Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pronewbie

Peep
Interesting how transfer rumours of Rashford and Maguire leaving United surfaced last week. It’s possible those 2 knew that their starting place is under threat. Antony will start regularly with that kind of price tag. Does anyone know what his injury record is like?

Banana Republic

The fee is £77m (€90m) and if all the add-ons kick in, it rises to £84m (€99m).

This sounds like way over the top for a player we may be taking a big risk on.
Let’s hope he’s our new Ronaldo or something close.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Awesome signing, will improve us massively. Have about the same feeling as I have with Martinez regarding the fee, and what he will bring to us. Antony doesn't have major weaknesses in his game for that position I'd even say. Can't wait to see him play for us, hope the constant talk about the fee stops soon.

wormdoktor

For those asking for alternatives, FBref names the following as statistically similar to Antony:

Riyad Mahrez
Ángel Di María
Kingsley Coman
Serge Gnabry
Hakim Ziyech
Leroy Sané
Lorenzo Insigne
Florian Wirtz
Neymar
Ousmane Dembélé

From this list, arguably only Coman, Gnabry and Dembele are "gettable" and high quality (I'm not familiar with Wirtz), and Bayern likely would have fleeced us for them too. ETH's familiarity with Antony puts him at the top of the list, so I think he's the best signing we could have asked for in his position.

IrishRedDevil

For those asking for alternatives, FBref names the following as statistically similar to Antony:

Riyad Mahrez
Ángel Di María
Kingsley Coman
Serge Gnabry
Hakim Ziyech
Leroy Sané
Lorenzo Insigne
Florian Wirtz
Neymar
Ousmane Dembélé

From this list, arguably only Coman, Gnabry and Dembele are "gettable" and high quality (I'm not familiar with Wirtz), and Bayern likely would have fleeced us for them too. ETH's familiarity with Antony puts him at the top of the list, so I think he's the best signing we could have asked for in his position.
Well said.

Green Yellow Red

Which of them is similar in style and ability?
None of them :nono:

After looking at Liverpool & Southampton game, we definitely need a signing like Antony which can add some attacking threat to the front three and to avoid us coming short whenever one of the players gets injured. He will inject some fire upfront the way he plays, he definitely has the X factor and I’m not getting bogged down with the price tag, if we have a player like Antony for the next 5 years then it’s exiting times ahead.

Lets go Murtough. Get FDJ or another creative midfielder of similar caliber and I will start to dream about winning the league this season.

Trophy Room

Huge financial outlay but he seems very determined to be here and make a name for himself. Clearly we have over paid but we'll see. Pressure to perform.

Red_toad

I'm happy with his start but that's way too early to conclude. They know him better than we do.
A fair few of them signed up after he signed for us, lord knows if they really have any knowledge or are opposition fans out trolling. I'd say it's pretty amazing how quickly he's settled, hopefully Antony can do the same, who knows.

Banana Republic

Rashford dropped then?
Elanga is still young (20yrs) and still has development potential.

Rashford will be 25yrs in a couple of months time.
There’s plenty of evidence that he’s probably shown all that he’s got in his bag already and has been struggling to produce consistent form for a long time.

If you’re going to cash-in, which one will fetch the best return?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
This reminds me of the time I left my Christmas shopping until Christmas Eve and ended up spending 100 quid on some hipster perfume for my girlfriend out of desperation.

It fecking stank.

El-Manos

Draxler, Juanmi, Kvaratskhelia, Szoboslai. There are lot more. Players that would be easier to get, not cost to much and would give us good attacking alternatives. I really don't like these mega money buys who usually let us down in big way.

As I said, I hope Antony is worth that money. But I'm not jumping from my chair yet.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Saaaarrrriii

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
This is a signing that really excites me. Sort of winger that is synonymous with the club. FdJ is world-class, but Antony was the one we were linked to early on in the window that I was hoping we'd get.

Yes, we've overpaid due to poor timing but I'm just glad we have him.

A backup GK and a number 9 would make this a very impressive window, albeit handled poorly. Getting the likes of Antony and Casemiro in 4/5 games into the season helps no one.

Andersonson

100m?? Jesus Christ.

Hopefully it aint like the rest of our insane spending transfers (Maguire Sancho ) to get going. Exciting nonetheless!

Green Yellow Red

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Im so "meh" with this transfer. We could have got de Jong and this is what we end up with. £100 million??
Yep, a player with massive potential that already plays to a good level. Exciting. Left footed RW. 4 years younger than FDJ. Was desperate to join....

Ridiculously good signing. FDJ can enjoy failing to reach the hype at Barcelona, as he already has done.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Rashford dropped then?
Elanga is still young (20yrs) and still has development potential.

Rashford will be 25yrs in a couple of months time.
There’s plenty of evidence that he’s probably shown all that he’s got in his bag already and has been struggling to produce consistent form for a long time.

If you’re going to cash-in, which one will fetch the best return?
Antony has little effect on Rashford, other than maybe shifting Sancho to left as a competition for Rashford. Rashford plays on left wing, Antony is a right-winger, very valuable left-footed right-winger at that (so extremely unlikely to play him elsewhere).

On the right wing our star was supposed to be Sancho. It will be extremely weird if we bench Sancho. More likely - Ten Hag will continue playing him on the left, as he has been, now that Rashford has been starting in a striker role. Sancho on the left is considered to be highly non-ideal but has been done in the past. Definitely less horrible than playing Rashford as striker, who is definitely not a good striker and will never be.

Overall - it is very unclear why a winger was a priority over a striker, given that Ronaldo is leaving (or unable to play anymore). The only explanation is - Ten Hag loves Antony expects to get a lot of goals from him and the attitude and winning mentality missing from our squad, so striker problem be damned. Which... maybe that's the best we can do with our moronic executives, but it would be more acceptable if we signed him for 50M in May. A 100M price tag is a striker price tag, world-class one at that.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Firstly we will not pay €100m or £100m for him. The highest reported bid is around £67m which is exactly where I think he would be priced at given conditions I’ll now outline.

Apologies if this comes across patronising as I promise this is not the intention but let’s simplify this down to the most basic economic conditions of supply and demand.

There is very little supply of left footed RW players on a very good level with either potential or proven ability. So short supply is a factor.

There are absolutely no available world class RW on the market and if they were suddenly why would they join a Europa league side and lose CL football and title chances?

Let’s be real here Mo Salah is probably the only player now who isn’t any kind of risk were you to transfer him to a PL side at RW as a signing (and I’d happily welcome suggestions for alternatives).

Now let’s look into those few available players that are well below that level but could get there you have the following:
  1. Raphinha (who only wanted to move to Barcelona)
  2. Antony
You could argue a few more and I’d be Genuinely interested to hear suggestions but the noises around the likes of Diaby etc haven’t been he’s available and I don’t think he’d suit what we’d need anyway.

So our possibly supply of the required level is possibly 2/3 players (and we’ve already tried the young unproven route via Amad and Pellestri which hasn’t worked out as hoped).

Now let’s look at the demand side. United are bottom of the league, we have lost our most promising left footed attacker because of him being a vile piece of work and we’ve got a new manager wanting to implement a different style to the previous 3/4. So we need attackers who suit a new system who are a RW and left footed. I could give you zero guarantees that Raphinha could work with Ten Hag and I could give you many that Anton

We don’t have a left footed academy player coming through at RW that is really pushing for first team involvement we really desperately need a left footed RW we are incredibly limited as to our attacking options without one as it means we have to push Sancho into a purely creative role with no good alternative. I like Elanga but his game is too limited to be a long term success.

Now let’s look a the cost of not bringing him in. We go into the season with:
Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Garnacho as wingers. Martial and Ronaldo are not nor is Eriksen or Bruno. Does anyone here seriously think that’s enough to get top 4? Let’s be really if we don’t add quality in our forward line we’ll once again be looking Europa at best.

So given all of the above do I think £67m while expensive is a fair price. Yes.

Because there is no one currently on the market better suited to fulfill our needs.
So I was wrong on the price but it doesn’t for me change the rest.

There isn’t a RW left footed better suited on the market for what we need. We’ve got the best man for the job coming through the door. That is progress.

Bratt

This marks the end of Rashford and Elanga as starters.
Elanga - yes
Rashford I think will get plenty of game time. As long as Martial is injured he will be the main man up front imo, and when/if Martial is fit, Rashford will be an alternative as a striker or as a left winger competing with Sancho.

Dobba

Antony has little effect on Rashford, other than maybe shifting Sancho to left as a competition for Rashford. Rashford plays on left wing, Antony is a right-winger, very valuable left-footed right-winger at that (so extremely unlikely to play him elsewhere).

On the right wing our star was supposed to be Sancho. It will be extremely weird if we bench Sancho. More likely - Ten Hag has been playing him on the left, now that Rashford has been starting in a striker role. Sancho on the left is considered to be highly non-ideal but has been done in the past. Definitely less horrible than playing Rashford as striker, who is definitely not a good striker and will never be.

Overall - it is very unclear why a winger was a priority over a striker, given that Ronaldo is leaving (or unable to play anymore). The only explanation is - Ten Hag loves Antony expects to get a lot of goals from him and the attitude and winning mentality missing from our squad, so striker problem be damned. Which... maybe that's the best we can do with our moronic executives, but it would be more acceptable if we signed him for 50M in May. A 100M price tag is a striker price tag, world-class one at that.
Yeah like Dembele, Neymar, Coutinho and Joao Felix.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Garnacho will leave anyways. His contracts up next summer.

Amad and Pellistri on the loan farm from January
Garnacho signed his first professional contract last year when he turned 17. He's got another 3 years left on the 4 year deal he signed last year, and the club are already trying to extend it beyond 2025.

Last edited:

croadyman

Elanga - yes
Rashford I think will get plenty of game time. As long as Martial is injured he will be the main man up front imo, and when/if Martial is fit, Rashford will be an alternative as a striker or as a left winger competing with Sancho.
Garnacho should get Elanga spot

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Wombs too late by then he was well known I watched him as a sperm cell. Great agility and very pacey.

Good finish on him too definitely able to penetrate a low ovarian block.
:lol:

Yeah but could he do it in a fallopian tube on a wet Wednesday night?

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
That price is absolutely crazy.
But we desperately needed another good attacker, hopefully he will make the price worth it in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.