Antoine Griezmann signs for Barcelona or maybe not?

beingshe7don

He also said that there was 70% chance to stay...
Well clearly Mr. Griezmann isn't all that great with Math. Either way, I hate the fact that this team keeps turning into Pogba and Friends Club. That's how we ended up with Lukaku to begin with.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well clearly Mr. Griezmann isn't all that great with Math. Either way, I hate the fact that this team keeps turning into Pogba and Friends Club. That's how we ended up with Lukaku to begin with.
No, it simply wasn't a serious interview which has been mentioned more than once.

Got to admit I did laugh for a moment looking at the front cover of Barcelona's based Newspaper SPORT with the words 'The locker room says NO to Griezmann',naturally strong emphasis on the NO, and just imagining Griezmann's silly grin slowly disappearing from his silly,childish face.
It would be funny if he was forced to stay.
If Barca aren't going to pay out his release clause I'm trying to imagine who will.

Suv666

Seriously, he flirted with United.... it all well documented. He said there was a 60% chance of him coming to United in one of the French interview shows. Fair enough, he stayed with Atletico but the manner in which he did it was so dramatic. That wasn't required. I'm surprised Barca are even in for him. He hasn't really uprooted trees at Atletico this season. He signed a new contract with Atletico and got a pay raise... So it's not like he was doing them a favor. His release clause is back to what it was.
I mean 15 goals and 9 assists in the league playing for Simeone is as good as it gets. I agree with the fact he's a diva, but his on field performances were never affected by the speculation unlike De Gea and Pogba. If he gives his 100% on the pitch and helps the club wins trophies, I can put up with the drama surrounding him. Besides, if he was to move to us for big money, I really doubt many teams will be lining up to sign him. He'd pretty much spend his peak at Utd and he is a Utd fan too.

If he wants to come here,granted getting ahead of myself here,then we're in no position to say no IF we do intend to come back strongly next year with a Top 4 challenge,title challenge alittle too far away at present.
Plus ,and I'm sure this has been suggested enough times already ,he could be a vital cog in getting Pogba to stay on ,and possibly even sign a new deal, as their friendship is that close while also getting the best out of both their offensive games.

Plus,less Lingard playing time.:D

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I mean 15 goals and 9 assists in the league playing for Simeone is as good as it gets. I agree with the fact he's a diva, but his on field performances were never affected by the speculation unlike De Gea and Pogba. If he gives his 100% on the pitch and helps the club wins trophies, I can put up with the drama surrounding him. Besides, if he was to move to us for big money, I really doubt many teams will be lining up to sign him. He'd pretty much spend his peak at Utd and he is a Utd fan too.
He isn't, his brother is.

Inter Yer Nan

Would love him at United. He's a world class player, absolutely brilliant work ethic too. Sure, he's a bit cringey but he'd make a huge difference.

No chance he'd considered us though IMO.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
How is he toxic? He’s just a little attention seeking. He’s not impacted the team performance at all.
Honestly a player that teases with a 1 hour documentary to announce his decision to stay or not in his club is a massive bellend.

And rumors say he was about to drop his 2nd documentary so Atletico just pulled ahead and announced he's leaving to stop it.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Honestly a player that teases with a 1 hour documentary to announce his decision to stay or not in his club is a massive bellend.

And rumors say he was about to drop his 2nd documentary so Atletico just pulled ahead and announced he's leaving to stop it.
I’m not denying he’s a bit of a tool, but at no point has that ever affected his performance or the teams. Toxic seems to just be a buzz word these days.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If he leaves Atletico to join us in the Europa League then that should tell you all about the man. Pogba did something similar but at least had ties to the club and unfinished business. As much as we don't like to admit it.....Atletico Madrid to United is now a backwards career move. They have just comfortably finished 2nd in Spain. :(

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Got to admit I did laugh for a moment looking at the front cover of Barcelona's based Newspaper SPORT with the words 'The locker room says NO to Griezmann',naturally strong emphasis on the NO, and just imagining Griezmann's silly grin slowly disappearing from his silly,childish face.

If Barca aren't going to pay out his release clause I'm trying to imagine who will.
PSG will do it. Uefa rules of national players may help on the biz.

The_Midfielder

We don't have a 20 goal striker .. so this is a no brainer for me ..
Upgrade om Lingard and Mata

Robertd0803

Ed says hello.

SambaBoy

I always think Griezmann is an excellent player if the team is balanced and playing well. I never see him as the player too take the game by the scruff of the neck or be a game changer. I can't see him fairing well in our dysfunctional team especially given his cost and his position. He's not a winger and the team would have to be built around him. In addition, from what Ole has said I don't think he would go for this type of transfer unless it's forced upon him by Woodward which would not be surprising given his status.

davidmichael

I hope Barca decide against signing Griezmann so he’s forced to stay at Atletico just for being a self obsessed little prick and making stupid videos about his ‘Decision’ as if he’s actually that fecking important the world needs to take notice.

He’s better than any attacker we have but I don’t think he’d fit in our team unless we sold Pogba and went 4-4-2 with Griezmann as a support striker or 4-2-3-1 with Griezmann in the hole behind the main striker, either way we’ve got far more urgent positions to strengthen.

Andeva

Supports
FK Haugesund
If he leaves Atletico to join us in the Europa League then that should tell you all about the man. Pogba did something similar but at least had ties to the club and unfinished business. As much as we don't like to admit it.....Atletico Madrid to United is now a backwards career move. They have just comfortably finished 2nd in Spain. :(
I heard about this becoming a trophy, but tought it was exclusievely for the PL.

midnightmare

And yet (unless I'm mistaken), we've won more than them even after Fergie left; will also likely win again sooner than Atleti.

I always think Griezmann is an excellent player if the team is balanced and playing well. I never see him as the player too take the game by the scruff of the neck or be a game changer. I can't see him fairing well in our dysfunctional team especially given his cost and his position. He's not a winger and the team would have to be built around him. In addition, from what Ole has said I don't think he would go for this type of transfer unless it's forced upon him by Woodward which would not be surprising given his status.
He's a player who can make something out of nothing at times and win games with those moments. That's a trait we've lacked for years - and one that only Pogba possesses in our team to any reasonable degree. I'm ambivalent on this, but not because he's not good enough or because I don't think he'd improve our team. He'd instantly be one of the best players we have - and when you talk about "dysfunctional" team, how the heck do you cease being that without buying players that would improve you?

TheRedHearted

Isn't it a bit dumb for him to come out and say he's leaving without anyone actually having bid for him? 120m euros is not a small amount for someone who is 28. It will be funny if Barca back out and no one else wants to pay his release clause. He will have to make another documentary.

Best situation in terms of us getting him. Lets be honest, we need experience in the attack considering what we want to do with the wings (and I think his best partnership would be with Martial tbh).

Probably the domino effect will be Chelsea getting their ban lifted, Hazard to Real, Coutinho to Chelsea, and then Barca will ha e the cash for this.

I just hope we stay well away from any of it.
This could also end up with Greizman to Chelsea. Hazard to Real, Greizman to Chelsea and Coutinho to who knows.

Blimey, we're talking about 28 year olds being over the hill!

Griezmann is an amazing player and works his absolute sack off too. He'd be perfect to compliment the raft of young players we're looking to bring in.

That being said, there's absolutely no way he'd be interested in joining us. He could do so much better. He'd be amazing at Liverpool in place of Firmino.
I agree, I don't get people saying we shouldn't be in for him. Great work rate and his build would make it less likely for him to break down. You'd be surprised if we make some interesting signings and deals off loading players before he signs.

And yet (unless I'm mistaken), we've won more than them even after Fergie left; will also likely win again sooner than Atleti.

He's a player who can make something out of nothing at times and win games with those moments. That's a trait we've lacked for years - and one that only Pogba possesses in our team to any reasonable degree. I'm ambivalent on this, but not because he's not good enough or because I don't think he'd improve our team. He'd instantly be one of the best players we have - and when you talk about "dysfunctional" team, how the heck do you cease being that without buying players that would improve you?
Agree with this exactly. His work-rate, his style (would work with well quick wingers surrounding him and with Pogba if he stays) and could be a good leader in the attack. Seems like people really like to play with him. Now's the time to get him and I think we have a shot. I would rather push Rashford out wide and start Martial with him. Or switch Rashford and Martial off as the players sitting in front of Greizman or on the LW.

I really think we need to see Martial in the center, don't know how many times I'll say it on here but I don't think he likes the LW and I think it's pretty obvious he wants to be in the center. Much rather him running behind the defenders and taking a shot than having him try to beat a man and put in a cross any day.

Fer

I hope Barca decide against signing Griezmann so he’s forced to stay at Atletico just for being a self obsessed little prick and making stupid videos about his ‘Decision’ as if he’s actually that fecking important the world needs to take notice.

He’s better than any attacker we have but I don’t think he’d fit in our team unless we sold Pogba and went 4-4-2 with Griezmann as a support striker or 4-2-3-1 with Griezmann in the hole behind the main striker, either way we’ve got far more urgent positions to strengthen.
IMO we don't need to sell Pogba to fit Griezmann in our team. We could play diamond formation with Griezmann as second striker or behind the strikers.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Given that he may now not be pursued by Barca, I find it strange that we're not even linked. Lukaku plus cash, given that Lukaku might suit their counter-attacking style.

Not that I'm a big fan, just that we've been after him for a while. Where else can he go, PSG?

Axkiko

No. Big No. United should never come close to his attitude and character again.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
28 and will want huge wages. Would be a typical modern United signing. I have been watching the guy for about 6 years and I still don't know his best position. Is he a winger, a #10, false 9, striker? Pass anyway.

Straight swap for Lukaku or £40m plus Sanchez. If we have to get him might as well unload some of our shite on them.

arthurka

I dont like him, think he sums up modern footballers perfectly. Stupid grin a that fecking dance. He should take Jesse with him and form a stance/dance group.

Delano

If Delaney is saying it, you know its a load of bollocks. Next...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Huge no from me. Doesnt fit, think hes on an early decline (or not far from it), and don't think he'd suit our other players. Also hard to make the most out of Pogba and Griezmann together (or impossible). Pogba needs to be the free role in a midfield 3. Griezmann needs to be the number 10/second striker role like Rooney used to play, and you need a double pivot type behind that. Also more of a link up striker to pair with him. We have none of these things (also how I feel about Dybala incidentally).

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Huge no from me. Doesnt fit, think hes on an early decline (or not far from it), and don't think he'd suit our other players. Also hard to make the most out of Pogba and Griezmann together (or impossible). Pogba needs to be the free role in a midfield 3. Griezmann needs to be the number 10/second striker role like Rooney used to play, and you need a double pivot type behind that. Also more of a link up striker to pair with him. We have none of these things (also how I feel about Dybala incidentally).
They manage it for France fine? they just have better players around to help them. Matuidi/Kante do the leg work.

Cait Sith

People saying no to Griezmann who is a top 5 striker in the world, WC winner, 28 years old while having Rashford upfront and offering Europa League football. Unbelievable.

Jammiedodger

No from me. As it is with Bale too.

I have a real rage against players who didn't give 2 fecks about turning us down in their prime to play for Barca..or Bayern..or Real...but the moment they are on the decline they start spouting our name as a place they would love to play.

What are we? A feckin retirement home for ex Barca/PSG/Bayern/Real players??!?!

We're Manchester United. Feck em!!! If we weren't good enough for them in their prime then we aren't good enough for them once they are past it. Bloody cheek

(Sorry but it really gets my goat)

Bwuk

People saying no to Griezmann who is a top 5 striker in the world, WC winner, 28 years old while having Rashford upfront and offering Europa League football. Unbelievable.
Exactly. Griezmann upfront would instantly improve us.

gajender

Naivity of some posters who actually believe Griezmann's destination is not already decided is quite baffling, do they believe Atletico announced his departure without knowing where he is going not a chance.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Would take him as a centre forward. Guy scored tons of goals in Simone's super defensive system, think he would still score a shed load in a more attacking team.

Shinjch

He is a brilliant player, not sure he is what we should be focusing so much of the budget on though.

tomaldinho1

IMO we don't need to sell Pogba to fit Griezmann in our team. We could play diamond formation with Griezmann as second striker or behind the strikers.
Could play him anywhere in the front three and he'd be an immediate improvement