Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Guys, we tried. They just didn't want to sell....
They obviously do otherwise they wouldn't be trying to sign Ziyech.

Have patience, Chelsea will compromise. They don't keep unhappy/underperforming players.

Bondi77

The root cause is always the Glazers. Until they go and the right type of ownership comes in and appoints the right people for the jobs, we'll always overpay for targets in transfer fees and salaries, and not get a thing in return when we try and sell players.

Rangnick was the only hope so far of changing it but the Glazers didn't want what came with it. They didn't want to make 8, 9 or 10 signings and the proof is in the pudding as they've only made 4 signings with a possible one or two more left in the window.
Why would we pay less under different ownership?
The only way is having a top scouting system and identifying players at a young age but a huge part of the fanbase do not have the patience for that.

Bondi77

We are 100% in agreement with the bolded part.

Thing is, a house could be just a normal house to you, but for me it carries special value. So I will offer more. That doesn't make me an idiot. I just want it more. You cannot judge the other buyer, because you have no idea what the motivation is behind the purchase. So to say "an investigation needs to be launched" is just a bit silly, imo. Anyway, all good ;)
No worries buddy :)

captaincantona

We did, but Ajax always asked for £70-90m which we obviously said was too much at that point.

Unfortunately they haven't backed down so we are in the same situation.
That was my point…we did the same with Maguire and we’re scrambling back then as well. The whole world knows we pay up…so it’s just a waste of time. Fair enough if it’s an ancillary signing - but we lost Cavani, Jesse and Greenwood with Ronny having one foot out the door, Martial was out on loan looking like his career was finished. An attacker was essential at the end of last season…so if Antony was our prime attacking target, which it appears he was, groundwork should have been done bloody months ago and the fee paid or we move to our next target.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
That was my point…we did the same with Maguire and we’re scrambling back then as well. The whole world knows we pay up…so it’s just a waste of time. Fair enough if it’s an ancillary signing - but we lost Cavani, Jesse and Greenwood with Ronny having one foot out the door, Martial was out on loan looking like his career was finished. An attacker was essential at the end of last season…so if Antony was our prime attacking target, which it appears he was, groundwork should have been done bloody months ago and the fee paid or we move to our next target.
Yeah we are very novice in the way we go about transfers.

troylocker

I'm really not sold on this guy.
He looked great against Dortmund last season I'll admit, but Schultz and Wolf made it easy for him to shine. He's put up no more than "good" numbers in Holland. Compare his numbers to Tadic or Ziyech (Who player RW at Ajax before him) and he looks nothing special. Ziyech cost Chelsea 36M, and you'll have a tough case convincing anyone he's done well there. Antony has not done nearly enough to justify the pricetags mentioned in this thread and is far from a safe bet.

....and what's up with the gangsta/drugdealer-look? You'd almost expect to find a knife or a gun on him.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
I'm really not sold on this guy.
He looked great against Dortmund last season I'll admit, but Schultz and Wolf made it easy for him to shine. He's put up no more than "good" numbers in Holland. Compare his numbers to Tadic or Ziyech (Who player RW at Ajax before him) and he looks really nothing special. Ziyech cost Chelsea 36M, and you'll have a tough case convincing anyone he's done well there. Antony has not done nearly enough to justify the pricetags mentioned in this thread and is far from a safe bet.

....and what's up with the gangsta/drugdealer-look? You'd almost expect to find a knife or a gun on him.
Mejbri approves

Marcus

If he has handed in a transfer request, this usually results in some savings for the selling club (in terms of loyalty bonuses owed)? Maybe that will facilitate the transfer? Whether or not he is worth it is something we won't know until he comes to United.

Kostov

The root cause is always the Glazers. Until they go and the right type of ownership comes in and appoints the right people for the jobs, we'll always overpay for targets in transfer fees and salaries, and not get a thing in return when we try and sell players.

Rangnick was the only hope so far of changing it but the Glazers didn't want what came with it. They didn't want to make 8, 9 or 10 signings and the proof is in the pudding as they've only made 4 signings with a possible one or two more left in the window.
Rangnick spoke sense and I agree I think he would have wanted things done differently. Overpaying is an issue that even on here many question as a serious problem. Look at our spending, we are the second biggest spenders of the summer and how many players have we bought and how many holes have we patched that needed repairing?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
For the Ajax fans who see Antony regularly. What aspect of his game frustrates you, could be technical, physical, tactical or maybe attitude flaw.
@AjaxCunian

Where would he need to take big steps to become an elite wideman.
None really. Maybe he exchanges super matches with some poorer ones, but who doesn't?

AussieDevil

A team with Antony and Sancho down either flank is pure filth, proper street ballers. It is made for the Theatre of dreams.

OmarUnited4ever

He surely has the potential, but the fee is really prohibitive and the media will constantly mention it every time he underperforms in United shirt and it will just add pressure on the player, hopefully he just focuses on his game and work hard to improve and hone his overall game.

DonnyCostsAlotOfMoney

Supports
Ajax
For the Ajax fans who see Antony regularly. What aspect of his game frustrates you, could be technical, physical, tactical or maybe attitude flaw.
@AjaxCunian

Where would he need to take big steps to become an elite wideman.
- He is complete cnut on the field. Tends do dive quite a lot which wont go well in PL. Typically the type of player opponents love to hate.
- He could have picked up a few red cards with his behaviour
- He can be invisible in certain games but tends to shine in big games
- He is a showman but the stuff he does has a function. He often controls long balls with his right foot from behind (look spectacular and cokcy) but it's effective as the bal is on left foot after he controls it. He must have done this 15 times last year and it never failed
- He can obviously work on his goals and assists.
- He has a great pass though but 100% lefty.
- He is not selfish and has a really good eye for his team mates. At Ajax mazraoui would come in or outside all the time (like really all the time) and they had a great connection. The lack of a quality attacking right back might hurt a lot
- When he arrived at Ajax there was Neres who was his buddy. Ajax also has a former Brasilian Ajax player who works at the club to help them settle etc. Ajax even had a song made by some local rappers to welcome him (was even a small spotify hit). I don't know how Man Utd deals with this. If he is just dropped of in front of a hotel and told to arrive at 0800 at the club while the press is stalking him it might be difficult to feel at home. Don't forget he is just a 22y old kid from a favela who is undergoing one of the biggest transfer sagas of the season

I think the biggest question is if he can step up to PL levels and be consistent. I have serious doubts if he is coming in at this fee, with this pressure in a non- functioning team/ club. Pressure compared to Ajax is x100. Ajax is in an upbeat vibe with a lot of easy wins. When (Ok, ok, if) we beat Liverpool this CL campaign it's party time and we play some midgets the weekend after. At Man Utd you play Chelsea on Wednesday, Arsenal on Sunday and it's a semi rest day when you play RB Salzburg for the UEFA cup. If he doesnt perform for 2 games therer are 8 pundits and 10 tabloids who love to write him down..

Reactions: 2cents

Tarrou

Agency theory. More money that goes into players => less money to distribute as dividends to the Glazers. Right now, they're taking 20-30m a year out of the club. This aspect will be cut out. There is cash leaking out of the club irrespective. It's a choice of that going into players to develop the club vs going into Glazer pockets.
well that is horseshit obviously

all I have to say on the matter is feck the glazers

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
So he's the perfect footballer?
The other poster mentioned a few things but he doesnt have huge parts of his game that frustrate me. Does he have things he can work on, surely!

I think the diving, cnutish behaviour isnt that crazily bad to frustrate me. Maybe it frustrates opponents, but opponents would also be frustrated by what Martinez did to Salah or Bruno when Salah scored. I think we need that.

Laurencio

- He is complete cnut on the field. Tends do dive quite a lot which wont go well in PL. Typically the type of player opponents love to hate.
- He is a showman but the stuff he does has a function. He often controls long balls with his right foot from behind (look spectacular and cokcy) but it's effective as the bal is on left foot after he controls it. He must have done this 15 times last year and it never failed
- He is not selfish and has a really good eye for his team mates. At Ajax mazraoui would come in or outside all the time (like really all the time) and they had a great connection. The lack of a quality attacking right back might hurt a lot
- When he arrived at Ajax there was Neres who was his buddy. Ajax also has a former Brasilian Ajax player who works at the club to help them settle etc. Ajax even had a song made by some local rappers to welcome him (was even a small spotify hit). I don't know how Man Utd deals with this. If he is just dropped of in front of a hotel and told to arrive at 0800 at the club while the press is stalking him it might be difficult to feel at home. Don't forget he is just a 22y old kid from a favela who is undergoing one of the biggest transfer sagas of the season

I think the biggest question is if he can step up to PL levels and be consistent. I have serious doubts if he is coming in at this fee, with this pressure in a non- functioning team/ club. Pressure compared to Ajax is x100. Ajax is in an upbeat vibe with a lot of easy wins. When (Ok, ok, if) we beat Liverpool this CL campaign it's party time and we play some midgets the weekend after. At Man Utd you play Chelsea on Wednesday, Arsenal on Sunday and it's a semi rest day when you play RB Salzburg for the UEFA cup. If he doesnt perform for 2 games therer are 8 pundits and 10 tabloids who love to write him down..
Souness is already preparing a post-game speech about how he should just get on with the game, play the simple pass and do the basics right.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Redcafe only accepts wingers who score 20+ goals per season with 30+ assists.

because stats are everything.

Fifa and FM really ruined everything.

sugar_kane

He surely has the potential, but the fee is really prohibitive and the media will constantly mention it every time he underperforms in United shirt and it will just add pressure on the player, hopefully he just focuses on his game and work hard to improve and hone his overall game.
This is why the “it’s not my money” argument is short sighted - crazy transfer fees bring with them additional pressure on not just the player but the whole squad and the manager.

He needs to be able to back it up early on, otherwise it will just feed into the overall toxicity of the club which we’re supposedly working to eradicate.

I guarantee if we’d signed Maguire for £40 million he’d have been a better player for us and our defence as a whole would be better - because he wouldn’t have that additional pressuren on him week in week out. I expect as well the dressing room mood would be slightly better as he isn’t perceived as this “big signing” who isn’t worth the money.

Trex

Him stepping up in big games, would that be due to the spaces bigger side leave behind like we see with Rashford or is it his attitude towards small games.
The other poster mentioned a few things but he doesnt have huge parts of his game that frustrate me. Does he have things he can work on, surely!

I think the diving, cnutish behaviour isnt that crazily bad to frustrate me. Maybe it frustrates opponents, but opponents would also be frustrated by what Martinez did to Salah or Bruno when Salah scored. I think we need that.
Okay thanks for the response.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
A team with Antony and Sancho down either flank is pure filth, proper street ballers. It is made for the Theatre of dreams.
That would be great. I'd still say they need runners (especially from fullback) and a strong CF to play with, but still, it's the makings of a brilliant attack.

cyberman

Alvarez and Laimer? How much was Nkunku before his contract renewal? Forgot if he had a release clause. To be fair I don't know his full list of targets, but it would be foolish to think his directory was limited to 3-4 names.
The kid that went to Madrid for 100m was another one. We were seeing quotes of 80m for Nkunku. Vlaovich (spelling) was 70m! And this man was saying we needed to sign 10 players last summer .
His playing to the gallery was ridiculous

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I think we should leave it and go back next summer.
ETH project is a long term thing hopefully

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The kid that went to Madrid for 100m was another one. We were seeing quotes of 80m for Nkunku. Vlaovich (spelling) was 70m! And this man was saying we needed to sign 10 players last summer .
His playing to the gallery was ridiculous
I dont think these were firm targets for Rangnick in the summer. It was when he asked for January signings, the club said it wasn't possible, and he pointed to Juventus and City getting deals done whilst United were sitting twiddling their thumbs.

Also that kid that went to Madrid was wanted by everyone. Rangnick more than likely had a heavy directory of hidden gems that was never leveraged. It's his forte.

Status
Not open for further replies.