Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

Anustart89

Sadly yep

A bad media imagine would cost United a lot more than the 90m they paid for the player, I’m talking extremes here obviously but if sponsors start to drop and a massive or campaign against the club happens theres a point where it’s best to just put the player on gardening leave/suspension or whatever you want to call it
Like I've said in other posts. I think the media needs to be reminded that they aren't judge, jury and executioner, and if they wish to be so then to stop cherry-picking, which they're clearly doing if they're putting pressure on the club to suspend a player for allegations while not putting pressure on other clubs who are freely playing charged players on bail.

Castia

Like I've said in other posts. I think the media needs to be reminded that they aren't judge, jury and executioner, and if they wish to be so then to stop cherry-picking, which they're clearly doing if they're putting pressure on the club to suspend a player for allegations while not putting pressure on other clubs who are freely playing charged players on bail.
I agree but the British media are fecking scumbags and will do anything for clicks/buys and a Manchester United player facing these accusations is a massive story

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
You are using Greenwood's case where it did ended like you say. But we also know that some innocent people were locked for months and years too. So what do we have left then? Mob rule?
In this case, with this limited facts that we have, it does look that he is guilty. So that is it? Whatever happens next in court, he is guilty? Because "it seems that he is"?
Legally he's not guilty, that's why he's playing football in madrid and not in prison.

But we've all seen the pictures and heard the audio, which indicate he's guilty of abusing his partner, that much seems obvious. That's why we're talking about a second chance, he was extremely lucky and got away with it because he convinced his partner to withdraw from the case. Happens all the time.

So why put all your chips on a system that so regularly fail? Both at letting criminals walk free and imprisons innocent people? Makes no sense.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
From Reddit, Antony's interview:

Article Text:

Striker Antony detailed his relationship with his ex-girlfriend, DJ Gabriela Cavallin, and stated, in an exclusive interview with SBT's "Fofocalizando", this Friday (8), that he "never attacked any woman". He says that Cavallin manipulated the conversations that were made public last week by a report by "UOL". Gabriela accuses the player of threats and aggression.

Antony says that his ex-girlfriend did not go to live with him in Holland, when he was playing for Ajax, because he was married. He admitted to having cheated on his ex-wife and having the desire to keep Gabriela only as a lover. "(Gabriela) didn't go to live with me in the Netherlands. She went, but stayed in a hotel. Especially because, when I was getting involved with her, she knew that I was already married. But the moment she went to Amsterdam, she stayed in hotels," he said.

To "UOL", Gabriela stated that Antony was controlling and inconsistent in the relationship. The attacker alternated moments of affection with aggressive situations, with attacks of jealousy. In one of these cases, the athlete was reportedly irritated by the fact that she liked old photos of Gil Cebola with Neymar. "What I don't understand is that everything Gil Cebola posted about Neymar you liked. Even though it's an old photo. There's even a commented photo", shows the UOL report. In an interview with "Fofocalizando", Antony denies being controlling.

"No. Of course not (I didn't think I was controlling). As I said, it was something between both parties. There were clothes that I commented on. But she went out several times wearing short clothes. I already (asked her to change her clothes). There were places that I think she could go more behaved. I said: "for me, it's very vulgar", "said the attacker.

According to Gabriela, in June 2022, Antony had a jealous attack after seeing photos of the DJ in a nightclub. He allegedly put her in the car on the way out, attacked her and threatened to throw her out of the car at high speed. "He said that if I didn't stay with him, I wouldn't stay with anyone. That I was pregnant with his child. Either I would stay with him or he, he and our son would die. I told him that I was pregnant, that he was scaring me, making my heart race. I was shaking with fear", said Cavallin. He denies it.

"I never said that. The security guard took me to the car and at that moment she started to get upset inside the car. She questions why I went to the club and didn't call her. She started cursing me, said it was going to end my career. She pushed me, but not hard. At that moment, I didn't even hold her or anything. Never (I pulled her hair). Never (I threatened to throw her out of the vehicle). There are many things that she's saying it's not true," he said.

Antony declared that Gabriela changed the conversations exposed in the UOL report. "There are things that were altered on her part in the prints. She sends a message and deletes one that I sent, for example one that I ask for "forgiveness". She manipulated it and I have proof of all of this. I will contact my lawyers ".

Asked about the print in which the athlete says he wants Gabriela Cavallin to die, Antony clarifies. "Yes (I came to wish her dead). But you need to see the context of the story. It didn't have the meaning of" die ", it was more of a curse word, just like she already did", he said.

Gabriela claims to have been injured with a headbutt, which ended up causing a cut on her head. The image of the injury was attached to the inquiry and revealed by UOL (see below). Antony denies having even touched the DJ. "At no point did I touch her. I left training in the morning and after training I went to the hotel. We had lunch together, everything was normal, and one thing that bothered her was when I said I needed to go. Me sitting on the bed , she put her hand on my face. I stayed in the bathroom for five minutes. She didn't let me leave. She threw a plate at me, I held her back. At no point did I touch her. When she sent this photo (of the cut on her head) , I was already at home. She was not hurt. I held her and calmed her down, after a while she calmed down", he said.

The DJ stated that the player would have displaced the silicone prosthesis on his chest with a punch. "I don't remember exactly who the fight was over, but it was someone I had hooked up with years ago. He punched me in the chest and my silicone turned. And then I came to Brazil to operate. I had to change the prosthesis He said 'I didn't mean to hurt you, I didn't mean to, it wasn't a punch, I just pushed you, I just held you against the wall'", says Cavallin. Again, Antony denies having physically attacked her.

"Never. Me punching a woman in the chest? It was diagnosed that she had a business to trade in silicone since 2020", he said. "She told me that her silicone (had a problem) because she fell in the bathroom".

Gabriela reported that, in May 2023, Antony tried to hit her in the face with a glass bowl. She defended herself with her hand, which ended up cut, exposing bones in her finger. "Antony locked the door of the house and wouldn't let me leave, and I had my finger open, all hurt. He broke my things, took my passport. His mother and stepfather even arrested him inside the football court, he had a football court inside the living room, surrounded by a fence, like a fence. He was upset, trying to get out of the court in any way, throwing a football at me, throwing a cell phone at me. He was talking that he was going to kill me, that he was going to kill himself", said DJ.

The player version is completely different. He says that nothing reported by Gabriela happened. "Of course not (none of that happened). She was very upset, she had been drinking a lot. We were at a barbecue, she had been drinking a lot. She was sitting on the sofa, and I had drunk a glass of gin. She was holding her glass and asked her to stop drinking. I asked for the glass and she held it. I didn't even pull it, she pushed it down. I wanted her to stop drinking. My mother helps her, washes her finger, asks a friend of mine buy bandages. My physiotherapist came home. They don't even have a key to the house court. There's no padlock, there's nothing", he said.

After the conversations became public, Antony was cut from the Brazilian team . The striker also responded to what he felt when he discovered that he would not be defending Brazil in this World Cup qualifying debut. "It was difficult (being cut from the national team). I was very sorry, because it is something that I am 100% sure is not true. It is not easy, we work and fight to make dreams come true, even more so when we wear the Brazilian team shirt", he said.

The striker was in Brazil after the call-up and, after finishing the exclusive interview with "Fofocalizando", he returned to England and joined his Manchester United teammates. The club is aware of the investigation and is following the case closely. Antony says he does not fear a termination with the team.

"It's something that doesn't cross my mind (losing the contract with Manchester). The truth will come out", he declared.

Gabriela made complaints against Antony in Brazil and England. Processes are underway in both countries. In addition to the DJ, two other women also accuse the athlete of assault.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Legally he's not guilty, that's why he's playing football in madrid and not in prison.

But we've all seen the pictures and heard the audio, which indicate he's guilty of abusing his partner, that much seems obvious. That's why we're talking about a second chance, he was extremely lucky and got away with it because he convinced his partner to withdraw from the case. Happens all the time.

So why put all your chips on a system that so regularly fail? Both at letting criminals walk free and imprisons innocent people? Makes no sense.
I agree with you that legal system is flawed (and corrupt in same cases). Absolutely. And it sucks to be that person who is fecked by legal system. But between mob rule (which we have today often) and legal system, i choose legal system.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I agree with you that legal system is flawed (and corrupt in same cases). Absolutely. And it sucks to be that person who is fecked by legal system. But between mob rule (which we have today often) and legal system, i choose legal system.
But that's hyperbole isn't it? There is no mob and no one is trying to do justice with their own hands, many people are just against him playing for their football club. They accept what the justice system has done but based on what they saw and heard, they don't like him and don't want to be associated with him. Going from this to mob rule is really pushing it.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
This situation keeps getting murkier. No doubt he was advised to not say anything, but he's coming out with specific counter statements to some of the claims. If not true, they'll be used against him, legally. He's also gone with the 'I'll admit to tangential wrongdoings so it seems like I'm telling the truth' approach, legitimate or otherwise, with the admission to adultery.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So... in a case such at his. Extremely he said she said. Obviously don't need to pick a side or believe one or the other, but inevitably the club will come under enormous scrutiny. I have no idea what the right move even is here. Do they suspend him pending the investigation? Or do they play him until the police take a next step? Shit like this could go for months which is why the suspension route to me is a tough one to take even if ultimately guilty.

My stance on what clubs should do is really going the route of "just go with the police decision ultimately". The club are out of their depth in those situations, the police are on it and it's up to them to get to the bottom, so I don't think it's really a fair solution for them to suspend pending investigation like many are saying. As that can open the door to spiteful, strategic accusations to force players to miss important opportunities. Just something to keep mind of.

IMO, for the 0 it's worth, is that the "other accusers" help her case more than anything she's said or the way she's said it and makes me believe he is a piece of shit, but without them I dunno.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
In portuguese, in these topics, "touch her" is used as "hurt her" not literally touch someone.

wr8_utd

:'(
From Reddit, Antony's interview:
Even if he does ultimately end up being innocent, which one should hope he is, he comes across as quite a douchebag. Also the him being controlling thing definitely seems on point, even in the way he describes incidents.

Eddy_JukeZ

Even if he does ultimately end up being innocent, which one should hope he is, he comes across as quite a douchebag. Also the him being controlling thing definitely seems on point, even in the way he describes incidents.
You can argue he came across that way regardless of the incidents.

DavelinaJolie

It was translated so gotta keep that in mind for these little bits
Yeah I was wondering if something may come across differently in translation.

I'm not really sure there's anything constructive you can say about what he has said. I'm just going to ignore all of this now because it's going to be messy and frankly it's already pretty ugly. As the MG threads have proved, there's little point in really discussing it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
But that's hyperbole isn't it? There is no mob and no one is trying to do justice with their own hands, many people are just against him playing for their football club. They accept what the justice system has done but based on what they saw and heard, they don't like him and don't want to be associated with him. Going from this to mob rule is really pushing it.
But it is a mob rule. Look how many people (in general, not only Caf) are convinced (not just that they think) that he is guilty. And they demand from the club to at least suspend him. Look at all this pressure on club also.
I am strong believer in "innocent until proven guilty". And until he is found guilty, he should be free to live his life. If he is guilty then burn the violent prick.

I am with you with outrage towards women, child (and animals:wenger:) abusers. They need to be punished severely. But Antony is already basically proven guilty without trial.

Linkage

I've been with a girl in the past who used to behave eerily similar to what Anthony described in those last tweets.

She was not mentally unstable or in need of medical help, was just a conniving & manipultive person to put it nicely. Who would create a situation whenever she wouldn't get her way with something. Like throw plates, glasses or anything else easy to smash.

Most of the times my first instinct was always to leave the house but at times she made that difficult as well. So have had to hold her hand or by her arms etc. Which she used to then go and tell my friends and family that I was hitting her.

Was the worst 3 years of my life. And couldn't even leave her as she had told me she'd register a rape case against me if I did.

Another comparable thing is that to trigger me, to get me to react in anyway she'd say I was terrible at things she knew I took pride in being good at.

Anyways, not saying Anthony's case is the same and we should blindly side by him and turn against her.

It just reminded me of my horrid past and thought it might be good to share here and remind people in this thread that there still might be a chance that he's not guilty.

NewDawnFades

I am strong believer in "innocent until proven guilty". And until he is found guilty, he should be free to live his life. If he is guilty then burn the violent prick.
This is a position that puts a heck of a lot of trust in the legal system in both directions.

What matters is Greenwood was never tried, yet we all know what we know.

Malone_Post

Well if nothing else. That interview does confirm that he’s a throughly unlikable bloke.

It’s always the ones you least suspect.

I_am_zlatan

Calls for the club to ban him with an ongoing legal process are stupid, and if the media are calling for the club to take action the club should just respond with the Arsenal guy's name, who is actually charged and on bail, and ask them why they are letting him have a free ride.
The Arsenal guy hasn't been charged. Also I couldn't care less what other clubs are doing and would be more worried about supporting a team with someone potentially abusing women playing.

I don't think he should be suspended unless he is officially charged but at the same time the amount of people who seem to put winning games and protecting assets above everything else is what I hate about this and the Greenwood situation.

SAF is the GOAT

ngl, his statements gives me some Amber Heard type of vibe. The woman sounds crazy and vindictive.

JediSith

There’s a tv interview with one of the alleged victims airing over the weekend it’s more thank likely going to be damning isn’t it. If/when he’s arrested will be the turning point

I mean Greenwood’s partner was never going to press charges but it seems these will do it could be worse
Antony has also done what looks like a tv interview.

talking robot

100% agree with you.

talking robot

The move by Antony to get his side of the story out there, and get ahead of the impending mob verdict, is smart. If he had waited in silence while the courts do their job, he'd probably have been heavily penalised at United since the club doesn't have the brains or backbone to defend truth. They just care about image, which is in turn linked to social media mob opinion.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's quite a strident defence on Antony's part, insofar as he's not just saying he's innocent but also claiming he actually has evidence that proves his innocence and has vowed to clear his name.

If that's the case, then he should be fine and his accuser is in a lot of trouble, as he will presumably pursue legal action against her. But of course if it turns out he doesn't have evidence proving his claim or if he tries to settle rather that prove his innocence as he has promised then that strident position will come back to bite him in terms of public opinion.

Abraxas

Coming out with not hitting "any woman" is not a great indicator. Could just be the translation but that's distancing at its finest. You would expect someone with honesty to be a little more direct and confronting towards the specific accusation and firmly deny that rather than "any woman." It's a specific woman with a name. It's only a little tidbit and doesn't mean too much by itself but it's not really an indicator I want to see in a denial.

hobbers

Kinda twigged to this already based on how they've conducted themselves, but he and his ex are probably both pretty nasty people when the cameras are away. Angry, jealous and prone to violent outbursts.

Same dynamic as Heard and Depp. Probably the same with Greenwood and his partner.

We'll see what comes out in the next exclusive tv interview, now featuring a half time show. The way this is all being conducted via tv interviews is just rank.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
The move by Antony to get his side of the story out there, and get ahead of the impending mob verdict, is smart. If he had waited in silence while the courts do their job, he'd probably have been heavily penalised at United since the club doesn't have the brains or backbone to defend truth. They just care about image, which is in turn linked to social media mob opinion.
He’s probably seen what’s happened with the Greenwood situation and thought, ‘feck that, I’m not gonna let the media control the narrative’.

Who knows if that’s the right or wrong thing to do, but IF someone were innocent of such accusations it would be very hard to sit there and watch the media and rabid social media Karens take over the situation.

But again, I don’t think him speaking out or staying silent should have any sway on people’s opinions.

I don’t think people should even have an opinion until the legal process has been completed or abandoned. It’s ludicrous.

These kind of cases turn the issues into a repulsive soap opera / Jeremy Kyle type scenario where the audience bleats and boos and jeers and cheers and the serious issues are bastardised and warped into entertainment.

It’s pathetic.

In this thread and the Greenwood case the amount of times I’ve read people say, ‘I need to hear an explanation’, ‘until I have it explained to me why this was said’ etc - and it’s like, you have nothing to do with this, nor do I. You are not owed any explanation or information other than the legal outcome. You can then either accept that, or essentially sink into gossip and conspiracy.

I find it completely insane that people can’t grasp this.

NLunited

I don’t want to speculate like so many do here. From what I’ve read above, already calling him guilty seems very premature.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Legally, doubtedly so.
There no key witness other than private doctor whom could've reported it long ago but both side can't give legit reason why he didn't. So benefit of the doubt etc
The legal standard for a doctor reporting something to the police, without a patient's permission, is very high due to confidentiality/privacy considerstions. A cut finger isn't neccesarily even suspicious so there may have been nothing to report.

I suspect this aspect of the story is a distraction from the main issue.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He’s probably seen what’s happened with the Greenwood situation and thought, ‘feck that, I’m not gonna let the media control the narrative’.

Who knows if that’s the right or wrong thing to do, but IF someone were innocent of such accusations it would be very hard to sit there and watch the media and rabid social media Karens take over the situation.

But again, I don’t think him speaking out or staying silent should have any sway on people’s opinions.

I don’t think people should even have an opinion until the legal process has been completed or abandoned. It’s ludicrous.

These kind of cases turn the issues into a repulsive soap opera / Jeremy Kyle type scenario where the audience bleats and boos and jeers and cheers and the serious issues are bastardised and warped into entertainment.

It’s pathetic.

In this thread and the Greenwood case the amount of times I’ve read people say, ‘I need to hear an explanation’, ‘until I have it explained to me why this was said’ etc - and it’s like, you have nothing to do with this, nor do I. You are not owed any explanation or information other than the legal outcome. You can then either accept that, or essentially sink into gossip and conspiracy.

I find it completely insane that people can’t grasp this.
Yes, but there is a flip side to this.

The fans aren't entitled to an explanation. But the players also aren't entitled to any benefit of the doubt whatsoever from the public, who are allowed to believe what they like based on the information they have access to. And the explanation the player does or does not put forward will feed into what the public believes.

This is particularly relevant in the Greenwood case given the particularly compelling evidence against him that was made public. He is entitled to not put forward an explanation, but he also has to accept the consequences of not doing so. Which will inevitably include a much greater backlash from the public and greater pressure on clubs/sponsors not to associate with him.

Because while any given group of fans aren't entitled to an explanation from a player, they are entitled to say "if he does not provide an explanation then we do not want him playing for our club anymore and we will do everything we can to pressure our club so that he doesn't". That's their right.

Ted Lasso

Mason stayed silent and that didnt help him at all.
No matter what these players do there will be downsides.
What didn't help him was violating his bail twice to go directly to the victim, soon after which charges were dropped.

He'd have been better off silent rather than revealing the true nature of his situation, clear as day regardless of charges.