Anyone else feeling desensitised to our decline?

OB

I do expect less now. If we win it does make me very happy. But if we lose, it doesn't come as a surprise. Just a little disappointment.

iKeano

Jose should look into the academy . He will find youngsters with fight and commitment there . Players like Tuanzbe, Riley , Williams , Mensah ,Wilock , Harrop will show more fight and character
Exactly. He was bemoaning having 2 left backs in centre back yesterday - meanwhile Jones was on the bench. Now I'm not saying Jones should have been in the XI... far from it!
My point is that if you have a 'centre back' that's fit (for the first time in forever) and you still play two left backs in centre back... then how far down the pecking order is Jones, and why bother with him on the bench in the first place?!
Get TFM or Tuanzbe in there & ship Jones off to the glue factory where he belongs.

Sparky10Legend

Having watched people die etc United losing really doesnt bother me like it did in my late teens/20's (im now 43).

#Perspective

Hed Zitin

Expectations are as low as they have ever been. Poor results are easier and easier to deal with when it constantly happens. It's easy to be desensitised.

I'm not desensitised to the players though. I don't like the vast majority of these players.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't even get that upset when we lose anymore. It's almost expected.

What bothers me is players showing no fight or connection to the support.

Will Absolute

I'm going to start trying this. It's a bit unfair on my family me being in a bad mood half the time. How did you manage it?
That's a tough one. I probably gave myself more credit than I deserve for making a conscious decision to keep the club at arm's length. For me it just happened naturally, particularly with the awful football of last year. All the disappointment takes its toll, and eventually you just cauterize the wound.

I miss not being as passionate about United as I was though. There aren't many things in ordinary life where your emotions are so completely engaged and can be overturned in 5 seconds!

Runner

I'm angry when we play well (stoke) but don't manage to get a result. Ferguson was the master at grinding out results in games like that. Overall, our squad is playing below their level and it's frustrating because we're better than that.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
That's a tough one. I probably gave myself more credit than I deserve for making a conscious decision to keep the club at arm's length. For me it just happened naturally, particularly with the awful football of last year. All the disappointment takes its toll, and eventually you just cauterize the wound.

I miss not being as passionate about United as I was though. There aren't many things in ordinary life where your emotions are so completely engaged and can be overturned in 5 seconds!
I did start to desensitise under LVG but got my spirits up again this season. Tough times.

HumblePieEyed

I live in Los Angeles, so to see a match live I usually have to wake up between 4am to 7am on a Saturday, which I did religiously for years, making a good breakfast for halftime, and usually falling asleep face down on a bar around 11pm on Saturday nights. But as the Moyes era got halfway through, I started recording the games, then watching them at a more reasonable hour, like 9am. Still watched every single minute, although I'll admit it was nice zipping thru halftime and right into the second half.

With Van Gaal, I started saving the games til after I had done most of my Saturday chores, and finished watching American College Football games, but still watched every single minute, now with a pizza and a bottle of red wine, even better than watching with breakfast. But at the very end of last year, I started fast forwarding a few minutes at a time, because it was so fecking boring watching every minute. I felt bad, but seriously, I had clients to bill, reports to do, etc.

NOW, shamefully, I fast forward some games in HUGE chunks, like I'll go 10 minutes ahead, and usually NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. Then another 10 minutes...the Chelsea game, I honestly think I watched the entire match in 15 minutes, don't think I really missed much. I fell asleep last night watching Fenerbache, and didn't even run it back when I woke up, just figured I'll find out on the Caf tomorrow.

I still and will always love United, been a fan since 1977 when a friend in London took me to White Hart Lane to see them v Spurs. I just need some excitement back that makes watching them a better alternative than running my business!!!

Munich_1958

it takes me days to get over a defeat maybe even longer, I cant do a lot of things I would like to do normally and its happening very often now, I cant watch MOTD wiith my few beer, buy a paper, come on here or twitter for a gaze. Yes they are little time wasters but I enjoyed doing these things and its hard to do these days

but don't get me wrong losing a match is different to being 5 best team in the league that's what's hard for me the last few years because I know were better than this and can do much better than this.

Von Mistelroum

I've never done this before, but last night after their second goal (I had recorded it) I skipped through the rest of the match because I knew we'd never have the balls to come back.

Dr. Dwayne

I live in Los Angeles, so to see a match live I usually have to wake up between 4am to 7am on a Saturday, which I did religiously for years, making a good breakfast for halftime, and usually falling asleep face down on a bar around 11pm on Saturday nights. But as the Moyes era got halfway through, I started recording the games, then watching them at a more reasonable hour, like 9am. Still watched every single minute, although I'll admit it was nice zipping thru halftime and right into the second half.

With Van Gaal, I started saving the games til after I had done most of my Saturday chores, and finished watching American College Football games, but still watched every single minute, now with a pizza and a bottle of red wine, even better than watching with breakfast. But at the very end of last year, I started fast forwarding a few minutes at a time, because it was so fecking boring watching every minute. I felt bad, but seriously, I had clients to bill, reports to do, etc.

NOW, shamefully, I fast forward some games in HUGE chunks, like I'll go 10 minutes ahead, and usually NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. Then another 10 minutes...the Chelsea game, I honestly think I watched the entire match in 15 minutes, don't think I really missed much. I fell asleep last night watching Fenerbache, and didn't even run it back when I woke up, just figured I'll find out on the Caf tomorrow.

I still and will always love United, been a fan since 1977 when a friend in London took me to White Hart Lane to see them v Spurs. I just need some excitement back that makes watching them a better alternative than running my business!!!
You have my sympathies, brother. At least I'm in the eastern time zone so games aren't on too early.

I used the fast forward button a lot during the Van Gaal era, too.

Dr. Dwayne

I'm angry when we play well (stoke) but don't manage to get a result. Ferguson was the master at grinding out results in games like that. Overall, our squad is playing below their level and it's frustrating because we're better than that.
Are they? Starting to doubt that, personally.

redzombie

Desensitized no, but certainly confused, we've changed all the players and replaced the manager numerous times now and the results and performances stay eerily similar.

dichinero

Been desensitized for a few seasons now. We bottled it when we did not snap up Poch imo. What we needed was continuity rather than gunning for big names.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I thought Moyes would stay 5 seasons, I thought that LVG would stay 3 years and "only" win a domestic cup, I would not have signed half of the players we signed and I'm not a fan of Mourinho. So yes, losing a game doesn't hurt that much because I've been pessimistic from the start.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's not just happening on the pitch but what's going on with the club as a whole that to me atleast makes it feel I've been left a little behind the times.

Earlier the majority of our squad used to be players for whom Utd was always their first big club or the biggest club they would play for in their career. Sure there was an exception here and there but the majority used to have a special affiliation for the club. Even going back just 7-8 years for players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Evra, Vidic, Park, Valencia, Nani etc were all players whose first claim to fame was us. They would forever be associated with us and that obviously applies to the home grown players we used to have as well. Recently we've had a bunch of players for whom we'd be just another big club in a line of other big clubs. Why would players like Di Maria, Schweinsteiger, Zlatan, Falcao etc feel any special affiliation to us? We are not the most special club in their careers. Similarly we have a manager who for so long was the enemy and one who's already managed some of the other big clubs. I'm not saying they don't care or don't want to do well here but they have no special affiliation for us here. It's not a matter of life and death for them. All these things contribute to the vibe at the club which translates to this performances on the pitch.

Then there's the fans here who don't think twice before viciously attacking our players and even those who've server us for so long. The amount of abuse Rooney gets is shameful from so called fans of the club he plays for. Sure he's not what he was but you need to respect your players. Giggs is lambasted so often you'd forget he's a Utd legend.

Then when our former players like Neville or Scholes talk about the Utd way they are ridiculed. People forget these guys were fans of the club or associated with the club in the 70s and 80s when we weren't winning things. The Utd way is not just 4-4-2 , it's about respecting everything associated with the club, it's about entertaining the fans and giving your all for the club, be it you are a player or fan.

So it kinda makes sense how someone who's supported Utd for a long time would feel a bit desensitized by what's going on at the club. And it's not just due to poor performances, it's due to a lot deeper factors.

I'd promote you right away. That's amazing.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Not quite - I still keep thinking we're about to go on a great run of form and barely look back. Only just starting to doubt that now!

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Expectations are a problem arent they?
I did mention it when Fergie quit that i thought it would be a number of years till we won the title again. If he had stayed he would have been at the beginning of a building a new squad. Also Fergie was something very special and because of that we had all grown so accustomed to winning that it sort of left us with a form of entitlement. All of the "Big Club" types of comments indicated that. I remember the first season after we got relegated as being a season that was huge fun, probably because we were winning but also because we werent running around being the big noters.
I seriously wonder just how big a percentage of our fans even have a love for the game but actually just love being big noters.

The expectations built around the idea that we are a big club and should only ever accept being champions really does smack of people with no real grasp of reality. My only expectation of Utd is that we try to play exciting football, get that right first and trophies will come. Too many in here in a couple of polls expressed the idea they could accept 1-0 boring football as long as we won a title. That to me is people who love the wrong thing.

Carolina Red

Staff
They're still competing, season in season out. We aren't, we're not even typically capable of achieving top four. If you're not willing to accept the basic premise that we've declined over a period of years then it's pointless debating it further.
I'm just asking you to live up to your own pedantic definition of decline.

Scholsey2004

I'm just asking you to live up to your own pedantic definition of decline.
Anyone else feeling desensitised to our decline? - Is the name of the thread and clearly there are plenty who think that, yes, we've declined, if you read the comments. We competed on a regular basis and now we don't. that's a fact.

Runner

Are they? Starting to doubt that, personally.
Not everyone but certain playars like Mkhitaryan, Martial, Zlatan, Smalling, Shaw definitely should be playing at a higher level.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Under Moyes it was Januzaj who was the clear high light for me. First season under LvG we did alright without being impressive, i could live with that after one shite season under Moyes. Second season under LvG it was Martial, Rashford and the FA Cup as the highlights.

This season nothing has made me really happy from watching Man Utd so far. I was quite relieved to miss a few games due to various plans, as i wouldn't have to go through another embarrassment.

I have lost a bit of faith in Utd this season tbh.
We had some great games this season, with Pogba showboating, Herrera and Mata being great, Blind and Bailly were brilliant at some point, Ibra was really impressive... It's a shit season so far but if Moyes season was somehow saved by Januzaj, it's strange that nothing impressed you this season

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Sorry mate but that really is glory supporter talk. sounds like you support winning rather than united.

I don't say that to be a dick, but fans of just about every club in the world (in the grand scheme of things), have it worse than us. there are 90 odd teams in the english football league, only 7 better than us. imagine what its like supporting exeter city, or scunthorpe, or sunderland. yet those fans still support the team.

Not saying there is anything wrong with being a "glory supporter", but it sounds like thats what you are to me. i guess its just a different mentality.

In answer to OP, i'm becoming used to defeat. i don't really think losing games matters that much at the moment as i don't expect us to win any trophies anyway. sad state of affairs really. i was at the stoke game and wasn't even that gutted we failed to win, i sort of expected it. when i was at rhe 4 4 game against everton a few years back i was devastated we'd drawn, felt like a defeat. we lost the league that day. drawing to stoke now? makes no difference really.

Awful post from anyone who would ever consider themselves a supporter. Last 3 years have been crap yes but I'll never question my support for the club.

I am becoming accustomed to us pulling out awful results though. My expectations have plummeted massively since the start of the season, once mou came it was clear morale increased but it was very fragile.

Its going to take time.
Then call me glory supporter. I'm not going to lie. I have definitely lost the passion in supporting United. Sometimes I'll just get the second of the game while casually browsing some other sites. It hasn't been the same.

I enjoyed supporting United because of fecking bad ass we were. Last minute winners, destroying teams, players that had class/heritage and stayed at the club for decades. I genuinely don't feel like supporting the likes of lingard, Young, Rojo, Depay etc. I am supporting them but it's annoying and I don't like it.

If you want to call me a glory supporter that's fine. Like I said I'm not gonna lie and say I still have the same passion. Life is short and you have to do the things in life that give you most joy. If say United slipped into relegation and started playing in the 3rd league I genuinely would not watch their matches as often.

Long story short, I started supporting United because of the winning and the players. Not because of some badge that I fancied.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

We had some great games this season, with Pogba showboating, Herrera and Mata being great, Blind and Bailly were brilliant at some point, Ibra was really impressive... It's a shit season so far but if Moyes season was somehow saved by Januzaj, it's strange that nothing impressed you this season
The memories from winning the title was still fresh under Moyes and we didn't really know what to expect without SAF at the helm, that certainly helped getting through that season.

All we have now is big expectations. The reason why we sacked LvG and hired Mourinho was to get results and so far we haven't achieved that.

Last edited:

wr8_utd

:'(
The results used to hurt a lot while we were still competitive. They actually even hurt during the 03-06 period when we were rubbish but at this point it just doesn't affect me at all, weirdly. If we win, great and if we lose/draw then I get over it pretty quickly. I still watch as many matches as I can but I've just totally given up on this team and it doesn't ever ruin my day anymore. Sure there will be frustration during and in the immediate aftermath of the game but in general United doesn't disappoint or depress anymore and I don't know if that's me growing up or just having lost any expectations.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Adebesi is now Carolina Red?

Anyhow. Despite the recent defeats, I feel relax right now because I feel we have the right manager to sail the ship to the promise land. That's it.

GledTheRed

I barely give a feck if we lose anymore and rarely look forward to games. I used to be pissed off for a week when we lost and count down the minutes roll kick off. Even the Liverpool fans don't take piss anymore when we lose as it's widely accepted that we are shit !

pacifictheme

Then call me glory supporter. I'm not going to lie. I have definitely lost the passion in supporting United. Sometimes I'll just get the second of the game while casually browsing some other sites. It hasn't been the same.

I enjoyed supporting United because of fecking bad ass we were. Last minute winners, destroying teams, players that had class/heritage and stayed at the club for decades. I genuinely don't feel like supporting the likes of lingard, Young, Rojo, Depay etc. I am supporting them but it's annoying and I don't like it.

If you want to call me a glory supporter that's fine. Like I said I'm not gonna lie and say I still have the same passion. Life is short and you have to do the things in life that give you most joy. If say United slipped into relegation and started playing in the 3rd league I genuinely would not watch their matches as often.

Long story short, I started supporting United because of the winning and the players. Not because of some badge that I fancied.
Fair enough. i'd delete your account and sign up to bluemoon. may make you happier...

peridigm

Used to get depressed and have a shitty couple of days when we lost under Sir Alex. That feeling started to subside about 2 months into Moyes' tenure. Now I really don't give a shit. Expecting us to lose lots more. We've become like every other club that sacks their manager every other season. We've contributed to the increased transfer fees and wages of world class players but have reaped no reward for it. Why does it seam like every great signing we make turns to shit? We're basically spending the same amounts of money that Real Madrid, Barca, Bayern, City, and Chelsea have been spending for several years yet we're moving backwards. I don't want us to sack Jose this season or next that is unless the unimaginable were to be in our sights. I still look forward to our games but have started to contemplate not arranging my schedule around them any longer.

RedStarUnited

I wish I was feeling like OP. Every loss angers me still, there was a period last year I stopped caring for a bit about the matches. Simply because the football was so bad.

But this year, ive enjoyed the majority of the games. Which doesnt really help, because I was in shock at how we didnt win Vs Burnley.

Boycott

You get older and I suppose it's natural to at least go through a phase where a football club you don't have a tangible connection to no longer has an impact on you.

For the players and staff it's their job. If they're failing in their jobs why should it grind me down? For me it's a game which I love and that's as far as it goes.

Scholes.92

I wouldn't say that I am resigned to us becoming shit, i'm still expecting us to challenge for titles soon and still believe top for is achievable if Jose can sort things soon, but like most im starting to become less shocked and bothered by poor performances, still makes me angry but its easier to accept. Difference between us and early 90s Liverpool who it looks like we are following is the financial power we now have in comparison to them and that we have a manager who in my opinion is still a top manager. Admittedly that last part is from looking back and what I thought it was like for them as I was born in 1992 myself.