Antonio Valencia to be new club captain

MadMike

It should though, for some people here. And I'm inclined to agree.
Most people will agree something needs to change under Jose and this points to the same old him.
Opinions, everyone's entitled to their own. I for one think this says more about the people getting worked up by it than Mourinho in this case. There've been some nice little meltdowns, or overreactions if you will, in here.

I think giving the armband to Valencia is a nice gesture for his 10 years of service to United, same as with giving it to Carrick last season. Shows the club values loyalty. Also removes some of the extra pressure that would have perhaps been heaped on the shoulders of the young leaders of this squad (Pogba and Lukaku). It would be another stick for the dinosaur pundits in the media to beat them with if they have a bad game ("you expect your captain to be more... yada yada yada")

The second point about Mou changing, sure I'd like some things to change about him. But I'm hoping it's some the things that are more pertinent to our performances. Like allowing a bit more freedom to the attackers, perhaps allow two strikers to play up-front, and to be more encouraging rather than critical of his young players.

Djemba-Djemba

Even in worst case scenario, surely there's no way Phil Jones gets in strongest back 4? Look at his last few games, completely done by Hazard in two seperate games.

Bailly is much better. Of all your CB options Smalling-Bailly is your best combination by long way imo.
I agree but by the end of last season against all logic Jones had worked his way back into the team and it eventually cost us as it always seems to when we have to rely on him.

Jose likes Jones, it frustrates me immensely but there you go.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The captaincy really isn't all that important. The leaders in the team are going to be leaders regardless of who is wearing the armband. Back when we last won the CL we had half a team of past/future/potential Manchester United captains, it didn't really matter which of them was actually wearing the armband.

You could argue that Valencia being captain highlights a lack of leadership in the squad, which might be a fair argument. Picking him to be captain from amongst that group doesn't make any real difference though.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Opinions, everyone's entitled to their own. I for one think this says more about the people getting worked up by it than Mourinho in this case. There've been some nice little meltdowns, or overreactions if you will, in here.

I think giving the armband to Valencia is a nice gesture for his 10 years of service to United, same as with giving it to Carrick last season. Shows the club values loyalty. Also removes some of the extra pressure that would have perhaps been heaped on the shoulders of the young leaders of this squad (Pogba and Lukaku). It would be another stick for the dinosaur pundits in the media to beat them with if they have a bad game ("you expect your captain to be more... yada yada yada")

The second point about Mou changing, sure I'd like some things to change about him. But I'm hoping it's some the things that are more pertinent to our performances. Like allowing a bit more freedom to the attackers, perhaps allow two strikers to play up-front, and to be more encouraging rather than critical of his young players.
I agree that it should be more about the way we play, of course. My point was that this is just another thing that shows no statement of intent to do so to me.

Castia

Basically turned up after pre season about 4 stone overweight... what a joke.

Kag

If Mourinho says it in the press it's obviously true. It isn't as if he needs to pin blame for the terrible job he's doing on other players.

Questioning the professionalism of a bloke (without any issue) that's grafted his arse off for the club for ten years? I'm not buying it.

Distracted Steward

Surprised to hear Valencia turned up out of shape. He didn’t strike me as the type to let that happen. He’s done well to carve out his niche as a fullback and a captain, but he’s not the age or talent to rest on laurels. If this is more than a blip, it’s hard to see the use of him. Better square that away quickly.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
When you look at all the big iconic players who have captained this club in the last 40 years, we give the captaincy to someone who bottled the number seven shirt and gets the jitters any time an opposition player faces him up.

When you look at all the big iconic players who have captained this club in the last 40 years, we give the captaincy to someone who bottled the number seven shirt and gets the jitters any time an opposition player faces him up.
It’s not been made official, perhaps Jose’s comments mean he’s changed his mind.

Valencia as captain would be an absolutely terrible decision.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
It’s not been made official, perhaps Jose’s comments mean he’s changed his mind.

Valencia as captain would be an absolutely terrible decision.
No, he will be. Mourinho has been consistent in assigning it based on seniority.

Whilst I think you can fetishise the captain too much, I do think having the right talisman can add something. Pogba or Lukaku for me.

JMack1234

Brilliant.

We've got a captain who manager is slagging, can't speak English after 10 years here and is at best a quite good full back. Literally the only reason he's got it is because he's been here for yonks.

stevoc

How bad could his condition really be? How much weight can you gain in 2 months realistically, it couldn't be that much surely. Nothing he can't lose in a few weeks.

Plus aren't players supposed to not be in peak condition when they turn up for pre-season training. Isn't that the whole point of it, to get fit for the season after 2 months rest.

Tiber

Looks like Luke Shaw is outdoing him with effort and fitness. Maybe he should be captain instead
Lee Grant has handled the pressure of a shirt number and can even give an interview to MUTV. He has to be in the running next year

Dante

Average bang
Valencia's a big boy. I'm sure he's fine.

If he can't handle an open, honest and truthful comment (albeit a critical one), he shouldn't be at a club like Manchester United. All this obsession with molly coddling players is what got us here in the first place.

ti vu

How bad could his condition really be? How much weight can you gain in 2 months realistically, it couldn't be that much surely. Nothing he can't lose in a few weeks.

Plus aren't players supposed to not be in peak condition when they turn up for pre-season training. Isn't that the whole point of it, to get fit for the season after 2 months rest.
Perhaps fitness is more performance related, not just weight. There are tests to gauge how fit a player is. Valencia is in his 30s, even when he looks fit, if he doesn't keep his condition, his performance may drop and these test may detect.

Weight control not necessarily equate to fitness. Rooney tried to lose weight but he can stop and revert decline. Human body is like get it right and maintain it. Once its goes wrong there is no going back.

stevoc

Perhaps fitness is more performance related, not just weight. There are tests to gauge how fit a player is. Valencia is in his 30s, even when he looks fit, if he doesn't keep his condition, his performance may drop and these test may detect.

Weight control not necessarily equate to fitness. Rooney tried to lose weight but he can stop and revert decline. Human body is like get it right and maintain it. Once its goes wrong there is no going back.
Well if it's not weight and it's just lost fitness my same point applies, even more so actually. The off season is when players are supposed to rest, between the end of the season and pre-season. How out of condition can a player really get in 6-8 weeks. In my opinion you can't get that out of shape in such a short space of time, Mourinho is probably just being harsh on him to set an example as he's just made him club captain.

Crashoutcassius

Valencia's attitude has always been mentioned as flawless. Came back a bit overweight yeah okay, guarantee he will be in top condition as soon as he is back from injury (which probably wasn't caused by him by slightly overweight in the first place)

If Valencia has returned unfit, that's surprising. His Insta activity through the summer seemed to be mostly him working out. He seems to never stop.
He might have smashed the weights too much, and now cannot run.

In this day and age, players should be looking after themselves - he’s old enough to know what he should be doing so that he’s in top condition for the start of the season. If this is not the case, then it’s really disappointing from our soon too be captain.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He might have smashed the weights too much, and now cannot run.

In this day and age, players should be looking after themselves - he’s old enough to know what he should be doing so that he’s in top condition for the start of the season. If this is not the case, then it’s really disappointing from our soon too be captain.
Could be that. From the way Jose says "too much holiday" it sounds like he's over indulged, which is surprising.

Unless a holiday for Tony is lifting weights :lol:

ti vu

Well if it's not weight and it's just lost fitness my same point applies, even more so actually. The off season is when players are supposed to rest, between the end of the season and pre-season. How out of condition can a player really get in 6-8 weeks. In my opinion you can't get that out of shape in such a short space of time, Mourinho is probably just being harsh on him to set an example as he's just made him club captain.
You never know. Look Shaw was like couple week between England camp at WC 2014 and our pre season under LVG and LVG team spotted him out from the get go. Many factor can influence fitness. Some players drop off the cliff in just few months in performance and couldn't never return. We saw that.

stevoc

Well yeah after 6-8 weeks if they've relaxed a bit too much they won't be ready to play a match sure. But they will be ready for pre-season training, which is training designed to get them fit for the season after all.

As long as he hasn't gained a stone in weight or developed a serious drinking habit he should be fine.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Now would be the time for United and Pogba to reaffirm their commitment by making him the new captain.