Antonio Conte Sack Watch (Spurs) - GONTE

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Made Mourinho’s “heritage” speech look like a joke.

crossy1686

career ending
Absolutely mental. They have the 4-6th best squad in the league, and spend the 5-6th most money. They’re currently 4th. Why the feck has he lost his mind, or is he just trying to get sacked?
People like Conte have to disassociate themselves from failure, Mourinho’s the same. It’s never their fault, why take responsibility for something you didn’t want or intend to happen?

When they win, it’s we or I language used. When they lose or disappointingly draw it’s they the players language.

They’re ultimately poor leaders outside of a specific set of personalities.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
The issue here is: is there a need to tell the media/whole wide world? Behind closed doors would have been enough.

He’s merely just saying “it’s not my fault” if I got the sack tomorrow.
Maybe he tried the behind the scenes approached and got a lot of push back and told to get on with things.
His heart has not been in it all season, should have been chopped last summer.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Strange timing if he wants to be sacked. His contract is up in 3 months. He will get only 3 months wages if he is sacked. It would be easier for him to finish season and just not sign a new contract.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Don’t know but the guy has more pedigree then Spurs players and is a winner.
Ok so you agree with him that supporters only ask for one thing, and if the players don’t give that one thing then it’s right to call that out. But you can’t even say whether he’s doing that one thing himself? Kind of ridiculous if you think about it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Where does he go after here? Can’t think of anyone that would want him. I think spurs will go for that manager from sporting Lisbon. Think he’d be a good fit.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Where does he go after here? Can’t think of anyone that would want him. I think spurs will go for that manager from sporting Lisbon. Think he’d be a good fit.
Back to one of the big Italian sides eventually I would imagine. They seem to have no issue re-appointing people, especially a proven winner like Conte.

ti vu

Strange timing if he wants to be sacked. His contract is up in 3 months. He will get only 3 months wages if he is sacked. It would be easier for him to finish season and just not sign a new contract.
Spurs has an option to extend for another year. He just made sure Levy can't do that, if somehow they would do well to come back from the death to make top 4 like last season.

El Presidente

Really? Pretty much every elite club will gladly take him, apart from those who won't sacrifice their brand of football (Barca, Real, Bayern, City). Currently he wouldn't fit at United, Liverpool or Arsenal either, but other than those you have:
  • Juve, Milan, Inter, Roma (if PSG are crazy enough to go for Jose)
  • PSG themselves (in fact, they are the favourites)
  • Atletico would be a match made in heaven if Simeone moves on and there are certain indications that he may
  • it went sour with Chelsea, but under new ownership it might happen, it's not like he didn't make them champions
  • Newcastle is a wild card, but they seem to be smarter than that

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Out of these, I'll say only Jose is on the psychopathic/sociopathic spectrum. Infact he has multiple characteristics of that.

But for the others, it would be a bit much and I'd classify that as throwing these terms around easily. Just my 2 cents on this.
:houllier:

crossy1686

career ending
Really? Pretty much every elite club will gladly take him, apart from those who won't sacrifice their brand of football (Barca, Real, Bayern, City). Currently he wouldn't fit at United, Liverpool or Arsenal either, but other than those you have:
  • Juve, Milan, Inter, Roma (if PSG are crazy enough to go for Jose)
  • PSG themselves (in fact, they are the favourites)
  • Atletico would be a match made in heaven if Simeone moves on and there are certain indications that he may
  • it went sour with Chelsea, but under new ownership it might happen, it's not like he didn't make them champions
  • Newcastle is a wild card, but they seem to be smarter than that
No they wouldn't. He's done at the top level now, which is why he took the Tottenham job in the first place. He'll end up back in Italy because no one else will take him after this stint. If he's lucky he might land the PSG job at some point if they get desperate.

spiriticon

So glad we didn't hire him now.

Him and the Glazers would be like chalk and cheese

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Happy the club had a flash of common sense and didn't appoint him. He's cranky as hell and the football is terrible.

Smithy89

Spot on with his rant, tinpot Tottenham, their players have the mentality of a relegation side. They've proved it for years, especially Kane.

TheReligion

Abusive
MOTD showed how Spurs went in to a very rigid 5-4-1 when they went 3-1 and it invited pressure. That must have been Contes instructions surely?

slored1

He is right in questioning the mentality of the club, but he was brought in to change that. Look at how EtH did it instantly for us, compared to Conte at Spurs.

The players are completely different from the CL final 4 years ago (only Son, Kane and Lloris are part of the regular starting 11 from then). They have tried to change the team so much that there are now 4 left-backs and 3 right-backs on the books, 8 central midfielders and 7 centre-backs (some on loan). Conte spent further money on dross like Perisic, Lenglet and has not utilised other summer signings such as Bissouma or Richarlison.

They play garbage football and have for a year. Yesterday they allowed 20+ shots to the shittest team in the division and rarely look like winning. If he needs a completely new team to beat Southampton and Sheffield United, then he's a waste of money. His CL record is shite too.

To generalise my point, Conte has underperformed with what he has, why would the Spurs trust him to get more in?

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
He thinks he’s better than challenging for 4th in the Premier League but with another job seemingly ending in such a meltdown, his next move might be a step down. No one with a long term plan will touch him now.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Made Mourinho’s “heritage” speech look like a joke.
Said it for years, Conte makes Jose look like a pushy kit.

The only reason we didn't have these press conferences weekly in his second season with us is his grasp of English wasn't that great at that point.

The guy is an absolute menace.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don’t disagree that spurs are a mess but he’s got good players, a forward line that most of the league would like, good facilities and a great stadium.

he’s got to take personal responsibility. He’s not done a good job building a team togetherness, giving them an identity or a plan.

put Michael carrick in, a rookie TM and I guarantee he’d get a better tune out of the existing players

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He thinks he’s better than challenging for 4th in the Premier League but with another job seemingly ending in such a meltdown, his next move might be a step down. No one with a long term plan will touch him now.
Chequebook manager. Always is and always will be. Goes to the most powerful and wealthy team in Italy, wins a couple of titles but whiffs in Europe, leaves in a huff, next manager surpasses his achievements.

Goes to Chelsea, strong squad, two years off winning the league, adds players, league is pretty weak with the historic top sides all in transition, takes the previous title winning teams best player in Ngolo Kante. Again whiffs in Europe. Has a meltdown, leaves.

Goes to Inter, Serie A is in disarray, gets a good striker in, wins the league, has a meltdown the next season, leaves.

He is undeniably overrated and this codswallop of "he's a serial winner" is so overblown.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Can see Inter going back for him if they go out badly against Benfica and Juventus in the cup

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don’t disagree that spurs are a mess but he’s got good players, a forward line that most of the league would like, good facilities and a great stadium.

he’s got to take personal responsibility. He’s not done a good job building a team togetherness, giving them an identity or a plan.

put Michael carrick in, a rookie TM and I guarantee he’d get a better tune out of the existing players
As much as I hate defending Spurs the question has to be asked, why does this keep happening to Conte again and again and again?

It's hilarious whenever he praises us, he's genuinely done so more while at Tottenham than he did for his entire time while at the club.

Abraxas

After the CL lost, they capitulated. It dragged them down and they couldn't get over it. If everything was so rosey at the time, then it should have been sustainable. But the fact is, they peaked as a club as a 2nd place finisher to Leicester, a CL Final, and a new stadium. Never came close to it again and might not as Kane can only go for so long and his supporting cast isn't firing like it was towards the end of last season or prior seasons.

The club never improved to take on that last hurdle. Something was missing and they didn't address it. Just ran it back thinking it'd just happen again...guess what, it didn't happen again and what's been happening for the last two decades crept up.

I'm not disagreeing on your assessment on Conte about not hiring him, but only in fine circumstances.
Yes they have struggled after the CL. That's football, you have cycles within a squad of when they're most effective and then it becomes about can you rebuild effectively. Especially for Spurs who are 5-6th financially, it's hard to have the same depth of talent so when a few drop off it's tough. They didn't and then Poch got the sack. Many a decent manager that overall does a good job runs their course, there is no issue with that as a fan IMO.

It's usually the case when you join a football club, it's not all going to be perfectly lined up. That's why we talk about a process, one which Poch undertook for them. Otherwise why would you be walking into the job in the first place. If you look at the entire football landscape it's probably only De Zerbi that's been fortunate enough to have walked into an ideal situation this season.

So the question is why couldn't Conte accept this reality at Spurs. Do what he's employed to do. Use funds wisely, which he's got. Play decent football people can be arsed to watch and players want to play so there is positivity. Don't explode early on, accept the process with some realism. That doesn't mean accept low standards, it means being a leader and seeing the big picture. It wasn't rocket science what's required. It's a very tough job to win things with Spurs, don't get me wrong, but the logic around the process isn't so difficult. What Conte has done had 0 prospects and now all we're seeing is him mounting a self defence, completely selfishly because he could have talked at the expiry of his contract.

Then people say he's "right." It was impossible to be right because regardless of the content of what he said, he's Tottenham manager, they have games to go and important objectives to reach. You don't get to throw the entire club under the bus and be right when you could have talked at the expiry of your contract. That's sabotage.

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

To be fair it's easy to be classy when you're doing alright
Spurs are currently 1 point behind United in league and haven't been on the receiving end of a 7-0 thrashing to their biggest rivals. Think of some of the other issues Ten Hag has had to deal with (eg the Ronaldo situation). If Conte thinks things are bad at Spurs, he would've torn his wig off by now if he was United's manager.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Love football and the moronic pundits.

Show no emotion ala Potter. Get rid.
Show too much emotion ala Conte . Get rid.

The ONLY thing that matters in football management is winning. That's it. Everything else is just white noise.

If Spurs were top of the league and he said that, he would be called the most honest manager in the world and a revelation to football. They're not so he is a psychotic fraud.
Is this not what he always does? That's just him.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Back to one of the big Italian sides eventually I would imagine. They seem to have no issue re-appointing people, especially a proven winner like Conte.
Makes sense. His style suits that league a lot more.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
So he was given funds to sign Romero. He then asked for Richarlison who you didn't need.
That's not correct at all. Romero we had agreed to sign before Conte even joined the club. Conte's top priority since he joined has been another center back. At least try to use facts to push your agenda.

It's well known Conte asked the club to get Bastoni as a priority and he was given Lenglet on loan instead.

Last edited: