2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

lex talionis

A harder worker, but there is no real joy to his game. It’s lock and load for the same move, over and over and over.

Litch

I keep telling myself there must be more to this lad than just hard work but 80m for that? Hes 20m at best and people wanted to check Freds passport?

C'est Moi Cantona

Not good enough, but that's not my main issue with him, as with most players you can at least some potential for the future.

But the fact he is so one footed, isn't really that quick, has limited skill to beat anyone, and seems pretty weak without much of not been, then you also can't see where any real improvement is going to come from either.

afatzp

If Anthony can see his limitation and start learning the style of Bernardo Silva, I think he has a chance to become a quality player to help control games. He did control the balls well, drew those fouls on him and gave some breath time to the team when in pressure. But I think the coach should start guiding him to 1) not shoot until open play at week side ; 2) keeping the balls as 1st priority, instead of trying to dribbling pass opponents or risking through balls; 3) less touches but more off-ball run to find space; 4) better leveraging the overlap run from RB , instead of treating it as a dummy run for his cut-inside-and-shoot.

crossy1686

career ending
He doesn’t even look good or get goals against bottom of the league sides so you can’t say that he might improve against bigger sides. He’s just a tragic waste of money and if we had any ambition to go anywhere we’d already be looking to replace him in the summer.

Mwooyo

Amad should be kicking himself because Anthony just is not as good as he thinks he is. I actually think we should be going all out for a top-tier RW in the winter or the summer. We need to be ruthless and let players like Sancho, Anthony, and Mctominay go

Superunknown

If we could mix somehow Antony's work rate and Sancho's technical talent - we would get a pretty decent footballer :D.
I feel that way about quite a few members of our squad. If you could combine them, we would get somewhere. We essentially need 2 or 3 players to do the job that 1 amazing player could do.

stevoc

Amad should be kicking himself because Anthony just is not as good as he thinks he is. I actually think we should be going all out for a top-tier RW in the winter or the summer. We need to be ruthless and let players like Sancho, Anthony, and Mctominay go
I imagine that's what the club thought they were doing in the summers of 2021 and 2022 when we spent the best part of £160m on Sancho and Antony.

Remember the geese

I mean you’re probably correct but ones had way more chances to show us he ain’t great. I like Antony’s willingness to get back but he’s got to have some attacking ability mixed in.
Under ten Hag, yes. Although Sancho had a season with us prior to ten Hag's arrival and he was just as useless then. If anything I'd argue that Sancho's end product is slightly better than Antony's, but it's a very low bar as neither player is close to being good enough. I wouldn't play Sancho, simply because he's far too soft and lacks commitment.

Banana Republic

Can we get our money back, under consumer protection rules, or something?

This product doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do and isn of merchantable quality.

Mwooyo

I imagine that's what the club thought they were doing in the summers of 2021 and 2022 when we spent the best part of £160m on Sancho and Antony.
Yup...but it hasn't worked out for them 2 so...we can get hung up on it, and accept their terrible performances, or....we learn from it, identify the things that a manutd RW must have, and then look for transfer targets who fit the profile. What people have forgotten is we used to have GW, he was a better RW than either Sancho or Anthony. For example, when we signed Sancho, his lousiness was covered with GW being able to step in a play there. However, in today's manutd, there is no other RW option for us.

For me, it was clear even before we bought Sancho that he wouldn't work given the way manutd plays unless there was a massive change in his game or a massive change in our game to fit him. For Anthony, he was never worth it, especially given the prices quoted. This is why we need an experienced DOF who can reign in ETH.

For a RW player to thrive in this current manutd team, he has to be able to beat his man one on one...must be able to beat him both ways, inside or outside... must have a huge work rate, must be able to see a pass and make it...and they must be lightening fast. Sancho and Anthony lack many of these critical skills and will not make it long-term unless we drastically change the team to fit them...something I don't see us doing...so we should just go out and buy better

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I hope we stick with Amad/Antony for another year or two. To much other stuff that need to be fixed, and I dont see an obvious option. Plus, in a year or two Lacey should be a serious option.

philippexyz

There won't be available money for that. We need to buy competition for Hojlund(or a backup), press resistant central midfielder(most important, probably), (maybe)defensive midfielder(Casemiro looks crap this season), at least one center back(probably two), and a right back(maybe even a left back, considering Shaw's and Malacia'a fitness).

New right winger is reserved for the summer of 2025, most likely.

Seveneric

The club should investigate ETH and the transfer. £70m+, generous wages for a non-prodigious player (that no clubs were in competition for) on the manager’s insistence is dodgy, and that’s before even touching the character flaws.

Baxquux

The club should investigate ETH and the transfer. £70m+, generous wages for a non-prodigious player (that no clubs were in competition for) on the manager’s insistence is dodgy, and that’s before even touching the character flaws.
TBF he was available for around 55m (still too much, ofc) earlier in the Summer, and it was the hierarchy being reluctant to pay it but then not coming to an agreement with ETH over a suitable alternative that pushed the price up. We needed a RFW, ideally who could contribute towards the defensive side and pressing and hold the ball up as well as creating opportunities, Antony just, -for whatever range of factors - hasn't stepped up.

I can see why ETH potentially saw a player akin to Mahrez there - someone less about burning speed and more about footwork and ability to work for the team, who just needed to be honed (Mahrez took a year at Leicester to get up to speed, and then a year at City to step up). That kind of risk was only tenable at the sort of money Liverpool paid for Gapko though, as in 30-35.

lsd

The Oracle

Pointless saying that though when Ten Hag will never drop Antony.

The only way we will stop seeing Antony in our team is under a different manager

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I'm convinced full backs just allow him to cut in because they know it results in them getting the ball back, because he can only do two things; A powder puff R1+O shot that either goes wide or into the keeper's hand or a cross that hits the first man.

Jesus Christ, what a dreadful footballer.

Stadjer

There was no direct competition for Antony but he was on the list of many clubs as a player too follow. One of the reported reasons why Manchester United decided to get Antony for big money was to avoid competition with other clubs for his signature in a later period. He is still a left footed right winger. Those are rare players and the type of player that a lot of clubs would want to add to their squad. Especially with the expectation that Antony would be able to take a step up in his performances.

Em765

He is obviously such a limited player.
What the heck did we see in him and why did we sign him.
At least with someone like Sancho, he dominated in a different league. Antony didn't. Antony is too limited to dominate anywhere in any good professional league.
Doubt he would be a standout player in like a Finnish league or something.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I got abuse for saying it before we signed him, but his flaws were obvious to see, and his flaws were always going to be problematic because, to be a top wide player in England or any top league, you need to be good in tight spaces and under pressure. Technically, he's always been fine, but, physically, he's always been pretty weak and slow so he struggles to keep the ball under pressure and beat his man with dribbling.

It's funny because people were saying I'd never be happy with any transfer because I had problems with them all bar Martinez and Malacia, but, if we targeted the right players, I'd be happier than anyone here. We just don't target ones who have the right attributes. Attributes we are sorely lacking

stevoc

Yup...but it hasn't worked out for them 2 so...we can get hung up on it, and accept their terrible performances, or....we learn from it, identify the things that a manutd RW must have, and then look for transfer targets who fit the profile. What people have forgotten is we used to have GW, he was a better RW than either Sancho or Anthony. For example, when we signed Sancho, his lousiness was covered with GW being able to step in a play there. However, in today's manutd, there is no other RW option for us.

For me, it was clear even before we bought Sancho that he wouldn't work given the way manutd plays unless there was a massive change in his game or a massive change in our game to fit him. For Anthony, he was never worth it, especially given the prices quoted. This is why we need an experienced DOF who can reign in ETH.

For a RW player to thrive in this current manutd team, he has to be able to beat his man one on one...must be able to beat him both ways, inside or outside... must have a huge work rate, must be able to see a pass and make it...and they must be lightening fast. Sancho and Anthony lack many of these critical skills and will not make it long-term unless we drastically change the team to fit them...something I don't see us doing...so we should just go out and buy better
Perhaps not but we're not being financially doped by a middle eastern gulf state. There's no bottomless pit of cash to just keep splurging another £80m on a position every year or two. At some point the club/manager have to work with and develop some of the players we already have instead of just trying to buy their way back to the top.

binary bot
He's a 40m player at best.
To think that Ajax was desperate to keep him :houllier: .
I think Ajax just knew they had us by the balls. Like everyone does because we've been doing the same thing for years. Our transfer approach is basically a Little Britain 'I want that one' impression.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's absolute rubbish. Was hoping his self imposed exile would last longer so we could try different things on that right hand side and hopefully Mount could make it his own.

But alas, now he's back and it's the usual shite.

And forget about this "He brings balance" stuff... You could buy any random right winger to hug the touchline and work back and they'd do it for a fraction of the price. He brings balance like Anakin Skywalker brings balance to the force, by being in 3 shit movies and ending being a baddie. Basically Anthony is our £80m baddie... And he probably also hates sand the weirdo.

Kweku Amonoo

We're stuck with him for another 4 years, aren't we? Because I'm sure we inexplicably gave him stupid wages when we signed him.
You bet. He’s reportedly on 200K. He was taking less than 50K at Ajax. We’re so dumb at negotiating contracts it beggars belief.

Remember the geese

Any chance that he can be called out for training badly, then accusing the manager of lying about it, whilst refusing to apologise? Don't suppose we can be so lucky twice.

lsd

The Oracle
Any chance that he can be called out for training badly, then accusing the manager of lying about it, whilst refusing to apologise? Don't suppose we can be so lucky twice.

If he did Erik would just say yes Antony how would you like to be captain sir?

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
To be fair, for all of Antony's faults, a lack of effort isn't one of them.

redcucumber

When is Amad back? Some competition for that spot would be healthy. Alternatively we should be in the mix for Neto. Ridiculously consistent creator.

jem

Why should Amad be kicking himself? He's done nothing wrong. It's Sancho who should be kicking himself.

Golden Nugget

I remember saying that my expectations were low on this - as I was over excited with Depay, who from highlights looked much, much better and was skinning players constantly.

Both looked like good wingers in the Dutch league, both look way off the pace in PL.

Despite Depay looking more talented - I haven’t given up on Antony yet as he’s incredibly hard working and doesn’t let his head drop - but he really needs to do better

El Jefe

Watching the Villa vs West Ham game and their right wingers are so much better than Antony. Some of the stuff I’ve seen from Bowen and Diaby is at least a level above what our £85m is capable of.

Devil81

This should be the transfer that loses Murtagh his job, he should have known Antony wasn't a 80 million pound player. He should have been strong enough to say to ETH whilst you are the manager we have a responsibility to not overpay for players.

Surely United being one of the biggest clubs in the world, we should have had a full scouting report and value outline. It's like we've paid Ferrari money for a Vauxhall Astra.