Antwerp

oskarutd

The link is put to good use again. Luke Giverin is being loaned there tomorrow. He will stay there until January.

King_Eric

Antwerp is very lucky and happy to have avoided bankruptcy. Now there's a new board, new president I'm surprised the link between the clubs is still there

EDogen

Should be a good move for both Giverin and van Velzen, they both had a good year last term.

Giverin who always went a bit under the radar for me did a good job every time I saw him play last season, most times at left back but at the end of the season he played some odd game in centre mid just in front of the defence and there he played very well. He has started this season where he left the last one playing in midfield and has impressed during the pre season. With the large numbers of midfielders that we currently have in our youth ranks it will be good to send some on loan and therefore Giverin to Antwerp should be a good move. First team experience will always bring something good out of it.

Van Velzen then, I watched most academy games last season and for me his performances were a bit up and down. At times when everything clicked he was a real threat cutting in from wide positions with his pace, technique and strength. He just needs to perform on a more constant level and he could develop into an interesting player. A bit selfish at times but that is also something that might grow away with experience and playing among men in Belgium will give him just that so I´m pleased with the move for him as well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We've not had great success from loaning players there have we? Best one I remember making it after going there is O'Shea.

EDogen

We've not had great success from loaning players there have we? Best one I remember making it after going there is O'Shea.
Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson, Danny Simpson, Ryan Shawcross, Phil Bardsley.

So Evans and some decent PL players.

SkeppyRed

Lineups Game Winner 2012/13
Sending them to Antwerp is probably as much about developing their character as professionals from the experience as it is about the playing time. This is something all the players who have gone there in the past have referred to, from O'shea right up to John Cofie last season.

It would be great if there is any Antwerp fans on here who could let us know how they got on if possible, as its hard for us to follow them.

SkeppyRed

Ronnie Wallwork got a life ban reduced on appeal for grabbing a ref by the throat whilst out there on loan. Lets just hope they get on better than he did.

Danish Wizard

It's not just about the football. The young kids learn a lot from living in a different country on their own. Suddenly they have to do all the shopping, cooking, cleaning and s on them self. I think that plays a huge part, when United send youngsters to Belgium. It's a fantastic opportunity for them, to grow up and develop.

lysglimt

Scout
What punishment did Danny Higginbottom receive in the Wallwork-thing ? He was involved as well....

And another question...of all the United-players 17 or so years or older, Luke Giverin is the one player I honestly I can say I have practically never seen play. And I couldn't in a million years picture him being sent out to Antwerpen - what are his strenghts really ?

SkeppyRed

What punishment did Danny Higginbottom receive in the Wallwork-thing ? He was involved as well....

And another question...of all the United-players 17 or so years or older, Luke Giverin is the one player I honestly I can say I have practically never seen play. And I couldn't in a million years picture him being sent out to Antwerpen - what are his strenghts really ?
Yes Higginbottom was also involved and got a couple of months ban. Not sure what he did mind.

Giverin is in the same year group as Tunnicliffe, Lingard, Thorpe, etc but never really got a look in due to him being a quite small and frail for his age, even more so than Lingard was. However last year he showed improvements from previous seasons in the games I saw of him and must of showed a lot in training because the club kept faith and confidence in him. He has good technical ability from what small bits I have seen. He finally grew a bit and played for the first team at the end of the season in Harry Greggs testimonial, as well as impressing in pre-season apparently.

EDogen

If you ask Giverin himself he would say: "Technique is one of my biggest strengths and passing. Knowing what to do when I get the ball. I have a vision in my mind where I know what I want to do when I get the ball. Passing and technique but also attitude to work."

More from him can be found here

lysglimt

Scout
Yes Higginbottom was also involved and got a couple of months ban. Not sure what he did mind.

QUOTE]

My memory may be playing tricks on me - but I have this feeling that Wallwork pushed the referee against a wall in the tunnel and Higginbottom was yelling at the ref but not actually physically abusing him. Wallwork initially received a life-long ban as I recall it - but his sentence was made a lot milder when several witnesses could confirm that his abuse of the referee was nowhere as bad as the referee claimed.

But this is just a vague memory

dr.twinny

Manchester United pair Luke Giverin and Gyliano van Velzen both played for Royal Antwerp as they drew 2-2 with R.C.S. Visé yesterday.

The duo, who joined the club in early September, both started the match.

Decotron

We basically ruined him a bit over the last 12months. ive lost count of how many times he started upfront on his tod which is far from his best position.

Id worry about his pace though personally.

SkeppyRed

We basically ruined him a bit over the last 12months. ive lost count of how many times he started upfront on his tod which is far from his best position.

Id worry about his pace though personally.
Not sure about that, he actually improved over the course of last season. Problem is he wasn't very good to start off with.

He does have some assets such as that he is a good dribbler, has decent pace and a good shot. However he badly lacks in other areas of his game.

Playing for Antwerp at 18 isn't a bad thing for his development at all so we'll just have to see if he has improved when he returns. Same with Giverin, who a year ago I doubt anyone outside the club would give even the slightest chance to of becoming a good player, but apparently he's improving fast and impressing.

Decotron

Not sure about that, he actually improved over the course of last season. Problem is he wasn't very good to start off with.

He does have some assets such as that he is a good dribbler, has decent pace and a good shot. However he badly lacks in other areas of his game.

Playing for Antwerp at 18 isn't a bad thing for his development at all so we'll just have to see if he has improved when he returns. Same with Giverin, who a year ago I doubt anyone outside the club would give even the slightest chance to of becoming a good player, but apparently he's improving fast and impressing.
Ah yeah not saying he didnt improve, I think theres always going to be some natural progression but playing him up top on his own wasnt the greatest idea we've ever had. It was obviously down to the lack of strikers at that time I suppose.

Drainy

Playing up front for a bit actually helped him, in my opinion. His main problem is that he doesn't know when to release the football, playing up front if you don't release the ball at the right time then you lose it. He did improve after a difficult start.

SkeppyRed

Van velzen got his first senior goal this week in a 2-0 win for Antwerp. Luke Giverin played a part in both goals and seems to be impressing.

Highlights from the game including both goals can be found in this link;

http://youtu.be/XpDw8QjoVww

Cevno

Giverin scored the winner against Lommel in a 1-0 win for Antwerp.

Seems to be impressing there.

Cevno

Was going through a Antwerp forum with a translator -

http://www.wijzijnantwerp.org/forum/index.php

Giverin seems to be playing DM and doing well. They started well but have tailed off in the last month or so losing 4 games in a row. Seem to be talking/hoping about more players coming from us.

Anyone else think we should send 2/3 of the U18's or those between u18 and U21's out on loan there, and help them go up ? Would be a good experience for the players and also help them maybe make a promotion push which could help us in future seasons ?

Cevno

A newbie Antwerp fan with user name "Antwerp" Pm'd saying that there are rumors about a couple of players going out there. Any one have a idea who they could be?

He says that Giverin is doing very well there too, in different positions.

lysglimt

Scout
A newbie Antwerp fan with user name "Antwerp" Pm'd saying that there are rumors about a couple of players going out there. Any one have a idea who they could be?

I just don't see the point - if they had been playing in the Belgian 1 division then fine - but as it is now...sorry!

And yes there are examples of players doing really well and coming back with more experience. Yes but chances are they would have done equally well in the Championship for instance

Cevno

We send players there usually who won't get a Championship loan. It's a good experience for the young players to get a foreign experience and go outside the club's ambit.

And if we can help them get promoted this season, then it will be more beneficial for us too as this is a long term partnership now.

Even Evans spoke of how his time there helped him IIRC.

Eirik Raude

I just don't see the point - if they had been playing in the Belgian 1 division then fine - but as it is now...sorry!

And yes there are examples of players doing really well and coming back with more experience. Yes but chances are they would have done equally well in the Championship for instance
Maybe the players we send there are players that we might not think will get a lot of playing time in the Championship, but are almost guaranteed to get a lot of first team experience in Antwerp. Also, we have had a link with them for many years, so it is perhaps safer to send them there than to send them to a random Championship club. I guess for a lot of the players we send there, the most important thing is just getting the experience of being on a first team, and then they will be better prepared for loans on a higher level a little later on (or, they fail to impress and are let go/needs to spend more time in the reserves before they get another chance on loan).

MPTutd

Completely guessing here, but I am thinking Vermijl is one, and then either Thorpe, Cole, Ekengamene or James.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Completely guessing here, but I am thinking Vermijl is one, and then either Thorpe, Cole, Ekengamene or James.
I was speaking to a parent of a former English United youth player who had been on loan at Antwerp. They told me that him and the English lads that went out there really didn't enjoy going to Antwerp, they found the lifestyle very boring. Since then we really haven't been sending very many players out there and I don't think that we have sent any English players there in a while. It is no secret that the English are poor at assimilating to foreign cultural climes, that dynamic must be even more pronounced with younger people. I have always wondered if that was the reason for our scaling back on loans there.

edit: Luke Givern is there, English I think.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I was speaking to a parent of a former English United youth player who had been on loan at Antwerp. They told me that him and the English lads that went out there really didn't enjoy going to Antwerp, they found the lifestyle very boring. Since then we really haven't been sending very many players out there and I don't think that we have sent any English players there in a while. It is no secret that the English are poor at assimilating to foreign cultural climes, that dynamic must be even more pronounced with younger people. I have always wondered if that was the reason for our scaling back on loans there.

edit: Luke Givern is there, English I think.
That's a massive statement!

As a Brit having lived abroad I would say almost the opposite.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
That's a massive statement!

As a Brit having lived abroad I would say almost the opposite.
Really? Have you gone to all the most popular holiday destinations? They're like mini-Britian with better weather.

Brightonian

Really? Have you gone to all the most popular holiday destinations? They're like mini-Britian with better weather.
Holiday resorts in not being authentic cultural experiences shocker. That's hardly unique to the English.

As an Englishman who's travelled a lot, I'm with Mr. MUJAC. A lot of us do it very well. It's just that when people go to the sorts of places you're talking about, they're not looking to 'assimilate'. They just go there for sunny weather and a nice beach.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Work and holiday are two totally different things.

People from Spain, Italy etc who come over here for a holiday are hardly integrating are they?

There are hundreds of thousands of British ex-Pats living all over the world with their families and integrating very nicely.

There is absolutely no data at all that suggests English people don't travel well.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Work and holiday are two totally different things.

People from Spain, Italy etc who come over here for a holiday are hardly integrating are they?

There are hundreds of thousands of British ex-Pats living all over the world with their families and integrating very nicely.

There is absolutely no data at all that suggests English people don't travel well.
We are talking about young footballers here. Look at the paucity of English players who seek their fortunes abroad, the number that go abroad and are successful over a period of years is even smaller.

Cevno

That's because they don't need to in large part really. They get paid the most anywhere at a young age, and there are enough clubs in England that get decent support/crowds and play at a competitive standard.

Why would they leave their home country to go abroad, when they can even move to bigger clubs in the same if they want too ?