Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
On a serious note, this was probably one of the main motivations for Ten Hag leaving Ajax. He had to rebuild quite a few squads, top players constantly being taken. Difficult to build a project if it keeps getting dismantled, less likely of that happening over here as he's quite comfortable to bring in his top players over.
That's one thing the other is that it was the right time for ETH to move. Each and every manager (apart from SAF) has a development stage, a period when he's absolutely in his prime and then a decline followed by retirement. It comes a stage in every manager's career (apart from SAF) when the competitive edge he had over other competitors vanishes, his tactics aren't as efficient anymore, his communication with the new generation of players wanes and basically he's nowhere near as effective as he once was. Think of Mourinho as an example. These days he celebrates the Conference league win against Feyenoord as if he won the treble again. He knows that his best years are behind him.

ETH has come out of the development stage and is heading to his prime. He is a year or two away from it and there are still parts of his management that are still not top notch in my opinion but he's certainly one of the finest managers around. He had outgrown Ajax at this point.

JustinC00

Too many pages to read back but wasn't he priced at about £40m when Erik first joined us and we refused to pay up?
Antony wanting only us was known back in June. Back then it was reported Ajax wanted 70m.

Apparently we inquired again in mid/late July after he was over his injury and they had raised it to 90m

90 + 5min

Stupidity. We are giving Ajax money when we could get 3-4 identical players for same money.

Oh well, lets hope he is worth it.

mu4c_20le

Antony wanting only us was known back in June. Back then it was reported Ajax wanted 70m.

Apparently we inquired again in mid/late July after he was over his injury and they had raised it to 90m
Murtough masterclass

drdoityourself

A left footed right winger. Thought those were a myth.
Tricky and has a good work ethic, exactly what this position has needed for years now. No issue about the fee, it's all about Ten Hag identifying his targets and the club doing whatever it can to facilitate that.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Stupidity. We are giving Ajax money when we could get 3-4 identical players for same money.

Oh well, lets hope his is worth it in the end.
Who are the 3-4 identical players to Antony that cost 100 million combined (25 million each?)

Irrational.

I’m convinced he’ll be great for us. Someone who actually was desperate to join us and you can see will give his all. We are the club to raise his level up a few levels.

Bobski

When this link first came out people were saying much of his value was linked to having a really good attacking full back behind, so who is the FB Utd will be looking at, because unless Dalot progresses hugely it can not be him.

VincentNguyen

Great signing. May be it would be around 70-80m only if we get him in June.
His flair and skills in 1v1 are unreal, we rarely have anyone being stably good at that for the past 10 years. He still has a lot time to improve both tactically and physically.
I believe ETH can make him a beast like Vinicius

BuzzKillington

Who are the 3-4 identical players to Antony that cost 100 million combined (25 million each?)
They don’t exist. He’s been asked this question before. I agree with him that we’ve been done on the fee, but it’s not my cash, the manager really wants him and he’s still an exciting player.

Rustyspider13

Here we go! I'm really glad we have a player who can execute the "cut inside and curl one in the corner" shot. Hope he and Dalot quickly find an understanding. Nevertheless Sancho and Antony will attract two players each and that will open up space for others.

Member 101269

i'm not happy how he behaved to get the move. There are plenty around here that is calling Ronnie a "P****". In comparison he's behaved well. I am concerned that this "dream" may turn into a saga. I hope it works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.