Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike1976

Supports
Ajax & United, in that order
Think we can safely say deal won't be done in time for Saturday, so Leicester is more realistic timeline
The Bassey transfer took more than a week to get the work permit processed. As public servants are as slow all over the world I'd expect the same when the player is going the other way.
Reliable?
He is the highest boss of football department of de telegraaf and columnist. Reliable.

But there is also news from Algemeen Dagblad that Spurs are interested in ziyech... would ajax sell if they can't get him?
Driessen is Tier 100, talking out of his bum 24/7. Just because he smoothtalked his way into that job doesn't mean he's reliable even if he has people working for him that are usually reliable. He spent years trying to smear Ten Hag just because he didn’t like him as ETH is from a town and not a city. Eventually had to give up because you can't argue with success and everyone was making fun of him about his obvious bias.

Whenever he says something it's usually because of his agenda. Used car salesmen is the type of person that people associate Driessen with.

Highly unlikely.
£80m is insane, but we did pay that much for an actual fridge
Deals like that have poisoned the well.

If there is a club eager to throw that much money at a simple old school defender like Maguire why should any club then sell their attackers for less.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Get on with the bid. Stop dragging it out. Don’t stall for a good result at Southampton.

Alemar

I think by now it all depends on if Ajax can sign a replacement and then its a done deal. If spurs hijacks the Zyech deal i dont think Antony will come.
What about Amad on loan as part of the deal? Or perhaps Amad sale with a buyback clause

Putting all banter aside

Still close to crying that we are going to pay this amount of money for a player that show mediocre stats in the Eredivisie. All very flashy those tricks he's showing on the pitch, but if you can't get a double double in G/A in the Eredivisie, why on earth should we pay this amount of money. Also bear in mind, of all Ajax players coming from that 18/19 squad most of them performed fairly poorly after leaving the Netherlands: Ziyech, didn't succeed at Chelsea, Van de Beek no comments needed, De Ligt: mixed reception regarding his time at Juventus, Mazraoui is having a hard time at Bayern at the moment, Dest, poor at Barca. Seems like the step from being the absolute best in the Eredivisie (which Antony arguably isn't) to Premier League is sometimes bigger than we hope for.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Surely with all this grandstanding from him, we shouldn't be increasing our offer by that much (if at all.... it's already a huge overpay)

Feels like one where we miss out on it we just go back in for him next summer.

Get on with the bid. Stop dragging it out. Don’t stall for a good result at Southampton.
He'll never start at Southampton now - Work permit wouldn't be done in time I don't think even if we signed him in the next hour.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I really dislike this signing. We'll be paying 10+ million for each goal scored in the fecking Eredivisie. To a cnut that goes on a strike and can't be bothered to show up against minnows (hence the 8 goals). He's pretty good but he's not without his share of invisible games even in the CL.

If we're smart, we sign Ziyech on a short deal and revisit the position next year. Overpaying this amount is feasible if you're Man City, but we have a lot of holes in our squad.

Glorio

He'll never start at Southampton now - Work permit wouldn't be done in time I don't think even if we signed him in the next hour.
I think the poster is thinking more along the lines that the club only seems to act decisively after bad results. And so they're hoping we'll do well against Southampton, thus allowing them to duck out of this deal as the pressure to sign Antony would lessen.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ajax fans-

What’s the difference between Neres and Anthony?

Who was rated the highest?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If Timber is still in ten Hag’s plans, we’re not going to do anything to damage the relationship with Ajax, even in the short-term.

As I said earlier, we’re incredibly wet behind the ears when it comes to tapping up a player - he’s acting out after the fact, which is supposed to be a last resort, not a primary. It’s not behaviour to condone - and if he is a roaring success here, he might be doing the same to us a few years down the line - but as stated, this is a life-altering move that will change his life for good, so you can see why, from his POV it’s a necessary step.

Leaving this until the dying embers of the transfer window, in our predicament off the back of last season, was beyond stupid.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ajax fans-

Antony is a lot better, but Neres was a big talent in his own right.

Neres is better with his right foot, a bit more unpredictable both positively and negatively. Very good in the link up and could finish with both feet.

Antony is a better athlete, faster, more explosive, better stamina, more intensity, has a better left foot from long range, and is just more purposeful and direct in his all round play.

Neres could end up top class either way though, Benfica is a great place for him to develop.

Last edited:

Shai-Hulud

I thought we were supposed to be headed towards *less* being taken advantage of in the transfer market. If we sign Antony for €100m we will have unraveled whatever progress we made on that, and make things worse than ever.

Getting rinsed for Martinez was bad enough. Now we've gone from a mooted 50-60m price for Antony, to 80m, to 100m... They've moved the goalposts again and we're giving in.

For €100m there has got to be a better attacker to be signed from somewhere in this world.

Glorio

Antony is a lot better, but Neres was a big talent in his own right.

Neres is better with his right food, a bit more unpredictable but positively and negatively. Very good in the link up and could finish with both feet.

Antony is a better athlete, faster, more explosive, better stamina, more intensity, has a better left foot from long range, and is just more purposeful and direct in his all round play.

Neres could end up top class either way though, Benfica is a great place for him to develop.
Wow ... Consider me sold.

I've not watched him, and have intentionally avoided watching any clips until we actually get the player. However, if he has the attributes you've just described, he definitely sounds like someone we could use

Red the Bear

Something less generic
If Timber is still in ten Hag’s plans, we’re not going to do anything to damage the relationship with Ajax, even in the short-term.

As I said earlier, we’re incredibly wet behind the ears when it comes to tapping up a player - he’s acting out after the fact, which is supposed to be a last resort, not a primary. It’s not behaviour to condone - and if he is a roaring success here, he might be doing the same to us a few years down the line - but as stated, this is a life-altering move that will change his life for good, so you can see why, from his POV it’s a necessary step.

Leaving this until the dying embers of the transfer window, in our predicament off the back of last season, was beyond stupid.
I doubt we'd go for timber after this, I wasn't convinced by him anyway.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Wow ... Consider me sold.

I've not watched him, and have intentionally avoided watching any clips until we actually get the player. However, if he has the attributes you've just described, he definitely sounds like someone we could use
Sure it's a risk signing from Eredivisie, but I hope after Monday we see that good players are good players especially if they are purposely selected for their qualities.

I don't think there is any better forward available for United with that profile. I'd love Sane, Gnabry, Dembele, Leao etc to join, but that's just not happening.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I thought we were supposed to be headed towards *less* being taken advantage of in the transfer market. If we sign Antony for €100m we will have unraveled whatever progress we made on that, and make things worse than ever.

Getting rinsed for Martinez was bad enough. Now we've gone from a mooted 50-60m price for Antony, to 80m, to 100m... They've moved the goalposts again and we're giving in.

For €100m there has got to be a better attacker to be signed from somewhere in this world.
When you leave it late in the window, all the leverage is with the selling club unfortunately

Enigma_87

You know who
He was, but if Ajax never got Antony and sold Neres sooner, he would probably have gone for a lot more.
Any idea why he was sold for so little? I mean was he declining in his development or purely Antony coming? 15m seems like a great deal for someone who was very highly rated and still very young.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading

They’re moving the goalposts because Murtough is dithering and the close it gets to the deadline, the less that Ajax want to sell. It’s quite simple actually.

Ajax don’t exist to be bent over a barrel every time Manchester United come along.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Van Der Sar: “I am altering the deal, pray I do not alter it any further...”

ETH86

Supports
Ajax
Man I hope it will be €90 million+ and we get Ziyech. If we only get the money for Antony, we really need a winger. But signing Ziyech, I would be very very happy.

DonnyCostsAlotOfMoney

Supports
Ajax
Ajax fans-

Neres 100% higher. Dude looks like he smokes daily. His nickname was 'skaffa' which translates as 'super high'. Just google him and check his eyes

When it comes to skills on the pitch I rate Antony higher then Neres in 2018/2019. Neres after that semi final CL season wasn't much anymore. Somehow he lost it. Ajax refused a 50m offer for him in 2019. Selling him for 15m only is one of these things that is often mentioned as a reason to sell Antony now

Neres seemed like a very likable dude while Antony is a bit of cnut

I love Neres. Hoep he is getting back on his game at Benfica

mobmob

"Around" £84.15 million that seems pretty exact haha, just say around 100 million euros.....

Adamsk7

I don’t see why we’d come back in with an even higher bid. He wants to come, so much so that he isn’t playing, and they are getting a replacement already. I’d consider adding say £8m bonuses but we should keep the £67m (€80m) initial fee the same.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t see why we’d come back in with an even higher bid. He wants to come, so much so that he isn’t playing, and they are getting a replacement already. I’d consider adding say £8m bonuses but we should keep the £67m (€80m) initial fee the same.
I think we will restructure the deal and they’ll accept it

Chief123

If we do get Antony and Gakpo in, that will give us a nice pool of fluid, athletic forwards. Has to be the fastest in the league. I prefer this fluid approach than having a typical no.9 striker like Ronaldo.

Martial
Sancho
Rashford
Antony
Gakpo
Elanga

That’s a tasty pool to choose from. Expecting Ronaldo to be gone. If ETH can get the best out of Sancho and Rashford, that’s the potential to be one of the best front lines.

MrSingh2002

If we had a better alternative or Neymar was available I'd say walk away.

But we can't cos we're idiots and we can't identify a better alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.