Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
The way this is heading, it will be very difficult for him to continue as a United player. No issue with that happening but it’s really depressing to see how our attempts at squad building are. So much money wasted, so far behind and players turning out to be absolute pricks.

If he aint finished ETH will be gone by December
So the club will take a decision and then sack ETH based on the decision they make?

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
It would require a lot of mental gymnastics to come up with reasons why multiple seemingly unrelated women would speak up against Antony's behaviour at a time when the veracity of one alleged victim is questioned. I would still defer to the results of the investigation in case this is indeed some far fetched concocted scheme to profit off a potential payout, but I highly highly doubt that's the case anymore. Statistically speaking, multiple alleged victims speaking up is far more likely to indicate the uncomfortably obvious conclusion that Antony is indeed such a person - and that this behaviour is a pattern. It is difficult to stay neutral and not lean towards believing the accusers.

It's a horrible, sinking, feeling. Given the Greenwood situation, the Geoff Konopka invitation and now Antony, the whole club feels like one soulless, grotesque entity that makes me uneasy by association.

Teja

The silver lining to all this chaos is that the Glazers might be forced to sell if we end up having a bad season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we are going to loss Antony and Sancho, we can always play Diallo and Pellistri, or even Bruno or Mount on the right. I don't think we would be seriously weaken.

The United

I like him fighting for us on the field, but on the other hand, he seems to be a bit nuts, seemingly more interested in fighting with other players than playing his game last season. Does it mean he committed these? Probably not. But he is exactly not a cool head.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Club is also to blame in my opinion. I would have thought that one of the things the club should do before signing any player is to check their criminal records.
He doesn't have a record does he? Sounds like the May 2022 complaint didn't go anywhere and is only resurfacing now given the recent allegation. Not even sure clubs can do CRB checks on players. When I had to go to court about something years back I sure as hell didn't tell my employer and they never found out.

The case against Antony already looked pretty ominous before these fresh allegations, but arguably only better player recruitment, ie not ridiculously overpaying for him and buying a superior player, would've enabled us to avoid this scenario. Not sure it was a due diligence fail per se.

reelworld

Yes antony would have video called eth first and said hey boss I am going to beat this women and eth would have given a go ahead.
So there was a report to the police of violence against a woman back in May of 2022 before we bought him.
We really are digging ourselves into a deep hole with our lack of vetting.
simple background check would have uncover this

reelworld

He doesn't have a record does he? Sounds like the May 2022 complaint didn't go anywhere and is only resurfacing now given the recent allegation. Not even sure clubs can do CRB checks on players. When I had to go to court about something years back I sure as hell didn't tell my employer and they never found out.

The case against Antony already looked pretty ominous before these fresh allegations, but arguably only better player recruitment, ie not ridiculously overpaying for him and buying a superior player, would've enabled us to avoid this scenario. Not sure it was a due diligence fail per se.
I find it hard to believe that a billion dollar business like United does not have the resources to find out if a prospective player have a complaint against him or not. I mean, these journalists can uncovered it, so I'm pretty sure United can do it too if they put time and effort into it.

frostbite

I find it hard to believe that a billion dollar business like United does not have the resources to find out if a prospective player have a complaint against him or not. I mean, these journalists can uncovered it, so I'm pretty sure United can do it too if they put time and effort into it.
It is hard to believe that his own manager (ETH) does not know about this, either. Nobody in Ajax knew anything about this?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It is hard to believe that his own manager (ETH) does not know about this, either. Nobody in Ajax knew anything about this?
Managers don’t spend 24 h every day with players. Also some people are slightly or even completely different in private than at work. So if the allegations are true it is entirely possible that ETH didn’t know about this.

frostbite

Managers don’t spend 24 h every day with players. Also some people are slightly or even completely different in private than at work. So if the allegations are true it is entirely possible that ETH didn’t know about this.
Of course not. But they eat together, they travel together, they spend a lot of time together, they try to bond. And it is hard to believe that nobody, absolutely nobody in Ajax knew anything about this. And it is even harder to believe that someone in Ajax knew about it but they did not tell the manager.

Edit: On second thought, if I was the manager, I'd be very upset if the player himself did not come and tell me about it. It's better for the player to inform the manager, than the manager to find out about it from the press. If the player does not do that, then the manager cannot trust this player.

Last edited:

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I've no idea, but not sure a two year old claim in Brazil that hasn't resulted in charges would flag up. I highly doubt they can do Interpol or FBI level checks on players.

Eddy_JukeZ

If we are going to loss Antony and Sancho, we can always play Diallo and Pellistri, or even Bruno or Mount on the right. I don't think we would be seriously weaken.
Either way, it's symbolic of how much money we've wasted post-SAF.

Antony and Sancho may not be at the club next season and we've got 140m+ spent in outlay on them both.

And we wonder why we're toiling away from winning the league. We are simply wasting far too much money even with the constraints of the Glazers.

Himannv

He'd have been his manager at the time or perhaps it happened just before the player signed for Ajax, It's very hard to believe he wouldn't know about this IMO. He's aware and either believes the player is innocent or is more focused on what they contribute on the pitch. I reckon he's culpable.

CtrlAltDeLigt

Given Antony was signed after the Greenwood incident had happened, the club should take the blame of not being thorough with due diligence and process.

Can’t repeat mistakes again and again.

As for Antony, given this situation doesn’t settle out of court, even if he’s not guilty, he’ll be tried in the public court week in week out. United has left no stone unturned to become an easy target for the media who can paint the club as a shambolic mess and a group of degenerates. The narrative is all out there.

Feel for ETH, Ronaldo saga, Greenwood departure, sancho scuffle and now this, how bad can it get for him.

I cannot see this ending positively for Antony. Misery has become so commonplace at this club that news like this fails to generate to generate any surprise.

OmarUnited4ever

I think if there is no arrest or charge/conviction, then nothing will turn up in a background check, in the matter related to the Banker (Ingrid Lana) she did a TV interview and spoke about the incident and there is no police report made here, as for the case from Rayssa de Freitas, there is only a police report in Brazil, nothing else as in arrest or charge/conviction so the club would not have known about this, and no journalist uncovered this since it is Rayssa herself who went public, as is with Ingrid.

The case from the GF (Gabriela Cavallin), it only emerged after the club signed Antony, I think the first mention of the abuse was in Jan this year and then again in July this year and now.

So it is unreasonable to expect the club to have prior knowledge of this, unless you want the club to assume it is the case with any new player they want to sign and dig around to see if there is issues with the said player.

reelworld

So it is unreasonable to expect the club to have prior knowledge of this, unless you want the club to assume it is the case with any new player they want to sign and dig around to see if there is issues with the said player.
Considering the amount of money being invested in these players, I always thought this is standard procedure!

Rednotdead

We are at the stage now, where a mere accusation is accepted by the social media torch and pitchfork mob as indisputable evidence of guilt. There’s no such thing as a presumption of innocence any more, it’s now a presumption of guilt - whether the accused is later subject to legal proceedings or not. And that social media presumption of guilt stays.

Thus a life can be ruined by pure implication.

Rednotdead

Has to be binned like Greenwood. A similar amount of evidence is coming out.

Anyway this club is an absolute house on fire.
It's completely fecked.

Clearly the people running it have no idea what they are doing. Wonder how much ETH knew about his anger problems.....
It’s not “evidence”, it’s accusations. There’s a big difference.

We need an rvn

Complete agree it’s unreasonable for the club to have any prior knowledge of anything that’s not been reported.

The latter part though, I’d say that’s due diligence for any club to do some digging around / character references to see how the player lives his life etc. There’s always stories if you dig deep enough should someone be an utter ****.

A club can’t be held accountable though when signing someone if they have done all their due diligence, the player has no history of violence, lives their life like a complete role model etc and something like this pops up.

whether the accusations are true or not is another matter and I’m sitting in the fence on this. Innocent until proven guilty and not ‘guilty by social media’

Castia

Just goes to show how poorly run we are. £160m worth of wingers will hardly be missed just tells you everything you need to know about our recruitment

Anyway I’ve read there will be a tv interview over the weekend with one of the alleged victims…this story will explode in the coming days

Will be amazed if he’s in the United squad for our next game

Last edited:

Plastic Evra

Of course not. But they eat together, they travel together, they spend a lot of time together, they try to bond. And it is hard to believe that nobody, absolutely nobody in Ajax knew anything about this. And it is even harder to believe that someone in Ajax knew about it but they did not tell the manager.

Edit: On second thought, if I was the manager, I'd be very upset if the player himself did not come and tell me about it. It's better for the player to inform the manager, than the manager to find out about it from the press. If the player does not do that, then the manager cannot trust this player.
The complaint happened in May 2022, is it... The very tail end of that season and both ten Hag and Antony were within a few months at MUFC. If what you say is true (and I see how in a football team dynamics, it might), it's much more likely it might have happened here than there, all the more so since the alleged incidents didn't stop.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Honestly feel for u guys, not shutting you. Why these guys who litterally have the world at their feet do this is beyond me. They are so totally disconnecting from reality it’s unreal, the clubs surely should be talking some responsibly for pumping their egos and making them feel untouchable. Trust me I’m sure there are many, many more stories with other players waiting to come out, at many different clubs.

lilcurt

Considering the amount of money being invested in these players, I always thought this is standard procedure!
I think if it wasn't for the Greenwood situation, we wouldn't be questioning whether or not the club should have known pre-signing him. Ajax didn't know and we're happy to keep him until we came in with mega money.

The club does A LOT wrong, and who knows they may be complicit in a cover up with Anthony. But I don't think it is far to say we should have known prior to signing him.

ciastosz

a bit like SAF and Giggs?

Marcus

We should go back to the basic principle of innocent until proven guilty here or some other sort of reasonable balance. Let Antony go through the investigation process and if the authorities charge him, the club should suspend him (if permitted by contract) pending a conviction/acquittal. If mere allegations are enough to require clubs to suspend their players, then might there be a floodgate of easy suspensions just because allegations are made against players of not just United but also other clubs?

Cloud7

Fecking hell. At the very least I think the club should take him out of sight for a few weeks after the international break. Regardless of a charge or not, there’s no way he can be mentally in a fit state to play when there’s so much going on and new stuff continuing to come out.

Real Name

We should go back to the basic principle of innocent until proven guilty here or some other sort of reasonable balance. Let Antony go through the investigation process and if the authorities charge him, the club should suspend him (if permitted by contract) pending a conviction/acquittal. If mere allegations are enough to require clubs to suspend their players, then might there be a floodgate of easy suspensions just because allegations are made against players of other clubs?
Greenwood was suspended after he was arrested, right?

podurban2

Third woman coming forward now. He needs to be suspended. Good job to the club and everyone involved!