Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If Valencia had attacking quality like say a marcelo we would be top in the league.

He wastes so many chances from good positions but there is probably no full back in the world that can work up and down and out the shift in like he does
Top of the league simply by changing a full back? How do you figure that? The problem all season has been finishing chances. Creating them isn't a big problem.

Also, the hypothetical "if Valencia would be as good going forward as possibly the best attacking full back of all time we'd do better" isn't much of a statement. Similar to saying that if Neymar was on the left instead of Martial we'd be more dangerous.

Sylar

I swear, when he puts in a left footed cross, its almost always dangerous or creates a chance. Its madness.

El Zoido

I know everyone absolutely loves him but I still think we can do a lot better. I cannot fault his dedication and work rate, but his crossing is not particularly great and he continually does this thing where he recieves the ball and stands like a statue over it for several seconds, bringing any move to an instant halt. Honestly it drives me nuts and he does it several times every game. He's definitely the best we've got in that position, no doubt about that, but I'd really like to see us bring in a dedicated RB over the summer.

3KDré

I do think he really needs to work on his offensive contributions. I love that he never loses the ball or a physical duel or is ever out of position but when he is in offensive positions he's got to do better.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
It wasn't his best performance yesterday, but to be honest the Anderlecht coach played a left back on him to make sure he doesn't get the ball that much.

Well done by Anderlecht.

arnie_ni

Top of the league simply by changing a full back? How do you figure that? The problem all season has been finishing chances. Creating them isn't a big problem.

Also, the hypothetical "if Valencia would be as good going forward as possibly the best attacking full back of all time we'd do better" isn't much of a statement. Similar to saying that if Neymar was on the left instead of Martial we'd be more dangerous.
He used to be a winger. He should be better with his final ball and beating a full back one on one.

So much of our attacking play goes through him

OldTrevil

I thought he was the worst player on the pitch yesterday. On top of his usual predictability and slowing down our moves offensively, he was very suspect defensively. He took too many risks to nick the ball of the attacker which failed and needlessly put us under pressure, and when he wasn't tight he gave them too much space for too long. On the first goal, he gave the initial shooter yards of space to bring the ball under control and have a uncontested shot at goal. Valencia plays on-rushing attackers as if they are Neymar or Messi and gives them way too much respect. The fact he is one of our fastest and most experienced players and still does that is so annoying. I know people love his engine and it's top notch, but a Man Utd RB should not be lauded for having speed and stamina, it should be a given. Technical skill and bravery on and off the ball must be a minimum requirement for our fullbacks since we use them a lot in our build up play as most teams we play park the bus. These teams also necessarily play us on the counter so our fullbacks must be brave defensively. I've seen people claim we need to upgrade this or that player if we want to compete at the highest level, Valencia is top of that list if we're being honest.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Valencia was not spotted at the Lowry yesterday and although some have met up separately recently, his latest social media post is not encouraging.

He posted:

“When you think things are going well, something suddenly happens to ruin it.”

IrishRedDevil

Bloody hell, if he's injured we really are up against it.

Zlatan, Rojo and Valencia have been 3 of our best performing players. When it rains, it pours :(

Sigma

Might just be referencing Zlatan and Rojo's injuries (although I've looked at his twitter and instagram and can't find that message).

He was never gonna play this game anyway, with City coming up in midweek and the Europa League the week after that. Especially considering we have adequate cover in the full back areas - Young and Darmian.

top1whoisman

Scout
Might just be referencing Zlatan and Rojo's injuries (although I've looked at his twitter and instagram and can't find that message).

He was never gonna play this game anyway, with City coming up in midweek and the Europa League the week after that. Especially considering we have adequate cover in the full back areas - Young and Darmian.
Aye, didn't find that either. :confused: Having a break from fb, so perhaps someone can fill us in. Snapchat?

top1whoisman

Scout
VALENCIA WELL VERSED IN MANCHESTER DERBIES

Antonio Valencia is excited by Manchester United's short trip to the Etihad Stadium on Thursday night and hoping the Reds can produce "a big performance" against the club's local rivals.

The Ecuador international has gained plenty of experience in derby fixtures since joining the Reds in 2009, having faced Manchester City on 17 previous occasions in all competitions. Ahead of the latest match between the sides, Valencia says he knows how important the meetings are to the fans.

"I've lived in the Manchester area for a good few years now, so I know exactly what these games mean to the fans," Valencia told MUTV.

"The people of Manchester put huge importance on this game. I know they really live the experience, so I'm sure it will be a great atmosphere.

"We're excited. We just hope that, on the night, we can perform really well and put in a big performance. I think we're going into it in good shape, we’ve been working hard and we all feel well prepared."

Valencia has been widely praised for his performances this season, and while he is delighted by the progress he has made under Jose Mourinho's management, he insists there is still work to be done before the end of the campaign.

"I’m very happy with the season and the work I’ve put in throughout the season so far," he added.

"But what we need to remember is that it’s not over yet, there are still games to come and there's a trophy [the Europa League] at stake at the end of the season, we need to make sure we get our hands on that.

"I love this team and I love this club with a passion, I love being here and I’m very grateful for the support of the fans this season. Also, the manager and my team-mates have shown great faith in me, and that makes me very happy.

"I’m in a good place at the moment, but I need to make sure I keep pushing and performing at the same level until the end of the season."

MUTV's exclusive interview with Antonio Valencia will be shown in Matchday Live from 19:00 BST on Thursday.

Rossa

I swear, when he puts in a left footed cross, its almost always dangerous or creates a chance. Its madness.
I noticed that he put in a few left footed crosses against Anderlect, and each of them were pretty good. To me, however, he looked to cut inside and cross with his left for two reasons:
1) he looked tired and not up to taking on his defenders at full sprint, and that winger of theirs looked pretty rapid as well.
2) he once again had absolutely zero cover on that right side.

Mata and Valencia work on the right because Mata actually stays on the right then drifts inside allowing space for Valencia to run into as Mata drags one of their players inside. When Lingard plays, Lingard is everywhere but the right side, which leaves Valencia isolated in attack and defense, mostly against two players. He can still take on and go past players and does so regularly when he tries, but he cannot do that when there is nobody covering for him in defense.

People really are expecting him to do two jobs all the time. Marcelo is great in attack and has the license to attack pretty much all the time, but his defending can be downright atrocious at times. I'm not sure I would want Valencia to play the same way.

Sylar

@Rossa - thats fair. Im just saying overall, whenever he does use his left foot its almost always productive. One of the first few times I remember was in the West Ham away game when he set up Rooney for the equaliser. Think it was around 2011.

Miami Heat

I came across the "Antonio Valencia - The Warrior - Amazing Skills, Cross, Tackles, Passes"(can't embed video :mad:) season compilation video on youtube yesterday and although I've watched every United match this season, I seem to have forgotten many of the top performances and display of skill offered by Valencia this season.

He truly deserves recognition... can't phantom how a few non-believers still remain within the Caf who argue that Valencia needs to be replaced.

Best RB in the league this season in my book.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I came across the "Antonio Valencia - The Warrior - Amazing Skills, Cross, Tackles, Passes"(can't embed video :mad:) season compilation video on youtube yesterday and although I've watched every United match this season, I seem to have forgotten many of the top performances and display of skill offered by Valencia this season.

He truly deserves recognition... can't phantom how a few non-believers still remain within the Caf who argue that Valencia needs to be replaced.

Best RB in the league this season in my book.
There's 2, not sure which one you're talking about

Rossa

@Rossa - thats fair. Im just saying overall, whenever he does use his left foot its almost always productive. One of the first few times I remember was in the West Ham away game when he set up Rooney for the equaliser. Think it was around 2011.
I don't disagree with you one bit. He's added a new dimension to his game, which was needed.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit disappointed at how allergic he seems to be to push up on the right. Rashford is making mince meat of them alone, but some support in attack would be nice.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Bit disappointed at how allergic he seems to be to push up on the right. Rashford is making mince meat of them alone, but some support in attack would be nice.
Bizarre that he's not pushing on, i can only assume its instruction given he's playing up against Sane

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Think he's told to sit back. Sane is pretty quick.
He's not told to hoof the ball aimlessly every time he is anywhere near it. His level drops massively always in big games.

Rossa

He's not told to hoof the ball aimlessly every time he is anywhere near it. His level drops massively always in big games.
Yeah, you don't like him. We get it. He hoofs it when he has no other option. He's made some pretty darn good passes near the box also, did you see that left footed pass to Carrick? He hoofed it three times. The pass to Miki was sublime, bringing the ball out of defense, but he only hoofs it.

Devil may care

Was obviously told not to push forward which neutralizes a big chunk of his game, but I thought he was good defensively and showed the steel required, I gave him MOTM just ahead of Bailly.

Sylar

There was one moment where he worked himself out of a pressing position in the first half and it concluded with a calm left footed pass to one of our midfielders.
Madness.
Jose has convinced him to use that left foot much more.

RedStarUnited

Did his job, the lack of movement in front of him at times today was staggering.
Yeah lets ignore how shit he is at crossing and general chance creation.

Someone above said it, we can do a lot better than him and we should buy a new RB. He is so god damn wasteful when in great positions to create. I dont think people understand how much of our play goes through him.

I have always felt he gets such an easy ride from fans and pundits alike cos he puts in shifts. But his creativity has almost always been poor. Apart from that year when Rooney was also on fire.

3KDré

I appreciate that he we don't need to worry about the entire right flank when he plays but his offensive game is so poor it is annoying.

Ashley R1+O

He has to be one of the most frustrating players in the final third I've ever seen. Letting the ball roll to a stop in the opposition box I mean FFS. Right before the Martial chance in the second half, he turned around a stationary ball so his back was to the keeper :houllier:. Just awful attacking play, and also fenneling the ball at the bloody keeper with 5 players waiting square in the box was immensely frustrating. Just weird decision making, have a look up for christ's sake.

Somebody has to start coaching his decision making in the final third, it is diabolical.

Status
Not open for further replies.