Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

Not a bad game, but an average one - 6/10. He looked tired, for once and didn't drive with the ball like we are used to. However, that showed us two things:
1) We are far too reliant on a right back
2) Our wing play down the right is completely non existent when Valencia isn't on song

Darmian should have played, or Mensah. It would have been better to save Valencia for Everton.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I don't think he was tired. Whenever he got the ball and faced the full back West Brom immediately had another player on the outside covering up which stopped him from going through his normal routine. Good defensive play from WBA tbf.

Ashley R1+O

Not a bad game, but an average one - 6/10. He looked tired, for once and didn't drive with the ball like we are used to.
This was literally the same performance as every game this season. Pulling teeth in the final third and pretty solid everywhere otherwise. I am not sure where the ratings fluctuations come form because he's literally putting these performances in week in week out. In a game where we had 74% of possession he has to be doing better with his 61 touches than 1/6 crossing and 31 backwards passes out of 65.

Literally half his passes were him running up, somebody threatening to close him and him turning and passing the ball back. It is a constant theme in every game.
2) Our wing play down the right is completely non existent when Valencia isn't on song
It is non existent even when he is on song. He has 6 assists in 35 appearances for gods sake, he's not contributing significantly other than to be spannering in a stupid amount of crosses that go nowhere.

He has rarely threatened to take the ball in behind and put an opportunity on a plate and it is something that we really need to be doing since he gets so much time and space out wide.

Footyislife

This was literally the same performance as every game this season. Pulling teeth in the final third and pretty solid everywhere otherwise. I am not sure where the ratings fluctuations come form because he's literally putting these performances in week in week out. In a game where we had 74% of possession he has to be doing better with his 61 touches than 1/6 crossing and 31 backwards passes out of 65.

Literally half his passes were him running up, somebody threatening to close him and him turning and passing the ball back. It is a constant theme in every game.

It is non existent even when he is on song. He has 6 assists in 35 appearances for gods sake, he's not contributing significantly other than to be spannering in a stupid amount of crosses that go nowhere.

He has rarely threatened to take the ball in behind and put an opportunity on a plate and it is something that we really need to be doing since he gets so much time and space out wide.
I agree that he isn't as consistent as some people build him out to be with his final product, but the 6 assists also has something to do with our poor finishing and player movement. Other thing to consider while his play in the final third has been okay, he's been spectacular with his defensive contributions and to the build up play. Still one of the best RB's in he PL.

Ashley R1+O

I agree that he isn't as consistent as some people build him out to be with his final product, but the 6 assists also has something to do with our poor finishing and player movement. Other thing to consider while his play in the final third has been okay, he's been spectacular with his defensive contributions and to the build up play. Still one of the best RB's in he PL.
Definitely true about the finishing. That is definitely fair, maybe I am being a little emotive in my criticism. I guess one would have to drill even deeper and work out why he isn't consistently putting chances absolutely on a plate for people with tap-ins etc. That would be a more calculated assessment into the problems in the attacking third and I think not only Valencia struggles but all of our players struggle with it. Consistently taking on your man and having the link-up stability between your wide player and fullback is an important aspect of how the attack functions.

I think defensively he is still very solid and capable. But I would definitely trade a little bit of that for some cohesion in the final third, he needs to get his winger boots back on and start attacking people in the final third. Remember that great assist against Liverpool where he skinned the fullback and squared the ball on a plate for Rooney. I'd love to see more chances that force the attacker to miss, not relentless fenneling the ball in over the top for low percentage headers and the like.

Reactions: Varun

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
There's a reason he wasn't playing tonight. Last match was knackered from the internationals in South America and playing non stop before that. First time I've seen him tired, last match.
I know all that though? Not sure how it's related to my question.

NinjaFletch

As good a season as he's had I can't say I thought we missed him tonight. His defensive duties were covered reasonably well and I don't think we missed his overhit floated crosses to nobody.

Massive Spanner

Because despite the result, our right side is missing without him, but more than decent with him there. He's always an outlet, keeps wide and is great at starting attacks. Young didn't offer nearly as much.
Ok but how is your previous post related to my question? :lol:

I'm not sure what we missed tonight really, we created plenty but couldn't finish our chances as usual and it's not like our right side was in trouble defensively. How is a player who hasn't scored in four years and barely ever gets an assist a big miss in a game like that? We actually created far less with him on the pitch on Saturday.

Rossa

I'm not sure what we missed tonight really, we created plenty but couldn't finish our chances as usual and it's not like our right side was in trouble defensively. How is a player who hasn't scored in four years and barely ever gets an assist a big miss in a game like that? We actually created far less with him on the pitch on Saturday.
Because you compared today with west Brom where he was visibly tired, which Mourinho compared. Therefore, I said IT wasn't a normal Valencia performance. Without Valencia, we tend to be numb down that right side. Young had two decent contributions, but he's not close to being the outlet that Valencia is.

NinjaFletch

Because you compared today with west Brom where he was visibly tired, which Mourinho compared. Therefore, I said IT wasn't a normal Valencia performance. Without Valencia, we tend to be numb down that right side. Young had two decent contributions, but he's not close to being the outlet that Valencia is.
Again, I think Valencia has had a good season, but I must be having a brain aneurism because I really can't remember him actually looking a threat down there. At best he gives us width. As much as I don't rate him I thought Young did a decent impersonation of him for large pats today.

Massive Spanner

But did we miss him badly today? What would he have solved? Has past evidence shown that he is the difference between us scoring goals and not? No.

Rossa

But did we miss him badly today? What would he have solved? Has past evidence shown that he is the difference between us scoring goals and not? No.
We missed him because of the width he occupies, thus creating space for others. At times yesterday, our right side was vacated because Lingard was everywhere but the right wing. Young also drifted in. In the second half, that improved.

Massive Spanner

We missed him because of the width he occupies, thus creating space for others. At times yesterday, our right side was vacated because Lingard was everywhere but the right wing. Young also drifted in. In the second half, that improved.
Am I losing my mind or something? What would that have solved? Are you saying him occupying that width would've solved our inability to put the ball into the back of the net? Have we not had the exact same problem with Valencia in the team in most of our other home games too?

Seriously, do some people just love the guy so much that anytime he doesn't play they'll say we missed him or something? Because we didn't tonight, Everton didn't threaten down his side, and we created plenty of chances. The only way we could've missed him is if he's a difference maker when it comes to us scoring goals which he clearly isn't.

stevoc

Valencia has been good this season, but in a match like last night i don't see what difference he would have made. We've drew plenty of others games with him in the side.

To be fair he scored a few weeks back against Middlesbrough.

Ashley R1+O

Seriously, do some people just love the guy so much that anytime he doesn't play they'll say we missed him or something? Because we didn't tonight, Everton didn't threaten down his side, and we created plenty of chances. The only way we could've missed him is if he's a difference maker when it comes to us scoring goals which he clearly isn't.
Agreed, maybe it is a little vogue to give a guy an ego boost by saying "we missed him tonight" in his thread. But I agree, doubt it would have made any difference.

Rossa

Am I losing my mind or something? What would that have solved? Are you saying him occupying that width would've solved our inability to put the ball into the back of the net? Have we not had the exact same problem with Valencia in the team in most of our other home games too?

Obviously he's not going to be the one scoring the goals. However, in the first half especially we struggled to create chances. That was much better in the second half. I do believe Valencia would have contributed more in attack in creating space and facilitating our attack in that first half. That being said, though, he tends to be better in attack in the second halves.

You may be right, but our right side is much busier with him in the side, which changes our play. In the first half, out right side was completely lacklustre. Besides two runs from Young, nothing happened. That contributes to congesting the middle and the left side. That's why I think he contributes to more than just goals and assists. Obviously, he's not magically going to make Pogba head the ball in the goal, or make Fellaini a good player, but he does do other things - but scoring goals, no that would have to be someone else.

Red_toad

2016/17 1 goal, 4 assists, 30 chances created. Guy compares against any other right back in the league you'd care to mention very favourably.
What exactly are you expecting from our right back? For me when he plays he creates more space for others by staying out wide and offering an outlet, we've too many players who want to stay central.

Massive Spanner

2016/17 1 goal, 4 assists, 30 chances created. Guy compares against any other right back in the league you'd care to mention very favourably.
What exactly are you expecting from our right back? For me when he plays he creates more space for others by staying out wide and offering an outlet, we've too many players who want to stay central.
You misunderstand. Posters said we missed him hugely last night, I said we didn't. I don't expect much more from Valencia, he's arguably been the best RB in the league this season, but last night we didn't miss him, he wasn't going to solve our inability to score goals!

Massive Spanner

Obviously he's not going to be the one scoring the goals. However, in the first half especially we struggled to create chances. That was much better in the second half. I do believe Valencia would have contributed more in attack in creating space and facilitating our attack in that first half. That being said, though, he tends to be better in attack in the second halves.

You may be right, but our right side is much busier with him in the side, which changes our play. In the first half, out right side was completely lacklustre. Besides two runs from Young, nothing happened. That contributes to congesting the middle and the left side. That's why I think he contributes to more than just goals and assists. Obviously, he's not magically going to make Pogba head the ball in the goal, or make Fellaini a good player, but he does do other things - but scoring goals, no that would have to be someone else.
That's kind of my whole point here, though?

I'm not criticizing Tony, he's arguably one of our best players this season and the best RB in the league, anyone can see that, but last night was a bizarre time to bump this thread saying we "missed him", because it was one game where we did not miss him. I fail to see how he would've made a difference in that game, we all know that the one thing he lacks right now is goals or the ability to regularly create them, and that was the be all and end all of why we only drew last night.

Basically it was a stupid bump by his biggest unadulterated fanboy, but I guess you'd expect that from @Sigma .

Rossa

That's kind of my whole point here, though?

I'm not criticizing Tony, he's arguably one of our best players this season and the best RB in the league, anyone can see that, but last night was a bizarre time to bump this thread saying we "missed him", because it was one game where we did not miss him. I fail to see how he would've made a difference in that game, we all know that the one thing he lacks right now is goals or the ability to regularly create them, and that was the be all and end all of why we only drew last night.

Basically it was a stupid bump by his biggest unadulterated fanboy, but I guess you'd expect that from @Sigma .
Fair enough. I do think he could have provided an outlet on that right side, which were all but missing in the first half, resulting in a congested center and left side. But as you say, scoring goals is not what he does.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Wonder what is up with Tony V? :(
No idea, he was rested v Everton so I thought he'd be back in today but then Mou has opted for Darmian for some strange reason. If he doesn't start on Thursday then I'd be worried.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
No idea, he was rested v Everton so I thought he'd be back in today but then Mou has opted for Darmian for some strange reason. If he doesn't start on Thursday then I'd be worried.
Yeah, apparently an injury. Really hope he's back for Thursday, our most consistent and reliable player this season out for a longer time and I'll start thinking of next season.

Sigma

Apparently he was injured for the Everton game. Hopefully he's back on Thursday.
Yeah, apparently an injury. Really hope he's back for Thursday, our most consistent and reliable player this season out for a longer time and I'll start thinking of next season.
Mourinho said he was tired for the Everton game. I'm guessing he's just being rested for the Europa League.

Status
Not open for further replies.