Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
People moan about fees then moan when we miss out on a player over £10-15m. He’s a very talented player in a position we desperately need upgrading.
I don't think it's that simple, people moan about a few things that can be justified (or not) :
- Does the amount of money put in Antony prevents United from recruiting another player at a position that could be even more of a priority (midfielder, striker?). If not, the amount paid for Antony is irrelevant
- Will it have a long term impact in future transfers since United could be seen as a fat cow any club can milk? Will overpaying players have a long term impact on the team building process because it'll limit the number/quality of the players United can buy? If not, the amount paid for Antony is irrelevant.
- Was it really necessary to spend 100M on Antony when you could end up without Ronaldo and with Martial (injured half the time) or Rashford as strikers for the whole season?
- Did United focus on Antony and Antony only so there's no other negociations pending with other players ? Impossible to know before the end of the transfer window.

I Am Zlatan

Can’t wait to see him play! A cameo vs Leicester would be ideal, but doubt his visa situation would be done by Thursday.

TheReligion

Abusive
One thing I know for sure is Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelena fought for Raphinha's signature in the beginning of the window, and these clubs showed no interest in Antony.
Why go for a player when you know they have their heart set on something else? Liverpool were allegedly fishing around Antony but again the player wanted United.

Not sure there’s any point in what you’re saying.

mattunited1978

doommonger
Which is exactly what I'll do. I will live in the present and form an opinion based on that. I presently haven't watched him play, just like the majority on here so I will not get excited by him purely based on a number of YouTube clips. We have just paid €100m for him and I do not think that this makes any sense, current 'market value' or not.

Currently I find paying the amount that we have for this player absolutely ridiculous and I believe that it has been done by the Glazers to stave off fan revolt. The most positive thing about it is that it appears to be a player that the manager actually wants and not a marketing ploy to rake in revenue from the fans who will now forget their hatred for them for a few months BUT that is a different matter entirely.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong and get loads of messages next summer laughing at me for being so wrong but it doesn't mean I can't be pessimistic or concerned at this very moment in time.
But how are you forming an opinion on the price for 'this player' when you havnt seen him play?

You wont get excited yet because you havnt seen him play, but you will be 'worried' 'nervous' and feel like being sick in your mouth(dramatic)..having not seen him play, what a ridiculously negative way to be.

But like you say it dosnt mean you cant be pessimistic or concerned, you can be whatever you want,not sure why you would want to be though...il leave it at this, hope somewhere along the line you find some enjoyment in following the club, its what its meant to be about.

BuzzKillington

If he can outperform all other forwards we currently have that's already good enough for me. But that would most likely mean double digit goals+assists (combined) with a lot of impact in general play. Beating defenders, work rate, good decision making, carrying Ten Hag's instruction well.
I’d agree that goals and assists maybe aren’t the be all and end all, but 11 G/A - season would be a very poor return for a €100m+ euro forward. Elanga got 6 in 16 starts last season.

We’ve got a hard working, skilful and dangerous wide attacking player who will score, assist and contribute to the team overall. Seems like a character too.

There was a post a load of pages back from either an Ajax fan or at least someone who watches the league and they were saying to not just judge his goals and assists because he is also very good during build up play in general. So while it may not have been him assisting or scoring directly, he is involved in a lot of the creation of those chances. Words to that effect anyway. Made me think anyhow.
I suppose that’s part of passing the eye test that the raw stats don’t always show. See my quote about Elanga above whose states are ok.

Im looking forward to seeing the lad, but I’d like to see him regularly getting over 20 G/A’s a season as a minimum, same for Sancho whose return was woeful last season.

DarnleyDevil7

I'm buzzing with this signing!
A young, exciting Brazilian winger, hopefully with attitude, at Old Trafford is what it's all about.
Marcus and Jadon look to have lost all confidence and still seem ages away from getting it back, and becoming the players we all hope.
I would love nothing more than this boy on his debut to attempt step over after step over, lose the ball a few times and then demand it again and try again (something close to Ronaldo v Bolton)
I understand the fans' situation at the moment but think we can help with the lack of confidence if we get excited and get right behind the players.
More chance of players performing and thriving for United if we've got their back. Brazilians are born to entertain and we've just signed 2 really good ones. Let's enjoy them and give them the stage to do what they do best.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Nani was grievously underrated by United fans, and suffered from being shunted onto the left following Valencia’s arrival.

If Antony far surpasses him then :drool: :drool: :drool:
Fair enough - the best of Nani is a pretty high bar, I guess I should have been more specific - I hope Antony far surpasses him in consistency, productivity and longevity.

Stacks

I am not as excited as many on here as our big signings seem to disappoint but hope he can have a Hazard like impact. Help us move up the field, relieve pressure, win free kicks, penetrate deep in the final 3rd, impact our scoring in the final 3rd.

TheReligion

Abusive
But how are you forming an opinion on the price for 'this player' when you havnt seen him play?

You wont get excited yet because you havnt seen him play, but you will be 'worried' 'nervous' and feel like being sick in your mouth(dramatic)..having not seen him play, what a ridiculously negative way to be.

But like you say it dosnt mean you cant be pessimistic or concerned, you can be whatever you want,not sure why you would want to be though...il leave it at this, hope somewhere along the line you find some enjoyment in following the club, its what its meant to be about.
This!

MinGin

Looking at how he’s been acting I think he will. He’s been professional and looking happy even though he’s been on the bench for the past few games. I think deep down he knows we’re going places with ten Hag and we’re improving.
I think he would be accepted the role provided by ETH after he knew that no one would like to pay him what we are paying or even half of that money for a CL team.

prateik

Even if he gets registered, he wont play on Thursday.. He hasnt trained for over a week... Dont think he starts against Arse either.. bench at best.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
yeah I don’t think he will take any part this week

Status
Not open for further replies.