Anthony Martial | Sevilla loan watch

UncleBob

Has anyone suggested he might be struggling with mental health issues yet

Roboc7

When he comes back he just needs to be told his Utd career is finished and find a new club. His wages make him pretty much worthless in terms of a fee but he’ll only runs his contract down sitting on the bench. He doesn’t want to be at Utd anymore and he can’t even motivate himself elsewhere to put himself in the shop window. Make an example and get rid.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
When he comes back he just needs to be told his Utd career is finished and find a new club. His wages make him pretty much worthless in terms of a fee but he’ll only runs his contract down sitting on the bench. He doesn’t want to be at Utd anymore and he can’t even motivate himself elsewhere to put himself in the shop window. Make an example and get rid.
So your saying let him go for free at a point when next season there is a legitimate chance we will have no first-team strikers?

Also what would you suggest you do if he can't find a club who will match his wages and he decides to see out his contract?

Greck

He tried to sign Haaland and brought Greenwood into the first team...
He also tried to sign Sancho, then got him and we saw what he did with him. Trying to sign every big name isn't some badge of honour. Ole was an enabler of mediocrity and it's pretty telling he went 0 for 4 on strikers this season. Martial, Cavani, Rashford, Ronaldo (and Greenwood at a stretch) all flopped or underwhelmed in the same season, most because of jarring mentality flaws. This isn't simply bad luck. Just how shite can one be at building a team? This is the strike line of a 3 year rebuild he was entrusted. Tried to give him the benefit of the doubt that he at least built a decent attack but even that turned out to be smoke and mirrors. Least he could have done was identify a single capable striker.

Last edited:

Hughes35

Recruitment of players like Martial etc really shows what Fergie was so good at.

He was a master of buying players that worked hard. That's what Klopp does too. He'd take 11 Origis over 11 Martials any day and they would win even though they have less ability.

Mainoldo

Recruitment of players like Martial etc really shows what Fergie was so good at.

He was a master of buying players that worked hard. That's what Klopp does too. He'd take 11 Origis over 11 Martials any day and they would win even though they have less ability.
I don’t know how anyone can criticise a 18 year old star in the making Martial signing :lol:

The fools will always talk I suppose.

For what it’s worth. Martial has Fergie signing all over him. Deference is we win leagues and Martial because a top player.

crossy1686

career ending
He also tried to sign Sancho, then got him and we saw what he did with him. Trying to sign every big name isn't some badge of honour. Ole was an enabler of mediocrity and it's pretty telling he went 0 for 4 on strikers this season. Martial, Cavani, Rashford, Ronaldo (and Greenwood at a stretch) all flopped or underwhelmed in the same season, most because of jarring mentality flaws. This isn't simply bad luck. Just how shite can one be at building a team? This is the strike line of a 3 year rebuild he was entrusted. Tried to give him the benefit of the doubt that he at least built a decent attack but even that turned out to be smoke and mirrors. Least he could have done was identify a single capable striker.
I'm not saying he wasn't. The poster was trying to make out that Solskjaer only had ambitions to sign Cavani and Ronaldo, which is a strange thing to critisice him for when there's plenty to actually criticise him for, you don't have to look that hard.

Denis79

Think it's a mix of two things, as you mentioned the lack of research done on his personality is a concern but alao the dressing room mentality when he joined. There is no way a 18 year old Martial would develop in the direction he did if the dressing room was full of hard-working team players.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Rashford, Ronaldo and greenwood looked like they were going to be red hot at one stage, supplemented by martial and cavani. I don’t know why they decided to bring in Ronaldo; it all seemed to stem from that

Roboc7

So your saying let him go for free at a point when next season there is a legitimate chance we will have no first-team strikers?

Also what would you suggest you do if he can't find a club who will match his wages and he decides to see out his contract?
So your keeping a player just to be an extra body in the squad, a player that doesn’t want to be at the club and will never apply himself. Essentially you want to just keep making all the same mistakes and maintain the lack of accountability throughout the squad because scared of letting someone who isn’t good enough go.

Martial will in effect sit his contract out for next two years, similar to what Lingard has done this season. Maybe he’ll have an odd game here and there, maybe another loan but he’s no loss. At some point have to start getting rid of players and correcting all the mistakes. The difference between him being part of the squad or rotting in the reserves is negligible. But players rarely sit out two years, it’s a gamble but he’s most likely to give in first.

Last edited:

Hughes35

I don’t know how anyone can criticise a 18 year old star in the making Martial signing :lol:

For what it’s worth. Martial has Fergie signing all over him. Deference is we win leagues and Martial because a top player.
Disagree. Fergie signed hungry players. He looked at players backgrounds, how they grew up etc. He talks a lot about it in his books.

There is a possibility he could have made Martial a great player (And the other big characters in the changing room)....... In general, Fergie didn't sign sulkers though.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Disagree. Fergie signed hungry players. He looked at players backgrounds, how they grew up etc. He talks a lot about it in his books.

There is a possibility he could have made Martial a great player (And the other big characters in the changing room)....... In general, Fergie didn't sign sulkers though.
we must admit having seen players like Nani (who I think would've basically had Martial's career rather than his incredible form of 2009-2012 if not managed by Ferguson) that Fergie was the greatest man manager of all time, capable of extracting hard work and team mentality from even the daftest players. Of course his absolute power helped a lot with this

USREDEVIL

We should apologize for having sent him to Sevilla. At least put a warning sticker on him before: "Warning, will not give a shit."

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination
we must admit having seen players like Nani (who I think would've basically had Martial's career rather than his incredible form of 2009-2012 if not managed by Ferguson) that Fergie was the greatest man manager of all time, capable of extracting hard work and team mentality from even the daftest players. Of course his absolute power helped a lot with this
What indication was there that Nani didn't work hard? Or was 'daft'? His decision making on the pitch when he first joined wasn't great, but this hugely improved over time. Hardly a surprise with a young player too.

RVN1991

Nani was twice the player Martial is tbf.

Antekera

Supports
sevilla fc
Hello, I'm new here, I hope you understand me since I'm using google translator for the first time, I'm a fan of Sevilla FC but I feel a lot of affinity for your team since I feel reflected with Sevilla FC saving the distances since I started following United in your golden age of giggs, rooney, rio, evra, scholes and to this day I don't miss a game of yours! When the possible signing of Martial came out, I already knew that it would not materialize here because I already knew of his passivity and that this player, who cost a fortune, appeared very little... here in Seville, people were very excited. I myself go to the field to see him to see if he wakes up, but neither the system nor the coach are worthy of this player reaching his best potential... I wish you the best this year since things are not going well for you and forget about lopetegui, if you sign him you will continue without lifting head, the fans are already tired of his gilitoque and of not going to destroy the rival, you need a coach like the great club that you are... greetings from Spain

Mainoldo

What the feck are you on about. We put a balon d’or clause in his fee.

Go get me these made up sulking information from his youth which we should of been aware of. Was we going to shit with his parents and notice he sulked when they told him to make Fergie a drink :lol:

The absolute tosh people make up.

Oranges038

Has anyone suggested he might be struggling with mental health issues yet
Struggling with wife issues maybe.

He left the mother of his first child in 2016 for his current wife/partner who he also has a child with now. This 2 year malaise seems to have begun after he it came out that cheated on her in 2019. She didn't like that much and she might have confiscated his balls.

Maybe young Anthony just performs better when he has freedom on and off the pitch.

Paul_Pogba

Struggling with wife issues maybe.

He left the mother of his first child in 2016 for his current wife/partner who he also has a child with now. This 2 year malaise seems to have begun after he it came out that cheated on her in 2019. She didn't like that much and she might have confiscated his balls.

Maybe young Anthony just performs better when he has freedom on and off the pitch.
This is a good shout and something I've thought about for a while.

My ex is French and her guilty pleasure was watching trashy French reality tv shows. I remember she mentioned Martial's current wife/gf is a reality tv star that got famous for fighting everyone on every show she was on, the type to start a fight in an empty room. Sounded like she suffered from a personality disorder.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass

yea totally agree.

Oranges038

This is a good shout and something I've thought about for a while.

My ex is French and her guilty pleasure was watching trashy French reality tv shows. I remember she mentioned Martial's current wife/gf is a reality tv star that got famous for fighting everyone on every show she was on, the type to start a fight in an empty room. Sounded like she suffered from a personality disorder.
I'm not making excuses for him, I don't particularly like him as a player or think he's some kind of world beater. He's got bags of talent but he's never put it to proper use, a bit like Anelka, only maybe 100 times worse. When he wants to play he can be brilliant only that's always been irregular at best.

He's always been a moody patchy player, but since then he seems to have gotten into a sulk and hasn't looked interested at all. By all accounts she does sound like a piece of work. I don't pity him, he made his bed, he can lie in it, as the saying goes.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
oh great - turns out his loan is proving what we all expected. He's useless.

I know we're nowhere near where we were, but I wonder what the real level of our first team is if you took them out of Utd. What clubs/league would they realistically be playing for. I think only a handful would be CL regulars.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

If Fergie bought Martial at 18 he would have undoubtedly sold him on before he reached 24.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Hello, I'm new here, I hope you understand me since I'm using google translator for the first time, I'm a fan of Sevilla FC but I feel a lot of affinity for your team since I feel reflected with Sevilla FC saving the distances since I started following United in your golden age of giggs, rooney, rio, evra, scholes and to this day I don't miss a game of yours! When the possible signing of Martial came out, I already knew that it would not materialize here because I already knew of his passivity and that this player, who cost a fortune, appeared very little... here in Seville, people were very excited. I myself go to the field to see him to see if he wakes up, but neither the system nor the coach are worthy of this player reaching his best potential... I wish you the best this year since things are not going well for you and forget about lopetegui, if you sign him you will continue without lifting head, the fans are already tired of his gilitoque and of not going to destroy the rival, you need a coach like the great club that you are... greetings from Spain
Hi and welcome to the Caf.

Thanks for post … are you saying that Sevilles coach and tactics are letting Martial down? Or that Martial is the problem?

Mainoldo

If Fergie bought Martial at 18 he would have undoubtedly sold him on before he reached 24.
Well Fergie would of failed and he doesn’t do that much.

Imagine if Henry stayed at Juventus :)

Greck

Mourinho wanted rid of Martial 4 years ago and wanted Perisic. He was bang on.
This is barely a consolation. You trade young players for young players. Shortsightedness like this is why it was so obvious Jose only cared about his short term prospects. Willian, Maguire, Alderweireld, just what exactly was Jose building? Ole being worse doesn't somehow vindicate him.

Plus just because these players have no future at the club doesn't mean we should have had Perisic. Our entire left side was actually really solid. Players like Martial, Rashford and Shaw being shite and expired today doesn't mean we needed Perisic the last 3 to 4 years. We were good, we just missed the window on when to sell them. Same with Cavani. He should have been released but his being shite today doesn't retroactively erase the value we got from him last season.

Basically, moving Martial might not have been a bad idea but his turning shite didn't somehow make Perisic the right asset to flip him for. Not getting Perisic won't be keeping anyone up at night.

Last edited:

pawanraj

You trade young players for young players.
No you don't. You trade good, driven players for better, more driven players. And tbh, the difference between players in a title winning team and those in a 6th place team is less technical ability and more mentality.

Shortsightedness like this is why it was so obvious Jose only cared about his short term prospects. Willian, Maguire, Alderweireld, just what exactly was Jose building? Ole being worse doesn't somehow vindicate him.
What has ANY of our managers in the last decade "built", pray tell?

As much as I am not a fan of Jose - his thought process, at least, was clear. He wanted a culture in the team, of self-motivated and talented players. With Aldeweireld, he was getting an experienced, driven individual that can serve as an example for young players. Ditto with Perisic. He was trying to build a winning culture at the club - the importance of this must not be overlooked, especially in an organization that is otherwise content with top-4, and is prone to coddling its players.

If Jose recognized that Martial might go the Balotelli route of wasting his bags of talent - he is within his rights to move him on. That's the job of the manager. While not 19, Perisic was 26-27 when Jose wanted him - not some old fart. Oh, and we ultimately did stump up 80m for Maguire while denying Jose's request when we could've got him for half that.

Basically, moving Martial might not have been a bad idea but his turning shite didn't somehow make Perisic the right asset to flip him for.
That is subjective, isn't it? However, with the benefit of hindsight, chances are high that Perisic would've been more productive over 5 years for us, than Martial has been. So very likely it would've been a good trade.

Hughes35

What the feck are you on about. We put a balon d’or clause in his fee.

Go get me these made up sulking information from his youth which we should of been aware of. Was we going to shit with his parents and notice he sulked when they told him to make Fergie a drink :lol:

The absolute tosh people make up.
What's a balon d'or clause got to do with anything?