View full 2023-24 profile

4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He’s lucky that he’s basically our only option for the right wing, last night he defended reasonably well which is enough to keep your place at the moment.

Oranges038

I'm still on the fence with Antony.

Genuinely think he's not an out and out winger, so him being isolated out there when he doesn't have the skillset or the pace really to take a man on 1v1 and get a ball into the box, doesn't do him any favours. Defensively he offers workrate etc. He's not like a Mahrez, Saka or Raphinha that is comfortable in doing those things out there on his own.

I think if he had a fullback on his side that bombed forward like Davies did for Sane, I think you'd see a different side to his game. Unfortunately for him, he's got Dalot and AWB who just offer nothing going either way.

Gordon Godot

Genuinely think he's not an out and out winger, so him being isolated out there when he doesn't have the skillset or the pace really to take a man on 1v1 and get a ball into the box, doesn't do him any favours. Defensively he offers workrate etc. He's not like a Mahrez, Saka or Raphinha that is comfortable in doing those things out there on his own.

I think if he had a fullback on his side that bombed forward like Davies did for Sane, I think you'd see a different side to his game. Unfortunately for him, he's got Dalot and AWB who just offer nothing going either way.
So we paid £80m for a winger who cannot beat a player and needs a system in place to do well. its a joke. Look at some the Bayern players last night and their ability to beat people

Longshanks

He is ETH on the pitch. Quite good at pressing and winning the ball back. Absolutely no idea what to actually do with to create chances.

Wins the ball back instantly goes backwards, space to drive into and attack the fullback comes inside into traffic, chance to cross the ball with the backline stretched, turns around and passes back up the line. He has a few tricks there all shit and don't have any impact on the game. Whoever signed off 80million for him should be ejected from Old trafford via a trebuchet.

Quite possibly our worst ever signing, complete fraud.

Skills

Snitch
Has skill, trickery and determination, lacks pace, physicality, shooting power and colocation plus can't cross and can't do shit with his right foot.

We absolutely got robbed for the price paid, at most he should had been a 40M punt. He's not good enough and lacks to many basics to actually improve enough. We'll have to take the bite and move him for a cut price there's no other way.
Nah. He's got the type of tricks those freestylers have on youtube - he's often just flapping his foot over the ball, without the ability to really sell his defender a dummy. He has no reliable skill or move to actually beat his opponent whether that's a really deceptive drop of the shoulder or even a la croqueta.

In fact, technically he's a shocking dribbler. He's so rigid, and his body positioning is all wrong. The defenders square him up because he doesn't have the fluidity, the technique or deception to keep them guessing.

DickDastardly

Oh but that left foot of his....and how he curles it into the top left corner....of the fecking stands.

He's the slowest winger in the world.
And he can't cross the ball.

And his positioning? It's like he always recieves the ball just inches from the out line.
And not to mention he's miles away from the box!

You could see the difference yesterday, Coman or Sane always got the ball right on the edge of our box.

Antony gets the ball closer to Ten Hag then he is to the goal.

KeanoMagicHat

Nah. He's got the type of tricks those freestylers have on youtube - he's often just flapping his foot over the ball, without the ability to really sell his defender a dummy. He has no reliable skill or move to actually beat his opponent whether that's a really deceptive drop of the shoulder or even a la croqueta.

In fact, technically he's a shocking dribbler. He's so rigid, and his body positioning is all wrong. The defenders square him up because he doesn't have the fluidity, the technique or deception to keep them guessing.
Heard someone say that the way he dribbles the ball doesn’t move so all the defender has to do is wait and then nick the ball off him, the best dribblers manipulate and change the direction of the ball.

Skills

Snitch
Heard someone say that the way he dribbles the ball doesn’t move so all the defender has to do is wait and then nick the ball off him, the best dribblers manipulate and change the direction of the ball.
Yup, just watch Bernardo Silva in comparison. He's also quite a one footed dribbler and doesn't have a lot of pace to rinse his man.

But look how fluid he is in the way he manipulates the ball, committing his man to then take ball past them.

Oranges038

So we paid £80m for a winger who cannot beat a player and needs a system in place to do well. its a joke. Look at some the Bayern players last night and their ability to beat people
I'm not Antony's biggest fan, I don't particularly like him, but I don't think you're ever going to see much from him unless he has a proper attacking full back down his side, one that's going to bomb forward and create spaces for him to operate.

Do you think David Beckham would have been as effective without the balance and support provided by Neville down the right?

Do you think Sane would have so much freedom to dribble in field if Davies wasn't bombing down the outside all game?

What about Salah and all the space he was offered by having TAA as an outlet down his side?

It's not about having a system player, it's simply about having players on the pitch who compliment each other. Antony helps the right side out defensively anyone with half a brain can see that, but he gets feck all coming the other way and is often isolated with no support. There was one particular instance last night where he had the ball, there was a free run down the wing for the right back (Dalot) and he just stood and watched as the ball was played backwards. Any have decent fullback with a brain makes that run.

The two right backs, whether they play inside or stay wide offer the grand sum total of fcuk all in attack. They're both not good enough going either way.

flappyjay

Do you think David Beckham would have been as effective without the balance and support provided by Neville down the right?
Without Gary, Becks is still an excellent crosser of the ball and still an amazing passer of the ball. Seems like Antony needs his hand held to do some attacking work for us. The attacking fullback should be there to help elevate his already good qualities to a new level. What qualities will be elevated when we find that bombing rb. We he all of a sudden know how to cross, will he get better at shooting. His attacking stats in the Eredivisie were average ,so what exactly would improve?

Oranges038

Without Gary, Becks is still an excellent crosser of the ball and still an amazing passer of the ball. Seems like Antony needs his hand held to do some attacking work for us. The attacking fullback should be there to help elevate his already good qualities to a new level. What qualities will be elevated when we find that bombing rb. We he all of a sudden know how to cross, will he get better at shooting. His attacking stats in the Eredivisie were average ,so what exactly would improve?
Already said I'm not his biggest fan, I just don't like AWB and Dalot even more so than Antony. If you put a fullback on his side in the mould of Mazroui or Hakimi, even Trent, you'd see a different side to his game.

You might even get more than 1 goal or assist in 30 games.

Bondi77

I think you are going to find yourself impaled into that fence before long mate if you have not realised that Antony is a shit player that I do not even think he is Premier League standard.

Oranges038

I think you are going to find yourself impaled into that fence before long mate if you have not realised that Antony is a shit player that I do not even think he is Premier League standard.
It's not that I don't think he's shite, I don't particularly like him at all. I just think he'd offer more with a different profile of full back on his side. It's not really beyond the realms of possibility that he could offer more than a couple of goals and assists over the course of a season if that were to happen.

Stacks

I'm not Antony's biggest fan, I don't particularly like him, but I don't think you're ever going to see much from him unless he has a proper attacking full back down his side, one that's going to bomb forward and create spaces for him to operate.

Do you think Sane would have so much freedom to dribble in field if Davies wasn't bombing down the outside all game?

What about Salah and all the space he was offered by having TAA as an outlet down his side?

It's not about having a system player, it's simply about having players on the pitch who compliment each other. Antony helps the right side out defensively anyone with half a brain can see that, but he gets feck all coming the other way and is often isolated with no support. There was one particular instance last night where he had the ball, there was a free run down the wing for the right back (Dalot) and he just stood and watched as the ball was played backwards. Any have decent fullback with a brain makes that run.

The two right backs, whether they play inside or stay wide offer the grand sum total of fcuk all in attack. They're both not good enough going either way.
Our transfer strategy always consists of "club record signing that requires 1 or 2 super expensive signings to unlock them"

Oranges038

Our transfer strategy always consists of "club record signing that requires 1 or 2 super expensive signings to unlock them"
It's just a consequence of bad squad building.

Too many players in this squad who just don't compliment each other on the pitch.

Strelok

Tbh he has been more a FB than Dalot and Dalot has been more a winger than him. Anyone remember a single moment where he offered some remotely goal threat in the last months? Yeah me neither.

Our front three are just atrocious. All you need to do is to put a defender on them and they'd be practically useless. Sometime you don't even need to and they somehow screw and feck up themselves. 20 yo Garnacho has been our biggest goal threat. And it's not like even a good one. Then McT, yes McT. That tells you all you need to know.

Lentwood

I can understand the criticism of his output but I don't understand the "can't beat a defender" criticism.

First of all, it's 2023, not 1993. The era of flying wingers finding themselves in 30 yards of green space to run at a fat fullback are gone.

Secondly, Antony regularly beats his defender, but then since our attack is so disjointed he's usually completely isolated and inevitably has to turn around and wait for support.

His shooting is frustrating, his goals/assists output is too low (but then look at the rest, barely any better) but there's definitely a hard-working, technically-capable, useful footballer in there and I'd have him in this current team every single week.

Also...forget about the fee. Its not fair to judge a player in relation to a fee. Antony was never an £80m player but our desperation and the timing meant we overpaid by £30m. That's not the players fault.

Mike Smalling

He's the biggest stain on ETH's tenure here so far. He managed him at Ajax, he wanted him, he believed he was worth £80m, and he is absolutely atrocious.

mavradal

Eh? Dalot bombs forward constantly.
Indeed and in almost every match they play on the same side, Antony 99% of the time prefers to cut inside instead of pass whenever Dalot overlaps.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I am puzzled that he gets money for playing football.
He's just a total waste of space.

Mike Smalling

Worst ever player to play on RW/RM for Manchester United in our history
Bebé was worse, but he only had a handful of appearances and didn't cost much. He was just an inexpensive gamble that didn't work out.

Antony might be worst in terms of players brought in for big fees and that have had an extended period in the team.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Saw some stat about Antony having 0 goals and 1 assist in 24 games. Absolutely tragic output.

He should be converted into a wing back at some club like Inter or Frankfurt.

SirMonteyne

For those who appreciate hard-working, running players, I am no less. I can literally run for 120 minutes without breaking a sweat for everyday. I just lack certain footballing skills.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
The guy was being compared to Luis Nani last season due to his inconsistency and tendency to frustrate the fans, but let's be real here - he can only dream of being close to Nani's level of quality.

Wilt

At £85m he’s the worst transfer in the history of the club

klayton88

The guy was being compared to Luis Nani last season due to his inconsistency and tendency to frustrate the fans, but let's be real here - he can only dream of being close to Nani's level of quality.
Nani was unplayable on his day. Antony is a stain on Nani's undies.

Wilt

And the £73m player currently training (when he feels like it) with the reserves?
Can’t assess if he’s not being played ….though agree he was also a terrible signing. Hopefully both will get kicked out sooner than later.

RORY65

Eh? He's not even the worst transfer in this current squad.
I think he actually was albeit there is some competition. Signing Sancho for £73m as a young English player who had been very productive in the Bundesliga at least made sense when we signed him, even if he's been mostly very poor for us and is now going out of his way not to play for the club or train seriously. I'm not sure how Antony at £80m, having done not much for the dominant side in an inferior league, ever made sense as a signing.

Ignoring the ugly allegations against him he is playing which puts him ahead of Sancho in that respect but there was no likely scenario where that was a good deal while there was the possibility when we signed Sancho that it would be a good signing, unfortunately it's been terrible in reality. To be honest the fact that there's a serious debate over whether a forward who cost £80m and who has 1 goal and 2 assists in the league since Liz Truss was Prime Minister is the worst signing in our squad is quite a damning indictment.

Stacks

I can understand the criticism of his output but I don't understand the "can't beat a defender" criticism.

First of all, it's 2023, not 1993. The era of flying wingers finding themselves in 30 yards of green space to run at a fat fullback are gone.

Secondly, Antony regularly beats his defender, but then since our attack is so disjointed he's usually completely isolated and inevitably has to turn around and wait for support.

His shooting is frustrating, his goals/assists output is too low (but then look at the rest, barely any better) but there's definitely a hard-working, technically-capable, useful footballer in there and I'd have him in this current team every single week.

Also...forget about the fee. Its not fair to judge a player in relation to a fee. Antony was never an £80m player but our desperation and the timing meant we overpaid by £30m. That's not the players fault.
Dembele, Sane, Eze, can all beat a man

Marwood

Beating a defender means getting past them and staying past them.

Unfortunately for Antony, they always catch him up. The lad can't move with the ball.

Even for £50 million, he shouldn't be here.