Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
No, Ajax wouldn't have signed him on a 2 year contract. They're not going to pay £20 million to lose him on a free in 2 years.

That's the whole reason why they would have agreed on a 2 year project but a 5 year contract. Once the 2 years they agreed on is fulfilled they get to sell him for a high profit which is exactly how it all played out until they decided to go against the last part today and why he is rightly fuming.

Ajax can do whatever they want and I hate it when people say the selling club should do this or that because they think it's a good price (a good price to the buyer doesn't mean it's a good price to the seller) but they can't be mad or surprised if Anthony becomes a big problem for them now.

He's also not, just gaining some value, this will probably be his peak.

He might not see much game time at the world cup seeing as though his competition his Raphinia who now plays for Barcelona (we all know there is a bias for players that play at the best clubs). He won't be playing under Ten Hag (as well as being miserable) so there is a chance Ajax is football isn't as good making the players look less attractive. Utd won't be anywhere near as desperate to buy him next year as they will have played a season and he will also be another year older which also diminishes value even though he would still be young.

Even if he rips up the dutch league this season there isn't really a big club other than Utd that would pay close to this fee for a 23 year old attacker from the Dutch league.

I was ok with them keeping him as I was sympathetic to their situation but if what Anthony says is true they are being greedy and doing it at the expense of Anthony.
Agreed

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yeah but they have a lot of options these days. Ajax don’t have a sacred right to these players and if they treat the best ones like this, they won’t get the best ones any more.
Like who? I'm obviously not as attuned with football as many on here but who else was in for Anthony when Ajax bought him? And especially who else with the range of things they offer ( good league / regular CL/trophies /regular progression to richer clubs including (yes whisper it) even this summer and even the club we're talking about now)?

There's a reason clubs like Ajax and Dortmund and Porto etc tend to get these types of players. It's a mixture of things but the route to first team football, good salary, chance for trophies, CL and an excellent scouting system is actually not that easy to replicate.

Who said Ajax have a sacred right to anyone?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What’s all this ‘xxxx FC’ nonsense about?

I swear the average age of this place keeps dropping.

Embarrassing.
Naw, naw. No need to be agist :) I am no spring chicken myself, but pretty sure people of all ages can say juvenile shit. For all we know, he is a 75yo grumpy grandpa

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've no idea what you're on about here. You don't know why his agents inserted that clause, and can only speculate as I have in that very post (if you've read it, that is) given the clause structure, not its presence.

Again ... what's the issue? The clause is there to allow him to leave irrespective of whatever fickleness runs through his club when a bid comes in. Which is what I said may happen for other talents looking at the Antony situation. And may have actually happened to Haaland given that he didn't have a release clause in his RB Salzburg contract prior to moving to Dortmund.
But the very fundamental point you made is that Haaland only put in a clause with Dortmund because of how tshey'dacted previously letting other talents go.

I responded by saying that he also wanted one work Man Utd and also has one with Man City, to which you're now saying we can only speculate as to why his agents may want to put in a release clause. Seems to be there's only one motivation to put in a release clause for me, regardless of whether they end up exercising it or not.

Edit: Haaland also had a release at Salzburg.

marcus agrippa

But the very fundamental point you made is that Haaland only put in a clause with Dortmund because of how tshey'dacted previously letting other talents go.

I responded by saying that he also wanted one work Man Utd and also has one with Man City, to which you're now saying we can only speculate as to why his agents may want to put in a release clause. Seems to be there's only one motivation to put in a release clause for me, regardless of whether they end up exercising it or not.

I brought up the Haaland point as speculation. I've since learnt that he's done it from the jump, back even in his RB Salzburg days. But then Raiola has always looked after his clients.

That doesn't change the point I was making, though: a young player, looking to manage his career, would be well-advised to insist on one in his first contract. That does away with gentleman's agreements, but potentially leaves the selling club at a disadvantage if the player's market price at time of activation is above the clause value. This is what Ajax are opening themselves up to.

All the Haaland stuff is irrelevant, and I probably shouldn't have even run with it.

WPMUFC

Hes got a point to be fair
how does he have a point? I vent frustration at the fee increasing even though Antony is doing more and more to force a move. The reason said fee is increasing is down to our utter incompetence and leaving this so late. By continuing to increase our offer, we just reinforce our biggest flaws over the previous/last few transfer windows. We put unwarranted pressure on "prospect" signings, we signal to other clubs that holding out can almost guarantee a doubling of transfer fees, we now make the player impossible to sell if he fails (adding to the loan/run contract down list) and all of that is met with "who do you support". And the only thing that rustles @TheReligion is that i respond to BS posts with BS.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Well I mean yeah but he was arguably the best striker on the planet that season. He didn't reach that level in 17/18, 18/19 or 19/20 and he wasn't pushing for a move any of those seasons either so what's the link?

My point about Modric is that the season before that, he went on strike, was crying about a gentleman's agreement with Levy, about how a Chelsea (who'd put in a 35 million pound bid) were the only club he ever wanted to play for and we said no (mostly because it was Chelsea). After a few weeks of strop into thseason, he buckled down, had one of his best seasons and then got his move to an infinitely superior club to Chelsea thr season after.

Rooney put in a transfer request, said the club wasn't showing enough ambition and demanded to go to your cross city rivals. I'd say that was pretty nuclear.

Tevez demanded a move and from memory refused to even come back to the UK? Didn't do too badly once he eventually did come back.

I'm not saying that some players don't get their moves when they throw a strop. I'm challenging the narrative peddled on here that if a player is denied his move, he totally gives up and downs tools for the next season. Which....Just isn't true.
Modric was one of the best midfielders in one of the best leagues in the world and even at the time everyone considered the fee that he went for to Real as a great deal. He threw a fit in 2011? 10 months later he was sold and he was coveted by many teams at the time.

Rooney as you said put in a transfer request for another reason compared to Antony altogether.

Tevez demanded a move at the end of 2010. He was brought in for British record for around 50m from memories. The next season he played like 15 games because he was suspended for his acting up against Bayern. 2012 sold to Juve for 10m or something?

Ndombele handed in two transfer request from memories. How is it going with once your record transfer nowadays?

Di Maria wanted out of United and his form dropped off a cliff as soon as that happened.

Now to the point. Antony is by far not a finished article like Kane, Modric or all of your examples. He's someone that can easily go Neres route that was sold for 15m EUR in a year time, because his form dips, doesn't want to play is a trouble in the dressing room or gets injured.

Ajax don't generate crazy amount of money playing in the Eredivisie, they are a selling club and it is what it is. Of course they are ran well and generate a profit, but it's not that easy to replace players that are hits (Antony for example) and they usually receive a lot more than they spend. Missing out on cashing in on a potential 100m asset is a very risky business considering also they are in rebuild phase this year - lost ETH along with many key players and they are far from dominant side winning the league 3 times since 2015.

So far they have started well, but this can also blow in their face pretty fast - Antony is their best player currently and clearly not happy. His value will decrease. His form might dip or play for himself or don't want to play at all. Come next year they might be without CL football (as Feyenord and PSV will probably also finish strong), without 100m offer on him to bank on with an unrest in the dressing room.

If we're talking about WC. Rafinha guaranteed a La liga transfer where he will start at the highest stage and if Antony doesn't get a transfer how will his chances improve at Ajax even if he forgets the transfer request and play well?

colombianmancunian

Glad to see the board backing ETH... But this needed to be made sooner, a player like Antony will take time to get accostumed to a new team and league. I hope he takes little time to adapt, but would have been awesome for him to be part of the team at preseason.

OrcaFat

Like who? I'm obviously not as attuned with football as many on here but who else was in for Anthony when Ajax bought him? And especially who else with the range of things they offer ( good league / regular CL/trophies /regular progression to richer clubs including (yes whisper it) even this summer and even the club we're talking about now)?

There's a reason clubs like Ajax and Dortmund and Porto etc tend to get these types of players. It's a mixture of things but the route to first team football, good salary, chance for trophies, CL and an excellent scouting system is actually not that easy to replicate.

Figure of speech. What I mean is they can’t take it for granted. Ajax have plenty going for them of course but this is not a good look. I have no idea who was in for Antony but he didn’t come from nowhere he was a known player at a big Brazilian club.

Banana Republic

only mufc can put in a 90m+ bid for a player on strike and get it rejected. And now after the player has spat in the face of said club in a public interview.....we are going to have to bid even more, likely go over 100m to get this done :lol:

Banter FC
Why do we necessarily have to bid more?
It's ridiculous that we are offering anything near what we've supposed to have bid...probably double what the player is worth.
A line needs to be drawn under this.
Lower the offer with a take it or leave bid and be perfectly prepared to walk away.
Do Ajax want to be left with an unhappy player, they could of cashed in on?

If we offer an even higher figure, other clubs will continue to pull our pants down and will ramp up the stakes even higher in future transfer windows.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ajax are not some small, poor, development club. They are a big club with ambitions. Yes, ultimately they are a stepping stone - but it doesn't mean they can be stepped on. They have their own plans.
They have their own plans but these players like Antony - as he literally said - sign for them on the basis of it being a 2 year plan and then moving on. If Ajax then start blocking their moves, the next Antony will simply go to RB Leipzig or Dortmund or wherever else. That's ultimately what the problem is. Ajax boosted their stature so much the past 5 years partly because of their model of moving players on for fair prices when they want to leave, and the wheel turns for them. Them blocking Antony now goes against that, and will tell future prospects to either ensure a much more affordable release clause, or just pick elsewhere.

Enigma_87

You know who

Let's not get overboard here.

Ajax got the following players from SA in the last 15 years:
Lisandro Magallán - utter failure
Darío Cvitanich - a little less of a failure, but failure none the less.
Nicolás Lodeiro - shite
David Neres - hit, but yet sold for very little of a resale value and on a loss
Mateo Cassierra - shite
Davinson Sánchez - hit
Luis Orejuela - shite
Nicolás Tagliafico - hit, sold for a little of a resale value.
Lisandro Martínez - hit - big resale value.

Antony was brought in for close to 16m EUR which in terms of value was one of the highest fee paid by Ajax in the last 20 years on a player.

Looking at the list they had probably 1/3 of those brought in from SA that are a hit and Sanchez and Martinez brought in a substantial resale value in the last 15 years.

One of the reason Martinez brought it is because ETH became our manager as I don't see anyone but United paying that kind of money for him this window (not necessarily meaning he is a bad business).

Arsenal were into him supposedly before moving to Ajax:
http://www.thehardtackle.com/news/2...nal-ajax-tracking-sao-paulo-youngster-antony/

So yeah considering the hit rate and if Ajax decide to prove a point by benching him/sending him to the reserves there's a good chance a flair player that also will attract offers from other European clubs, to pass on that Ajax option in the future.

Whilst Antony is on a three year contract he holds the cards more than Ajax as killing a 80-90m profit is something not a sane business person would do to prove a point.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ajax will sell.

Next offer they'll accept.

That interview was the nail in the coffin. Can't see any self respectable club keep a player after that and despite many posters on here claiming the contrary, Ajax are a respectable club.
The cynic in me says there's a possibility that Antony has to make it look like Ajax had no choice after their hard stance, and they've requested him to go public. Otherwise it's a pretty suicidal move by him, as they may legitimately be taking the stance that they just will not sell, no matter what.

RedStarUnited

I only see one party crying right now though. And Ajax didn't sign a 5-year contract two years ago then now came out to say "it was a 2-year project" either.

Would you feel any sympathy for Ajax if it was the other way around and they wanted to cut him off straight away right now?
So many people say this and dont realise how wrong they are. If he signed a 2 year contract he would be going for free so he actually does Ajax a favour by signing a contract and saying I only want to be here 2 years and you let me go when a high bid comes in. Ajax get to use him and build him for 2 years and in return get a huge profit. Should be a win win…

RuudTom83

He could be suffering from being near the back of the queue for the exit door.

The more players that leave, that little bit harder it makes it for the next one.

Also with every sale Ajax’s accounts get fatter and fatter…making the need for more sales less and less.

AttackAttackAttack

Modric was one of the best midfielders in one of the best leagues in the world and even at the time everyone considered the fee that he went for to Real as a great deal. He threw a fit in 2011? 10 months later he was sold and he was coveted by many teams at the time.

Rooney as you said put in a transfer request for another reason compared to Antony altogether.

Tevez demanded a move at the end of 2010. He was brought in for British record for around 50m from memories. The next season he played like 15 games because he was suspended for his acting up against Bayern. 2012 sold to Juve for 10m or something?

Ndombele handed in two transfer request from memories. How is it going with once your record transfer nowadays?

Di Maria wanted out of United and his form dropped off a cliff as soon as that happened.

Now to the point. Antony is by far not a finished article like Kane, Modric or all of your examples. He's someone that can easily go Neres route that was sold for 15m EUR in a year time, because his form dips, doesn't want to play is a trouble in the dressing room or gets injured.

Ajax don't generate crazy amount of money playing in the Eredivisie, they are a selling club and it is what it is. Of course they are ran well and generate a profit, but it's not that easy to replace players that are hits (Antony for example) and they usually receive a lot more than they spend. Missing out on cashing in on a potential 100m asset is a very risky business considering also they are in rebuild phase this year - lost ETH along with many key players and they are far from dominant side winning the league 3 times since 2015.

So far they have started well, but this can also blow in their face pretty fast - Antony is their best player currently and clearly not happy. His value will decrease. His form might dip or play for himself or don't want to play at all. Come next year they might be without CL football (as Feyenord and PSV will probably also finish strong), without 100m offer on him to bank on with an unrest in the dressing room.

If we're talking about WC. Rafinha guaranteed a La liga transfer where he will start at the highest stage and if Antony doesn't get a transfer how will his chances improve at Ajax even if he forgets the transfer request and play well?
Very good point, with Raphina playing in La Liga, I do not see Antony getting a starting spot at the WC unless he moves to a stronger League, no matter how well he plays. I can see this year being a disaster for him and Ajax if the move does not materialize.

Last edited:

The1974s

United are still an absolute shambles at transfers, we may have new guys doing it but it's still the same old shitshow and ETH is getting a front show seat to it .
I can't see any other reason for 10 years of transfer blunders than the owners who are pulling the strings and using the puppets employed by them to front it .

Antony for anywhere near 90 million is a laugh as is Casemiro for 60 million.. They have learnt nothing from their Maguire and AWB dealings and anyone who doesn't learn from their mistakes should be labelled an idiot and that's what we have running our club..

Enigma_87

You know who
He could be suffering from being near the back of the queue for the exit door.

The more players that leave, that little bit harder it makes it for the next one.

Also with every sale Ajax’s accounts get fatter and fatter…making the need for more sales less and less.
They've already spent circa 100m EUR this window alone. The year after they sold FdJ and De Ligt among others(generating 150m net profit from sales) they went on to sell DvB, Ziyech and Serginho for 100m. There isn't really a correlation and they can't keep long their star players if a big offer comes.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Blaming Ajax is silly. Our ire should be directed at our useless DoF and CEO. How come it's our club at the centre of these sagas so often? Boring.
Honestly this. fecking idiots wasted 3 whole months doing feck all. Joyriding across Europe looking like utter fools without anything to show for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.