Antony under investigation by Brazilian authorities for domestic abuse | Back in the squad

Swedish_Plumber

Can’t fault the club for ‘suspending’ him. What confuses me is why there seems to be massive pressure on us doing the right thing when other high profile PL players with allegations continued to play.

Double standards don’t help those who fall victim to this type of behaviour.

Laurencio

Can’t fault the club for ‘suspending’ him. What confuses me is why there seems to be massive pressure on us doing the right thing when other high profile PL players with allegations continued to play.

Man Utd is big enough and influential enough to single handedly change the way these issues are addressed in football. It matters more here.

Have we got 11 players?
Sancho seems likely to get a chance to prove Ten Hag wrong I suppose`?

Crimson King

It says he hasn't been suspended though?

Zora

Where there’s smoke, there’s usually a fire.

Can we not get tribalistic (RAWKish) about this? Yes, he’s not been proven guilty of anything. But if all of this is true, THREE separate cases - then he can feck off.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Irrespective of what people think of him, you can’t deny that ten Hag has had some abysmal luck with off-field happenings since joining.
Yeah, the minute the guy walked into the club he had issues to deal with. He had the Ronaldo situation as soon as he came in. Then the whole Sancho thing which appeared to have been handled well initially, but has now gone sideways. Then we had the spotlight on Maguire and that whole situation. Greenwood and now Antony for their off-field issues. Not to mention the shitshow that is the club ownership...

Fecking circus.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Here’s hoping Pellestri gets a run out, at least we should see some crosses coming in from the right.
Every cloud an all that.
I expect him to get virtually no minutes except maybe some off the bench. ETH will just play Bruno on the right or go with Rashford there with Garnacho on the left. Pellistri probably still has 3-4 players preferred over him on the right.

JonnyIreland

This club is such an embarrassment, even if these allegations turn out to be false. The media love it too -I just got a breaking news alert on my phone from BBC News, similar to a global event like the Morocco earthquake happening ffs.

Swedish_Plumber

Man Utd is big enough and influential enough to single handedly change the way these issues are addressed in football. It matters more here.

Sancho seems likely to get a chance to prove Ten Hag wrong I suppose`?
Here’s hoping! Would be nice if some good came of this shit.

Anustart89

I disagree with the notion that we’re so much bigger than Arsenal, just to name a completely random example, in this context.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Happy to see alternatives to Antony for a while. Really hoping we don’t see a period of self-harm from ETH whilst he is out. Kiss it simple, stupid.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

There's a legal reason the press can't and haven't named the Arsenal bloke.

It's not that they've giving it less coverage than Antony and Greenwood, they can't cover it all.

Fts 74

I think this is the right call.

No mention of suspension hopefully it gets sorted out away from the glare of him still playing.What a terrible start to a season I and I'm sure a lot of others were optimistic about.

chocolate cloud

I'd love to see us use a different formation now Antony is out and Sancho will unlikely play.

Onana, Back 4, Casemiro, Amrabat, Eriksen, Fernandes, Rashford, Hojlund.

Flood the midfield with good possession players. Sacrifice the wings. Play Rashford and Fernandes more central behind Hojlund.

Garnacho and Pellistri to come on if chasing the game with Martial.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing the team without Antony. We have a big week coming up.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
The way society is starting to assume someone is guilty before any proof is put forward in a courtroom is very dangerous. People have lost their careers, their families and ended up in prison only to be declared innocent years after the supposed incidents.

He could be guilty, but it could be 3 people wanting to get rich quick. That is why the courts presume someone innocent until proven guilty.

tomaldinho1

I’m kind of disappointed here despite it being the most sensible option because so far he’s not been charged with anything and there seems to be a lot of a question marks about multiple parts of the allegations against him. The greenwood case had the audio which put the club into a corner but this one doesn’t have any additional factors to it aside from the media doing their best to monetise the United fanbase’s anger.

Anustart89

There's a legal reason the press can't and haven't named the Arsenal bloke.

It's not that they've giving it less coverage than Antony and Greenwood, they can't cover it all.
I’m a bit curious about why this is, not living in England. Wasn’t Mendy named in a similar legal situation? And why is it more important to not mention a guy that is charged and out on repeated bail as opposed to someone only accused of something?

chocolate cloud

Surely as a result of Greenwood, Antony and to a lesser different extent Sancho that the club needs to discuss immediately with the players about their relationships with women/men.

We need to stop this utter nonsense going forward. Social media for all the players needs to be kept tight and all the players need to be told to avoid situations that cause embarrassment on the club. It's not rocket science.

AneRu

The way society is starting to assume someone is guilty before any proof is put forward in a courtroom is very dangerous. People have lost their careers, their families and ended up in prison only to be declared innocent years after the supposed incidents.

He could be guilty, but it could be 3 people wanting to get rich quick. That is why the courts presume someone innocent until proven guilty.
It's sad and with spineless clubs like ours there is no telling where it will end. Sometimes you have to be hard-nosed and ride through the turmoil.

Abraxas

He hasn't been playing very well but it's still a blow, mainly because Diallo who would be my first choice to come in is injured. It would have been the perfect opportunity for him because ETH has a lot of loyalty to Antony it seems.

Not entirely sure what the best option is. I don't think right footed attacking midfielders playing wide right works. They're on their wrong foot to cut in and they have zero pace to actually beat anyone and cause a threat. Not enough dynamism in that. So maybe it's a chance for Pellistri?

wolvored

I know this is slightly off topic, but while Antony isnt here, letting Sancho play again whilst he still has the statement up, is another player power win against the manager, like what the club supposedly are trying to stamp out. Fergie rightly would have shoved him in reserves and sold him asap. TH should at least make him publically apologise for undermining him before having him back. Give Pellestri, Amad, Mount or Bruno game time if Sancho doesnt agree.

bstb3

This seems like a really good compromise to be fair. Not sure if it would have come from the club or the player, but I think it's for the best. Avoids (ish) distractions in the dressing room, keeps the focus on the pitch and allows Antony to focus on the issues. Also means we can't be accused or pressured on playing someone with such nasty claims against them.

A refreshingly smart and sympathetic move.

Aretak

I think this is the right call.

No mention of suspension hopefully it gets sorted out away from the glare of him still playing.What a terrible start to a season I and I'm sure a lot of others were optimistic about.
This just seems like a suspension by any other name. It may have been "mutually agreed" that it's for the best, but he's ultimately still been told to stay away from the club for an indefinite period of time. Legal systems generally aren't known for their speed. It wouldn't be a shock if it took the rest of the season or even longer to reach some definitive outcome that would allow him to return (or not). This isn't something that's going to all be sorted in a few weeks and then he'll be back.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I’m a bit curious about why this is, not living in England. Wasn’t Mendy named in a similar legal situation? And why is it more important to not mention a guy that is charged and out on repeated bail as opposed to someone only accused of something?
I don't know the exact details of why they can't name Arsenal's Voldemort, just that they can't.

They're not making a judgement call on the seriousness of the allegations or what they think will sell more papers.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
This club's a joke, once again bowing to trial by social media and appeasing the cancel culture brigade. I bet Getafe are licking their lips.