2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Donut

He’ll be here until ETH is here, and when the new manager comes he’ll bin him immediately. Or if ETH is successful he’ll become a backup player. He just doesn’t have the neccessary quality if we want to compete.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He seems to me to be trying too hard and is consequently overthinking. I would like to see him relax more and do what comes naturally.

ElDiabloRojo

Patience is over for Antony it seems.

Looking like a terrible signing in every way, the manager should be grilled about the values he was expecting from Antony.

Playing for Ajax is Antony's maximum level.

The Hilton

With his pressing and off the ball work and selfishness we should stick him up front, can't be worse than Rashford :lol:
This is a key point that's overlooked by far too many on here - he's the only one of our forwards who's contributing anywhere near enough off the ball. Both Rashford and Garnacho have been equally poor on the ball, while being liabilities off of it.

Gordon Godot

This is a key point that's overlooked by far too many on here - he's the only one of our forwards who's contributing anywhere near enough off the ball. Both Rashford and Garnacho have been equally poor on the ball, while being liabilities off of it.
£70m for a player who presses a bit. He's simply not good enough, he lacks any single attribute that suggests he can be top level. Not super fast, struggles to beat players, one footed and one dimensional, crossing even on left foot bang average.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ten Hag has zero excuse to not give Pellistri and, when he comes back, Amad enough chances to cement that RW spot. If he keeps playing Antony then you know he has lost the plot.
Problem is (with all managers) that they will defend their decision on big money signings by playing them at all cost.

The Hilton

£70m for a player who presses a bit. He's simply not good enough, he lacks any single attribute that suggests he can be top level. Not super fast, struggles to beat players, one footed and one dimensional, crossing even on left foot bang average.
You seem to be arguing with an entirely different post to mine - his fee is irrelevant, and so far this season he's contributed more than the other forwards (I'd class it as least-worst rather than best, given that he hasn't been great either).

It's possible that he could be an important cog in a well oiled machine if we manage to implement EtH's desired system to a good enough degree, but that remains to be seen and he might not, and equally we might not be able to make that system work (as it requires our other forwards to sacrifice for the team in a way they seem unable or unwilling to at the moment).

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Pellistri is not the answer, right now he's not strong enough or fast enough to make an impact on the right wing. I'd play Sancho or even Rashford there. Antony just needs dropping to the bench.

Chairman Steve

He seems like a system player where he’ll look much better if everything else around is set to a specific way and works well.

I wonder whether the uncertainty over the RB position plays a part in him not being as effective. It’s hard to get going when the guy behind you changes every 2-3 matches like it does with us. I will say he looked better when Dalot was behind him.

And whether the inclusion of a real striker in Hojlund helps. We all know Rashford is square peg in a round hole as a striker. I can see Hojlund dropping off to go near to him to provide link up play.

BerryBerryShrew

Problem is (with all managers) that they will defend their decision on big money signings by playing them at all cost.
In fairness to Guardiola, he never had any problems ditching his big name signings. Ibra being the most notable example, but also some of the many 50m centre backs he had at City over the years. Mangala springs to mind.

Dearg hÉireann

I've just listened to Samuel Luckhurst on Manchester is Red podcast chatting about how underwhelming Antony has been since he signed and how he was a poor choice RW signing especially for the inflated price. Basically suggested that ETH has been given too much say in signings and that the scouts aren't being listened to regards player signings.

To be fair It does seem to be a continuation of United managers picking players that they know and trust instead of the club trusting the scouting department and getting the manager to do what he's paid and coach said signings.

In fairness to Antony, he has done more in 1 year than Sancho has done in 2 but Christ that's setting the bar extremely low.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
In fairness to Guardiola, he never had any problems ditching his big name signings. Ibra being the most notable example, but also some of the many 50m centre backs he had at City over the years. Mangala springs to mind.
That's considerably easier to do with unlimited funds though. 100mil or whatever it was on Antony leaves a massive dent in our budget

FujiVice

When Ten Hag loses his job because the players hang him out to dry (which is what always happens), its inevitably his mates like Antony who will be responsible. Absolute joke of a player

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I've just listened to Samuel Luckhurst on Manchester is Red podcast chatting about how underwhelming Antony has been since he signed and how he was a poor choice RW signing especially for the inflated price. Basically suggested that ETH has been given too much say in signings and that the scouts aren't being listened to regards player signings.

To be fair It does seem to be a continuation of United managers picking players that they know and trust instead of the club trusting the scouting department and getting the manager to do what he's paid and coach said signings.

In fairness to Antony, he has done more in 1 year than Sancho has done in 2 but Christ that's setting the bar extremely low.
Interesting conclusion after he produced less G+A in more time than Sancho last season. In fact Sancho productivity has been 50% higher than Antony's.

Unless you think his defensive effort makes up for lack of goals and assist (what wouldn't be an unpopular opinion I guess), Sancho is a far better attacker than Antony.

BerryBerryShrew

That's considerably easier to do with unlimited funds though. 100mil or whatever it was on Antony leaves a massive dent in our budget
When Pep dropped Ibra (who was a genuinely top class player) he brought in Pedro from the youth team to replace him. EtH should have no problem dropping Antony (who is a terrible player) for someone like Amad/Pellestri or even Sancho, who hasn't set the world alight but is still a better player than Anto. Maybe moving Mount over to the right and bringing in Hannibal to midfield.

There's no justification to persisting with Antony. Unlike Sancho, he has no track record to fall back on. Cut our losses and move on. If we get 25m for him, that's the Amrabat money right there.

Skills

Snitch
When Pep dropped Ibra (who was a genuinely top class player) he brought in Pedro from the youth team to replace him. EtH should have no problem dropping Antony (who is a terrible player) for someone like Amad/Pellestri or even Sancho, who hasn't set the world alight but is still a better player than Anto. Maybe moving Mount over to the right and bringing in Hannibal to midfield.

There's no justification to persisting with Antony. Unlike Sancho, he has no track record to fall back on. Cut our losses and move on. If we get 25m for him, that's the Amrabat money right there.
It's not how it works. We sell him for £25m, we're -£41m on his book value this season. That's £41m wiped off our FFP budget this summer.

mav_9me

It's not how it works. We sell him for £25m, we're -£41m on his book value this season. That's £41m wiped off our FFP budget this summer.
I don't think that's right. Say his transfer fee was 84m£. Say his wages are 200/week on a 5 yr contract = 50m outlay on wages. So total outlay of 134m£, which amortized over 5 yrs = 27m£/yr. So that's -27m£ for FFP calculations every year for 5 yrs.

Open to correction.

Paddymcc

Im hoping he will be better when theres a proper centre forward stretching defences for him, maybe someone he can play the ball off, instead of just twatting it in the general direction of the net every time he cuts in. Theres a serious lack of cohesion and movement in the final third not helped by playing people out of position.

To be fair to him he gets through a serious amount of work covering back.

Skills

Snitch
I don't think that's right. Say his transfer fee was 84m£. Say his wages are 200/week on a 5 yr contract = 50m outlay on wages. So total outlay of 134m£, which amortized over 5 yrs = 27m£/yr. So that's -27m£ for FFP calculations every year for 5 yrs.

Open to correction.
You're right, I thought we had signed him on a 6 year deal. But it's actually 5+1.

So it's £84m over 5 years which leaves £67.2m of his fee on the book. I'm assuming if we don't have to sell him, we won't have to compensate him (that's a stretch cause i can't see many other clubs willing to pay him £200k a year).

So anything less than £67.2m means we have to write that loss in this current financial year. It does free us up for the circa £27m a year for the next 4 years though, but it screws us in the current year and we have no room as it is.

Dearg hÉireann

Interesting conclusion after he produced less G+A in more time than Sancho last season. In fact Sancho productivity has been 50% higher than Antony's.

Unless you think his defensive effort makes up for lack of goals and assist (what wouldn't be an unpopular opinion I guess), Sancho is a far better attacker than Antony.
I'll be honest mate, I'm old school and by that I mean I'm not hugely into judging players by stats alone. I'm sure what you say is correct about Sancho's output but I just find him completely underwhelming and his lack of workrate really grates on me. I think they have both been extremely poor signings thus far but at least Antony seems to have a little something about him (workrate wise).

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I reckon Antony scores this weekend and buys another 2 weeks.

He had a habit last season of popping up with a goal when all the noise was on his performances.

crossy1686

career ending
Ten Hag has to get ahold of him on the training pitch because if he doesn't, he will get him sacked. His predictability and lack of end product costs us every game.

Gordon Godot

Lots of journos are now saying this. I got shouted down when I flagged it. 7 out of 9 signings from ETH either played for him at Ajax (3) or played against him in Dutch league (4). He is being given too much freedom. One poster said leaked scouting emails on Reddit showed scouts were against his signing. The club never learns

Bristol_Red_87

I wonder whether the uncertainty over the RB position plays a part in him not being as effective. It’s hard to get going when the guy behind you changes every 2-3 matches like it does with us. I will say he looked better when Dalot was behind him.
Agreed. We need a full back that can be effective either on the outside or inside of Antony. He doesn't need to beat a man to be an effective player, but he does need the movement off the ball around him to create space to make him an effective player.

Seems there's a lot of work being done in terms of our approach off the ball (to engage the press for example) but not enough being done on creating passing lanes when / if we win the ball back.

I can see Hojlund dropping off to go near to him to provide link up play.
As per the above. We're desperately missing someone who can link the play and draw the CB's out of position to allow space in behind for the likes of Antony to exploit.

mav_9me

You're right, I thought we had signed him on a 6 year deal. But it's actually 5+1.

So it's £84m over 5 years which leaves £67.2m of his fee on the book. I'm assuming if we don't have to sell him, we won't have to compensate him (that's a stretch cause i can't see many other clubs willing to pay him £200k a year).

So anything less than £67.2m means we have to write that loss in this current financial year. It does free us up for the circa £27m a year for the next 4 years though, but it screws us in the current year and we have no room as it is.
My understanding is thats not how it works. There will be an annual -27m for next 4 years. If we say sold him for 60m£ today, for this year's FFP we would be + 33m.

Name Changed

weso26
This was ETH's big signing. He will be here as long as the manager is. Personally, I think it was a massive mistake that will come back to bite ETH in the end. Hopefully I am wrong.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
My understanding is thats not how it works. There will be an annual -27m for next 4 years. If we say sold him for 60m£ today, for this year's FFP we would be + 33m.

You would only amortize the expected fee which is £80.75m over 5 years which means each year we write off £16.15m off his value, so currently after 1 year his carrying value is £64.6m meaning if we sold him at that we would break even effectively in terms of FFP

Banana Republic

ETH will keep selecting him, even with consistently average or below average performances.
Sure, Antony will have the odd good game, maybe score a couple of goals, could even get better overall, but I can’t see the potential for any significant improvement.
His ceiling looks far too low.
You won’t find anyone outside the Utd fan base saying he’s anything but a dud purchase.

Skills

Snitch
I don't think you can keep amortizing the fee for an asset that you no-longer hold. At the point of disposal you have to settle the remaining balance.

An accountant should be able to confirm this, but that makes sense to me.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'll be honest mate, I'm old school and by that I mean I'm not hugely into judging players by stats alone. I'm sure what you say is correct about Sancho's output but I just find him completely underwhelming and his lack of workrate really grates on me. I think they have both been extremely poor signings thus far but at least Antony seems to have a little something about him (workrate wise).
You're allowed to base your opinion based on work rate, hair color, or whatever else mate. I just challenged this opinion because I've seen this mentioned a few times, but the fact is piss poor Sancho who spent a few months out of the team still managed to get much better goal contribution to minutes player ratio.

Antony work rate is non questionable, he is 30m player because of his defensive contribution alone. The problem is he's 30m player in total. I'm being a bit sarcastic here to highlight a point.

philippexyz

Poor recruitment is going to be the undoing of ETH at Man United. That is partially his fault, but probably mostly not - poor scouting/footballing structure and director of football are mostly to blame.

Signing of Antony for such an inflated, ridiculous fee is the main symbol of that. How on Earth did ETH think that Antony is good enough for the Premier league after working with him and knowing him well - it blows my mind. That is where he ultimately disappointed me and I can see him getting sacked in the span of 2 more years.

Matt851

Just compare him to what rival teams have there - Foden, Saka, Salah. Even Almiron and March. What's there more to say? Even on a good day he isn't even half the player some of these are, yet we are going to compete with them? Please...
Bet they can't hold the width or progress the ball as well as Antony though