Antonio Valencia | 2009/10 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Valencia is still young and when you look at it, two goals at this stage is decent going by his previous record. He also missed two guilt edge changes earlier this season so he's getting in the positions

I didn't see his performance, except the highlights but his goal puts us in a much stronger position then if we'd have got the draw. We can breath a little and that's thanks in part to Valencia yesterday who got a very good goal at a very important time of the match

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
The only thing with him is his predictability when taking on a man on the wing. Fake inside, go outside. Seems to be the only move he has, i may be wrong and he's only trying to keep it simple whilst he gets used to his surroundings, but he needs to find a trick or two to beat a man rather than knock it and run.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The only thing with him is his predictability when taking on a man on the wing. Fake inside, go outside. Seems to be the only move he has, i may be wrong and he's only trying to keep it simple whilst he gets used to his surroundings, but he needs to find a trick or two to beat a man rather than knock it and run.
I don't think he needs a trick or two, just a little more variety in how he tries to beat a man, like going inside once in awhile. It's unfair to compare him to Giggs because the latter is one of the games great dribblers, but apart from having such good control Giggs is so unpredictable these days. He can go inside, go outside, stop and start at will, fake etc etc. He does it without any 'trick' the way a certain portugese used to. So I dont think tricks are necessary and I think Valencia slowly should add more variety to his game. Will be great to see Obertan as well soon.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm curious to know how he smacked the crossbar, what with his inability to cut inside an' all?
That was an absolutely stunning move. Would have been such a an awesome goal had it gone in. Deserved a goal really. When he hits it well Valencia has some venom behind his shot.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That was an absolutely stunning move. Would have been such a an awesome goal had it gone in. Deserved a goal really. When he hits it well Valencia has some venom behind his shot.
I watched the Brazil-Ecuador game earlier this season and he absolutely smelted the ball against the crossbar in that game. One of those shots when it's hit the bar and rebounded out of the box before anyone has moved a muscle. The woodwork is probably still rattling.

Decotron

I watched the Brazil-Ecuador game earlier this season and he absolutely smelted the ball against the crossbar in that game. One of those shots when it's hit the bar and rebounded out of the box before anyone has moved a muscle. The woodwork is probably still rattling.
Alot of people could do with watching his performance in that game. I was very impressed with his performance in the central role that night.

Denis' cuff

give him a break mate - he's only been here 5 minutes. A bit more confidence, which will come, will see him trying more ambious moves.

Xander45

I don't think he needs a trick or two, just a little more variety in how he tries to beat a man, like going inside once in awhile. It's unfair to compare him to Giggs because the latter is one of the games great dribblers, but apart from having such good control Giggs is so unpredictable these days. He can go inside, go outside, stop and start at will, fake etc etc. He does it without any 'trick' the way a certain portugese used to. So I dont think tricks are necessary and I think Valencia slowly should add more variety to his game. Will be great to see Obertan as well soon.
Yes, that is kind of what i meant. Maybe the term "trick" wasn't the best wording. He just needs to mix things up a bit instead of always going to the byline, he's got pace to burn and a hell of a shot and will be a great asset.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
The way Beckham skipped past his defender to put a cross in was predictable, the way Henry cut inside from the left was predictable, but it didnt stop them from getting past their opponent almost every single time. Valencia will get more and more effective with each game and with more confidence.

Count Duckula

Another poor display tonight, I thought. Better than Nani, but barely. His goal aside (and that wasn't really his goal either, as his shot was sailing miles wide) he did one of two things all match: run to the touchline, wait for five seconds and then pass it back to Neville; or try to do something other than pass it to Neville and promptly lose the ball.

twitter thread suggester
We need a "Valencia Left Foot Watch". I honestly didn't see him use it even once tonight, and it limited him somewhat in quite a few situations where he threw the ball away too easily.

Mainoldo

Another poor display tonight, I thought. Better than Nani, but barely. His goal aside (and that wasn't really his goal either, as his shot was sailing miles wide) he did one of two things all match: run to the touchline, wait for five seconds and then pass it back to Neville; or try to do something other than pass it to Neville and promptly lose the ball.
I can't stand him.... His just G.Neville with pace playing right wing.

Rahul

Nani was better tonight.

Valencia needs to grow some bollocks and stop playing the safe option. Its not about who's got the better pass completion, but about who makes a better impact on games.

I'm not one to always bring up Ronaldo, but he always had the courage and audacity to try some crazy shit. Whether it be a backheel to unlock the defence, or shooting from 40 yards out.

Valencia seems like Mr.Safe to me.

Ekeke

He was solid but unspectacular as always, and could have done a little bit more with his crossing oppertunites, but credit to him for having a go from range. Luck was on his side tonight and too few of our players take it upon themselves to try and get a goal from range.

I think Nani was about as good tonight. Same good and bad parts, but his good parts included a few fantastic flicks which cut through the opposition and gave us good chances, including the Owen goal.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
You're ignoring a couple of sublime crosses he made, one of which was pivitol in our first goal.

F-Red

I agree Count Duckula, didn't have a good one for sure.

I don't know what it is with him, but he won't try to go past a player. He'll get to the touchline but just hold onto it.

Also as he drifted in towards the middle towards the end of the game, it was evident that his close control is poor & has the touch of a rapist. Often put too much power on the little dink pass & looked uncomfortable.

He needs to adapt a little i think, as its becoming very predictable what he'll do next when he gets the ball.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Almost everytime this thread gets bumped the comments frustrate me, I really should stop reading it.

Count Duckula

You're ignoring a couple of sublime crosses he made, one of which was pivitol in our first goal.
Hardly, Nani's dragged backheel made that goal - and you can't tell me Valencia meant Nani to do it. Had Nani not had the technique to pull it off then it would have been another Valencia cross behind the strikers to no one.

Pogue Mahone

And the cross from which Macheda hit the post and the one he put on a plate for Owen in the first few minutes and the through ball which led to Macheda skimming the post etc. etc.

Sometimes I think I watch a different game to most of ye cnuts. How the feck did Nani play better than him? :confused:

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
Poor display? Only on the caf.

Probably our most lively player in the first half (Involved in our first goal as well) and fixed the winning goal (it was not sailing miles wide). So, a good partnership with his fullback is a negative thing? He's beginning to show a lot more confidence and will eventually decrease with playing the safe option.

Xander45

I thought he did well, he needs to takes some lessons from Neville though in the art of getting in behind your man. And he still hasn't used his left foot!

soapythecat

He was really annoying tonight. Hardly got past a man all night and his crossing was poor for the majority. I honestly believe that the man offers us little going forward. His contribution to the games are common with the general play of the team.

Pogue Mahone

Hardly, Nani's dragged backheel made that goal - and you can't tell me Valencia meant Nani to do it. Had Nani not had the technique to pull it off then it would have been another Valencia cross behind the strikers to no one.
What the feck are you talking about? Seriously?

Are you actually trying to claim none of his crosses today found his team-mates? Christ.

Ekeke

Poor display? Only on the caf.

Probably our most lively player in the first half (Involved in our first goal as well) and fixed the winning goal (it was not sailing miles wide). So, a good partnership with his fullback is a negative thing? He's beginning to show a lot more confidence and will eventually decrease with playing the safe option.
:wenger: Are you related to him by any chance?

He was no better or worse than any of our front players in the first half. It was a decent display. But how was that shot not going clearly wide? Credit to him for having a pop, he got a bit of luck and rescued a point for us - but the accuracy of that shot wasnt troubling Akinfeev at all before the deflection.

B Cantona

Desperate
Sometimes I think I watch a different game to most of ye cnuts. How the feck did Nani play better than him? :confused:
Laughable aint it

Valencia played well, I'm liking the look of him now. Wish he'd get the confidence to drive at his man a bit more, but he's starting to grow into it

Was frankly a no brainer to take Nani off sadly, poor again

dev1l

He was really annoying tonight. Hardly got past a man all night and his crossing was poor for the majority. I honestly believe that the man offers us little going forward. His contribution to the games are common with the general play of the team.
His worst game this season and was incredibly lucky with the goal...

Crerand Legend

If someone hadnt seen the match and was depending on this thread for info he wouldnt have a clue whether Valencia played well or not.I thought he done well

Number7

Ret's Slave
He was our best player in the first half.

Gary Neville helped him out a lot on the wing. I wonder how much a player with a lot of pace, ie Rafael would compliment him on that side?

He cuts back a bit too much for my liking though. Might be a confidence issue.

johnmufc

I thought he was mediocre today. Credit to him for taking that shot and all, but his crossing in particular was bad.

Has anyone ever seen him use his left foot? :confused:

Enigma_87

You know who
What the feck are you talking about? Seriously?

Are you actually trying to claim none of his crosses today found his team-mates? Christ.
lol. Did you see him make any runs tonight that were beyond mediocre? He was a waste of space tonight. Seriously, what game have I been watching then? From the start of the second half till that cross to Macheda he was anywhere in between non existent and wank. He lost the ball like 4-5 times in a row.
First half he took like a decade to adjust the ball in one of our best chances to see a CSKA player tackling him. Slowed almost any attack down passing backwards and running circles stuck to the byline or the touchline.

Seriously 3 crosses for a game and a MOTM contender? Seriously?

Nani has been as good as him to say at least but his decision making is frustrating more and more people.

At least he beat his man a couple of times.

onlyoneunited

I've said it before and i'll say it again, he needs to learn to cross the ball first time and put in the early ball.

Ole'sbodyguard

That his third goal in his last five games. Considering alot was made of his scoring at Wigan(where three was his best a season if I recall correctly) he is already improving on what a few predicted he would give us goalwise this season as he has matched that with 7 months of the season left. He could scrape double figures if he keeps this up and is our highest scorer outside of the strikers.

There still a fair bit of improvement to come but I also think he has grown into a United player this past month and seems to be Fergie's first choice at right wing. Nice to see after the one man show on the wings Giggs was making for that period after the Arsenal match when he was only player making goals for others.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
lol. Did you see him make any runs tonight that were beyond mediocre? He was a waste of space tonight. Seriously, what game have I been watching then? From the start of the second half till that cross to Macheda he was anywhere in between non existent and wank. He lost the ball like 4-5 times in a row.
First half he took like a decade to adjust the ball in one of our best chances to see a CSKA player tackling him. Slowed almost any attack down passing backwards and running circles stuck to the byline or the touchline.

Nani has been as good as him to say at least but his decision making is frustrating more and more people.

I really don't know.

Pogue Mahone

Sorry but I'm not wasting my time talking football with you again. Not after the last time. Boy was that a waste of time.

lol.

Ekeke

I thought he was mediocre today. Credit to him for taking that shot and all, but his crossing in particular was bad.

Has anyone ever seen him use his left foot? :confused:
Scored with it last season for Wigan actually. Was from about 7 yards out and right in front of the keeper. But he does know its there...

Status
Not open for further replies.