Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

FromTheBench

After the Greenwood fiasco club have no choice but stick to same moral standards.

When all the time the standard should be unless charged or legally punished club won't do anything else.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ok. Thanks for responding mate. I'd be lying if i said I truly understood what you're getting at though, but I'm not keen to labour the point any more than i have. Feeling like I've been labelled some kind of racist and not being able to undesrtand whyi s clearly (who knew?) my redcafe Kryptonite) .On an unrelated note I took a couple of lorezepam I found whilst moving rooms, about 2 hours ago. Which has made this conversation, erm, interesting, to say the least
Ha! Enjoy. Put on some nice music. Watch a film. Don’t waste any more time splitting hairs with online pedants like me!

Client6

To stop Niccolo having a meltdown, read the bolded again. They didn't say it affects how much worth they ascribe to the Greenwood matter.

Edit: You lot have the poor fecker taking Benzos (a shit one though) tragic
It was a poor comparison, and made little sense, I'd agree. I think i'm just generally supportive of her Greenwood comments, less so of her Corbyn/antisemitism ones. Not entirely sure that justified me giving myself the world's most unnecessary panic-attack, though!
Apologies are in order, NicolaSacco.

I read your post about you needing a lie down and then read @Pogue Mahone's post, and posted as I only wanted to elaborate on why others were piling on and to tell you to take it easy. However, I don't think anyone called you racist or anything. But I apologize for "trusting but not verifying".

God damn it, I had decided not to engage with anyone on the Internet and now look what I did. I will take my own advice and stop posting in this thread.

redcucumber

That's celebrity for you. The society of the spectacle. When people agree they retweet, when they disagree they think celebrities should shut up.
True enough. It's a bit different nowadays with Twitter though. Celebs will be acutely aware of the platform they have and gleefully use it to manipulate discourse one way or another. Pre social media it'd be embarrassing for a celebrity to be known as a rent-a-quote on topics that are of absolutely no relevance to their status and/or position. Now they have a direct feed to the masses and are actually listened to and talked about, beyond readers of the rags/celeb mags.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
True enough. It's a bit different nowadays with Twitter though. Celebs will be acutely aware of the platform they have and gleefully use it to manipulate discourse one way or another. Pre social media it'd be embarrassing for a celebrity to be known as a rent-a-quote on topics that are of absolutely no relevance to their status and/or position. Now they have a direct feed to the masses and are actually listened to and talked about, beyond readers of the rags/celeb mags.
Yes, it's definitely more immediate and prone to whimsy as a result of tech alright.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea

I read your post about you needing a lie down and then read @Pogue Mahone's post, and posted as I only wanted to elaborate on why others were piling on and to tell you to take it easy. However, I don't think anyone called you racist or anything. But I apologize for "trusting but not verifying".

God damn it, I had decided not to engage with anyone on the Internet and now look what I did. I will take my own advice and stop posting in this thread.
Big mistake that, nothing good ever comes of it

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
These allegations are pretty horrible.

He has been removed from the national team and police in Manchester have been given evidence by the police in Sao Paolo.

UOL wrote that they have seen messages on her WhatsApp from Antony where he is apologising for kicking and punching her.
There is a claim that she was treated by club doctors at United. Her lawyers are in contact with the club. We are going to find out very soon whats what
I agree, this line of inquiry should pretty much clear things up either way given the claims of corroborative evidence presented. If there was indeed any physical assault that required specific attention from doctors with records, and the incident has supporting corroborating evidence in terms of records, photos, lack of alibis, and the couple's communication history, it would be difficult to argue against Antony's culpability. I hope we find out the truth.

The Purley King

Exactly, that is why I said looking at the player mental state should be as important as their footballing ability. Now with this allegations, it will affect his performance and now ETH will have another distraction to deal with
Correct but I’m not sure how you can accurately assess that , it’s basically the job of a social worker and we all know how that can go.
You are trying to work out the top 1% of the top 1% of the top 1%.
I’ve only had a very diluted view of what that can be like but far far removed from the truly elite players.
They live in an entirely different world from the rest of us.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

All good. Just going to have a 14 hour power nap and i'll be right as rain! Cheers guys:o

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
But it's not a separate issue, that's what's so weird. It's like some odd incel outpouring in this thread. She's become a central character because of the outrage at her.
No the issue is that she is using her platform to single out people who have NOT been proven guilty. Sorry if he’s found guilty by all means she along with everyone else has a right to vilify him but otherwise it’s abhorrent. If he’s innocent then she’s used her platform to start a witch hunt, excuse me for thinking that the rule of law and the right to a day in court was a given in the UK. For someone like her of all people to take the moral high ground on anything is laughable. She allegedly left her husband for her dance partner. She can give me a break with her virtue signalling.

frostbite

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anchester-united-have-not-learned-any-lessons

Antony case shows Manchester United have not learned any lessons
Barney Ronay

Over the weekend United’s media relations arm was busy with other matters, making it known, publicly and in no uncertain terms, that recent criticism of its middle management had upset the hierarchy; that the club feels such criticism is undeserved, that things are turning around now, that it is a tightly run ship these days. A fair point, perhaps. But the timing has turned out to be deeply unfortunate. Since then a 3-1 defeat at Arsenal has been followed by a disastrous act of public laundry‑wringing by Jadon Sancho. And now we have this.

The allegations against Antony have been lurking in plain sight for three months now. On Monday afternoon they became unignorable – no matter how hard the club might try – with the publication of further deeply depressing claims in Brazil.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
It shouldn't even be a choice whether this club (or any club) can continue to use a player being accused of something like this. It should be coming down from the governing body itself.

In today's Los Angeles Times, Julio Urias (a very popular pitcher for the Dodgers) has just been accused of a second domestic abuse incident. The MLB commission suspended him. MLB also suspended Trevor Bauer, another Dodgers pitcher, for 194 games. There's precedent. Even if it's a season-killer.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodg...julio-urias-domestic-violence-case-commentary
That's a bit different as he was technically arrested and charged today so the Dodgers had to react by putting him on adminstrative leave. I imagine it being his second offence twisted their arm. He's also an impending free agent so I'm sure they're happy he won't be their problem for much longer.

It's true though that MLB has strict rules about domestic abuse charges owing to historical instances and certainly takes them seriously. If anybody wants to wade through, they're available to read online:

https://content.mlb.com/documents/2...Player_Joint_DV_SA_CA_Policy_English_2018.pdf

Bauer is a slight different story and one I don't hugely want to get into but I don't think he was ever found guilty of those allegations. His already poor relationship with MLB is what caused the reaction he got when it happened and lack of sympathy thereafter (i.e administrative leave from the Dodgers, and basically becoming persona non grata in the bigs).

It's also often the case that, after suspension, players will simply come back and continue where they left off. Marcell Ozuna (of the Braves) as a recent example. I'm not sure fans here would welcome the same response from clubs in the Premier League but maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:

LARulz

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...anchester-united-have-not-learned-any-lessons

Barney Ronay

Over the weekend United’s media relations arm was busy with other matters, making it known, publicly and in no uncertain terms, that recent criticism of its middle management had upset the hierarchy; that the club feels such criticism is undeserved, that things are turning around now, that it is a tightly run ship these days. A fair point, perhaps. But the timing has turned out to be deeply unfortunate. Since then a 3-1 defeat at Arsenal has been followed by a disastrous act of public laundry‑wringing by Jadon Sancho. And now we have this.

The allegations against Antony have been lurking in plain sight for three months now. On Monday afternoon they became unignorable – no matter how hard the club might try – with the publication of further deeply depressing claims in Brazil.
Bit confused sorry, but has he been charged officially?

If not, why would United drop him? Otherwise a lot of people can make accusations against people and clubs will have set a precedent to drop players each time till it gets proven wrong. If/once he gets charged he should 100% be suspended or whatever by the club, but till then I don't see why to be honest

Laurencio

Barney Ronay

Yes, complaining about unfair treatment from the press while addressing that subject is perfectly reasonable and not at all going to come across as whiny, self indulgent and misguided. Silence and accusations of bias is exactly how you will get the press on your side.

tomaldinho1

Bit confused sorry, but has he been charged officially?

If not, why would United drop him? Otherwise a lot of people can make accusations against people and clubs will have set a precedent to drop players each time till it gets proven wrong. If/once he gets charged he should 100% be suspended or whatever by the club, but till then I don't see why to be honest
Exactly this. Why is it so hard for people to understand? As soon as he’s charged he gets suspended.

Someone

Something
This is where the precedent we set with Greenwood comes back to haunt us.
Haunt us how? You didn't actually want us to keep playing Greenwood after the allegations were actually made did you?

The club is more important than the players, and it shouldn't be dragged into this mess.

Plastic Evra

This is where the precedent we set with Greenwood comes back to haunt us.
Short term and in footballing terms we're taking losses, longer term I'm reasonably confident the club as an institution will benefit from being forced to adopt relevant policies and be more mindful of those issues.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.

Barney Ronay

“Should Antony be banned from playing football because there is an allegation against him that will now be tested by the Crown Prosecution Service? Not on the face of it. The presumption of innocence exists for good reason. Is this a non-negotiable principle for all employees? Should it make any difference whether an individual is employed by entities that still claim at heart to be community sports clubs? Teachers and lawyers, among many others, are held to higher standards of behaviour than simply not being convicted of a crime.

Footballers should be held to a higher standard of innocent until proven guilty?

Melville Red

What shameful behaviour can United‘s staff get up to in order to shame the Glazers into selling?
I have a few ideas but I really shouldn’t publish them on the web, oh no sir. :lol:

clarkydaz

Yes, complaining about unfair treatment from the press while addressing that subject is perfectly reasonable and not at all going to come across as whiny, self indulgent and misguided. Silence and accusations of bias is exactly how you will get the press on your side.
Looks like United pulled a Sancho

DavelinaJolie

Why is she triggering such rage on you lot?
Because, I guess, a lot of people (particularly men) just want to enjoy their football, and not worry about the disgusting things the people they cheer on may have allegedly done to others (particularly women). Out of sight, out of mind.

It's gross.

Zed 101

Because, I guess, a lot of people (particularly men) just want to enjoy their football, and not worry about the disgusting things the people they cheer on may have allegedly done to others (particularly women). Out of sight, out of mind.

It's gross.
Or maybe because she is trying somebody in the public arena with minimal information,

none of us know the truth in this case is Antony guilty? if so string him up, is the ex making it up either out of spite or trying to get money? bottom line the place for this should be in a court not the tabloids,

If Riley wants to campaign against domestic violence she 100% has my backing and support, but right now all she is doing is piling into a situation where she is making assumptions and condemning somebody based on a snapshot of info that she has been given by the media.... that is disgusting, not saying Antony is innocent, if he is found guilty I wouldn't spit on him if he was on fire... but if he is innocent, then how is he being impacted, mentally, financially and his image.... even if exonerated he will never be free of the stain and Riley jumping in for clickbait will not be issuing an apology or facing any consequences for her soapbox tirade.

I absolutely hate people being tried in the media it is beyond disgusting, it is irresponsible, opportunistic and cowardly, problem is now we have twitter every idiot on the planet can spout their nonsense and get an audience

DavelinaJolie

Short term and in footballing terms we're taking losses, longer term I'm reasonably confident the club as an institution will benefit from being forced to adopt relevant policies and be more mindful of those issues.
Absolutely. I would hope these can be used as learning experiences to institute better policies and better vetting of players.

Sadly, I suspect this won't be the case.

redcucumber

Too much victim blaming again.

Our club and once proud support becomes just a little bit more toxic. How depressing.
It's an allegation, isn't it? How about we refrain from judgement either way before getting our knickers in a twist? Due process means absolutely zip in the age of social media. Now that's depressing.

manutddjw

My opinion on criminal cases against players should be as follows:

1. the accused is allowed to be a member of the team until he is formally charged.

2. Once formally charged the players is suspended without pay until the legal matter plays itself out.

3. We respect the courts decision. If he is found guilty he is automatically terminated (this needs to be put in player contracts if it isn’t already). If he is found not guilty or the charges are dropped he is free to rejoin the team.

we place a high importance on the judicial system and they should be the ones who dictate what we do as a club. Not your feelings, opinions or twitter.

JediSith

After the Greenwood fiasco club have no choice but stick to same moral standards.

When all the time the standard should be unless charged or legally punished club won't do anything else.
I think if he gets arrested and charged then he should get suspended. Then the trial should decide what happens after.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Absolutely. I would hope these can be used as learning experiences to institute better policies and better vetting of players.

The question I have relative to what you have mentioned is why on earth arent we already vetting players and/or have better policies in place. Im assuming of course we dont which isnt the greatest approach I know.

The thing is that issues such as domestic abuse have been known about for a very long time and social media has been with us for a long time now as well. There is no place to hide anymore so I would hope that our players are attending internal or even external courses relating to on field and off field behaviours. Because we are a massively well known club and in the public eye every day and night we really should have been on the front foot with respect to social responsibilities for decades now. Maybe we already are doing these things but the current indicators make it look like we havent been or arent.

Zed 101

Just what vetting do you think can be undertaken? in order to get a work permit the club would be aware of any criminal proceedings or convictions, and if you think they don't do a background check beyond this I don't know what to say...

So what do a psychiatric profile and reject any player that might potentially have an increased risk of any criminal behaviour.... why not go full minority report?