Antoine Griezmann signs for Barcelona or maybe not?

Scholsey2004

Still wouldnt say no to him. But..... its 2 years since he should have joined us plus its a massive spend that we probably havent factored in so could mean missing out on other areas we need to fix.

Couldnt care less what carry on he does off the pitch (within reason obviously) as long as he performs on it. Part of the reason I think why Pogba/Lingard drive people insane with all the social media/brand crap when not showing up every week.

Still though I expect Barca are just waiting for someone daft enough to cover the cost of him before making it official.

It would be fantasy stuff if we signed both De Ligt and Greizmann under their noses though.Pants off for a week kinda thing.
He's over 28 now anyway. Huge transfer fee for a player who'll certainly start declining before the end of his contract.

MetoTTT

La décision will cost him.:D It seems fans and players don't want him. His wife wants to stay in Spain at any cost.

AgentP

Isn't it a bit dumb for him to come out and say he's leaving without anyone actually having bid for him? 120m euros is not a small amount for someone who is 28. It will be funny if Barca back out and no one else wants to pay his release clause. He will have to make another documentary.

C'est Moi Cantona

Probably the domino effect will be Chelsea getting their ban lifted, Hazard to Real, Coutinho to Chelsea, and then Barca will ha e the cash for this.

I just hope we stay well away from any of it.

flappyjay

Isn't it a bit dumb for him to come out and say he's leaving without anyone actually having bid for him? 120m euros is not a small amount for someone who is 28. It will be funny if Barca back out and no one else wants to pay his release clause. He will have to make another documentary.
Maybe he believes he is much bigger than he is.If he was 2 years younger a lot of clubs would be all over him though. Hopefully we don't save him from himself

flappyjay

There are a lot of Woodwards in this thread. Sign him because he is a big name player types and not consider other variables types.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Blimey, we're talking about 28 year olds being over the hill!

Griezmann is an amazing player and works his absolute sack off too. He'd be perfect to compliment the raft of young players we're looking to bring in.

That being said, there's absolutely no way he'd be interested in joining us. He could do so much better. He'd be amazing at Liverpool in place of Firmino.

Carl

Maybe but his teammates like him, he has done nothing particularly bad or immoral and he gives everything on the pitch. To me those are the things that matter when it comes to football, I'm not trying to date him or be his best friend.
Didn't he black up? Twice?

flappyjay

Blimey, we're talking about 28 year olds being over the hill!

Griezmann is an amazing player and works his absolute sack off too. He'd be perfect to compliment the raft of young players we're looking to bring in.

That being said, there's absolutely no way he'd be interested in joining us. He could do so much better. He'd be amazing at Liverpool in place of Firmino.
You mean sort of like Matic and Sanchez not being over the hill. Next you will sat that won't happen to him. Who is to say it won't happen in a couple of years if not now. For the money he would cost we should steer clear.

Carl

You mean sort of like Matic and Sanchez not being over the hill. Next you will sat that won't happen to him. Who is to say it won't happen in a couple of years if not now. For the money he would cost we should steer clear.
Yeh except Matic and Alexis' performance levels had already significantly dropped off when we signed them. Alexis moreso through injury. That's not the case with Griezmann at all.

I'll also add that Matic has never been a elite player IMO. But that's another story.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's a gobshite off the pitch but at least He works hard on the pitch and is an important player to his team.

Meanwhile, We also have several gobshite players (granted, it's a different kind of gobshite) who keep saying cringy stuffs off the pitch like : "We need to play like Manchester United" "We can't disappoint the fans" "Let the haters hate, I will proof myself" "Next season is for realz" when actually, on the field, They don't play like Manchester United, keep disappointing the fans, inviting more haters during the process while making fun of the themselves + the club and ruining the season.

I'd take him. Can't see it happening though.

beingshe7don

We don't need another player toying with fan emotions like he's done with Atletico Madrid no matter how good he is.

POF

He is exactly what the club needs. An experienced talismanic attacker who scores goals. Rashford and Martial have potential and hopefully will step up another level next season but the club really lacks a consistent main man in attack.

He has speed and intelligence and is fantastic on the counter attack. I can't imagine Agent P would be of much use this summer though!

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Griezmann looks a bit malnourished and coupled with a loss off pace i'm not sure how he'd fare in the Prem. (for a 100 mil. and 30mil/year type of player). For the money alone we simply have to play to his strenghts (second striker) but we already have Rashford, Martial, Sanchez and Lingard who are obvioulsy worse, but there are areas where the drop off in quality looks much worse. Personally i'd stay way clear of, much prefer someone who's trying to make a name for himself, someone like Felix or much rather a real winger e.g. Sancho.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's been a magnificent footballer. Like, absolute top tier player. However I really feel we need to go for players who are ready to explode in their careers, rather than ones looking for a change of scenery.

Also given he's been right up there at one of the 4-5 top clubs in the game so he's going to leave that to slug it out for top 4 in England. If he's leaving Atletico it'll have to be for an even better side or thereabouts.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Griezmann looks a bit malnourished and coupled with a loss off pace i'm not sure how he'd fare in the Prem. (for a 100 mil. and 30mil/year type of player). For the money alone we simply have to play to his strenghts (second striker) but we already have Rashford, Martial, Sanchez and Lingard who are obvioulsy worse, but there are areas where the drop off in quality looks much worse. Personally i'd stay way clear of, much prefer someone who's trying to make a name for himself, someone like Felix or much rather a real winger e.g. Sancho.
I have no doubt he'd tear it up in the PL. This is not someone of the level of Higauin. He's genuinely been one of the best forwards in world football for years. But it's pointless for us to chase. We wouldn't be the kind of team he'd want to join which would be a risk from our POV.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is a twat, last thing we need is more twats.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Who cares? We're at a point where we need all the quality possible. If there's even a 1% chance, we should be all over it.
So the cure to our toxic under performing dressing room, is to add another toxic player?

Genius.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
So the cure to our toxic under performing dressing room, is to add another toxic player?

Genius.
How is he toxic? He’s just a little attention seeking. He’s not impacted the team performance at all.

flappyjay

Genius.
If he flops we are stuck with another 28 year old big wages who will hard to move on. I hope our board has learned. We can't afford to keep taking the same gamble.

Suv666

We don't need another player toying with fan emotions like he's done with Atletico Madrid no matter how good he is.
I'd argue he has been pretty loyal to Madrid. Not leaving them when they got hit with the ban and when Barca came calling last season. Not a lot of players in football who would have stayed with Barca and Man utd knocking on their door with massive wages.

Suv666

He's a bit of diva but gives his 100% on the pitch. Dont care what he does off field as long as his performances arent affected. Plus he hasnt been "toxic" as people on here are claiming. Immature? Yes, but never had any problems with his fellow players or management.

haram

He is easily good enough for us. He wont waste his time joining us anyway.

Suv666

If he flops we are stuck with another 28 year old big wages who will hard to move on. I hope our board has learned. We can't afford to keep taking the same gamble.
You shouldnt be afraid to love just because someone broke your heart.

flappyjay

There's a gamble on every player...
My point there is a much bigger gamble in players of this age bracket. There is much talk about the likes of barca, Madrid and psg spending but you rarely if ever see them spending big on 28 years olds. It's players they can offload and get back a fair amount of their investment. If we were to offload Sanchez right now we would have to actually pay out of our own pocket.

redshaw

Doubt he's interested in coming here. He'll make an apology video if Barca back out and stay there or go to the other Madrid club.

Probably going to need Atletico dropping the clause back down though either way. Barca people aren't happy at being snubbed last year and the release clause going up.

FujiVice

Buy Dybala and Griezmann and then sell Pogba. Would be amusing to see him looking through the school gates while his best mates are together.

beingshe7don

I'd argue he has been pretty loyal to Madrid. Not leaving them when they got hit with the ban and when Barca came calling last season. Not a lot of players in football who would have stayed with Barca and Man utd knocking on their door with massive wages.
Seriously, he flirted with United.... it all well documented. He said there was a 60% chance of him coming to United in one of the French interview shows. Fair enough, he stayed with Atletico but the manner in which he did it was so dramatic. That wasn't required. I'm surprised Barca are even in for him. He hasn't really uprooted trees at Atletico this season. He signed a new contract with Atletico and got a pay raise... So it's not like he was doing them a favor. His release clause is back to what it was.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
My point there is a much bigger gamble in players of this age bracket. There is much talk about the likes of barca, Madrid and psg spending but you rarely if ever see them spending big on 28 years olds. It's players they can offload and get back a fair amount of their investment. If we were to offload Sanchez right now we would have to actually pay out of our own pocket.
Fair enough. I do agree with you.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Seriously, he flirted with United.... it all well documented. He said there was a 60% chance of him coming to United in one of the French interview shows. Fair enough, he stayed with Atletico but the manner in which he did it was so dramatic. That wasn't required. I'm surprised Barca are even in for him. He hasn't really uprooted trees at Atletico this season. He signed a new contract with Atletico and got a pay raise... So it's not like he was doing them a favor. His release clause is back to what it was.
He also said that there was 70% chance to stay...