Antony | Here we go! €100mill, contract until June 2027, option 'til 2028.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorio

Crazy money for such a player. If he doesn't work out in PL, who will take responsibility?
Murtough, hopefully. Could've done this alot cheaper if he'd just listened to Ten Hag
Why does anyone have to take responsibility? It's not like clubs like City and even Liverpool didn't buy expensive duds when trying to build (who was that keeper before Alisson again?). Difference is they just went and corrected the mistake as soon as they could.

He's the right type of player in a position that's lacking.

Completely happy with this if he's as promising as folks say. Don't care too much for the other lad (Gakpo), I feel Garnacho is a better player.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
When a player wants to join us that bad, it’s only a good thing. We need players with commitment to the cause.

obviously our stance also persuaded him - we continue pursuit despite all difficulties. Player feels wanted
But surely when a player wants to sign that bad, and willing to sulk and not train etc you can take advantage of it and not pay too much for him?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is this guy any good to be shelling out this kind of money?Are there any players that he is similar to as I haven’t seen him play at all?
Nah he's shit mate - might as well move on now.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Is this guy any good to be shelling out this kind of money?Are there any players that he is similar to as I haven’t seen him play at all?
Talent to be world class but obviously not there yet. Probably similar current level to Raphinha (not a clear starter between the 2 for Brazil). Potential max ceiling could be something like Arjen Robben or Di Maria the most accurate 2 I've seen. Has buckets of ability, but of course never an easy transition. Is a inverted winger, not an inside forward.

the_cliff

Talent to be world class but obviously not there yet. Probably similar current level to Raphinha (not a clear starter between the 2 for Brazil). Potential max ceiling could be something like Arjen Robben or Di Maria the most accurate 2 I've seen. Has buckets of ability, but of course never an easy transition. Is a inverted winger, not an inside forward.
Good analysis. I would add Mahrez as well with a bit more pace.

ED_209

Supports
Coritiba
Brazilian players don't rate much the Dutch league. I guess it's why he's forcing the move... Many who are signed by clubs there consider it as a simply stepping stone to bigger leagues in the future since Ronaldo and Romário are still used as examples.

Igor Paixão, who had been one of the highlights of the Brazilian League this year just went to Feyenoord and said in interviews that it will be his "first step in Europe".

MrSingh2002

I think Antony should've been bought when he was in Brazil when he looked a clear prospect and was worth the £15m.

Now I think he's worth £45m tops for what he's done at Ajax.

We're probably overpaying by £40m so Ten Hag better make this cnut work harder than he's ever worked before.

He's not that fast and he doesn't score that many goals. We could've signed Richarlison, Raphinha or Diaz for less money so pressures on this cat from the get go with a price tag higher than Cristiano Ronaldo when he left us as a Balon Dor winner after winning the Champions League.

Madness.

northernsoul74

I think Antony should've been bought when he was in Brazil when he looked a clear prospect and was worth the £15m.

Now I think he's worth £45m tops for what he's done at Ajax.

We're probably overpaying by £40m so Ten Hag better make this cnut work harder than he's ever worked before.

He's not that fast and he doesn't score that many goals. We could've signed Richarlison, Raphinha or Diaz for less money so pressures on this cat from the get go with a price tag higher than Cristiano Ronaldo when he left us as a Balon Dor winner after winning the Champions League.

Madness.
Richarlison is hardly known for his goals output either and he’s basically a centre forward.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
So what shirt number do we give him? That number 11 hasn't been worn in a while :angel:

ChaddyP

Thats unprofessional though. You're contracted to a club, kick up a fuss internally but dont go as far as refuse to train for 3 sessions and miss games. You're getting paid to do that as a minimum, and are still an employee of Ajax.
I don't see it as unprofessional... If Chelsea came in with a daft offer for Ronaldo and we said no I would no qualms about him refusing to train.

And I'm not about the you're getting paid so feck off. Real people get paid and go in strike All the time for what they perceive as injustices in their work place. Clubs also do this to players they payed to play. They freeze then out and make them train with kids if they refuse to not go to some random club they deemed submitted a good enough bid for your contract. It works both ways and I feel there should be context put in to whenever a player decides that he needs to go to these extremes. He wants to leave and ajax to him are being completely unreasonable in not negotiating in good faith. I would have done the same.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Those motherfeckers get around 100m from us, but don't want to spend anything for Ziyech. :lol:

mu4c_20le

I think this will be a similar signing to Luis Diaz at Liverpool.
I see the similarity in style as well. Diaz just has a year or two of development over him. Robben would be a hell of a ceiling to reach, and I dont see his dribbling as good as that.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Makes Rashford on the left and/or Ronaldo up front even more critical. Who’s he looking to create for if not those two?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This dude will never be as good as Robben. 16 year old Robben at Groningen was twice the player this kid is and our league was slightly less laughable back then.

Neither is Di Maria as good as Robben.

I really like Arjen Robben :wenger:

I will concede that he might be an even bigger cheating cnut than Robben.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?

This is a good video on him. I must admit I haven't watched him a lot, but people who have say he's going to be a special player.

Looks like he has the wow factor that gets you off your seat. Best asset is his dribbling.

He's been compared to Salah, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva and a young Messi.

Irrational.

I see the similarity in style as well. Diaz just has a year or two of development over him. Robben would be a hell of a ceiling to reach, and I dont see his dribbling as good as that.
Agreed. Both extremely hard working - at only 22 he still has a very high ceiling and a promising future.

This signing also suggests that ETH sees Rashford, Martial and Ronaldo as our strikers/ #9s this season with Antony, Sancho, Elanga and Garnacho fighting it out for the wing spots. We won’t be signing another striker.

Adam-Utd

Those motherfeckers get around 100m from us, but don't want to spend anything for Ziyech. :lol:
aww what a shame, if only they didn't keep refusing fair offers perhaps they'd be in a better situation to use the market.

Antony told them a month ago he wanted to leave and to let him go for a fair fee.

croadyman

Probably 20m too much but if de Jong is really out of reach, it's a gamble worth taking.

We're a few players short of where I think we should be in this window, but I'd never have imagined that we could sign casemiro and snap up a gem of a full back.
Yeah there is no doubt we have paid too much, however that's down to not getting him earlier. Might still be time for signing another gem of a full back on other side. Would totally agree we are a few players short but were never addressing all issues in this window.

Womp

idiot
I'm so sold on this signing, think he is going to be world class. Has aspects of his game he needs to improve, but he just has that 'it' factor that the top players have. That being said, the only thing I'd be worried about with his signing is the lack of goals. He's more of a creator and a ball carrier at the moment than a pure scorer. Sancho on the other side would be the same. It would put a lot of pressure on our midfield and forward to score goals by not having a scorer first out wide. Will be interesting to see how ETH manages that.

Adam-Utd

Yeah there is no doubt we have paid too much, however that's down to not getting him earlier. Might still be time for signing another gem of a full back on other side. Would totally agree we are a few players short but were never addressing all issues in this window.
We tried getting him earlier and they blank refused. The links were there as early as the Timber negotiations.

Ajax have stuck to their guns and forced this situation. They get paid, but now they're gonna be short themselves if they can't get a deal sorted.

croadyman

I just want us to sign him and be done with it. We still have some time to bring in a couple of other players in need, GK and midfielder for example.
Can see us getting GK and RB but fully confident that Erik is happy to wait it out for the right CM.

croadyman

He will getting hammered by the British media enough about his lack of goals and assists without our fanbase going in on him too

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
aww what a shame, if only they didn't keep refusing fair offers perhaps they'd be in a better situation to use the market.

Antony told them a month ago he wanted to leave and to let him go for a fair fee.
What a load of bollocks. Ajax never bought Antony for 2 seasons that's why Ajax said all summer Antony isn't for sale. That's exactly why United has to pay a crazy fee to get things done.

It doesn't mean Ajax should accept this offer though. Ajax isn't in panic mode like United. Unlike United Ajax should keep making good business decisions. We've sold Ziyech when he was on a high for 45m. Now he's 30 y/o, on a low and he has not played many games for 2 years and Chelsea clearly want to get rid. Given his age, there's no resale value in Ziyech. Given all this Ajax really shouldn't pay much more than €20m for Ziyech. If Chelsea doesn't accept that, then fair play to them. However then the conclusion is that Ajax can't get an appropriate replacement and then Antony has to stay, as was always planned.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This dude will never be as good as Robben. 16 year old Robben at Groningen was twice the player this kid is and our league was slightly less laughable back then.

Neither is Di Maria as good as Robben.

I really like Arjen Robben :wenger:

I will concede that he might be an even bigger cheating cnut than Robben.
Oh I agree, Robben is more like the ultimate peak for him but even Robben exploded in a way nobody expected. Antony has all the talent, question is how high he reaches. Di Maria agree nowhere close, but still class.

Status
Not open for further replies.