Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

What I mean is that he's had the courage to do what he thinks is right, it must have been a hard decision for him. Anything that hopefully gets him back to his best is fine for me.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
I think it was someone on 606 yesterday who said he was considering giving up the no. 7 shirt.

I'm surprised someone on 606 was actually right.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
Talking of numbers, if Rooney goes then we should have someone lined up for the #10 as well. RvP already said he's not considering changing his number.

Brophs

The One and Only
If there's a better reason for wanting to buy a player than wanting to fill a shirt number, I've yet to hear it.

JmRssll555

It'll be a bit shit if Rooney leaves, then we won't have a number 7, or a 9, or a 10!

Not one for the purists anyway.

decorativeed

He was never a No7 type. Good player knits the side together well but a workhorse type and not a pure flair player. Interesting to see who gets it.
A 'number 7 type' to me is someone who plays on the right wing. Seems other people see it as something more than that. Looks like Valencia has read more into it too.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
A 'number 7 type' to me is someone who plays on the right wing. Seems other people see it as something more than that. Looks like Valencia has read more into it too.
The no.7 shirt at United has become something more because of the likes of Best, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo.

Varun

Staff

Naah, cant ignore the history of players that have worn it in the past.

decorativeed

The no.7 shirt at United has become something more because of the likes of Best, Cantona, Beckham and Ronaldo.
I disagree, it's fans who have made it into something more than that. Squad numbers have only been around for 20 years and coincidentally we have had a sustained period of success during that time, while (coincidentally) three excellent players have happened to wear that number - two of whom played primarily on the right wing.

Best wore number 7... along with number 11, number 10, number 9 and number 8.

That'sHernandez

I disagree, it's fans who have made it into something more than that. Squad numbers have only been around for 20 years and coincidentally we have had a sustained period of success during that time, while (coincidentally) three excellent players have happened to wear that number - two of whom played primarily on the right wing.

Best wore number 7... along with number 11, number 10, number 9 and number 8.
It's widely reported that Ronaldo was told to wear no.7 because Fergie felt he was going to be something special, it was no coincidence.

I know best wore multiple numbers but he is largely remembered in the no.7 shirt.

Goooose

It's widely reported that Ronaldo was told to wear no.7 because Fergie felt he was going to be something special, it was no coincidence.

I know best wore multiple numbers but he is largely remembered in the no.7 shirt.
Is that not something people have associated him with after the likes of Robson, Cantona and Ronaldo wore #7? I was only born in the 80's so I obviously don't remember Best.

That'sHernandez

Is that not something people have associated him with after the likes of Robson, Cantona and Ronaldo wore #7? I was only born in the 80's so I obviously don't remember Best.
He wore it in the 68 European Cup Final and I think the semi-finals.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
on the pitch now defo wearing the 25 somethings happening.

Gambit

Regardless of what people say it is now the most iconic shirt in club football.

Gambit

the marketing Nike could get from this if they announce a new deal and a new signing on the same day all under the number 7 shirt.

decorativeed

Every good team have had their legends in the number 7 shirt. Players who have played in that position for great sides tend to be great themselves. It's not a unique United trait.

Ronaldo wore it because he played on the right wing and our previous number 7 had left. Giving him a first eleven squad number was the main thing, but of course he could look back on all the great players who had worn that shirt before. Same goes for the number 9 and number 10 shirts for strikers and with the number 1 shirt for keepers, etc.

Count Orduck

Some people are superstitious he was poor with number 7 on his back last year but the seasons before that with number 25 he was POTY he wants to move back for some luck I don't see the big deal!
This was my immediate thought. "I was great with the number 25, switched to 7 and was crap, so I want to go back to the number I had when I was good". It's superstition, methinks, no a marker of some Grand Return.

Goooose

Yeah, but did he wear it in any big games?

That's probably where it comes from then, completely forgot about that.

The Neviller

Every good team have had their legends in the number 7 shirt. Players who have played in that position for great sides tend to be great themselves. It's not a unique United trait.

Ronaldo wore it because he played on the right wing and our previous number 7 had left. Giving him a first eleven squad number was the main thing, but of course he could look back on all the great players who had worn that shirt before. Same goes for the number 9 and number 10 shirts for strikers and with the number 1 shirt for keepers, etc.
Ferguson himself talked it up when he gave it to Ronaldo. It's an iconic number, for whatever reason, so I'm not sure why you're arguing the point.

Cina

Personally I prefer #10, it looks cooler, plus you get two digits on the shirt. Bargain.

decorativeed

He was saying it should give him confidence to know that the manager believed in him enough to give him a first team squad number and to look at the players who had worn it before him and draw on that. The idea that some players don't deserve it has been made up by fans in recent years after it was given to Owen.

That'sHernandez

Without defaulting to Raul, name them then. Name another club where the No.7 is as heralded as at United.

As The Neviller said, Fergie himself talked up the No.7 shirt when he gave it to Ronaldo and has done so since so the No.7 shirt is a special shirt for United.

That'sHernandez

He was saying it should give him confidence to know that the manager believed in him enough to give him a first team squad number and to look at the players who had worn it before him and draw on that. The idea that some players don't deserve it has been made up by fans in recent years after it was given to Owen.
The second part isn't true, Fergie talked the No.7 shirt up and made Ronaldo wear it. Ronaldo said he felt he had to live up to the players who had worn it previously to honour them, which will be a result of Fergie talking up the shirt. You've got your head in the sand if you think the No.7 shirt at United is "just a number".

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I don't mean that, it's more that if he's superstitious I'm hopeful that getting the 25 back will help him find his confidence again. I think he already looked a bit more threatening today.
When you believe in things that you don't understand, then you suffer. Superstition ain't the way.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Had a dream last night actually that Bale missed his chance of going to Madrid as the transfer window had closed, and he said "I am disappointed, but I am very looking forward to playing for my boyhood club Manchester United".

IT'S A SIGN.

Varun

Staff
Had a dream last night actually that Bale missed his chance of going to Madrid as the transfer window had closed, and he said "I am disappointed, but I am very looking forward to playing for my boyhood club Manchester United".

IT'S A SIGN.

A sign that you're a transfer muppet alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.