Antonio Valencia... | Will wear #25 shirt from this point onwards by request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Sir Alex is generally a stranger to the truth concerning players injuries.

Cina

Never underestimate SAF's love of "give the ball to Scholes, diagonal ball to Valencia, hope for the best". We will see it a lot today.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Another mediocre perfomance from him.

I like him, but it buggers me to see that players like Nani or Welbeck get slagged for every missplaced pass, but Valencia gets away with so many average performances without anyone even noticing it. Except for that assist, did nothing special for whole game. Even that assist wasn't spectacular since he just kicked it through player's legs with full power(as that replay showed).

Our wingers aren't playing their best football this year, and we could have problem there.

Cold_Boy

Was alright today.

But yea compared to Nani,he gets off easily.

But then can't compare any player with Nani, many simply don't like Nani.

Platato

Psst!
Aye, bar the assist, I thought Tony was poor. It's weird how we've started the season and none of our wingers have hit top form. Good thing we've adopted various approaches and brought in Kagawa and RVP. Now we don't have to be so reliant on our wingers.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Would I be wrong to say that today was most likely his best performance so far this season? He hasn't set the season a light so far - I can't recall if he's been injured or not a few weeks ago.

His crosses has been a bit sluggish this season, but I thought he was pretty damn productive today (at times).

wr8_utd

:'(
Apart from the assist, he was really poor today. He started to take his man on a bit more in the second half but he still seems too hesitant and lacking in confidence to me. Nani looked far sharper when he came on. Nani in a front 3 with Rooney and RvP would be lethal.

VP

If he played for any other team we'd be calling him a hit and run merchant. He's way too one dimensional to play in our current set up.

Ash_G

Have to say he's looking a bit short on confidence for some reason. His pass for RVP was good but largely I thought he had a poor game. In the first half he really didn't look to take his man on enough and although he tried it more in the 2nd half it didn't really come off. One of his main problems atm is that if he can't fizz a ball across he rarely looks to put the ball in and just passes it back and it's hurting our momentum.

In terms of his link up it's good and bad. Cause he can't really drift across we lose that option in the attack but then by keeping his width he always offers that wide option which does help us out a lot. If he was playing a bit more confidently than he could have caused some big damage today as he got the ball in good areas.

Varun

Staff
If we're looking to play more through the middle and specially in the diamond, he doesnt really fit in.

Today was another average performance mind. Agree with Amar that he gets off easily.

Ash_G

I think he could fit in there, not as well as others but he needs to be more willing to carry the ball. Playing a bit more tucked in, on the right he could be a real powerhouse driving forward and could cause real problems but he's got to be more willing to take a chance.

Comsmit

Shouldn't have a hope of starting the Chelsea game on this form, although he has mugged off Cashley in the past. If we go 4-3-3 I would be looking at Rooney & Welbeck flanking Van Persie as the central striker. Midfield setup of Carrick, Anderson or Fletcher & Cleverley. Probably the most solid setup.

Valencia's problem is he simply isn't adding depth or dimension to his all-round game. He can't mix it up enough he simply just offers one element of threat for the entire 90 minutes. If you use your pace to get into promising positions your delivery can't be consistently off beat, if it is you are simply wasting possession for your team. He needs to work at his game he's not a luxury player.

Varun

Staff
I think he could fit in there, not as well as others but he needs to be more willing to carry the ball. Playing a bit more tucked in, on the right he could be a real powerhouse driving forward and could cause real problems but he's got to be more willing to take a chance.
The key here. He could do the same job for other teams. We have better players here. He's very 1 footed too which is another problem.

His style is just different really, doesnt suit the narrow system.

Sultan

Credit goes to their left sided players. Both Valencia and Rafael were kept quiet.

Ash_G

The key here. He could do the same job for other teams. We have better players here. He's very 1 footed too which is another problem.

His style is just different really, doesnt suit the narrow system.
Maybe, think it depends though, if he hits his form he can be a devastating player, as good as the diamond we weren't exactly creating loads so it's too early to say it's much better. Personally I would prefer to see Nani involved but I still think Valencia has a lot to offer in a more narrow system or a wider one, he's just going through a poor phase.

Varun

Staff
Maybe, think it depends though, if he hits his form he can be a devastating player, as good as the diamond we weren't exactly creating loads so it's too early to say it's much better. Personally I would prefer to see Nani involved but I still think Valencia has a lot to offer in a more narrow system or a wider one, he's just going through a poor phase.
I dont think we'l ever switch permanently to a narrow system as long as SAFs here, so he'l be fine. He's going through a rough phase, i agree, he'l improve definitely but i still cannot see him being better in a narrow system than the likes of Kagawa or Nani.

Sultan

Shouldn't have a hope of starting the Chelsea game on this form, although he has mugged off Cashley in the past. If we go 4-3-3 I would be looking at Rooney & Welbeck flanking Van Persie as the central striker. Midfield setup of Carrick, Anderson or Fletcher & Cleverley. Probably the most solid setup.

Valencia's problem is he simply isn't adding depth or dimension to his all-round game. He can't mix it up enough he simply just offers one element of threat for the entire 90 minutes. If you use your pace to get into promising positions your delivery can't be consistently off beat, if it is you are simply wasting possession for your team. He needs to work at his game he's not a luxury player.
He was United's player of the year last season, and his end of season form in the previous season tilted the Premiership crown in our favour. He also puts in a great shift helping out defensively.

He's been a great signing.

Cina

He was invisible for most of the first half, and had a few decent moments in the second half.

Hasn't been good enough so far this season.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Just watched all the goals from yesterday's game. I really like it when he fires in his crosses on the ground, they are much more dangerous than the floated ones.

Ash_G

Just watched all the goals from yesterday's game. I really like it when he fires in his crosses on the ground, they are much more dangerous than the floated ones.
They are but the problem atm is that when he can't get in to those positions he doesn't seem to want to try and whip a ball and just checks back and it slows our momentum, he also doesn't seem to confident taking people on atm.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Yeah his floating crossess haven't brought great success this season as of yet - his drills though are fantastic. He pulled the ball back perfectly one point yesterday but everyone in the box ran in to the 5 yard area (bar Welbeck, who pulled back near Valencia).

He's just in bad form. I say give him a start against Braga - if he doesn't set the game a light, then maybe he shouldn't start against Chelsea. Although, someone mentioned above that Valencia vs Cole is usually a one-sided affair.

In a few games he'll grow in confidence, and will definetly be the influential player he's been in previous seasons. Who knows - maybe he's just feeling the starting pressure of being the #7.

Sultan

Assisted RvP in his goal. Did a fantastic job protecting Rafael all game. People seem to think you're only having a good game if you're scoring, assisting and passing teams off the park. Closing down, defending, stopping other teams playing to their strength are also important elements of the game.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Don't quite understand some harsh views on his performance. He still hasn't found his last year's form, and he usually takes some time to hit the ground running, but I will happily take that 'poor' form from him. Assisted RvP, his dribbling was quite good and he was defensively sound.

That's why I rate him, even off-colour the standard of his performance is still more than acceptable.

EDIT: I also love the fact how most critics ignore he's just about came back from reasonably lengthy injury.

Ash_G

He's still providing which is good but I don't think it's unfair to say he hasn't performed particularly well so far this season, in a similar way to Nani. He's working hard which is great but personally I would like to see him do more in attack, at the moment he's playing it a bit too safe for me. Still an important player though and I think at least one of him or Nani should play against Chelsea as both have been good against them in the past and Chelsea are generally susceptible to good wing play.

Cina

Don't quite understand some harsh views on his performance. He still hasn't found his last year's form, and he usually takes some time to hit the ground running, but I will happily take that 'poor' form from him. Assisted RvP, his dribbling was quite good and he was defensively sound.

That's why I rate him, even off-colour the standard of his performance is still more than acceptable.

EDIT: I also love the fact how most critics ignore he's just about came back from reasonably lengthy injury.
Since when? He's renowned for his ability to somehow play brilliant almost instantly after returning from injuries.

He hasn't had a good start to the season, not sure how people can defend that really. Certain other plays would have been (and have been) very critically treated on here if they played like he has this season.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I thought he played well yesterday. Love it every time he plays, he is team oriented, works his socks off and always provides a real threat.

Great coming back from injury. The more games he can get under his belt, so we will see him quickly coming back to his best. And when he does, Rooney and Van Perise will feast on his wing play.

Status
Not open for further replies.