Antoine Griezmann signs for Barcelona or maybe not?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He did not make that announcement without knowing where he was going.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
He is a brilliant player, not sure he is what we should be focusing so much of the budget on though.
If we can get £50/60m for Lukaku we are basically looking at replacing him for an extra 40m for a vastly superior player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's pretty clear it was Barca, but now they seem to be having cold feet about paying for him and De Ligt.

Strange situation it seems, maybe they were just leading Griezmann along all the time, but now Atletico have called their bluff?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Come on mate what world are you living in
My own. Let me have this.

Exactly. Griezmann upfront would instantly improve us.
Well obviously. Rashford isn't very good though. We should have gone for Jovic or Felix. Signing Griezmann would just go the way of Sanchez imo, we need someone to build towards the future. About half of the forwards in europe fall off hard when they get towards 30, we don't know how Griezmann is going to age. Does he go the way of Ronaldo/Messi, or Rooney/Sanchez?

RedDevil@84

I am assuming this is just a delay because Barca wants to secure some money in by pushing out the likes of Rakitic and Umtiti.

Shinjch

If we can get £50/60m for Lukaku we are basically looking at replacing him for an extra 40m for a vastly superior player.
Is Griezmann not currently on ludicrously high wages? I doubt he would be looking to take a pay cut.

DarkChild™

No from me. As it is with Bale too.

I have a real rage against players who didn't give 2 fecks about turning us down in their prime to play for Barca..or Bayern..or Real...but the moment they are on the decline they start spouting our name as a place they would love to play.

What are we? A feckin retirement home for ex Barca/PSG/Bayern/Real players??!?!

We're Manchester United. Feck em!!! If we weren't good enough for them in their prime then we aren't good enough for them once they are past it. Bloody cheek
(Sorry but it really gets my goat)
This! I hate all players who have turned us down when young or in their prime but start showing"interest" when it's their last move. We need people who will jump at the chance to wear the badge. Bale, Griezman, Ramsey, Vidal etc keep off them. Time to buy young. Add players who use united for better contracts! Makes me sick.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
They manage it for France fine? they just have better players around to help them. Matuidi/Kante do the leg work.
They dont really. France doesnt get the best out of Pogba or griezmann, especially not together. They won the world cup based on a Mourinho type style of play (which works for international tournaments), where everyone was committed to grinding out the result. They played a deep style with the best defensive mid, 2 world class centerbacks, and had Mbappe to release on the counter all the time. It's not like Pogba was dominating games regularly, he played a defensive role and then hit counter launching passes to Griezmann or Mbappe. Again, works when everyone is as motivated as they were for a World Cup where they play 6 games in 1 month, doesnt work over a season where they need to play that way for 10 months or multiple seasons. Even for France, sometimes they are more geared to Pogba, Griezmann goes out wide and is invisible. Or is the lone striker and is invisible. Or Pogba plays as part of a double pivot next to Kante, whoe is essentially the only played in the world who can even make that kind of work.

Ballist1x

Need more Dybala and less 28 year old 100m players.

If we had bought him 2 years ago it would have made sense. But not so much now. Atletico have had his best years and want top dollar.

Pratik Galani

I can believe the De Ligt news that we have a chance thanks to our project/ raiola or our brand whatever be the reasons.
But not for a second do I believe this piece of news linking us to Griezmann. I don’t see us replacing Lukaku with this lad, he would also suit liverpool better according to me, we need a proper cf to replace lukaku.
Since this is a season of transition, it wouldn’t be too bad to sign goalscoring winger and promote martial to cf.
Also I’m very excited by our links to Pedro Guilherme Dos Santos, he looks like a perfect hold up cf and we can slowly breed him in.
Griezmanntime has gone last summer and the one before that, Under our new transfer approach, spending 105m quid on this lad who is 28 doesn’t really make sense, also his sizeable wages over 300k means it’s a significant investment over a play who has max 3 years at is peak

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I do believe he’s Barca bound and our name is being used again.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...e-a8928631.html?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Ah shit here we go again
I have a feeling that United are forcing Barca’s hand because they know Barca can’t afford both the G man and DeLigt.

If we put it about it forces Barca’s hands to make a choice on one or the other. If they go with AG then it leaves DeLigt in limbo and open field for us to go after him.

If they go after DeLigt and he chooses them then it stops wasting our time and we get a different CB target

GBBQ

I don't see him coming here now. I suspect its either BS or a planted story to try smoke out another target.

Given his big announcement he's bound to have a club lined up and most likely its Barcelona (who are probably stalling as they try to move players on simultaneously).

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I have a feeling that United are forcing Barca’s hand because they know Barca can’t afford both the G man and DeLigt.

If we put it about it forces Barca’s hands to make a choice on one or the other. If they go with AG then it leaves DeLigt in limbo and open field for us to go after him.

If they go after DeLigt and he chooses them then it stops wasting our time and we get a different CB target
That would be brilliant because it means we're getting someone from the two and knowing Ole this could be the younger player.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

McDonnell chiming in.

Fer

Would you prefer Griezmann over Felix or even Dybala?

MrPooni

I'm pretty sure the consensus in Spain was that Athletico caught wind that he was planning another documentary and forced him to make the announcement you're referring to, to avoid another embarrassing "Will he? Won't he?" Summer saga.

TrebleFan99

No from me. As it is with Bale too.

I have a real rage against players who didn't give 2 fecks about turning us down in their prime to play for Barca..or Bayern..or Real...but the moment they are on the decline they start spouting our name as a place they would love to play.

What are we? A feckin retirement home for ex Barca/PSG/Bayern/Real players??!?!

We're Manchester United. Feck em!!! If we weren't good enough for them in their prime then we aren't good enough for them once they are past it. Bloody cheek

(Sorry but it really gets my goat)
What players are you referring to?

TrebleFan99

This would be amazing. If we could replace Lukaku with Griezmann and somehow land De Ligt, this transfer window would be looking great imo.

cyberman

Perfect for the Lingard / false 9 role but then we do need a right winger as well no matter what

crossy1686

career ending
Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't the Barcelona players vetoed this deal for Griezmann? The club want him but the playing staff think he's a massive cock?

On top of that, Barcelona can't afford De Jong, Griezmann and De Ligt in one summer unless they sell a couple of big names for big money either.

There's a transfer to be stolen here, I can smell it. Either him or De Ligt would improve us massively.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
To be fair, it's only his off the field stuff that people dislike him for. I'd like to think he couldn't get away with half that shit at a bigger club.
On the other hand I think a strong personality like Simeone is the reason he hasn't been more of an idiot.

MetoTTT

La décision 2 seems to be delayed.:lol:
Don't want him here and his wife wants to stay in Spain. He's a class player though.

crossy1686

career ending
On the other hand I think a strong personality like Simeone is the reason he hasn't been more of an idiot.
Maybe? He's been the golden boy though, World Cup winner and all that, big shirt seller. Effectively bigger than the club for a while but has always put the running in to back it up. I think with more expectation he might realise that he'd get dogs abuse for taking home £300k a week and not tracking back so I'm not doing another documentary, kind of thing.

Inter Yer Nan

I'd take him though I'm certain he'll go to Barca. Just papers trying to sell copies before his July 1st transfer to Barca (when the release clause goes down to 107m).

Hypothetically, if he is attainable and if Sancho wants to stay at Dortmund another year then get Griezmann this summer for sure. It would also help keeping Pogba and we could still have another 100m or more to spend this summer.

crossy1686

career ending
I'd take him though I'm certain he'll go to Barca. Just papers trying to sell copies before his July 1st transfer to Barca (when the release clause goes down to 107m).

Hypothetically, if he is attainable and if Sancho wants to stay at Dortmund another year then get Griezmann this summer for sure. It would also help keeping Pogba and we could still have another 100m or more to spend this summer.
I think even the Spanish press have realised that if they use United's name in an article they get a ton of clicks.

manutddjw

Simple fact is he’s head and shoulders above every attacker we have in our squad so not sure why some are turning our noses up at him like there’s tons of undisputedly world class players just jumping to sign for us.

I find some of his antics cringed too, but at least he’s quality and can back it up on the pitch unlike that fool we have in the squad now.

SATA

I really think we are interested to get him if there's any slight of a chance and link him up with Pogba like they do in their national team. I do think he will stay in Spain and choose Barca and we can have De Ligt to ourselves

-Supreme-

Simple fact is he’s head and shoulders above every attacker we have in our squad so not sure why some are turning our noses up at him like there’s tons of undisputedly world class players just jumping to sign for us.

I find some of his antics cringed too, but at least he’s quality and can back it up on the pitch unlike that fool we have in the squad now.
I see this comment pops up all the time

It wouldn't be difficult to bring in new players if this is the benchmark we use

Cliche Guevara

Wait, is he actually maybe coming here now?

Either way something has to give. There’s no chance Barcelona are signing De Jong, De Ligt and Griezmann. Where else is Griezmann going to go?

Fer

Wait, is he actually maybe coming here now?

Either way something has to give. There’s no chance Barcelona are signing De Jong, De Ligt and Griezmann. Where else is Griezmann going to go?
PSG? Bayern? Juventus? I think it would depend on who are they going to sell. It seems that players like Coutinho, Dembele, Dybala, etc could be on the transfer market. So they could use that money for Griezmann.

Cliche Guevara

PSG? Bayern? Juventus? I think it would depend on who are they going to sell. It seems that players like Coutinho, Dembele, Dybala, etc could be on the transfer market. So they could use that money for Griezmann.
Doubt Bayern are affording him if they’re signing Sané. Juventus would likely have to offload Dybala and would he fit at PSG with Neymar and Mbappe?

Zlatattack

We should really try to sign him. Pay athletico whatever they want, agree everything he asks for. Then publicly pull out stating we're not interested. See how he like it. Floppy haired cnut.

Cliche Guevara

We should really try to sign him. Pay athletico whatever they want, agree everything he asks for. Then publicly pull out stating we're not interested. See how he like it. Floppy haired cnut.
Ha ha, this would be funny and deserved.

Get a video of Ole rejecting a phone call from Griezmann, and just firing his phone into a bin.