2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Bondi77

I was amazed he was starting after the last game but we know Erik will give him every chance to come good.
He took his goal well and he did alright compared to his usual performances.

ZainCRse7en

Credit where it's due, he was great today and caused havoc on the left flank. Their right back was scared to piss everytime Antony had the ball and drive forward with the ball. There is definitely a player there and as he adapts to the league and tune his game, he would be a massive player for us.

RedCurry

I am starting to think he’s not as much of a dud as I once thought he was. Extremely small sample size of good performances but with the right application I think he could become quite useful.

RuudtheRed

How is Rashford his direct competitor?
The way I see it, Garnacho is a nailed on starter on either wing for ETH no matter what. The other position is up to Rashford and Antony to claim.

WouterWeghorst

Supports
Bald Managers
When Antony starts to do stuff offensively, he has 1 over Rashford who doesn’t do anything defensively. Antony had a terrible year with the accusations, speculations, injuries all affecting his game. He’s been scapegoated more than Sir Marcus, but hasn’t cried about it once in the media.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Has he taken over best first touch in the team from Shaw? Clearly has something, but just doesn't have the pace to be a threat. Works his socks off though, which is good.

Red00012

Credit where it's due, he was great today and caused havoc on the left flank. Their right back was scared to piss everytime Antony had the ball and drive forward with the ball. There is definitely a player there and as he adapts to the league and tune his game, he would be a massive player for us.
He played on the right

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He played on the right
:lol:

Grande

He's gonna need to do a lot more of this for me. The bar is set very very low
The way he played yesterday was for me a 7/10 (maybe 8 considering the goal). He had quite a few of those performances last season as well. This season, it’s been maybe 2 or 3. i think you should be able to consider last night’s level normal for him, and consider this seasons norm a local deviation probably due to the legal hassles.

I’ve several times worked wihh people wihh pending charges over their heads, and it’s hard to exaggerate how much damage it does to confidence, focus and motivation. It happened to Maguire as well.

spiriticon

He's getting better in the last few games. The off balance finish yesterday was superb.

AndySmith1990

The worse someone is at their job over a prolonged period of time, the less they need to do to impress because so little is expected of them

El Jefe

3 goals and 2 assists this season with 40% of that coming against Newport County. His performances are as bad as his stats.

You can’t even give any weight to his good performances because you know he’ll be shite the next game. Our next game is against Palace and I’m sure Tyriq Mitchell will have him in a straight jacket.

El Jefe

The way he played yesterday was for me a 7/10 (maybe 8 considering the goal). He had quite a few of those performances last season as well. This season, it’s been maybe 2 or 3. i think you should be able to consider last night’s level normal for him, and consider this seasons norm a local deviation probably due to the legal hassles.

I’ve several times worked wihh people wihh pending charges over their heads, and it’s hard to exaggerate how much damage it does to confidence, focus and motivation. It happened to Maguire as well.
Based on what? Your post reads like fantasy.

Yesterday’s performance is more of an anomaly for Antony. In the second half he used pace to beat his full back, was more direct and scored.

Last season he was average and that’s being generous, this season he’s been dreadful.

A normal level Antony is still a player who should be nowhere near this club. The bar for him is so low.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

5/10 for me without the goal and 6/10 with it.
Can't be a starter if this is you're average

Mike Smalling

Only saw the second half yesterday, but overall seemed to do fairly well. Shame his goal didn’t win the game.

Adz_99

Glad to read he was decent yesterday.

I really like the guy. He seems to actually care about the club and even when the quality is lacking you don't doubt his passion or commitment. I've got a lot more time for him than some of the sulky, unbothered players we've seen in recent years.

Idxomer

He did have a good game, but a better player would've scored more than one goal with the chances he had.

klayton88

So you didn’t see the game yesterday and just posted something to criticise him.
I've watched every game this season. Because he best his man a few times yesterday that's got him down as somebody who can beat a man consistently because it's fits your agenda? He did it twice yesterday and people are giving him credit as a winger.

Grande

5/10 for me without the goal and 6/10 with it.
Can't be a starter if this is you're average
Then I disagree with your impression of the game. I think he was the best winger on the pitch by far, and Uniteds best player along Bruno, Onana and Maguire. It was a game we should have scored three or four goals, and he was an important contributor in attack by transitioning play through midfield and creating overloads in attack. Also he delivered good defensive play barring the ten minute period in the first half when the whole team discipline went to shit.
Based on what? Your post reads like fantasy.

Yesterday’s performance is more of an anomaly for Antony. In the second half he used pace to beat his full back, was more direct and scored.

Last season he was average and that’s being generous, this season he’s been dreadful.

A normal level Antony is still a player who should be nowhere near this club. The bar for him is so low.
I think your post reads like short term or selective memory. I think Antony last season delivered many 7/10 performances in the autumn, just lacking in goals/assists. Post christmas was more 6/10 matches. Sometimes he had frustrating games, but on the whole he was useful in my view. Quite allright for a debut season for a 23 year old used to play in Eredivisie. Before that I had seen him deliver quite a few 7/10 performances for Ajax in Europe and Eredivisie, and some 6-7/10 performances for Brazil. For a playe his age then, I think it’s fair to view their better performances as their norm as players, seeing as inconsistency is a given that reduces with experience. So I think it’s fair to expect yesterday’s kind of performances from him, based on a combination of experience and inductive reasoning.

To both: Does that mean I think Antony should be a United starter if he establishes yesterday as his level?

This season, based on current form, yes. I think his level yesterday was more useful to us than Amad (so far), Garnacho (current form, looks tired to me) and Rashford (23/24 version), so I would start him if he continues that level (unlike a few weeks back).

Next season: No, I think United should aim to have even better starters. I would prefer if he was back up option going into next season.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He needs to tell his team to stop leaking stuff to Goldfish and the United stand. Not a good look.

Red00012

I've watched every game this season. Because he best his man a few times yesterday that's got him down as somebody who can beat a man consistently because it's fits your agenda? He did it twice yesterday and people are giving him credit as a winger.
You changed your tune , now you’re admitting he did it. Trust me I don’t rate him whatsoever but lack of pace isn’t one of his problems .

MrBest

Which game were you watching? I agree, he was slightly better than. He has been, but I don't think any havoc was created. The only credit I give him was for the goal, chased aggressively, and decent shot but this should be the bare minimum our our players, catch out relegation candidate players. Other than that, shot woefully most of the time, missed two huge chances, couldn't really create anything (did he even make a cross??), still nervous to go on his right, too predixatble, too lightweight, not much football intelligence.

klayton88

You changed your tune , now you’re admitting he did it. Trust me I don’t rate him whatsoever but lack of pace isn’t one of his problems .
From a standing start, over the first 10 yards, which is most important as a winger then yeah pace is a problem. If you've got pace off the mark you can knock it round anybody even with your weak foot and you're away.

redcarpet

From a standing start, over the first 10 yards, which is most important as a winger then yeah pace is a problem. If you've got pace off the mark you can knock it round anybody even with your weak foot and you're away.
From a standing start is where he's at his quickest. It's after the first 10 metres where he's slow. A confident Antony can hold the ball, can beat a man to find space for a pass. He'll never be that marauding winger.

EireRed_GS

he took his goal well yesterday, but overall wasnt great by any stretch of imagination.

He works hard, but hes still way too one dimensional and predictable. He's still be one of the first out the door for me

mu4c_20le

He's probably quite proud of his transfer fee, and doesn't seem like the type to be bothered by it.

Pughnichi

Revisiting old news here but how on earth does he jump from 20k to 200k

he wanted the move so much he threatened to refuse training

surely we held all the cards! And could have just told his agent 100k. Final offer. Take it or leave it

it beggars belief he’s managed to get so much out of the club

does anyone have a reasonable explanation how this could be good business.

Giggs' right foot

surely we held all the cards! And could have just told his agent 100k. Final offer. Take it or leave it

Couldn’t have said it better myself. And I think it goes for so many other examples the past years. Like renewing Phil Jones and paying him upwards of 100k from 2019-2023.

Like… who exactly was lurking that we so wanted to ward off that we thought we had to fork out with that?

Eric_the_Red99

I dunno, but he’s obviously a skilled negotiator. Maybe we should deploy him in that capacity in future ie representing the club in contract negotiations, rather than as a player?