Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
It's really really weird, the amount of hatred in here for Rachel Riley posting something relatively innocuous on twitter, which then got picked up and sensationalised by the rag papers. Doesn't really surprise me since some of ye are just cnuts, but a lot are falling into the trap set by the Sun and the like.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
The club doesn't really attract wrong uns, the proportion of problematic players is fairly small. We are talking about a couple of individuals out of maybe 40 or 50 in the past 2 or 3 years. Also all clubs at all levels and in pretty much all sport have bellends, generally things are done discreetly enough that only ITKs or a random accounter at night will expose things.
Part of the problem is the entitlement of wealthy, young, idolised men, who in some senses have never had to really grow up. They (some) believe they can get away with things that the common man wouldn’t. I don’t think it’s a Utd issue specifically

Red_toad

Sometimes violence can be worse than rape. You could cave someone’s head in with a hammer for example.

He apparently smashed her fingers up and head butted the woman.

That’s serious violence it’s not like a slap to the face and regret it afterwards like some couples.

I know zero people who have headbutted a woman that’s for damn sure. That’s like go to jail behaviour is it not?
Allegedly you mean. It's all hearsay until proven.
I known women who've headbutted men, maybe you need to get out more ;)

Chief123

It's really really weird, the amount of hatred in here for Rachel Riley posting something relatively innocuous on twitter, which then got picked up and sensationalised by the rag papers. Doesn't really surprise me since some of ye are just cnuts, but a lot are falling into the trap set by the Sun and the like.
I’m not sure what’s gone on in here, but I’d be deeply offended if this doesn’t include me. I work hard to be part of these generalisations.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Probably a case of her wanting money out of him. He’s admitted they both verbal abused each other but he said he hasn’t physically abused her. If there’s no evidence then it’s a case of innocent until proven guilty.
What’s that based on?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He never went to jail and the charges were dropped so you're arguing an Aunt Sally. They stopped playing him because the videos and pictures completely destroyed his public image. Nobody wanted to cheer for him.
He was arrested and released on bail. Don’t recall the duration of his jail time, probably not long considering he is a millionaire, but that case went much further than Antony’s (who hasn’t been arrested) case has so far.

To be fair though Partey kept playing while on bail I think.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
What annoys me about her was her reaction to Johnny Depp after his trial. If she’s to be taken seriously she has to be sensitive to both scenarios, not simply say Johnny Depp still did it and Amber Herd is an innocent victim.
It just doesn’t sit right. She absolutely rinsed him even after he went through all he went through
I don’t remember her saying specifically that Amber Heard was entirely innocent. I do think she has a point about Depp, I think he got away with some pretty nasty stuff.

lsd

The Oracle

I don't like Rachel Riley for obvious tory reasons and her harassment of Corbyn.

However on this she is totally correct as she is on Greenwood.

Manchester United cannot be seen to condone these acts. We know they wanted to keep Greenwood and they will try their best to ignore Antony.

They cannot be allowed to do so. There are bigger things than football

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Part of the problem is the entitlement of wealthy, young, idolised men, who in some senses have never had to really grow up. They (some) believe they can get away with things that the common man wouldn’t. I don’t think it’s a Utd issue specifically
No, it's just that a proportion of people, men and women, are cnuts. It's not as if we are talking about things that are rare in the rest of the population, if anything the issue is that people forget that famous people aren't different to the rest outside of being famous.

Last edited:

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
She called Jeremy Corbyn a racist. A man who has never once made a racist comment and who has spent his entire career fighting against discrimination. She's a detestable person.
Corbyn made a number of comments that many Jews considered anti-semitic. That's a form of racism. Unless you think you are better qualified than they are to identify anti-semitism? Riley is Jewish and perfectly entitled to call him out on it. Just like she's a woman entitled to her view on Greenwood. Telling her to fek off and get back in her box isn't a great look.

Last edited:

Plastic Evra

Still no comment by the club to not even recognise there's a police investigation ongoing?
I think we know now that United doesn't do fast.
But they're probably right. In the Greenwood case the ball was in club's court for 6 months and we were waiting on them.
Here it's better to see if there's any development in the investigation or the legal front which MU has no control over. I'd wait the end of the international break to assess.

astracrazy

I don't like Rachel Riley for obvious tory reasons and her harassment of Corbyn.

Manchester United cannot be seen to condone these acts. We know they wanted to keep Greenwood and they will try their best to ignore Antony.

She claims she used the club doctor, after he knocked two bells into her, are we meant to believe the club are going THAT far to ignore Antony?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Still no comment by the club to not even recognise there's a police investigation ongoing?
I think they are probably deliberating what the response should be, because they need to tread carefully here

Daily_Blind

What acts are those? There is no proof that Antony did what she alleges. He hasn’t even been charged yet. Do you understand the concept of presumption of innocence? It used to be an important aspect of the Western legal system.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Did they fall into the trap or jump headlong. I think a lot of these guys know exactly what they’re doing here.

cyberman

I don’t remember her saying specifically that Amber Heard was entirely innocent. I do think she has a point about Depp, I think he got away with some pretty nasty stuff.
There may be grey areas involved but accusing Depp of doing everything that Depp was suing Amber for in the middle of the trial and listing them as facts is basically why Depp sued in the first place. She accused him of cheerleading domestic abuse after winning the defamation trial. She’s lucky she wasn’t sued herself

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
If there's really been a claim involving the club doctor, surely that would be relatively easy to corroborate or disprove?

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
Stupid president set by the club on this issue, there are going to be loads of allegations by people in relation to footballers by the very virtue that these men are millionaires. You cannot suspend everyone there is an allegation against, you’d have no team left by the end of the year. If charges are brought then drop him and wait to see, otherwise carry on as is. I’m hoping the difference is with greenwood that the verbals released were sickening and left us in a very very bad position. I’m hoping just for footballing sakes that he stays until evidence seems he is suitable to be charged. Adam Johnson for middlesborough continued playing when he had committed the most awful crimes imagined.

The players need someone employed by the club to sit down with every player and coach and reiterate how to be a good human being and get ahead of the curve with these things.

Farcical I’m hoping this is the straw that breaks the glazers back. I know it’s nothing to do with them but I blame them completely

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What’s that based on?
A lot of incidents like that have happened in the past. Woman always try and con famous or rich people. I’m not saying it’s always the case by the way but it is possible.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
She claims she used the club doctor, after he knocked two bells into her, are we meant to believe the club are going THAT far to ignore Antony?
I think it’s unlikely, but that would be massive if true. Presidents got taken down on the basis of “what did he know and when did he know it”? It would be a huge PR nightmare for the club if it turns out the club knew, and was involved in the treatment

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Corbyn made a number of comments that many Jews considered anti-semitic. That's a form of racism. Unless you think you are better qualified than they are to identify anti-semitism? Riley is Jewish and perfectly entitled to call him out on it. Just like she's a woman entitled to her view on Greenwood. Telling her to fek off and get back in her box isn't a great look.
:lol: Thank you for clarifying that anti semitism is a form of racism. I'm not sure why you're implying that I think otherwise.

Now without wanting to derail this thread, can you please direct me to some of the anti semitic comments made by Corbyn (probably best to PM me). As far as I'm aware, the only legitimate claims labelled at him were for failing to hand out harsher punishments to other MPs in the Labour Party who actually made anti semitic comments.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's not a problem. The vast majority of footballers don't get involved in issues like the one Antony is alleged of being involved in.

I'm sure on a stats basis the number of footballers caught up in this is significantly lower than that of the general population.

Verward

What a mess this club is in. there's simply something or other scandal popping up every alternate days. Missing Fergie days.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
There may be grey areas involved but accusing Depp of doing everything that Depp was suing Amber for in the middle of the trial and listing them as facts is basically why Depp sued in the first place. She accused him of cheerleading domestic abuse after winning the defamation trial. She’s lucky she wasn’t sued herself
I don’t think she’s done anything wrong re: Greenwood, but if her conduct as described above is true then yeah that’s awful.

Plastic Evra

Their club doctor is being named in the accusation, it kind of makes it a bit more complicated
I'd say it makes it easier because if she claimed this in public and/or to authorities that's possibly something police might look into : Hence, no comment on an ongoing investigation. We will release a statement when appropriate. Press might dig about it though.

If there's any truth to that specific detail however the club has a much bigger problem than making timely statements.

glazed

:lol: Thank you for clarifying that anti semitism is a form of racism. I'm not sure why you're implying that I think otherwise.

Now without wanting to derail this thread, can you please direct me to some of the anti semitic comments made by Corbyn. As far as I'm aware, the only legitimate claims labelled at him were for failing to hand out harsher punishments to other MPs in the Labour Party who actually made anti semitic comments.
There's a link in my post. Glad you think it's funny.

Rusholme Ruffian

Yeah, but at the same time urging people to vote Tory - who were led by a guy who has a list of racist comments as long as your arm - was a strange one. Maybe she feels that Islamophobia is less important than anti-semitism?

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
It's not a problem. The vast majority of footballers don't get involved in issues like the one Antony is alleged of being involved in.

I'm sure on a stats basis the number of footballers caught up in this is significantly lower than that of the general population.
Oh I’d estimate much higher, as a proportion. I don’t know if any statistician has tried to look at the raw numbers, but I’d be interested to see if they have.

My post is purely based on my own observations and so could quite likely be diametrically opposed to actual fact!

RedC

What a load of shite that article is.

glazed

Yeah, but at the same time urging people to vote Tory - who were led by a guy who has a list of racist comments as long as your arm - was a strange one. Maybe she feels that Islamophobia is less important than anti-semitism?
Maybe whataboutery isn't an argument?

What a load of shite that article is.
Glad you are more qualified than a Jew to identify anti-semitism. I had not realised the Chief Rabbi was amongst us

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
She feels it’s her duty to defend Judaism, and I get that, but it makes her at best an ‘unreliable narrator.’, and at worst a deliberate, knowing, liar who values Jewish life above all others. Which is the lowest of the low. Whatever positive effects she’s had re: greenwood is, to me, hugely outweighed by her one sided view of what’s happening in the Middle East

arnie_ni

I thought she was Labour, but just hated corbyn. Could be entirely wrong there

astracrazy

I'd say it makes it easier because if she claimed this in public and/or to authorities that's possibly something police might look into : Hence, no comment on an ongoing investigation. We will release a statement when appropriate. Press might dig about it though.

If there's any truth to that specific detail however the club has a much bigger problem than making timely statements.
Maybe, but I should imagine/expect it would kick off some internal investigation before statements are made. You could have a situation where the club doctor knows f all about this at all.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
She feels it’s her duty to defend Judaism, and I get that, but it makes her at best an ‘unreliable narrator.’, and at worst a deliberate, knowing, liar who values Jewish life above all others. Which is the lowest of the low. Whatever positive effects she’s had re: greenwood is, to me, hugely outweighed by her one sided view of what’s happening in the Middle East
Swap “Judaism” for “the Muslim faith” and “Jewish life” with “Muslim” life and you could say the same about any of the Muslim posters on here who share opinions on Middle East politics. Only you wouldn’t. Because you shouldn’t. As it’s a shitty way to write off anyone’s opinion.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

Swap “Judaism” for “the Muslim faith” and “Jewish life” with “Muslim” life and you could say the same about any of the Muslim posters on here who share opinions on Middle East politics. Only you wouldn’t. Because you shouldn’t. As it’s a shitty way to write off anyone’s opinion.
That's a car crash of a post your responding to. You've gone in light there