Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Once the collective comes together they'll all have a unit that supports them rather than one that drags them down.
Well there are some players who get afforded this collective comes together excuse forever and others don’t.
Players also need to take responsibility and not blame everything on the collective.

Flexdegea

So we paid 100M including add ons to get this guy who will predominantly play on the right, I guess Sancho will now move to the left and compete with Rashford then?

Luv when someone weighs in to troll and adds at least 20mil on it :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don’t care about the fee one single bit. Just bring him.
Yeah I'm here pretty much. If we think he's an elite talent (i think he is), then just get him. Left footed right wingers are rare, but necessary. He wants to come. We are desperate for a 3rd player to challenge and rotate with Sancho and Rashford. Greenwood was that guy, but he's not an option anymore. So essentially, this is the cost for us to replace Greenwood, who was a similar level talent. Replace a 100m talent with another huge talent, whatever the price.

Thoms

Supports
Ajax
Do you think he will if he does?
This kid is electric and full of self-confidence. Has that I dont give a feck, bring it attitude. Technical, fast, great dribbler and entertainer. Personally I think a club like Bayern or Barca would have been better for him (less physical) but I still think he will manage easily.

bosnian_red

So we paid 100M including add ons to get this guy who will predominantly play on the right, I guess Sancho will now move to the left and compete with Rashford then?
You need 3 wingers for the 2 spots. Rotation, subs, competition, etc. Rashford and Antony, or Sancho and Antony, or Sancho and Rashford are all potentially excellent wing combos and is what we need. Its what we had with Greenwood which needed replacing. So here's the replacement.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Well there are some players who get afforded this collective comes together excuse forever and others don’t.
Players also need to take responsibility and not blame everything on the collective.
Who doesn't get afforded this excuse ? Players who don't have the talent- like mctominay.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
End of signings must end here, this would be 220m euros on signings.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
That's some serious money. Never knew the guy was this highly rated, to be honest. I'm up for it though - we desperately need more attacking options.

amolbhatia50k

This kid is electric and full of self-confidence. Has that I dont give a feck, bring it attitude. Technical, fast, great dribbler and entertainer. Personally I think a club like Bayern or Barca would have been better for him (less physical) but I still think he will manage easily.
Awesome. If he has self confidence he'll step up and adapt to the leagues physicality

Stacks

Because Dortmund have come out he's not for sale. Guess what, Ajax would be more likely to let Antony go at a price that you'd also consider a fair price as well next season. Why is it fine when Dortmund has that approach, but not when Ajax does? Ajax clearly stated it didn't want to sell Martinez and Antony this season. Yet you've kept chasing these players. That's why you're overpaying for them. If you're after players not for sale it's going to take crazy amounts.
thats because we don't seem to have an extensive recuitment system outside of "lets use the manager's shortlist"
Funny people comparing him to Sancho saying he will struggle. Sancho is struggling because the team is struggling. Sancho will come good and thrive under Ten Hag, no doubt when all the pieces are in place. I think Antony will be worth the money to have a front three of Sancho, martial and Antony would be nice. Get players in who know the system NOW. And build from there. We don’t have time to waste with this lot
what are the pieces?

We badly need a RWF and Antony is a very good fit imo. His technical ability is superb and he can be an absolute joy to watch at times whilst exhibiting quick lateral movement which enables him to be a big threat in open play. But on top of having a high level of touch and technique, he's also an absolute live wire both from a defensive and offensive perspective and the intensity he plays at isn't match by any of our wide forwards.

It's been reported since early April by Dutch reporters about Ajax wanting between £70m to £90m for Antony. And it's understandable why Ajax would command such a fee for such a important player. From our perspective it would be overpaying but I think the investment in the long-term has the potential to pay off due the players potential and his age.
Isn't lateral movement more useful for defenders? He doesn't appear that fast

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What if it is worth it? What if he becomes our Salah? What if in 10 years he's a United legend after winning the league here?

Everyone just defaults thinking negatively about every signing because they're more interested in worrying about the clubs bookkeeping
Well he sure as hell better become our salah with that money or we're seriously fecked.

I like Antony, I liked what I've seen and I think he has potential but that money puts pressure on him and on us, you pay that for a surefire thing not a prospect.

amolbhatia50k

Well he sure as hell better becomes salah with that money or we're seriously fecked.

I like Antony, I liked what I've seen and I think he has potential but that money puts pressure on him and on us, you pay that for a surefire thing not a prospect.
We're not. If he performs like a 60 million pound player it's not going to destroy us but be a good addition. Salah is a 150 million pound player (probably). Anything other than one the PL greats is not going to feck us.

Stacks

And Frenkie and an additional striker to compete with Martial..

Antony and Casemiro are a huge huge upgrade, but there is still some work te be done to become competitive..
who is he a huge huge upgrade on? remember Sancho was supposedly Neymar in Germany and looks an average winger in the premier league. Its not easy to be effective here at a high output consistently

bosnian_red

Well he sure as hell better becomes salah with that money or we're seriously fecked.

I mean, people pay that for prospects in this day. 100m for Darwin, 120m for Joao Felix, 130m for Dembele, 70m for Raphinha, etc. The price you pay for young attackers.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
+ €20m, which you’d assume is purely CL qualification over a number of seasons, which means it‘s either €80m as it already was, or he’s been a resounding success and makes the extra €20m a more than fair deal. These incentives we’re seeing are excellent for us - we need to be a CL perennial fixture and it’s high time we inserted it into contracts. Help us, and we sure as shit will help you.
Agree with that sentiment but we're already paying 80 mill baseline for him, plus we could possibly fluke a cl season or two, it's too risky.

He betterhave insane confidence in his own abilities becauseone rough patch and everyone from press to our own fans would be on his back.

100 million down the drain !! Tony dos Santos scores again :drool:
That's giving me bad memories :nervous:

marktan

80m would be us getting absolutely fleeced.

The guy to me is a left footed Jason Sancho. I don't know why we can't scout better for once.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We simply have to gamble, our current wingers are so poor aside from Sancho. We're desperate and if he turns out like Salah/Mane we'll be thankful we did.
How many players has done it at such an young age ? Salah and Mane were much older when they started performing.

Poor signing all around. I get the Casemiro signing but this is a poor investment.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
80m would be us getting absolutely fleeced.

The guy to me is a left footed Jason Sancho. I don't know why we can't scout better for once.
People are Always complaining.
Be complaining if we didn’t buy anyone either!

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
who is he a huge huge upgrade on? remember Sancho was supposedly Neymar in Germany and looks an average winger in the premier league. Its not easy to be effective here at a high output consistently
Absolutely nobody thought he was Neymar in Germany.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
We’re still on the lookout for another midfielder and a RB and a GK if this comes through too.

exciting times?!

Adnan

Talent Spotter
thats because we don't seem to have an extensive recuitment system outside of "lets use the manager's shortlist"

what are the pieces?

Isn't lateral movement more useful for defenders? He doesn't appear that fast
It's important for dribblers aswell, which enables them to turn direction sharply whilst in full flow, and makes it difficult to defend against.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Very nervous about this transfer. Don't like the idea of the manager also being the chief scout and DOF for the club.

saik

Bit of a meme this. We were in pretty early for Martinez and he cost us a fortune
Depends what you consider early i guess. We went in after they already lost Mazaroui, Gravenberch, Haller and Tagliafico. Might be missing a few others. My point is we could have went for him before they lost all those players.

In my opinion, the meme should be our supposed "excellent relationship" with Ajax considering they rinsed us for all the transfers and are about to rinse us for this one too.

Castia

Imagine if we signed Antony and Casamiro at the start of the summer. The atmosphere around the club would have been completely different.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Agree with that sentiment but we're already paying 80 mill baseline for him, plus we could possibly fluke a cl season or two, it's too risky.

He betterhave insane confidence in his own abilities becauseone rough patch and everyone from press to our own fans would be on his back.

That's giving me bad memories :nervous:
You’re not making sense; whatever way we qualify, it would be on us to capitalise upon in it - as far as the contract clauses, it would be partially fulfilled and a portion of the bonus money then goes their way.

Our priority is getting back to being a top 4 side - it’s worth a fortune for us financially as well as in terms of appeal to sponsors and top tier players alike.

Status
Not open for further replies.