Antonio Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If Ronaldo moves up top
We may have to get in a quality winger in and around the ability as Ronaldo which Valencia definitely is not!
If SAF converts Ronaldo into a striker we shouldn't sign any winger unless we can find someone who is as good as Ronaldo.

That might take a while, eh?

At the end of the day, we need to build a squad with quality in all areas but we don't need a team full of eleven Ronaldos or Rooneys. If someone like Valencia is deemed good enough to play on the wing for us he need only be better than our current options in that position, not as good as the best player in the world.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Fact is Rooney has played a lot of games on the wing this season, I cant see Fergie using him there long term, based on that there's every chance we could be in the market for a winger.

Think myself and Pogue are signing from the same sheet on this, neither of us are saying 'run out and buy Valencia' but seeing rumours day in and day out I suspect there might be something to this one.

Eyepopper

How about the fact that they may have come to watch one of United's players?
Wouldn't they just go to OT for that? And why would Steve Bruce be talking about it? My guess is that Wigan would've been contacted by the clubs attending.

They firmly have Valencia in the shop window

reddev07

How about the fact that they may have come to watch one of United's players?
Valencia is strongly rumoured to be a player that they think they want but are not sure about yet.

They will only be coming to watch a player that they are not sure about

Ekeke

They'll be watching Valencia. They didnt have a clue who Faubert was and signed him up, they wont make the same mistake this time when replacing him.

twitter thread suggester
Fact is Rooney has played a lot of games on the wing this season, I cant see Fergie using him there long term, based on that there's every chance we could be in the market for a winger.
Based on how freaking awesome Rooney and the team as a whole has been with Rooney on the left, then I'd have no problem with seeing him play there for the rest of his career.
This 4-3-3 we've seen recently has made me giggle like a little school girl.

Lot 49

Doom
Think myself and Pogue are signing from the same sheet on this, neither of us are saying 'run out and buy Valencia' but seeing rumours day in and day out I suspect there might be something to this one.
But there are absolutely loads of players that United have been continually linked with and never signed. No smoke without fire frequently turns out to be smoke machines with regards to the press and who United are signing.

The people writing the stories who are linking us with Valencia now are probably the same muppets who said we were signing him in a double deal last summer with Palacios. We never bid for either of them as far as I know and since then we've signed two more players who can play out wide in Tosic and Ljajic.

Ekeke

If there's no smoke without fire, we'll surely also finally get our hands on Willy Sagnol this summer bringing him out of retirement.

Ekeke

If SAF wants him he WILL end up at United.
You'd think so. Same as if he wanted Crouch he'd probably end up at United. Its really just a guess though isnt it as they are players based in England already and we've not heard that they are unsettled here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
If there's no smoke without fire, we'll surely also finally get our hands on Willy Sagnol this summer bringing him out of retirement.
And Gatusso too, eh?

It's a fair point that we're linked with loads of players who never end up at United but it's also true that lots of players who do end up at United are linked with us for months beforehand. It was an open secret we were signing Berbatov throughout last season, if not before.

The papers would have us believe that either Ribery or Valencia will join us in the summer. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of them does.

M160RA

And who's to say we were never interested in Sagnol or Gattuso. Some rumours are just plain bollocks or lucky guesses, but sometimes there is a grain of truth in them. We were also linked to Nani a few months before we actually signed him, IIRC.

Ekeke

And Gatusso too, eh?

It's a fair point that we're linked with loads of players who never end up at United but it's also true that lots of players who do end up at United are linked with us for months beforehand. It was an open secret we were signing Berbatov throughout last season, if not before.

The papers would have us believe that either Ribery or Valencia will join us in the summer. I wouldn't be surprised at all if one of them does.
Fair enough. I would be surprised if we signed a winger without selling a winger first. And I'd be surprised if we sold one of the wingers in the first place.

VoetbalWizard

would take him for around 10 million. mind you, would make a lot more sense if we didn't have tosic. still befuddled about that one.

however, wouldn't want any funds being taken away from the benzema account. :D

we really need a kermit/muppet smiley.

Eyepopper

Thought he did pretty well tonight. Andy Gray commented that the next time he plays on TV he could be wearing a Utd shirt.

I'm telling you, there's something behind this one.

redmania

I do get the funny gut feeling for this one among the dozens of tranfers rumours already floating around...

Espcially as nani been poor and giggs is getting on, ronaldo is being played as a striker so the likes of park, fletcher, hargeaves are our option on the right wing. That;s not too bad really.

Donut

It's not just his pace and skills. He seems to have genuine football brain, he usually makes the right decision.

Wouldn't mind him at all, but we're quite loaded, especially if Tosic does make the step up.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
What was amazing about it though?

It was just pure pace really. He gave a good account of himself tonight but I think we can squeeze better out of Nani.
It wasn't pace at all, I'm not referring to the run where he left Vidic for dead, I'm refering to the one at the end of the half, when they should have went 2-0

Ekeke

It wasn't pace at all, I'm not referring to the run where he left Vidic for dead, I'm refering to the one at the end of the half, when they should have went 2-0
So the part where he passed the ball, then accelerated past a midfielder who didnt track him, picked the ball up and passed it again?

Thats even less of an amazing run. Good play though.

M160RA

I thought he was decent - would make a decent addition to our squad if the price is right, although I agree that we should be giving Nani a bit more of a chance to prove himself.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
So the part where he passed the ball, then accelerated past a midfielder who didnt track him, picked the ball up and passed it again?

Thats even less of an amazing run. Good play though.
how can you call that not amazing? If our player had done it, there would be 5 threads in the United forum with everyone jizzing over it. His passing, timing, vision, in that move were superb. If that striker had enough brain to pass it left, it would have been an amazing goal, one of the goals of the season.

I'm struggling to remember when Nani led that kind of superb build up play from midfield.

To me, it seems he would link up perfectly with our current players and our style of play, especially on counter attacks.

anything about now

MUFC lad living in a matriel world
He is a dangerous little fecker aint he? Reminded me a bit of Ashley Young but more direct, actually Wigan's style resembled alot of Villa, defending deep and hitting the counter. I was more impressed by his decision making than his pace and skill, he is everything Nani should be. (not saying Nani won't make it, but that's the kind of footballing brain that sets apart the young talents from the really good players)

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
To be honest - i saw little last night that indicated to me he is a 20million winger who we should be after. He is ok, nothing special.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
He has got pace and will only get better playing alongside better players. £20mil? Maybe, given how crazy the transfer market is. Realistically he is worth at least £12mil

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
He is a dangerous little fecker aint he? Reminded me a bit of Ashley Young but more direct, actually Wigan's style resembled alot of Villa, defending deep and hitting the counter. I was more impressed by his decision making than his pace and skill, he is everything Nani should be. (not saying Nani won't make it, but that's the kind of footballing brain that sets apart the young talents from the really good players)
I agree with you there.

Nani has more skill but Valancia is quicker and stronger.

Ekeke

how can you call that not amazing? If our player had done it, there would be 5 threads in the United forum with everyone jizzing over it. His passing, timing, vision, in that move were superb. If that striker had enough brain to pass it left, it would have been an amazing goal, one of the goals of the season.

I'm struggling to remember when Nani led that kind of superb build up play from midfield.

To me, it seems he would link up perfectly with our current players and our style of play, especially on counter attacks.
It was good play but it wasnt a run :confused: It was just good link up play and good pace getting away from his man. He didnt go past anyone with the ball.

Eyepopper

Manchester United look set to pip Liverpool and Real Madrid to the signature of Wigan winger Antonio Valencia, which may push Portuguese international Nani closer to the Old Trafford exit door.

The Sun newspaper reports the Ecuadorian will almost certainly leave the JJB this summer, and may fetch as much as £20 million.

Bayern Munich are also monitoring the player, however rumours suggest the 23 year old favours a move to Old Trafford.

Should Valencia join United, former Sporting Lisbon starlet Nani is expected to make way for the Wigan star.

Nani has struggled to hold down a regular starting birth with the premier league champions following a promising debut season, and Alex Ferguson is concerned by his slow progress in England. To supplement the deal to bring Valencia to Old Trafford, Ferguson will listen to offers for Nani. The player is expected to have plenty of suitors despite his sporadic form, with Tottenham, Newcastle, Aston Villa and Inter Milan all keen on the 22 year old.

Steve Bruce is resigned to losing his star asset and recently suggested his club do not have the resources to keep their best players.
Nothing really new, and pure speculation as far as Nani is concerned I'd imagine, but meh

Status
Not open for further replies.