a grafter as Willian either although probably a bit more skilful. The people on here who don’t think Willian is special enough were probably the ones saying the Matic signing last year was unambitious, he was too old and not what we should have been going for. He was our 2nd best player of the season after Dave.

Silas

What's your point? Bayern have been more successful (while in a one horse league) with once world-class players Robben and Ribery, so we should sell the 22-year old Martial for the (not world class) Willian? How are they related? Things like quality of football and entertainment levels are to do with the manager and style of play, not individual players.

TrebleFan99

What's your point? Bayern have been more successful (while in a one horse league) with once world-class players Robben and Ribery, so we should sell the 22-year old Martial for the (not world class) Willian? How are they related? Things like quality of football and entertainment levels are to do with the manager and style of play, not individual players.
Dear God if you’re implying Martial is on the level of a young Ribery or Robben I disagree.

He’s not getting games for a reason.

These kinds of comparisons are insane.

Silas

Dear God if you’re implying Martial is on the level of a young Ribery or Robben I disagree.

He’s not getting games for a reason.

These kinds of comparisons are insane.
Did you actually read my post? Where did I say that? My whole point was that the situations weren't comparable.

TrebleFan99

Did you actually read my post? Where did I say that? My whole point was that the situations weren't comparable.
I just don’t see the point of Bayern being mentioned here.

If we get an upgrade on Martial (ie any player who will start regularly) then he can go. I’m not anti Martial per se but I get the feeling he’s leaving and I’m indifferent so long as the first 11 improves.

MUFC OK

Yeah why not, straight swap, sell everyone else but Fellaini and Matic, Fellaini (C) and build from there :devil:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Seems to be the only Willian threat in the transfer forum, but anyway. Obviously dont want him for Martial, but Willian is definitely going to leave IMO.

On his Instagram story from yesterday he covered Conte from the team pic with emojis (not coincidental at all if you look at it, pretty blatant). So good chance Mourinho goes for him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Yes sign Willian, no to a swap

Dr. StrangeHate

In fairness Mourinho has said many times that he would never keep a player who did not want to be at united. if Martial is agitating for a move and Chelsea were to offer Willian plus cash i could see it happening.
To be fair he applies that logic selectively, like with the begging for Fellaini.

TheHeya

Would love Willian in our team but don’t want Martial to leave. Rather get Mahrez and keep Martial as well.

lex talionis

I'm more inclined to let Sanchez go than Martial, even if Martial struggled this season. Sell Sanchez, bring in Willian.

starman

I rate Martial highly, but i can never see him being a permanent first teamer under Mou. Nor do i want to see a direct opponent strengthened. i would rather offer him up to Barca for Dembele consider there are rumours he might leave.

ArjenIsM3

I think it's pretty clear that one of Conte and Willian is going to leave. Which one it's going to be depends on Abramovich really. But let's face it. They're not going to give us Willian after what happened with Matic. Unless we pay an insane amount of money of course. I want us to get a RW in but I'd rather we go for someone more attainable (Mahrez? Bailey? Perhaps even Bale??) instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.