Anthony Martial and Willian swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajma

Utter crap today, and his overall productivity for a wide man is appalling. He shouldn’t be anywhere near our transfer list. Don’t see any top clubs lining up for him?

Last edited:

reddaz71

Is Willian a world class player? Is he or will he be an upgrade in his position in our team? Is he a better player than Martial at the moment? does Willian have a stronger work ethic and better attitude? The majority of those questions if not all are a resounding answer of yes.

Clearly the Martial fan boys need to wake up and take the blinkers off,hes good,but he is not that good!

Rajma

Is Willian a world class player? Is he or will he be an upgrade in his position in our team? Is he a better player than Martial at the moment? does Willian have a stronger work ethic and better attitude? The majority of those questions if not all are a resounding answer of yes.

Clearly the Martial fan boys need to wake up and take the blinkers off,hes good,but he is not that good!
1. Not even close 2. Yes, but that’s like saying any LB will be upgrade on Young given our right wing situation. 3. Yes, but we need a real goal threat and numbers, which he doesn’t provide and not a defensive winger.

Nothing to do with Martial, I’m not to bothered if he gonna get sold, but Willian at his age and with his stats shouldn’t be considered as a candidate for our team.

Mahrez while playing for Leicester has almost double the goals and more assists compared to Willian, just to put things into perspective.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Not even close to being world class

Mercurial

I just don't rate him all that highly. Decent player, with a good work ethic but he doesn't add anything special to me.

He's never really stood out to me at Chelsea and I doubt they'd miss him all that much.
He is a 'toe the line' man to the Mourinho school of policy. He survived russia transit in fierce competition and has massive experience in CL for years even before Chelsea. We should straight up just buy him vs a trade. The guy is loyal to the last drop of blood it seem (similar to Jesse Lingard), something i think we need more of.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Douglas Costa would be great to replace Martial with. Can play as a winger on either side while still keeps the pace and dribbling that Martial offers. Less of a scorer, more of a creator. Willian... no thanks. Pulisic would be pointless too. Perisic hopefully not. Just Douglas Costa, or leon bailey but obviously not as an exchange.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

If Willian was world class, he wouldnt be on the bench most of the time for Conte. Very good player and would do well on our right wing, but exchange would be shit.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Whats Mourinho got to do with this? Martial got offered an extension, yet he wants to leave. So isn't it a bit of a hyperbole, in saying Martial for Willian would one of the most embarrassing decisions we made in years? We would be getting a player who Mourinho wants to work with and vice versa whilst getting rid of a player who's got two years on his contract.

Oh and I don't really know what Mourinho thinks of Martial but I'm sure he's more in the know than most people seeing as he's his manager.
It's not about knowledge it's about perceptions, beliefs, predictions. All very subjective and imprecise things. Mourinho has never tried to make him a pivotal part of the team in the way that van Gaal did. They saw two very different players. Which of them is right about Martial is entirely debatable. Knowledge evidently isn't the decisive factor.

The effect of that on Martial's career decisions are pretty obvious. If Mourinho would then allow him to go to Chelsea, it would be the ultimate sign of hubris in this regard. I like Willian but I would be shocked if Martial doesn't go on to be a much better player. So no I don't think it's hyperbole. Going after one of Mourinho's men while getting rid of one of the most expensive teenagers in history, and one of the most promising players we've ever had, would be ridiculous on so many levels.

Scholsey2004

I reckon we sell martial to juve and they let us buy Sandro. One hand washes the other. We sell a very good left winger we don't really need and we get a world class full back who juve know will leave sooner or later, probably for less than we would be willing to pay.

Scholsey2004

Incidentally I don't think mourinho wants players like martial and rashford on the wings in this particular team. I think he's looking for pace and width to come from the full backs and the attacking midfielders to be the more technically gifted Sanchez types. I wouldn't be surprised if after a few years of coming up against guardiola teams he's decided thats the way forward.

SER19

I'd sooner sell him than swap for a player who turns 30 in August and give a rival a talented youngster

rollingstoned1

Sterling is miles ahead of Martial in ability though. I agree with you that there were some mental issues with him leaving Liverpool but that was more like "give me what I want, I deserve it" which is attitude players need. Martial is like "lemme call my cousin so he can leak what I want"
No way is that true, we are just not a team that have been a hub for young attacking talents since Fergie's latter years. Sterling or Sane in our team would look like clueless, technique-less speed merchants who will be camped in our half and be dispossessed half the time because of how we set up and then be benched or hooked off for a workhorse bot because they do what Mourinho wants. I think Martial is a lot more talented than Sterling.

Eugenius

This concept we don't need Martial because we have a Sanchez on the left...

Have you guys seen Sanchez play this season? Martial has been far the better player. If he gave the ball away as much as Sanchez has done in most of his games he'd never play again under Jose.

It reminds me a bit of the Falcao, RVP and Rooney situation where we got rid of all our attackers, only for the big names to actually be past it and shite.

haram

This concept we don't need Martial because we have a Sanchez on the left...

Have you guys seen Sanchez play this season? Martial has been far the better player. If he gave the ball away as much as Sanchez has done in most of his games he'd never play again under Jose.

It reminds me a bit of the Falcao, RVP and Rooney situation where we got rid of all our attackers, only for the big names to actually be past it and shite.
Sanchez is proven world class. Sanchez will lose it but win it back. Sanchez will turn up and turn games like Spurs in the semi and City at the Etihad.

GM K

And where have I said I am a Jose fan. Last thing I remember, I said I was on the fence regarding Jose's upcoming 3rd season.

If someone says Jose, a genuine trophy winning manager is better than Sarri, he is a Jose fan? Bizarre. And that was in response to you ignoring his work with Porto, vs Barca with Inter and again vs Barca with Real.

True. Credit to Sarri for building a team like Spurs that can "put the pressure on". Now, he was a point or two ahead of this Juventus side. Is it that hard to win the last few games and not bottle to Juve? Ok, forget the league. Not that hard to win a Coppa with that Napoli squad is it?

So much underestimation of the mentality it takes to win. Juve are a better squad but when you have done 90% of the work, then you can finish the 10%.

Of course, it is still a tall order which is why I said wait and see next season if he atleast wins a domestic cup while keeping Napoli up there in the league.

Even Allardyce is a winner for keeping Sunderland up that season. Yes, managers are winners in different ways. But at Poch's or Sarri's level, winning requires a trophy to show in their CV for being truly considered among the elite.
I agree with this position.

Poch and Sarri have reached that level where silverware begins to count. They are good managers, no doubt, but at the elite level of football, it is very much about winning trophies.

GBBQ

I repeat. This speculation is pure nonsense. Mourinho may fancy Willian but never at the expense of a Martial. If you believe he can do such you really don't know him at all.
In fairness Mourinho has said many times that he would never keep a player who did not want to be at united. if Martial is agitating for a move and Chelsea were to offer Willian plus cash i could see it happening.

redIndianDevil

Sterling is miles ahead of Martial in ability though. I agree with you that there were some mental issues with him leaving Liverpool but that was more like "give me what I want, I deserve it" which is attitude players need. Martial is like "lemme call my cousin so he can leak what I want"
Sterling is the worst finisher ever, even he has managed to score a shit load of goals for City, and no Sterling is not a better player than Martial, if you put Sterling in our side, he be worser than Lingard and Martial has been for us. The way he pops up in the box is because Guardiola and his team of coaches have taught their players to move well, something our manager and coaches has no idea of implementing in our squad.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Wonder how many would have agreed with that one after 2015-16 season.

redIndianDevil

Yep judge him based on one game
Many people on here judge Martial for a few games too. And stats wise Willian has been poorer than Martial, he is just a glorified Young and Valencia for me, runs around, puts in crosses for target men upfront. He'd struggle for us very much for majority of games because he'd get no space to run when facing weaker teams than us, he might look good when we park the bus against a few sides on the break and that's it.

MUFC OK

Really don't like seeing this thread title so frequently, I want to forget this rumour was ever made. I hope and am pretty sure it is paper talk.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Many people on here judge Martial for a few games too. And stats wise Willian has been poorer than Martial, he is just a glorified Young and Valencia for me, runs around, puts in crosses for target men upfront. He'd struggle for us very much for majority of games because he'd get no space to run when facing weaker teams than us, he might look good when we park the bus against a few sides on the break and that's it.
No many people on here are United supporters and as such have seen most if not all of Martial's games for the club and are basing their opinions on that

roonster09

Scout
Willian is like Messi compared to Young and Valencia when it comes to playing in tight spaces and dribbling in general. And no Willian just doesn't crosses for target man.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
In fairness Mourinho has said many times that he would never keep a player who did not want to be at united. if Martial is agitating for a move and Chelsea were to offer Willian plus cash i could see it happening.
There is literally no actual evidence the lad wants to jump ship though. Besides, even when he last did swap deals. He exchange players of about the same age and profile. Eg Gallas for Cole, Ibrahimovic for Etoo. Willian for Martial wouldnt be a good long term deal at all

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
There is literally no actual evidence the lad wants to jump ship though.
He's made plenty of noise through the press recently with his agent, he wants to play more regularly and I don't blame him. I really do think he's going this year, but I hope it'll just be a loan. We would be mad to sell him.

GBBQ

There is literally no actual evidence the lad wants to jump ship though. Besides, even when he last did swap deals. He exchange players of about the same age and profile. Eg Gallas for Cole, Ibrahimovic for Etoo. Willian for Martial wouldnt be a good long term deal at all
Not saying I want it to happen or strongly believe it will happen, but if he wants to move (and lets face it, you could understand why Martial would want to leave given his lack of games under Mourinho) then Mourinho might look to have a deal that has a player he admires coming the other way.

Swap deals are rare enough but in an inflated market i think they might become more frequent.

laughtersassassin

This sub rates Willian way too high. Plenty of our fans say Martial doesn't score or assist enough. What you going to say about Willian who cant ever hit double digits. His output is mediocrity at its finest and his work rate doesnt make up for that.

I'm fine selling Martial for the right replacement but Willian is NOT the right replacement.

Openshaw53

I would agree preferably any business with Chelsea would include Hazard , but that ain't going to happen , and tbh I don't see any mileage in the Willian / Martial suggestion.

But for me it would be an absolute no brainier similar to Sanchez and MikiT , Jose wants tried tested ,proven quality now not in two years , that's if Martial goes on .

The jury is out for me on Martial he need to up it big style , or he will be back to the French league ( still on a wedge) and that's his problem for me , he doesn't look to have the determination.

Willian on the other hand is a top international at the top of his game , looks intelligent ( AM looks a bit thick to me) and suits the Jose profile.

Exactly why I can't see it happening , but the Sanchez and Matic deals went through so you never know.

redIndianDevil

Willian is like Messi compared to Young and Valencia when it comes to playing in tight spaces and dribbling in general. And no Willian just doesn't crosses for target man.
When he has no space to maneuver, he is just like Ashley Young or Valencia, he resembled them yesterday and will do the same for us to. We constantly face teams that sit deep, and we don't seem to improve our passing too, so Willian for us will exactly be like Young or Valencia, constantly finding himself crowded out and will resolve to put in crosses.

redIndianDevil

Why is he practically begging Fellaini to stay then?

GBBQ

roonster09

Scout
When he has no space to maneuver, he is just like Ashley Young or Valencia, he resembled them yesterday and will do the same for us to. We constantly face teams that sit deep, and we don't seem to improve our passing too, so Willian for us will exactly be like Young or Valencia, constantly finding himself crowded out and will resolve to put in crosses.
Chelsea also face the same, they face the teams that defend deep. 1 bad game won't change that. No, his close control and ability in tight spaces is much better than Young and Valencia. He is few levels better than Young and Valencia.

haram

What a clueless post.

flappyjay

If we want a player for the right we should sell Martial outright and get Mahrez, Leon Bailey. Not willian, they say stats are not everything but they are everything for a player playing in the frontline of a team with aspirations to win the league and champions league

James Peril

I really like Willian, but perhaps more in the brilliant to have on the bench-kind of way. Yesterday he played well and went on an amazing run, but that run ended with a goal at the other side of the pitch because he couldn’t make up his mind. He has a good delivery on him, great touch and tempo, but not the output over time.

If we’re going for a new starter on the right side, he’s not the man.

roonster09

Scout
I get that. However, people are making the ludicrous assumption he'd plump for an exchange deal for Willian just because he likes him as a player. It would go against his standard M.O with swap deals. For me rumours like Martial for Pulisic, Martial plus cash for Griezmann, Martial for Dybala make way more sense than Martial for a 30 year old. Even if that player is Willian
Are you talking to yourself?

Status
Not open for further replies.