Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He’s a Brazilian international. Comparing him to James is ridiculous.
Way to miss the point. The point was he's a gamble (and no, not in the way every other signing is a gamble) and his fee should reflect that.

Again, he plays in a shit league and isn't exactly banging them in.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Awesome. A left footed right winger who has pace dribbling trickery an eye for a pass and who has worked before in ETHs system. Bring it on.

amolbhatia50k

If we can get a striker with pace and power next year, Sancho and Antony will create chances for fun. And a RB of course.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Who was the last actual left footed right winger we had? Not counting Greenwood, Mata etc who were played out of position or Diallo who hasn’t yet played.

Stadjer

Seems very expensive... always a bit worried when a player goes from our Eredivisie to a big league. It is a big risk. Lets hope Antony is good enough to make it.

Charlie Foley

It’s very hard to judge a 21 year old wingers stats, there’s very few in world football with mind blowing stats at that age. The fee is all about potential isn’t it and with ETH having managed him before I feel confident in this being money well spent.
Luis Diaz’s stats exploded in 2021 before Liverpool signed him, at an older age. Hopefully we’ve timed this right and we see a similar kick on from Antony in terms of statistical output, and avoids a much more crowded market for him than if we had waited (though sounds like he would have prioritised us anyway…)

Superunknown

Going off the first minute of that video explains the low stats don’t back up his creative spark. How many misses from easy chances!?
This is why assist stats are so flawed. It doesn't say anything about the person creating the chance, it actually says more about the person finishing it off.

If Antony slides in 10 perfect balls into the box (e.g. get to the byline, pull the ball back with the striker stood in front of the goal) and striker x misses them, does that mean Antony's shit for getting no assists in that game?

OrcaFat

Way to miss the point. The point was he's a gamble (and no, not in the way every other signing is a gamble) and his fee should reflect that.

Again, he plays in a shit league and isn't exactly banging them in.
The point is, he’s a Brazil international and not THAT much of a gamble.

The Urban Goose

I love how we've suddenly got a few snidey feckers in the team again, it's about time. Hopefully some of the others will develop a hard edge from playing with the midget, Casemiro and Antony.

Crashoutcassius

Numbers are very low partially because he couldn't get in the team for first half of last year I believe. Had a good second half of the season then. Money is crazy, nobody should be surprised if we can't get a striker for less than 100m next summer

UDontMessWith24

Headline figures no but in terms of what he offers to build up and getting Ajax into the box he’s a really good young player. He absolutely has the quality to beat his man and provide a cut back or a box finish (he’s no Robben yet but it’s there somewhere).

I’ve said it many times before I can’t name you a better suited AVAILABLE left footed RW for Manchester United right now and so far nobody has convinced me Neto or such like are worth pursuing.

More than anything I trust Ten Hag knows what to do with him. I’m a United fan but also follow AZ Alkmaar so follow the Dutch league really closely and Antony is a hugely promising player who is really fun to watch too. Even if it doesn’t work out he’ll absolutely bring some quality moments and get bums off seats at Old Trafford in a way none of our other attackers can.

Hes not world class but he absolutely has shown the right quality to some day possibly get there. The fact he’s also already involved in the Brazilian National team who I think it’s fair to say have good wing options shows you he’s talented.
What I found the most encouraging just from watching his highlights is his natural ability to create and pull off high degree of difficulty passes and crosses. I had no idea how gifted he is in this department.

mav_9me

I’d say Ronaldo can get on the end of those crosses pretty well. The best chances created there were from midfield runners so the hope here is he can help Bruno find his scoring boots, and find Sancho in those positions he’s so often overlooked in. At the end of the day most of those chances relied on having good movement throughout the team. If we can get bit right we’ll be in a much better place.
Yes you are right abt Ronaldo. However I worry for our attack because we don't have the right midfielder to progress the ball to them in proper areas, nor do we have the no.9 to hold the ball up and help link up the attack together and to the mid. So will we able to put Antony and Sancho in position to do their magic. Hopefully I am an armchair fan who is completely wrong.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Who was the last actual left footed right winger we had? Not counting Greenwood, Mata etc who were played out of position or Diallo who hasn’t yet played.
Luis Nani is probably the closest thing to a right winger with a strong left foot

croadyman

If we can get a striker with pace and power next year, Sancho and Antony will create chances for fun. And a RB of course.
Dalot might step up at RB, he probably won't but there is a chance that happens. I would love us to be at front of queue for Nkunku provided we get back into top 4.

Cypriot

Elanga is still young (20yrs) and still has development potential.

Rashford will be 25yrs in a couple of months time.
There’s plenty of evidence that he’s probably shown all that he’s got in his bag already and has been struggling to produce consistent form for a long time.

If you’re going to cash-in, which one will fetch the best return?

I was only saying Elanga would be dropped from the starting lineup. I don’t believe either should be sold. But I do see your point.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The point is, he’s a Brazil international and not THAT much of a gamble.
At that price, he absolutely is mate. He scored 8 goals in the fecking Eredivisie as a winger for the most dominant team ever to play in the league.

We're paying roughly what City paid for Haaland if im not mistaken.

You're caught in the hype. ETH likes him, but that's no guarantee. LVG liked Memphis as well.

It's shit business.

amolbhatia50k

Dalot might step up at RB, he probably won't but there is a chance that happens. I would love us to be at front of queue for Nkunku provided we get back into top 4.
Nah. Dalot just isn't good enough as a starter.

Swedish_Plumber

This is why assist stats are so flawed. It doesn't say anything about the person creating the chance, it actually says more about the person finishing it off.

If Antony slides in 10 perfect balls into the box (e.g. get to the byline, pull the ball back with the striker stood in front of the goal) and striker x misses them, does that mean Antony's shit for getting no assists in that game?
Exactly.

My fear is our current players have a habit of missing good chances. And the media/Twitter fans love stats over actually using their eyes when rating performances/make their narratives before a balls kicked and stick with it whatever happens.

Combine those together and we’re gonna get over the top criticism if he doesn’t get assists.

I’m really looking forward to seeing him play. Think he’ll be solid like Martinez.

amolbhatia50k

At that price, he absolutely is mate. He scored 8 goals in the fecking Eredivisie as a winger for the most dominant team ever to play in the league.

We're paying roughly what City paid for Haaland if im not mistaken.

You're caught in the hype. ETH likes him, but that's no guarantee. LVG liked Memphis as well.

It's shit business.
ETH and LVG are two different people.

We overpaid. Just like Chelsea did. Or City for Grealish. It doesn't change the fact that we rate the player very highly. If he ends up a quality player for us that's all that matters to me.

No guarantees in life.

Status
Not open for further replies.