Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldyson1uk

I really couldn’t care less how much these guys cost. Seems like a brilliant player, and just what we need. Everyone moans about the glazers taking profits and then moans about them overspending when we have to in order to get the players we want in the same breath.
I don't care about the fee, but feel that a fee that big could affect the player.

crossy1686

career ending
Garnacho will leave anyways. His contracts up next summer.

Amad and Pellistri on the loan farm from January
Yeah I heard Juventus are knocking for him, Pellistri's already out on loan but Amad is still around. Might be best to sell him on if he isn't going to feature at all now.

The midfield general

For feck sake some of you moan when we do not spend money,then you moan again when we do.We have at last got a good manager who is willing to make the big calls and it looks like the board is backing him all the way.I seen an earlier post someone was moaning because we are not selling players.The club was in a real mess,Woodward and co buying players at big money and issuing contracts to existing players in the hope that he could some day sell them.None of the players we have signed in the past have been any good, and as a consequence no one would pay big money for the likes of McGuire,shaw,Rashy etc.It”s going to take time to either clear out the dead wood or let there contract run down.I think we have had a great summer transfer wise so far,long may it continue.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Absolutely bonkers money for a player most Ajax fans don't seem to rate that highly (i.e. as a world-class player in the making) but he certainly seems like a player to get you out of your seat. Excited to see him play.
Eric rates him so that's enough for me.

Still wish we didn't overpay this much.

Jev

They also said we over paid for Martinez, looking at how quickly he's settled and the quality he's shown, I'd say it was a good fee.
I'm happy with his start but that's way too early to conclude. They know him better than we do.

always_hoping

Price tag is on the clueless owners who have appointed business men to deal with the transfers at this club. Jim Ratcliffe declaring an interest has kicked them into action though with this and Casemiro signings.

Tragically Hip

I really couldn’t care less how much these guys cost. Seems like a brilliant player, and just what we need. Everyone moans about the glazers taking profits and then moans about them overspending when we have to in order to get the players we want in the same breath.
My thoughts exactly. I’d just add that I think Antony is proud to be so expensive based on his recent interview, so I don’t see the price tag affecting him whatsoever.

RedMilo

Absolutely mental money. He needs time to adapt, with that fee, the pressure will be on from day one. I hope the lad does well

Interesting report I read earlier saying we had made an enquiry for Hakimi who in theory should work well with this chap on the right.

Bole Top

is he at least better than Ziyech when he was coming to Chelsea/EPL? crazy fee.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
What does this mean for Amad, Pellistri, Elanga and Garnacho then? Expecting a flurry of sales to happen soon.
I expect flurry of sales as well, and would not be bothered at all - except Garnacho. Amad, Pellestri and Elanga always seemed like the kind of players that come and go, we've had plenty of them.
Elanga might stay, or send him on loan. Garnacho looked by far the most skilled of them so hopefully Erik sees that and gives him a chance every now and then. But I wouldn't expect that to happen soon.

C'est Moi Cantona

Donny, De Jong, De ligt, Ziyech, Martinez, and now Antony, all sold for more than 350 million Euros in the last 3 years, Ajax are the masters, and must be absolutely loaded.

AshRK

We all would, but this is still a gamble and a huge overpay.

Disagree, they have had an amazing summer, got 150 Mill off Utd that will set them up brilliantly for the next few years.
It is a risk but unless Ajax get a better player who can strengthen the squad then footballing wise ajax would hardly benefit from the 200m or whatever.

I don't how good or great Antony will turn out to be but as of now he solves our rw position straight away.

Cole9

That’s a LOT of money. Good luck to him and I hope he’s a success.

It’s hard to get excited by our signings though. They reek of desperation and poor planning.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Quick question to everyone saying we've wasted money. We clearly needed a right winger to come in this summer, so who would you have got instead?

Honest question, not looking to start an argument. Everyone keeps saying we should have gotten someone else but rarely do I see an actual name.

Bobski

It is a risk but unless Ajax get a better player who can strengthen the squad then footballing wise ajax would hardly benefit from the 200m or whatever.

I don't how good or great Antony will turn out to be but as of now he solves our rw position straight away.
They are getting Ziyech back for a cut price who is probably still a better player in many ways. I imagine they will find 2/3 shit hot prospects that Utd will be back in for in a couple of years as well.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Draxler, Juanmi, Kvaratskhelia, Szoboslai. There are lot more. Players that would be easier to get, not cost to much and would give us good attacking alternatives. I really don't like these mega money buys who usually let us down in big way.

As I said, I hope Antony is worth that money. But I'm not jumping from my chair yet.
None of those are comparable in profile to Antony.

Naming Draxler is funny though, good one.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
Quick question to everyone saying we've wasted money. We clearly needed a right winger to come in this summer, so who would you have got instead?

Honest question, not looking to start an argument. Everyone keeps saying we should have gotten someone else but rarely do I see an actual name.
Await the replies where they list every left winger in world football…

reddev3

Hopefully he gets minutes against Leicester. I want him starting against Arsenal.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him start straight away seeing as though he has played under Ten Hag for the past few years.

You also don't have to worry about new attacking players making mistakes due to being in a new league like you do when buying a defender as a mistake/bad game wouldn't really be costly.

IrishRedDevil

Draxler, Juanmi, Kvaratskhelia, Szoboslai. There are lot more. Players that would be easier to get, not cost to much and would give us good attacking alternatives. I really don't like these mega money buys who usually let us down in big way.

As I said, I hope Antony is worth that money. But I'm not jumping from my chair yet.
:lol: go to bed.

TheReligion

Abusive
I wouldn't be surprised to see him start straight away seeing as though he has played under Ten Hag for the past few years.

You also don't have to worry about new attacking players making mistakes due to being in a new league like you do when buying a defender as a mistake/bad game wouldn't really be costly.
He’s not been training remember.

Trequarista10

Rashford dropped then?
Competition is good, Rashford has been starter by default for a few seasons. He wouldn't be in my starting XI at this moment in time, but having a number of rotation and bench options is vital. We play 50+ games a season, with 5 subs permitted per game. Players hit purple patches and rough patches.

For me strongest front four on paper currently:

Martial
Sancho - Bruno - Antony
With Rashford, Garnacho, Elanga, Donny and Ronaldo/Depay providing competition, variation and depth. Diallo too if he isn't loaned out. However none of the starting XI are undroppable - Sancho we think may reach that level but hasn't shown it yet and often looks gassed after 60 minutes. Antony still to prove how he will adapt. Martial injury prone and hasn't had a consistently decent season since 2019/2020. Rashford even if he isn't "first choice" may still rack up 2000-3000 minutes on the pitch this season.

TheReligion

Abusive

Draxler? Are you stuck in 2017

edcunited1878

They have no answer. This was EtH and the club identifying someone of great importance, compounded by the loss of Greenwood.

Trequarista10

To be fair to him, I think he was referring to these players

Daniel James
Adama Traore
Bryan Gil
Callum Hudson-Odoi,
Steven Bergwijn
Christian Pulisic
Nicolas Pepe
Pedro Neto
Ismaila Sarr
Lucas Moura
Allan Saint-Maximin
Leon Bailey
Benrahma
You must be on the wind up, but there is a couple decent players in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.