Anthony Martial | Sevilla loan watch

choccy77

Hmm blaming scouts for how players choose to conduct themselves?
It's more about the future, than the present.

We had a strong set of mentally adapt players in the class of 92 compared to what seems, very weak minded individuals in the more recent crop of players plus signings.

The clubs standards are very low thesedays and it's time they adapted to use psychologists when assessing youth players as they grow up and also future signings as well.

OleGunnar20

Blimey, to think how high my hopes were for Rashford / Martial / Greenwood. Amazing how quick these things can turn in football. What a waste if talent.

Where does he go from here? Somewhere like Turkey as someone else suggested seems like the next logical step.

JohnnyKills

Have gone from wanting him to come back and turn things around to thinking we should just get rid

AndySmith1990

List him on ebay and sell to the highest bidder. The guy is a waste of space and absolutely not the kind of character we want at the club at the start of a rebuild.

Abraxas

Even loaning him out won't be without trouble now. It will be tough to get somebody to pay even 40% of his wages as for many clubs that's a star player and he's shown no capability he can reach that in the last couple of years. Barely looks a top flight footballer. Really bad situation. Giving him that contract was absolutely criminal and not just in hindsight.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Did people really believe Martial would go to Sevilla and be some kind of revelation? Seriously?

Martial has been one of our better players in recent times. However, just think of what kind of team we have been in that time. Last season was the first time we'd managed back to back Champions League qualifications since Fergie retired.

Martial has been a big fish in a small pond, nothing more. Its like when we were all living of Januzaj way back when. Being the best player in a team that finishes 7th does not mean you're better than that level. Just that you can shine when everyone around you is mediocre.

We have been putting average players on a pedastal for so long that we have forgotten what real quality looks like. Yes, Martial can dribble. So could Taarabt. Having great close control only gets you so far. There are players who were subs for our best sides who were easily better than Martial. We've become so used to being second rate that we have mistaken Martial for a first class player (worse we pay him like a first class player, which means getting rid will be hard).

AndySmith1990

Did people really believe Martial would go to Sevilla and be some kind of revelation? Seriously?

Martial has been one of our better players in recent times. However, just think of what kind of team we have been in that time. Last season was the first time we'd managed back to back Champions League qualifications since Fergie retired.

Martial has been a big fish in a small pond, nothing more. Its like when we were all living of Januzaj way back when. Being the best player in a team that finishes 7th does not mean you're better than that level. Just that you can shine when everyone around you is mediocre.

We have been putting average players on a pedastal for so long that we have forgotten what real quality looks like. Yes, Martial can dribble. So could Taarabt. Having great close control only gets you so far. There are players who were subs for our best sides who were easily better than Martial. We've become so used to being second rate that we have mistaken Martial for a first class player (worse we pay him like a first class player, which means getting rid will be hard).
People are too quick to rate players based on their technical ability alone. What should be clear to all United fans at this point is just how important the mental attributes of a player are. I hope everyone associated with this club now has the sense to stay away from another Martial or Pogba situation, where poor attitude and laziness is overlooked in favour of silky skills.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The example of that is how so many people berated Deschamps because he wasn't using Martial as a starter. But at the same time I do think that people are being a bit too harsh, sometimes players have difficulties in the middle of their careers, a change of scenary or the influence of someone can see them get back on track.

Revaulx

True but at some point they have to take responsibility for themselves. He's playing for a different club right now, same problem. He wasn't mentally strong or a hard worker when he joined.
LvG’s man management could be quirky at times, but he was very good with high maintenance young players like Shaw and Martial; he understood that they needed plenty of encouragement but also regular kicks up the arse.

If the manager isn’t prepared to do that (and plenty of good managers aren’t), then having players of that type is completely pointless.

Abraxas

To be honest I don't think it's that much of a surprise for many. Yes Martial has a band of followers, but he hasn't done anything for a few years and has never hit what his supposed potential was when he came as a teenager. Most fans surely know that. This is just a continuation, sometimes a change of scenery is called for but when you've fallen off the wagon like Martial it's different because he's not showing the mindset to come back. I find it hard to imagine anything other than a small proportion of the fanbase are in a state of shock.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Another insanely high paid player that is going to be nearly impossible to shift.

MrBest

This guy is such a disappointment. Has immense talent but is so lazy and moody.

jimmyb2000

Another one of the many players at United who MUST go in the summer.

Red_toad

It's more about the future, than the present.

We had a strong set of mentally adapt players in the class of 92 compared to what seems, very weak minded individuals in the more recent crop of players plus signings.

The clubs standards are very low thesedays and it's time they adapted to use psychologists when assessing youth players as they grow up and also future signings as well.
Beckham fecked the nanny, we had a few players involved in domestic issues with females. Why didn’t the 92 scouts pick that up?
Adults choosing how they adult isn’t what scout look for.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Beckham fecked the nanny, we had a few players involved in domestic issues with females. Why didn’t the 92 scouts pick that up?
On top of that, a lot of 4Oyo+ retired players admit they'd had be royally fecked had smartphones been invented back then.

choccy77

Beckham won every trophy going multiple times, whilst juggling nannies.

That's mental strength.

Red_toad

That's mental strength.
Odd that you brought off field issues up to prove people, weren’t strong minded, but the same off field stuff still went on?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

That's mental strength.
Are you suggesting that your moral compass disappears when the team win trophies?

Oranges038

He just broke into a semi sprint twice in the space of a few minutes almost created a goal too.

Has since stopped moving and decided to do the Lukaku point. Some, mighty fine pointing there.

Marwood

Looks unfit as well. Very sluggish in his movement. Or did he just build too much muscle?
I don't think he looks like he's added much muscle. Very similar physique to when he first arrived.

Natener

He just broke into a semi sprint twice in the space of a few minutes almost created a goal too.

Has since stopped moving and decided to do the Lukaku point. Some, mighty fine pointing there.
Sounds like what many of our players do. We must have replaced corner training sessions with the walkabout and finger pointing practice.

Oranges038

Sounds like what many of our players do. We must have replaced corner training sessions with the walkabout and finger pointing practice.
Jesus Navas is 36 and still looks more explosive and dynamic.

Martial just trudges around and only seems to want to move with any urgency when he gets the ball.

choccy77

Man Utd's Anthony Martial 'dumped by wife' as nightmare year continues on and off pitch

The French forward has failed to impress on a loan stint at Sevilla and is set to return to Manchester United this summer and he has now reportedly been dumped by his wife.

choccy77

So Martial cheats on his pregnant girlfriend, marries the girl he cheated with, cheats on her when she's pregnant and now she's surprised by his actions and has dumped him.

Clearly both are not the brightest. :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
Did an interview with a Sevilla based newspaper, here's the direct quotes:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/complicated-continue-man-united-forward-quizzed-club-future-beyond-season/

“Now I feel very well. I was able to recover from the injury, which was a complicated injury that required a reasonable recovery time, but now I’m much better,” he told ABC Sevilla.

“I have been very careful to be able to return and be available to the team as soon as possible, which is why I decided to come to Sevilla.”

“I’m working on it [to show his best version from now until the end of the season]. I came to be able to enjoy football again after a long time without playing.”

“I know I can be at a higher level, and I work for it, but first the injury, then the adaptation to a new club and a new city, is being difficult for me because of the language barrier.”

The France international’s contract at United is until 2024. He was directly asked whether he will continue with Julen Lopetegui’s side beyond this season.

“I see it very complicated to be able to continue at Sevilla. I’m not worried about that right now. I came knowing that it would be six months and then I would surely have to return to Manchester United,” Martial explained.

“I’m very happy with the experience of playing in a new club, as big as Sevilla and having minutes again. If we manage to be a top four team, we will have achieved the goal and I will be happy for the fans, who have been very good to me since I arrived.”
The guy is full of shit and he's started to believe his own lies it seems.

Lynty

Like it or not. He'll be here next season.

Such a shame that a guy with so much talent can't apply himself and grasp the many great oppurtunities that have been available to him.Literally all he has to do is run more and battle for loose balls and he'd still be first choice number 9 at the biggest team in the world. But apparantley that's too much to ask.

We can only hope he sorts his head out.