Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Partridge

Anthony needs to be more aggressive in his protests. Not in terms of violence, but in terms of displaying his discontent. Maybe take a dump in the cafeteria whilst reading the daily mail, or something equally pathetic.

Tiki-Taka

Rashford is crazy overrated on here. Ten Haag isn't crazy to be wanting to spend so much on an option when he sees Rashford play day in day out.
I don't think he is good, I just think Eredivisie is weak, Depay and Tadic looked like worldbeaters in the Eredivisie, Rashford is better than both imo.

roseguy64

But there was interest. I'd agree if English media had published about it first, but the first to report it were L'Equipe and RMC. Both are reliable French sources. We just shut that down because Rashford is much too be precious to be sold, you see. There's absolutely no reason for him to be at the club any longer in light of that offer, especially if we bring Antony, but here we are.
What offer? PSG has not bid anything or even found out the price. They've only sounded out Rashford's agents who are taking the meeting to use in his contract renewal discussion later in the season.

C'est Moi Cantona

Get him for 80m and sell Rashford to psg for 60m - good business

If PSG were serious then Rashford could go for over £100 million, and we'd be laughing at them, just hope Ajax fans wouldn't be doing the same to us if we got this guy for a bit less.

I've no idea about what to expect tbh.

GreatDane

Firstly we will not pay €100m or £100m for him. The highest reported bid is around £67m which is exactly where I think he would be priced at given conditions I’ll now outline.

Apologies if this comes across patronising as I promise this is not the intention but let’s simplify this down to the most basic economic conditions of supply and demand.

There is very little supply of left footed RW players on a very good level with either potential or proven ability. So short supply is a factor.

There are absolutely no available world class RW on the market and if they were suddenly why would they join a Europa league side and lose CL football and title chances?

Let’s be real here Mo Salah is probably the only player now who isn’t any kind of risk were you to transfer him to a PL side at RW as a signing (and I’d happily welcome suggestions for alternatives).

Now let’s look into those few available players that are well below that level but could get there you have the following:
  1. Raphinha (who only wanted to move to Barcelona)
  2. Antony
You could argue a few more and I’d be Genuinely interested to hear suggestions but the noises around the likes of Diaby etc haven’t been he’s available and I don’t think he’d suit what we’d need anyway.

So our possibly supply of the required level is possibly 2/3 players (and we’ve already tried the young unproven route via Amad and Pellestri which hasn’t worked out as hoped).

Now let’s look at the demand side. United are bottom of the league, we have lost our most promising left footed attacker because of him being a vile piece of work and we’ve got a new manager wanting to implement a different style to the previous 3/4. So we need attackers who suit a new system who are a RW and left footed. I could give you zero guarantees that Raphinha could work with Ten Hag and I could give you many that Anton

We don’t have a left footed academy player coming through at RW that is really pushing for first team involvement we really desperately need a left footed RW we are incredibly limited as to our attacking options without one as it means we have to push Sancho into a purely creative role with no good alternative. I like Elanga but his game is too limited to be a long term success.

Now let’s look a the cost of not bringing him in. We go into the season with:
Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Garnacho as wingers. Martial and Ronaldo are not nor is Eriksen or Bruno. Does anyone here seriously think that’s enough to get top 4? Let’s be really if we don’t add quality in our forward line we’ll once again be looking Europa at best.

So given all of the above do I think £67m while expensive is a fair price. Yes.

Because there is no one currently on the market better suited to fulfill our needs.
Good post, I agree.

JuriM

An 80m player isn't anywhere as extraordinary as it was in 2015, some of you are too fixated on the price tag.

SAF is the GOAT

If we were smart enough we would go to Ajax and offer them 50m Euros and not 80.

We'll tell them that we used our budget on Casemiro and that we can offer them 50m.

With all these reports that Antony tries to force a move - We can just lay back and let them make a decision -

Either you won't let him go and probably will get a frustrated player for the whole season(and maybe taking a risk that he won't be the same price in next summer) OR you could sell him in the price that we gave you.

They'd then offer him for 60m to clubs and someone would bite.
Its pretty much looks that he's focused on coming to us and playing under his former manager

So you would offer them less?
Great way to offend a club AND the player you want to sign.
They bought him for 12.7m pounds(15m euros) - we can offer them that price multiplied by 3, its more than enough.

With all due respect - Antony isn't prime Ronaldo, we do want him but we won't spend crazy money and even he knows this.

Last edited:

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Calling him overrated on here in 2022 is wild, he's barely got any supports left at this point.
My baseline for Rashford is still very low. I think there's quite a few that think he may get back into form or something at least. I genuinely don't think he is a player that belongs at a top club. I don't think he would be that special for Ajax either.

No idea why PSG want him but hope they do get him. They did after all go for Herrera

bosskeano

• He plays way too risky and might get injured occasionally in PL
  • Bad decisions at RW
  • Better decisions at LW
  • Shoot at people a lot
  • Miss a bar a lot
  • Fast enough
  • Very good at dribbling
  • Better passer than McTominay
  • Better crosser than Dalot
  • Good in tight spaces
  • Not a world beater
  • Slightly better than the current Rashford
  • I prefer Sancho
  • Talentwise, I prefer Garnacho
plays risky??? he's an attacking player and you want them to take chances in the final third, that's what makes them special types of players

you have a full brazilian national player and you think garnacho is more talented and a better option???

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
If we were smart enough we would go to Ajax and offer them 50m Euros and not 80.

We'll tell them that we used our budget on Casemiro and that we can offer them 50m.

With all these reports that Antony tries to force a move - We can just lay back and let them make a decision -

Either you won't let him go and probably will get a frustrated player for the whole season(and maybe taking a risk that he won't be the same price in next summer) OR you could sell him in the price that we gave you.

They'd then offer him for 60m to clubs and someone would bite.

GreatDane

So you would offer them less?
Great way to offend a club AND the player you want to sign.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
I see the narrative around Ajax has changed recently. Not so long ago everyone was banging on about what a classy club they are and how great they are to deal with. Now they're a bunch of cheeky cnuts rinsing us. Quite a childish reaction tbf.

Stadjer

I don't think he is good, I just think Eredivisie is weak, Depay and Tadic looked like worldbeaters in the Eredivisie, Rashford is better than both imo.
Tadic also looked real good in th CL against big teams. He is the real deal. He just wasnt suited to Southampton. Tadic is a very good player. Other than that, Eredivisie defenders are horrible. Antony wont look half as good in the premier league as he does in the Eredivisie.

city-puma

Earlier in the window, I thought it’s absolutely a joke to pay more than 40 mils for Antony. Then, they said 80 mils is not enough. It’s going to be 100 mils. This is so ridiculous if we really do it. It will become an iconic case to teach a course, “how to waste money 101”.

hobbers

ETH has now seen Antony and Rashford up close and rates one so poorly that he’d blow half the club budget on the other.

GreatDane

I see the narrative around Ajax has changed recently. Not so long ago everyone was banging on about what a classy club they are and how great they are to deal with. Now they're a bunch of cheeky cnuts rinsing us. Quite a childish reaction tbf.
Haven't read all 173 pages, but Ajax is a great club. If they decline then fair to them, but it's a ton of money and they risk losing him next year for less if they keep a disgruntled player.
It's both a game and a business - when Real Madrid came calling for Ronaldo back then we couldn't do anything either.

avgp_1

Firstly we will not pay €100m or £100m for him. The highest reported bid is around £67m which is exactly where I think he would be priced at given conditions I’ll now outline.

Apologies if this comes across patronising as I promise this is not the intention but let’s simplify this down to the most basic economic conditions of supply and demand.

There is very little supply of left footed RW players on a very good level with either potential or proven ability. So short supply is a factor.

There are absolutely no available world class RW on the market and if they were suddenly why would they join a Europa league side and lose CL football and title chances?

Let’s be real here Mo Salah is probably the only player now who isn’t any kind of risk were you to transfer him to a PL side at RW as a signing (and I’d happily welcome suggestions for alternatives).

Now let’s look into those few available players that are well below that level but could get there you have the following:
  2. Antony
You could argue a few more and I’d be Genuinely interested to hear suggestions but the noises around the likes of Diaby etc haven’t been he’s available and I don’t think he’d suit what we’d need anyway.

So our possibly supply of the required level is possibly 2/3 players (and we’ve already tried the young unproven route via Amad and Pellestri which hasn’t worked out as hoped).

Now let’s look at the demand side. United are bottom of the league, we have lost our most promising left footed attacker because of him being a vile piece of work and we’ve got a new manager wanting to implement a different style to the previous 3/4. So we need attackers who suit a new system who are a RW and left footed. I could give you zero guarantees that Raphinha could work with Ten Hag and I could give you many that Anton

We don’t have a left footed academy player coming through at RW that is really pushing for first team involvement we really desperately need a left footed RW we are incredibly limited as to our attacking options without one as it means we have to push Sancho into a purely creative role with no good alternative. I like Elanga but his game is too limited to be a long term success.

Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Garnacho as wingers. Martial and Ronaldo are not nor is Eriksen or Bruno. Does anyone here seriously think that’s enough to get top 4? Let’s be really if we don’t add quality in our forward line we’ll once again be looking Europa at best.

Because there is no one currently on the market better suited to fulfill our needs.
Well summed up.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
No chance we pay 80m-100m for him. No club in the world would pay more than 65m for him except possibly us.

Cantonagotmehere

2. Antony

Great post, hope we land him. I could care less on price

bosskeano

his replacement is already in the squad so it's not like Ajax would scramble to replace him. It's now about how much money they can get from us for the player

CM

Good on him putting a bit of pressure on. It's an entirely fair offer and if Ajax are holding out for €100m they're taking the piss

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
his replacement is already in the squad so it's not like Ajax would scramble to replace him. It's now about how much money they can get from us for the player
His potential replacement in the squad is there now so we could see whether he's good enough and test him for a year whilst Antony is still here. We're not going to replace our best player Antony with an inexperienced player. Ajax apparently is out to get Ziyech back.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Genuinely not sure this is true at this point. If he plays with the same intensity he has the last season and a half then i don't agree at all.
Reis Nelson did very well in our league. And he's fecking shite.

Laurencio

Come on Ajax, let Antony re-unite with his football dad. We're getting close to paying you a record (for you) fee here.

Pickle85

Reis Nelson did very well in our league. And he's fecking shite.
Point taken, but there are outliers everywhere. The way Rashford has looked the last couple of seasons i think he'd struggle in the Netherlands, France, Germany etc.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
A bit unprofessional, which I don't like, but I guess he thinks he has to do that get a move...
Yeah. I do see it from his perspective and I argued with many on here last month when I said if we bid a huge amount and Ajax say no he’d be well in his rights to kick up a fuss - he will have been signed under the impression that he develop then move on - this is an incredible opportunity and he’s better than the Dutch league. However…that does seem a bit far.

Status
Not open for further replies.