Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaffs

They can because they know Antony has the World Cup coming up. They know he won’t continue to miss matches once the window closes because he really wants to make the NT squad.

They have previous for rejecting a record bid and then selling for less — see David Neres
Im glad we didnt end up with him for 55mil.

Castia

We should walk now and call their bluff. No way will they go into the season with a seriously unhappy player and risk 90m.
Its a World Cup season though and Antony will want to play for Brazil

He will have to settle down when the window closes.

croadyman

We need this so badly. I am praying that the Liverpool win and the grind to hold on today won’t convince the board to just trust Rashford and Martial once again. We need two proper attackers in the next few days.

We need to back ETH and give him a proper chance. Having to play Rashford/Elanga today is a serious handicap.
So RW and number 9

Alemar

Today’s game showed how much Antony is needed. Elanga as a starter is not good enough, so to speak, we need more able attackers.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Today’s game showed how much Antony is needed. Elanga as a starter is not good enough, so to speak, we need more able attackers.
Agreed, although I think there's a decent argument that Antony alone isn't enough. We are desperate for a striker too.

Shark

@NotShark
He was always needed. The cluelessness in here really is staggering. Elanga is nowhere close to being good enough.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
memphis and antony would make such a big difference in the depth and quality.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
He was always needed. The cluelessness in here really is staggering. Elanga is nowhere close to being good enough.
Even if you look at other premier league clubs, you'd find it very hard to start Elanga ahead of any of their players. Championship quality at best right now.

It would be a massive shame not to get Antony because he costs 100m if we were ready to bid 90m. He genuinely wants to be here and that is very rare for players these days.

OrcaFat

I think Ajax wins. If Antony plays.
He’d be too miserable! But I don’t think he’s quite enough of an advantage over seven games. Before we got ETH, Martinez and Casemiro, yes, but not now.

I mean, over seven games, Ajax wins one or two of the first three, after that draws and Utd wins, imo.

We could still meet Ajax in the Europa, which would be a lot of fun and a good match up. By then I believe we will be a tough side to beat.

Mr PG

Its widely accepted that spending £80m on Maguire was a mistake. He's not even in the first 11 now. We've already offered more money for Antony than we spent on Sancho who was proven at a higher level than Antony. Its gone beyond any kind of reasonable price already.
Antony is better than Sancho. Specifically because Sancho lacks strength and stamina he fades during games as you can see.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Including bonusses the transfer cost Ajax 21.75 million euro's which at the time was the highest incoming transfer ever for Ajax. That may be low risk for a premier league club where money grows on trees, but definitely not for Ajax. His old club will also get 20%(?) Of the price that Ajax will sell him on for and I think Neres' tramsfer rights were also involved somehow. Ajax attracts talent, because talent knows that they will get the chance to develop and get the chance to shine in the CL with the added benefit of steamrolling the league. This 1 incident wont change that. Antony will get his chance to move on, but United acted too late and now they don't want to sell.

Now Antony comes out saying he wanted this to be a 2 year project, well in that case he should've asked for a 2 year deal or a buyout clause. He didnt, because he had proven feck all when he came here. Again, I agree Ajax are absolutely mental if they reject this outrageous bid for an unproven and inconsistent player, but Antony should shut the feck up.

God, defending Ajax like this makes me physically ill.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rarely you'll see a Feyenoord fan say sensible things regarding Ajax. :wenger:

You're pretty spot on here. Antony's story or at least the story coming out through Fabrizio Romano is just pure bullshit. It makes no sense at all for Ajax to agree on a 2 year project with Antony. Ajax plans much further ahead than just two years and it makes no sense to spend a record fee (at the time) and all the risks involved with that, to then just agree to let the player go after only two years.

For me it's pretty cleat this whole Romano interview is bullshit and full of lies. Nothing in it makes sense. Not the 2 year project and I also don't buy that he told Ajax he wanted to leave in february. It just doesn't make sense. Ajax would never have been so vocal and clear about keeping Antony if he really had told the club that he absoltely wanted to leave in this summer. This is just Antony trying to force himself out and starting to lie and disrespect the club to get there.

Pretty sure the deal will still get done. Not a clue anymore where this will end though - although I do feel right now that Ajax will at least hold out for a historical €100m fee.

Mr PG

Even if you look at other premier league clubs, you'd find it very hard to start Elanga ahead of any of their players. Championship quality at best right now.

It would be a massive shame not to get Antony because he costs 100m if we were ready to bid 90m. He genuinely wants to be here and that is very rare for players these days.
Elanga is not United quality but is better than he’s playing right now. He played better last season he may just be going through second season syndrome. We will use him till we get better players

Mr PG

Regardless of what happened and didn’t happen… if a player so badly wants to leave and you get a fair offer… you have to sell otherwise you end up looking weak and desperate

Scholsey2004

Antony is better than Sancho. Specifically because Sancho lacks strength and stamina he fades during games as you can see.
Theres just no evidence to support this claim at all. Antony has only played in the Eredivisie which is a far less athletically demanding league. Van de Beek is evidence enough of that, as is Depay.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
This is excactly how Coutinho forced Liverpools hand when Barcelona came calling in 2018 as well. He flat out refused to take part in anything before he was sold. He also submitted a transfer request just like Antony has.

In the end Barcelona paid all the money, and Coutinho immediately started to suck. Just kidding, Barcelona are still paying off that debt.

RuudtheRed

Surprised he hasn't said "It's slavery" for him to stay at Ajax yet. Well, still hopeful he will join us by the deadline to provide our right wing with solid competition

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
We could always have a go for Marcus Edwards at Sporting.
That’s a good shout. Talent-wise he’s very good and his price would be lower. The kind of signing Liverpool would make, someone who has took a knock and built himself back up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Has Ajax ever experienced of keeping player who put a transfer request before? Trust me it's not ideal to keep such an unhappy player as it could affect his performance, which means his price could go down next year or even worse the team's performance and dressing room could be affected by it. 90m euro is lot of money for a player who has put a transfer request, should have just accept it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Great. Now we'll be obligated to meet Ajax's demands and sign him otherwise our relationship will be ruined with him and the club.

Sigh, I guess we'll just have to pay the money and buy a phenomenal right winger...... Sucks being a United fan sometimes....

Strelok

Osmihen/Dembele/Aubameyang?
Tbh at this point I'd take any decent #9 from a mid table team in the PL.
1990s called and asked for you back. You don’t “need” a striker to compete. We need quality forwards and Antony is very good quality.
ETH, Klopp, most of the current head coaches even Pep must be all from the 1990s then.
I get what you’re saying about Sancho…Antony is not at his level…but brings a different threat. Sancho is not impressing because there is no one for him to link with bar maybe Bruno. He is like a different player with Martial. If he had a top striker actually making runs for him and a full back he learned to play with we would see a different player.

it’s balance in the team I suppose and Antony would give us something we don’t have. I would prefer a proper striker but not many of those out there either.
What I mean is even Sancho is struggling to make an impact with our current set up. I don't know who is better but so far there's nothing suggesting Antony is better than Sancho. If anything Sancho is actually much more proven imo.

Winger like Sancho or Antony would really need a proper #9 to play with especially against a low block. Without a proper #9 most of the time they'll be isolated and cut off. It'd be very hard for them to play well.

I didn't say I don't want Antony he seems a very good player but atm imo we simply need a #9 far more.

colombianmancunian

ETH, Klopp, most of the current head coaches even Pep must be all from the 1990s then.

What I mean is even Sancho is struggling to make an impact with our current set up. I don't know who is better but so far there's nothing suggesting Antony is better than Sancho. If anything Sancho is actually much more proven imo.

Winger like Sancho or Antony would really need a proper #9 to play with especially against a low block. Without a proper #9 most of the time they'll be isolated and cut off. It'd be very hard for them to play well.

I didn't say I don't want Antony he seems a very good player but atm imo we simply need a #9 far more.
I know people are currently hating him. But we got a proper striker on CR7.

croadyman

Yeah definitely need Antony and number 9 so surely a move for Dembele/Aubameyang is most obvious move

Status
Not open for further replies.