Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eplel

I hope he's added in FPL in time, cause I really believe he's the right player to start against Arsenal and bag a couple goals

largelyworried

Who else are we going to spend it on though?

And if he does well he could be the difference between 4th and 5th, at which point any overpayment will pale into insignificance.
At this point late in the window there is no one else, that doesn't mean it's good planning from the club and we should be relaxed about it. This continual bad planning is why we're spunking up money summer after summer trying to put out fires instead of carefully building.

As for finishing 4th vs 5th, that's just speculation. Who's to say a lack of squad depth doesn't turn out to be the issue? All we can say for sure is that the manager has identified several areas to improve, and investing more in one area means we have less in another.

There is absolutely no proof that saving £10/£15/£20 million on this transfer would then see us spend that exact amount on another player. Its clear that budgets aren’t finite but I also think that Football manager-cation of club finances isn’t the correct way to look at things either, EtH wouldn’t have received an email his first day in the job with a toggle between wages & transfer budget.

We weren’t getting Antony for anything less so worrying about the knock on effects of an uncertain future makes little sense.
I'd have thought it obvious that my '£20M difference on a full back' was an example to illustrate a point about budgets, not something to be taken literally. Yes, budgets are indeed somewhat flexible depending on stuff like sales, payment schedules and salaries etc. However what is also true is that there is an ultimate ceiling on spend, it is not infinite. Therefore, however that calculation takes places, spending that budget in one area necessitates spending less in another area.

phelans shorts

Considering what Neymar has achieved on and off the field for PSG since then, how much has he really been worth?
His record when he is available has been very good, to be honest I’d say all football fees have lost all grounding in reality and I can’t really quantify any of them, so I don’t even bother trying.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Don't look at him only by his goals. As a reminder these are Ronaldo's first three seasons at United:
2005/2006Manchester UnitedApps
33 (0)
Goals
2004/2005Manchester United33 (0)5
2003/2004Manchester United29 (0)4

Nobody expected that skinny kid to be a world beater. But one thing was clear since the beginning, he was super talented and could get past defenders with ease.
Let's not compare him to all time greats, and also Ronaldo was 18-20 in those seasons and playing for arguably the biggest club in the world.

That said, he's an exciting talent and not everyone has the same trajectory. We have an exciting Brazilian on our hands!

mu4c_20le

One thing I know for sure is Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelena fought for Raphinha's signature in the beginning of the window, and these clubs showed no interest in Antony.
Liverpool and Barca were interested back in march. Presumably barca went with rapha as they were easier to deal with, plus proven in a better league. There was interest but Ajax never wanted to sell.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Since that post gets quoted a lot: I am not comparing him to Ronaldo one to one or expecting him to be a generational talent. My point is never to write off talented players too early. That Ronaldo stats is to show you if there are more to players development and talent than just being a goal scoring machine since a young age like Haaland. And Yes I consider 22-25 still young for a footballer. See also: Robben.

NewYorkRed

I’m actually not too concerned about his stats. They don’t paint the full picture, especially for players like him. Big worry would be adjusting to the pace and esp physicality of the league. Hope he overcomes both because he is a proper exciting player.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Maybe so but really hope you eat those words
I understand the excitement of Man Utd fans but I don't think I offend anyone by stating the fact that these 3 clubs tried to sign Raphinha' instead of Antony in the beginning of the window, for whatever reason that I don't know.

Enigma_87

You know who
Compared to Antony he is, though
Naturally, but that can change. He's not that far ahead or let's say if Antony fulfill his potential he can get there. Vini Jr. has already 4 seasons under his belt playing for Real and he really kicked it in last season, whilst you can say he was a bit underwhelming in the first three.

mu4c_20le

I understand the excitement of Man Utd fans but I don't think I offend anyone by stating the fact that these 3 clubs tried to sign Raphinha' instead of Antony in the beginning of the window, for whatever reason that I don't know.
I told you the reason, Ajax wanted more money for him because they didn't want to sell.

cyberman

One thing I know for sure is Chelsea, Arsenal and Barcelena fought for Raphinha's signature in the beginning of the window, and these clubs showed no interest in Antony.
What a terrible way to judge a transfer. Pretty sure it’s been Utd since ETH took over at United anyway.
We don’t hear about the average enquiry and swift rebuttal. Do we think Casemiro didn’t have other suitors as soon as it was clear he was leaving?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Apologies if it's been discussed already, but is there any possibility of having him ready for Thursday?

FatTails

It really doesn't matter. Even assuming Raphinha is actually "better", Antony might be a better fit for our team and what it needs right now. Football fans argue a lot about which player is better and throw stats at each other, but it is not that simple. Different players fit differently, and affect the team dynamics on the pitch in different ways. It's not an individual sport

Suv666

Weird metric to judge a transfer.

City were the only club interested in KDB back in the day.

A transfer war between clubs means feck all many hard fought for players turned out to be shit.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Such an pointless comparison. I understand the reservation about spending 100m but this is a new level to be honest.

Raphinha agreed personal terms with Barca back in Jan. Chelsea came only when Barca couldn't make a decision. Arsenal were never with in a shout. Means, Leeds already knew he was leaving and set a price of 60m.

Ajax never wanted to sell him this year after 4 departures. The price was always 70m + given Sao Polo is also owed a certain %. Antony's preference was ETH and he stated it back in May/June.

Don't confuse United incompetence with actual facts.

VivaRonaldo85

Is he a right side left footed player? If so, does that move Sancho over to the left and benches Rashford?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Think he’ll be worth the money more then grealish was for city. Grealish only cost what he did because he’s English and city have always been desperate for English players. Antony is not only younger but I think he’ll contribute a lot more in the final 3rd. We’ve always been about tricky and speedy wingers at old Trafford. Players who’ll get fans of the seats and this guy is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.