Antonio Valencia

Status
Not open for further replies.

032Devil

LOOSE LIPS HINT VALENCIA IS OT BOUND
Sunday May 17,2009

AN interesting exchange in the directors box between Wigan chairman Dave Whelan and Manchester United’s chief executive David Gill appears to have confirmed where highly-fancied winger Antonio Valencia will be playing next season.

Whelan loudly queried the award of a corner to United at the JJB Stadium on Wednesday night, which led to some ribbing from Gill.

As the Wigan owner refused to back down over his claims, Gill was heard suggesting that maybe, if he felt so badly about United, Whelan would be better off refusing the big cheque coming his way in the summer – almost certainly £15million for the services of Ecuador flier Valencia.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/101636/Loose-lips-hint-Valencia-is-OT-bound

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I know we always say this, but hopefully more strength in depth on the wings will allow Rooney to play off the front more.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Sunday May 17,2009

AN interesting exchange in the directors box between Wigan chairman Dave Whelan and Manchester United’s chief executive David Gill appears to have confirmed where highly-fancied winger Antonio Valencia will be playing next season.

Whelan loudly queried the award of a corner to United at the JJB Stadium on Wednesday night, which led to some ribbing from Gill.

As the Wigan owner refused to back down over his claims, Gill was heard suggesting that maybe, if he felt so badly about United, Whelan would be better off refusing the big cheque coming his way in the summer – almost certainly £15million for the services of Ecuador flier Valencia.

That story is about as likely as Rafa just being big boned.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
He sounds like our "type" of signing. We don't need big names, so somebody very good but not a big name will probably come in for cheap. SAF has learned the lessons of 99 and not strengthening.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I know we always say this, but hopefully more strength in depth on the wings will allow Rooney to play off the front more.
Honestly, I'm happy with Rooney on the left wing now. He's been magnificent there, and I'm not totally convinced any more that its a necessity to play him as a second striker to get the best from him. More and more of the best players in the world have been playing nominally from the wing - Zidane and Ronaldinho both played from left wing at Real and Barca and they weren't orthodox wingers by any stretch. Messi and Ronaldo obviously both start on the wing more often than not and more than make their mark.

REd FUn DevIl

I dont think he is what we need. I rather stay as we are.

TBH we have a marvellous squad and there are still players that havent played too much like Nani and Tosic. I think Nani is way much better than Valencia and will get more chances next season.

Ekeke

Sunday May 17,2009

Yes, im sure this is what happened :lol:

Heard Gill respond very respectfully and professionally when told of the apparent Tevez claims that the club have lacked "respect" towards him. So its completely in his character to lose his head over a corner and shout at the Wigan owner, about private business. :rolleyes:

Cheltenham Red

Never argue with an idiot,they will bring you down

Heard Gill respond very respectfully and professionally when told of the apparent Tevez claims that the club have lacked "respect" towards him. So its completely in his character to lose his head over a corner and shout at the Wigan owner, about private business. :rolleyes:
Gill is a class act and i am so glad that cnut Kenyon did one,to be honest he is where he belongs.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name

reread that

Ekeke

reread that
No, you. Twice.

Wigan and Real Madrid agree fee for Valencia

Antonio Valencia could be headed for Real Madrid, unless Manchester United match their bid.

According to The Daily Mail, Wigan have agreed a €24 million deal with Los Merengues, who were keen to sign Valencia in January.

The deal may well hinge on the future of Cristiano Ronaldo, who, of course, remains a key target for Real Madrid. Should they land their man, Valencia would be likely to move to Old Trafford as his replacement. However, should Ronaldo stay in Manchester, Real Madrid will finalize the Valencia deal.

Aston Villa and Tottenham are also interested in the Ecuadorian winger, but are unlikely to have a chance with two of the world's biggest clubs fighting it out for his signature.
A-bubye. Will be a bit of an improvement on the last two wingers Spanish clubs signed from English clubs, Faubert and Hleb. But we're not missing out on much truth be told.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter

You should seriously consider rereading that

Canuckred64

According to the Daily Mail., Real Madrid have offered 21.5 million pounds for Valencia and United have to match it if we want him.

Valencia is a decent player, and if he comes there is the possibility that Ronaldo could be moved up front as a striker, making Tevez surplus to requirements, but 21.5 million is way to much money.

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
America's Red Cafe Spokesman (behind enemy lines)
If true it shows that the weak pound will definitely have an effect on our transfer business this summer. On today's exchange rate Madrid will have to spend 24m Euros in order to offer Wigan £21.5m. 18 months ago 24m Euros would have only converted into £16m and as such we'd have been able to at the very least match them I would have thought. Now ok Madrid could have increased their offer but it would have been a far less attractive purchase for them if for example they had to pay 32m Euros in order to offer Wigan £21.5m back then.

Joga_Bonito

He’ll play upon, Your naturalistic intuitions…
Valencia is a terrific player — he's quick, technically gifted, full of running, and he has a fairly complete range of skills, allied to the obvious physical attributes. Ecuador has produced a number of interesting players in recent years. They have many of the technical attributes that we associate with South America, but they also have tremendous physical prowess and athleticism.

It's an interesting mix, and the national team could well become a major player in the future, if they can find the ruthlessness in front of goal, which is something that the current squad has thus far lacked, despite dominating Brazil and Argentina on a couple of occasions.

But having said all of that, it's yet to be seen if Valencia is top four material, and I would not be particularly comfortable with spending more than £10m on him.

He is potentially more accomplished than Park, in my opinion, and he could fulfill a similar role. He's unlikely to ever be considered in the top bracket of players in his position, but he could certainly fulfill a number of tactical roles, while at the same time providing good quality in the final third.

If the stories about Real Madrid are true — and particularly the transfer fee that has been mentioned — that should be the end of our involvement. But it may well come down to where Valencia wants to play his football, which would somewhat negate Wigan's desire to command the maximum transfer fee.

It's the kind of transfer rumour that neither disappoints or excites, and that's really the problem. If he did end up at Old Trafford, and particularly if the price is more realistic, I have no doubt that we would look back in a couple of years time and reflect on what a good purchase it has been, but it's not going to get the juices flowing, that's for sure.

And the thing is, if he does end up signing for Real Madrid, we all know that there are plenty of players of a similar ability and standing that we could turn our attention to. And that's why £20m would be quite ridiculous, in my opinion.

Ace

Good post. I like what I've seen from you in the past couple of days Joga.

Some intelligent words amongst infinite droll.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
The wandering eyes should give you an indication. You should totally completely seriously consider rereading it. And then look at the face next to it.
I think you missed the point. Seriously, reread the article, then read your totally irrelevant point which you posted in response to the same, and are now defending with that attitude.

Nistelrooy10

Tin Foil Hatter
Valencia is a terrific player — he's quick, technically gifted, full of running, and he has a fairly complete range of skills, allied to the obvious physical attributes. Ecuador has produced a number of interesting players in recent years. They have many of the technical attributes that we associate with South America, but they also have tremendous physical prowess and athleticism.

It's an interesting mix, and the national team could well become a major player in the future, if they can find the ruthlessness in front of goal, which is something that the current squad has thus far lacked, despite dominating Brazil and Argentina on a couple of occasions.

But having said all of that, it's yet to be seen if Valencia is top four material, and I would not be particularly comfortable with spending more than £10m on him.

He is potentially more accomplished than Park, in my opinion, and he could fulfill a similar role. He's unlikely to ever be considered in the top bracket of players in his position, but he could certainly fulfill a number of tactical roles, while at the same time providing good quality in the final third.

If the stories about Real Madrid are true — and particularly the transfer fee that has been mentioned — that should be the end of our involvement. But it may well come down to where Valencia wants to play his football, which would somewhat negate Wigan's desire to command the maximum transfer fee.

It's the kind of transfer rumour that neither disappoints or excites, and that's really the problem. If he did end up at Old Trafford, and particularly if the price is more realistic, I have no doubt that we would look back in a couple of years time and reflect on what a good purchase it has been, but it's not going to get the juices flowing, that's for sure.

And the thing is, if he does end up signing for Real Madrid, we all know that there are plenty of players of a similar ability and standing that we could turn our attention to. And that's why £20m would be quite ridiculous, in my opinion.
Real Madrid always sniff at our targets, like they don't have their own scouts. I'll be glad if they pay over the odds for him.

Alex

I completely agree with this, there is no doubt Rooney is quality on the left wing but I would rather see him up front. The same can be said about Ronaldo he is an excellent winger, but I would rather see him in an attacking free mf role, becasue he is more of a goal threat that way.

Interesting though, what this means for Nani. I hope he gets more a shot next year because the talent is there, he just couldnt ever seem to get a game this year, and that really hurt his confidence.

Ekeke

I think you missed the point. Seriously, reread the article, then read your totally irrelevant point which you posted in response to the same, and are now defending with that attitude.
I'm sorry. I'm not defending anything. If you dont get it, you dont get it.

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
I completely agree with this, there is no doubt Rooney is quality on the left wing but I would rather see him up front. The same can be said about Ronaldo he is an excellent winger, but I would rather see him in an attacking free mf role, becasue he is more of a goal threat that way.

Interesting though, what this means for Nani. I hope he gets more a shot next year because the talent is there, he just couldnt ever seem to get a game this year, and that really hurt his confidence.
He's hasn't got regular football this season because when he has played he hasn't been good enough. He'll need to make much more of the chances he's given next season in order to have a future at the club. Like you say, the talent is there but is the application?

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
Is Valencia any good at tracking back? Tackling? Disrupting opposition's possession game?
Yeah, I'd say so based on what I've seen of him.

The two players we could realistically sign who have impressed me the most this season when I've been to Old Trafford are Valencia and Porto's ''Hulk''.

Valencia absolutely ripped O'Shea to pieces in the league game at Old Trafford.

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
If Valencia has a young family and they're settled in the area then you'd think it would be hugely attractive for him to move to one of, if not the best club in Europe without even having to do as much as move house. If the player puts enough pressure on Wigan to accept our offer (and only our offer) then we could well beat Madrid to his signature without having to pay £20m+. The fee would still be around £16m-18m though I would have thought, which isn't exactly cheap but it's more reasonable than what Madrid have apparently offered.

Treble

Looks good. How many minutes has he played this season compared to our three players on that list?
500-600 min more than those three players but percentage wise he wins much more tackles per game, he seems to be a beast physically wise

relx

Frnkie Sys
I think he intercepts quite a lot of passes too for a winger. Can't find the stats though

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
500-600 min more than those three players but percentage wise he wins much more tackles per game, he seems to be a beast physically wise
Yup, he's got good pace and a good engine on him. I've nearly always been pretty impressed when I've seen him play and I like the fact that he's given his all for Wigan and not been distracted by other clubs' interest in him. His finishing isn't that great though and I think his technique isn't quite there at the moment. I suppose if those characteristics of his game were brilliant then he'd be worth far more than £20m and wouldn't still be at Wigan by now.

If we can afford to sign him and a striker then I'd be all for getting him in but I wouldn't be overly satisfied with the idea of moving Ronaldo up front to replace Tevez and just adding Valencia to the squad.

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
I'm sorry. I'm not defending anything. If you dont get it, you dont get it.
what appears to have happened, is you have read an article relating to Gill ribbing Whelan in what seems to everyone else, a good natured way. You have then said that article is crap (which it probably is) on the basis that Gill would never blow and and be so disrespectful, threatening a possible transfer, over a corner kick - which is not what anyone else was thinking in the first place. You have than, seemingly, continued with this 'logic' while everyone else wonders what the hell you were talking about. Also, the smilie used indicates, to me at least, that you are saying "Yeah, Gill would never act like that morons" as opposed to "I'm only joking with what I have just posted".

Lot 49

Doom
His agent has confirmed that Madrid have bid for him. Hopefully they sign him and we can have a summer without stories about them moving for Ronaldo.

Skelter

Internet GYPO
I think that's that to be honest, can't see us wanting to compete with Madrid on this guy.

Giggsy PO

Wimbledon Prediction Champion 09
He is going to share bench with Drenthe or stands with Flaubert. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.