g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
 Antony image 21

Antony Brazil flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

USREDEVIL

I aint changing my opinion after 1 good game against fecking Burnley burn leah
But tbf he's been ok recently. I still cannot get over the lack of crossing from this guy though.

Last edited:

Frank Grimes

Anyone else feel some of our fans treatment of him has been over the top? Obviously he has been a disappointment so far but some fans are actively wanting him to be bad and criticise him even when he has played decent.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Anyone else feel some of our fans treatment of him has been over the top? Obviously he has been a disappointment so far but some fans are actively wanting him to be bad and criticise him even when he has played decent.
He's not as good as we expected to say the least, but as always our fans or football fans in general have gone over the top

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Definitely. He’s having a poor season (I guess, in part, due to all the off-field drama) but has been one of our better players over the last few weeks. Which a lot of people refuse to acknowledge.

Frank Grimes

Definitely. He’s having a poor season (I guess, in part, due to all the off-field drama) but has been one of our better players over the last few weeks. Which a lot of people refuse to acknowledge.
I noticed the same pattern with Dalot earlier in the season where he'd have a bad game and people said he was completely useless when he'd showed in other games just weeks previously that he was far from that. Is this a new thing, are fans less loyal now?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I noticed the same pattern with Dalot earlier in the season where he'd have a bad game and people said he was completely useless when he'd showed in other games just weeks previously that he was far from that. Is this a new thing, are fans less loyal now?
We’re having a shite season and everyone is sick to death of the useless twats who line out for us every week. So I can understand why there’s so much negativity around. And it makes sense that a lot of that negativity is aimed at a player who costs a fortune and hasn’t (yet) looked nearly worth that sort of money. Even if he is playing quite well recently.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't think he's playing significantly worse than last season. His deficiencies were always clear to see, just hidden deep behind Rashford golden form and the team on a new manager bounce for a few months.
He is the kind of player that delivers same level of performances all the time, his level simply isn't good enough and he hit the ceiling already.

justsomebloke

I suspect we're going to be stuck with him for at least another season. Of all the players we're likely to want to unload, his is by far the worst situation in FFP terms and it's very hard to see any plausible way we could manage to sell him that wouldn't result in a pretty significant FFP hit.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I don't think he's playing significantly worse than last season. His deficiencies were always clear to see, just hidden deep behind Rashford golden form and the team on a new manager bounce for a few months.
He is the kind of player that delivers same level of performances all the time, his level simply isn't good enough and he hit the ceiling already.
Exactly this. I hate watching him play because you know the very best you'll get from him already, and it's essentially pointless as he's never going to be good enough at this level so it's frustrating having to watch him over another young player in Amad that I'd like to see be given an actual real run of games.

Monks_United

He isn’t good enough. His shooting is pretty meh. Crossing is non existent. Cannot beat his man on a dribble most of the times. His only real attribute is that he works hard. Which is fine but not nearly good enough. We should try and loan him to a weaker league where he may do reasonably well and get some suitors who take him off our books. He will never be good enough for a top half premier league team let alone us trying to get anywhere near the top.

Wilt

27 prem appearances 1 goal

£85.6m …unbelievable, can’t think of worse PL signing.

The off field stuff clearly unsettled him deeply, but credit where it’s due, he’s fought his way back into the side on merit and puts a hell of a shift in too. Hopefully he can continue his good form throughout the remainder of the season.

mu4c_20le

He isn’t good enough. His shooting is pretty meh. Crossing is non existent. Cannot beat his man on a dribble most of the times. His only real attribute is that he works hard. Which is fine but not nearly good enough. We should try and loan him to a weaker league where he may do reasonably well and get some suitors who take him off our books. He will never be good enough for a top half premier league team let alone us trying to get anywhere near the top.
I don't think he even gets in Everton team. McNeill is better, works just as hard, can actually cross, and also scores the occasional banger. Hopefully a loan to buy to an Italian club where he can shine, but realistically? Stays for another year or two before a move to Turkey or Saudi.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Exactly this. I hate watching him play because you know the very best you'll get from him already, and it's essentially pointless as he's never going to be good enough at this level so it's frustrating having to watch him over another young player in Amad that I'd like to see be given an actual real run of games.
Fans overestimate the "room for improvement" of young players. If your technique is poor at the age of 20 (like you have only one leg to kick a ball with) then it's going to be your problem for the rest of your football career. Same with crossing, passing, shooting.
What does get better is decision making and spatial awareness. But the reason why Antony doesn't make that pass that is obvious to everyone is not that he doesn't see it, it's because he knows he can't do it. He knows his limitations very well.

I that sense I do worry about Hojlund. Yes he's young, but he doesn't look like he has that much potential. Hope I'm wrong here.

Sylar

And that really should be bare minimum which you can get from Youngsters who don't cost as much.
I think Antony's peak was his first three games but we saw the limit there where he's so predictable in what he wants to do.

I'd love if he scored a fa cup winner or something but, I think that would be a great time to move him on if possible. He's had two years under a manager who favours him, and I just don't see him as a United player at all

Valencia Shin Crosses

Fans overestimate the "room for improvement" of young players. If your technique is poor at the age of 20 (like you have only one leg to kick a ball with) then it's going to be your problem for the rest of your football career. Same with crossing, passing, shooting.
What does get better is decision making and spatial awareness. But the reason why Antony doesn't make that pass that is obvious to everyone is not that he doesn't see it, it's because he knows he can't do it. He knows his limitations very well.

I that sense I do worry about Hojlund. Yes he's young, but he doesn't look like he has that much potential. Hope I'm wrong here.
Agree with the bolded. Completely disagree on Hojlund though if I'm honest. I think his ability to carry the ball at pace is super rare for a striker of his style, and his physical attributes and finishing technique are quality. As a team with how we play it's basically the worst setup for a young box striker like him to develop though, because almost all of our attacks are filtered through the wingers, and every winger we have looks to shoot first anyways. The stats have been referred to endlessly but Hojlund basically never sees the ball apart from trying to hold it up in transitions. I'd like to see him get the chances Jackson/Nunez have been presented with this year before passing real judgement.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Agree with the bolded. Completely disagree on Hojlund though if I'm honest. I think his ability to carry the ball at pace is super rare for a striker of his style, and his physical attributes and finishing technique are quality. As a team with how we play it's basically the worst setup for a young box striker like him to develop though, because almost all of our attacks are filtered through the wingers, and every winger we have looks to shoot first anyways. The stats have been referred to endlessly but Hojlund basically never sees the ball apart from trying to hold it up in transitions. I'd like to see him get the chances Jackson/Nunez have been presented with this year before passing real judgement.
I don't have a strong opinion on Hojlund so I won't argue. But the kind of player he is doesn't excite me, I am afraid he is quite limited what will be a problem for us next season UNLESS we bring in another striker that puts him in "covering for #9" position.

Agreed we have probably the worst possible setup for a young striker to develop.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Yeah, get the feck out the club. I've been fair with him I think, but that is just beyond the fecking pale.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
A couple of weeks ago people said he had a good performance. Literally all his games are the same

aeh1991

There were still people defending him after his goals against Liverpool and Burnley. I hope that will stop now. He's been a waste of money from day 1.

Irwin99

If Rashford had put in that performance he'd be slaughtered. Anonymous for most of the game.

Woodzy

At the risk of repeating myself, terrible player and completely unlikable. Results aside, ETH should be judged heavily on this signing alone (not to mention other poor signings).

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Genuinely think there should be a criminal fraud investigation around his transfer

Andersons Dietician

Was willing to give him the benefit of doubt and that some of it was just what happened in his personal life and that as a team we aren’t great. However I’m honestly not sure what he brings other than being willing to chase back. He’s weak, he’s slow, he can’t beat anyone and I don’t even know what he actually is. doesn’t seem very creative and the one thing he does seem to try he isn’t very good at. How Amad isn’t an automatic starter over him I’m not sure. Either Antony is great in training or Amad is terrible.

Unam333

Not working out for him. If we want to progress as a team he either needs to get sold or he needs to accept he's a backup for a new winger.

Dannn411

One of the worst signings in Premier League history. In football history even. Bad in every single department. I'm stunned he made it as a footballer. That alone shows anything in this world is possible.

lex talionis

Fraud of a footballer. Horrendous today, yet again. And looking back at all those YouTube videos WTF was there to make anyone wank off to the tune of 71m for him?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Was willing to give him the benefit of doubt and that some of it was just what happened in his personal life and that as a team we aren’t great. However I’m honestly not sure what he brings other than being willing to chase back. He’s weak, he’s slow, he can’t beat anyone and I don’t even know what he actually is. doesn’t seem very creative and the one thing he does seem to try he isn’t very good at. How Amad isn’t an automatic starter over him I’m not sure. Either Antony is great in training or Amad is terrible.
Yep. It's why people were sounding the alarm bells even before signing him, because his creative production wasn't very good even in a perfectly tailored system at Ajax in a much easier league, and his physical attributes are fecking terrible for what is supposed to be a PL level winger. There was no clear path to him being productive here unless he turned into an absolute gunman in front of goal (tough to do when you have only one way of striking a ball)

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It's clear ETH went to Rio Carnival 24 years ago.

No other way you can watch this neck tattooed cretin waddling about the pitch doing nothing and still picks him.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Bissaka gives me the same feeling
Yeah he plays like someone who only learned the sport 2 years ago, but at least with AWB you can see the physical gifts with his long legs and pace. Antony fecking slips every few steps and gets out ran and out muscled by every non-Cucurella fullback in the league.

And Ten Hag chose to buy him for double of what Kudus went for!! Sackable at the time and even more sackable now