Anyone getting an 06/07 feeling?

Artimities

I like our squad, but when we are off... we are off. Last year our away record helped, but other teams could say the same about us when they played at Old Trafford. I think the fans are that big of a difference. Too early to tell for me, but I really hope we dont give up goals as often as last year.

I swear at points you could tell when the other team was going to score... you just knew...

youmeletsfly

I like our squad, but when we are off... we are off. Last year our away record helped, but other teams could say the same about us when they played at Old Trafford. I think the fans are that big of a difference. Too early to tell for me, but I really hope we dont give up goals as often as last year.

I swear at points you could tell when the other team was going to score... you just knew...
This, just about this. When you watched United in the last 2-3 seasons you really knew when they were going to concede because it's so fecking obvious.

What I find sickening is that a lot of the goals we concede are from failed attacks(no shit Sherlock) in which one of our players (Bruno/Pogba for example) receive the ball, look up, nobody is making a run, end up losing the ball and the other team score on the counter or from the next corner.

Fergie's good teams were obvious. Bar the keeper we'd concede goals just because the other team was better in that particular play or overall. That's what set us apart back then, very decisive and efficient attacking and no nonsense defending.

The best examples that definitely show how much quality is between Fergie and Ole's team are:
- in the last game Pogba dribbled 1 or 2 players on the left, looked up, there was nobody even close to the box, looked back for a pass and Luke Shaw was 30meters behind him
- In 07 or 08 we played Newcastle or Portsmouth at home and I remember the same fecking play, absolutely identical, Nani dribbles 2-3 players almost down to the touchline, looks up, nobody in the box, quickly passes the ball to Evra who was 3 meters behind him and Evra squares it to someone on the edge of the box and they score.

That's the fecking difference between United of old and today's United, fecking quality coaching. I don't even think it's Ole's fault here, it's the fecking mediocre coaches we currently have.

So to answer the OP, no, I definitely don't have an 06/07 feeling about this United just because we're so badly coached. I can feel a group of quality players and dudes being created, but I don't see the coaching, don't see the leadership and I don't see that one motherfecking player that can carry the team on his back with his performances and raise everyone else's level by a notch. Hopefully Varane brings that because that's what we badly miss at this moment.

Artimities

This, just about this. When you watched United in the last 2-3 seasons you really knew when they were going to concede because it's so fecking obvious.

What I find sickening is that a lot of the goals we concede are from failed attacks(no shit Sherlock) in which one of our players (Bruno/Pogba for example) receive the ball, look up, nobody is making a run, end up losing the ball and the other team score on the counter or from the next corner.

Fergie's good teams were obvious. Bar the keeper we'd concede goals just because the other team was better in that particular play or overall. That's what set us apart back then, very decisive and efficient attacking and no nonsense defending.

The best examples that definitely show how much quality is between Fergie and Ole's team are:
- in the last game Pogba dribbled 1 or 2 players on the left, looked up, there was nobody even close to the box, looked back for a pass and Luke Shaw was 30meters behind him
- In 07 or 08 we played Newcastle or Portsmouth at home and I remember the same fecking play, absolutely identical, Nani dribbles 2-3 players almost down to the touchline, looks up, nobody in the box, quickly passes the ball to Evra who was 3 meters behind him and Evra squares it to someone on the edge of the box and they score.

That's the fecking difference between United of old and today's United, fecking quality coaching. I don't even think it's Ole's fault here, it's the fecking mediocre coaches we currently have.

So to answer the OP, no, I definitely don't have an 06/07 feeling about this United just because we're so badly coached. I can feel a group of quality players and dudes being created, but I don't see the coaching, don't see the leadership and I don't see that one motherfecking player that can carry the team on his back with his performances and raise everyone else's level by a notch. Hopefully Varane brings that because that's what we badly miss at this moment.
Im a newbie so.. not sure if I can give likes or not.. .but this is on point.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.

Good points.

To be fair, in the last two games Pogba has been that "one motherfecking player that can carry the team", and in the last season Bruno often was, but we can't win titles like that. We need a defensive midfielder and overall consistency of play. Why was Maguire so fecking horrible last Sunday? We should be able to expect consistent level from our key players.

acnumber9

Too often we sleepwalk through games as if winning is inevitable. We start too slowly too often and fade too often. When we play at a quick pace, we’re a very good team. The problem is that too often we don’t want to play at a high tempo. The manager needs to be demanding it and the players not doing it need to be dropped or taken off.

This is the main reason I find it hard to like Maguire. The way he just walks about with the ball is infuriating to the point it’s hard to appreciate when he does something well. Ultimately many of these problems would probably be fixed by having a midfielder who actually understands how to play in midfield.

George the Cat

I’m getting a 2014-2021 feeling myself. All this talk of titles and we are nowhere near.

youmeletsfly

Good points.

To be fair, in the last two games Pogba has been that "one motherfecking player that can carry the team", and in the last season Bruno often was, but we can't win titles like that. We need a defensive midfielder and overall consistency of play. Why was Maguire so fecking horrible last Sunday? We should be able to expect consistent level from our key players.
Yes, to be fair to Paul, he was a monster in the last two games, but he needs to keep that level for a whole season. Bruno was that player for a while last season but faded as well.

I just feel we need that player who's an example on the pitch for the others, who always performs and gives his best. One of my friends used to play football at a decent level and his best friend was the best player in his team. I remember him looking back on it and thinking "man he was that good and that much better than us he made us ask ourselves "what are we doing with our lives man, we need to start delivering like this guy"". His mate got to play for Sporting and be Cristiano's roommate and close friend while he wandered around Romania's 1st and 2nd leagues for quite a while until he quit.

RedStarUnited

Too often we sleepwalk through games as if winning is inevitable. We start too slowly too often and fade too often. When we play at a quick pace, we’re a very good team. The problem is that too often we don’t want to play at a high tempo. The manager needs to be demanding it and the players not doing it need to be dropped or taken off.

This is the main reason I find it hard to like Maguire. The way he just walks about with the ball is infuriating to the point it’s hard to appreciate when he does something well. Ultimately many of these problems would probably be fixed by having a midfielder who actually understands how to play in midfield.
We generally don't have a way of playing, so those few moments you see of quick passing etc are just moments when the players felt like doing something like that.

Maguire is the captain and he is one of the slowest at moving the ball, the manager seemingly never mentions this. No one in the team is screaming for the ball to be moved either so nothing happens to improve that part of our game.

Siorac

28 wins is pretty damn good. Anyone who’s won that many games over the last 6 years (didn’t bother checking back any further) finished with 90+ points.

Side note. In 06/07 we finished with 89 points. That would have won it last season (covid affected) but the last time 89 points would have won the league before that was when Leicester won the league, 5 years ago. Which is a sobering thought. I remember 06/07 as being absolutely phenomenonal so it’s mad to think we could hit those heights again and still win feck all over the last almost half a decade.
Still, I'd be over the fecking moon if we hit 89 points, even if it's not enough to win the title. Our post-Fergie average is 69.5!

Water Melon

Spot bloody on.

r1z3mu

No panic please. We are doing OK. Team is getting better and better every year (thanks to 100m investment every year). But we do not have final product yet, so I don't expect PL title this year. Maybe CL QF, top 3/4 and some low level cup. It's interesting that most posts are either optimistic or pessimistic. How about realistic? Our team still missing DM and proper experienced striker (not counting Cavani). Our coach and assistants still learning on the job. Patience, patience - this is not the year, not yet.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I think there are definite similarities. Looking back at that front 3 of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez in 07/08, we have something potentially similar brewing in Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford - quick, skillful and capable of destroying teams on their day. The midfield is where we're lacking. Fred and MCT wouldn't get near the team of 06-08. Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson at the time - vastly superior to what we have now. Apart from that you can see the similarities, but lots of work to be done if we're to reach that level again. Oh, and we did have the greatest football manager of all time in charge...so that helped.

snk123

I think there are definite similarities. Looking back at that front 3 of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez in 07/08, we have something potentially similar brewing in Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford - quick, skillful and capable of destroying teams on their day.
Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford are not fit to lace Ronaldo, Tevez and Rooney's shoes tbf.

Kag

Carrick and Scholes played in midfield for us then, so no, not really.

We’re on the cusp of putting together a really good team, though, provided the club continues to spend where relevant. I’m unconvinced there, sadly.

Apologies for the terrible simile, but we’re like a Ferrari missing an engine at the moment.

snk123

Carrick and Scholes played in midfield for us then, so no, not really.

We’re on the cusp of putting together a really good team, though, provided the club continues to spend where relevant. I’m unconvinced there, sadly.

Apologies for the terrible simile, but we’re like a Ferrari missing an engine at the moment.
We're plugging holes too slowly. The closest we came to addressing all problems was when we got Mkhitariyan, Ibra, Pogba and Bailly - but at that moment we had a huge fecking Mourinho shaped hole that we needed to fill with a proper manager.

Now it's so obvious we need a DM, a striker and a new backup rb (optional) to complete this team. Watch us not sign anyone and instead have a new problem of creativity when Pogba leaves next season.
Our rivals keep stock piling players while we have new gaps to fill every transfer window.

Kag

We're plugging holes too slowly. The closest we came to addressing all problems was when we got Mkhitariyan, Ibra, Pogba and Bailly - but at that moment we had a huge fecking Mourinho shaped hole that we needed to fill with a proper manager.

Now it's so obvious we need a DM, a striker and a new backup rb (optional) to complete this team. Watch us not sign anyone and instead have a new problem of creativity when Pogba leaves next season.
Our rivals keep stock piling players while we have new gaps to fill every transfer window.
Agree entirely. Already we’re looking at a situation next summer in which all of Pogba, Matic, Cavani and possibly the likes of Martial and Van de Beek leave the club. We’re playing catch up because (it seems) we haven’t got the conviction to go out there and sort the midfield and right back issue this summer.

Sort that now and it allows the club to make next summer all about a centre forward.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
The hype died really quick. :(
Because of one away draw. That says more about our soft fanbase than it does about our prospects this season. We will have a far better idea of what this team is capable of when Varane and Cavani are back in the team, and when Sancho is up to speed.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
I think there are definite similarities. Looking back at that front 3 of Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez in 07/08, we have something potentially similar brewing in Sancho, Greenwood and Rashford - quick, skillful and capable of destroying teams on their day. The midfield is where we're lacking. Fred and MCT wouldn't get near the team of 06-08. Carrick, Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson at the time - vastly superior to what we have now. Apart from that you can see the similarities, but lots of work to be done if we're to reach that level again. Oh, and we did have the greatest football manager of all time in charge...so that helped.
So apart from defence midfield and the front 3 and the manager coaching you mean. Were nowhere near that team. Rooney Ronaldo Tevez are on a different planet.

PeteManic

Carragher for all his Youtube clickbait shite made the important point the other night that the difference with City, Liverpool, and Chelsea is that they have coaches who have won everything by coaching a team and a system. United don't. Ole is still depending upon someone to do something to win the game.

Was the 06/07 team like that? Maybe.

Zen86

Carragher for all his Youtube clickbait shite made the important point the other night that the difference with City, Liverpool, and Chelsea is that they have coaches who have won everything by coaching a team and a system. United don't. Ole is still depending upon someone to do something to win the game.

Was the 06/07 team like that? Maybe.
Fergie certainly wasn’t a system manager, the 06/07 team was more reliant on great players doing their thing. Ole’s management is grounded in many of the same principles.

Personally, I would love to see the alternative generate success, because system football is fecking boring in my humble opinion, and will become increasingly so as time goes on.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
No, not really. Got a bit of a podge on after the Leeds game but that quickly disappeared after the Southampton game.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think the floor of the side is pretty decent, as in the worst that we would/could play is not far off from what you'd expect from a top side. For example we were quite shit vs Southampton, Fulham earlier this year and so on - and we ended up with a draw and a win respectively (obviously there's SHU as well, but then again every top side has lost to a bottom side in recent past)

Similarly, the ceiling of the side is pretty high as well. When we're on song, we can destroy any side and in a convincing manner as well.

However, what's stopping us right now from taking the next step, IMO, is everything in between these two. We're way too inconsistent on most occasions. Look at our results - when we're on song, we scored 6 vs Roma, 5 vs Leipzig, 6 vs Leeds, 3 vs Spurs, the win vs City was convincing as well and so on. When the team is getting these results and being thoroughly deserving of those, you have to wonder why that side can't have the median performance at 70-80% of those levels! And this is why I think we are something away from being the 06/07 version of ourselves

RedSinha

The hype died really quick. :(
All this place cares about is a win. A draw is blasphemous. West Ham winning the first two games has led to some posters hyping Moyes up and saying his time at United is judged unfairly. There is no nuance at all.

Last edited:

Infra-red

All this place cares about is a win. A draw is blasphemous. West Ham winning the first two games has led to some posters hyping him up and saying his time at United is judged unfairly. There is no nuance at all.
I don't think it was the result as much as the performance, combined with the site of Matic/Fred toiling ineffectually in midfield and the realisation that our transfer market is likely closed. Bit of a downer in terms of title challenge optimism. We should be good enough for top 4.

RedSinha

I don't think it was the result as much as the performance, combined with the site of Matic/Fred toiling ineffectually in midfield and the realisation that our transfer market is likely closed. Bit of a downer in terms of title challenge optimism. We should be good enough for top 4.
We literally hammered Leeds 5-1 opening day.

Like I mentioned in another thread, people were hyping up Tottenham and Liverpool last season as title contenders when they faced each other in December (obviously the horrible defeat to Tottenham helped), before United and City picked up momentum. And then the two proceeded to fall off a cliff. If you're basing your title hopes or the lack thereof on a draw away to Southampton in GW2, then it's just a case of looking for doom & gloom deliberately so as to find ways to complain and feel bitter, as some sort of primal satisfaction. You're hate-watching your own club.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
All this place cares about is a win. A draw is blasphemous. West Ham winning the first two games has led to some posters hyping him up and saying his time at United is judged unfairly. There is no nuance at all.
West Ham have been good for a lot longer than just two games.

Similarly, none of the issues we saw with our own team at the weekend constitutes brand new information.

RedSinha

West Ham have been good for a lot longer than just two games.

Similarly, none of the issues we saw with our own team at the weekend constitutes brand new information.
I'm not saying they're not good. They obviously did pretty well last season and Moyes deserves the credit.

I'm just talking about the OTT reaction that followed them beating Newcastle and 10-man Leicester, and comparing it to the doom and gloom of drawing to Southampton. And somehow people already picking their title challengers after GW2. It's all a bit too reactionary for me.

And somehow people already picking their title challengers after GW2
This happens every season though, and it's usually the pundits who're actually paid for their "insight" coming out with the stupidest takes. So I wouldn't hold that one against the average fan that listens to them and thinks they have a clue.

Just last season:

Gary Neville: Liverpool will not runaway with Premier League title - could we see a Jose Mourinho vs Frank Lampard title race? | Football News | Sky Sports

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm not saying they're not good. They obviously did pretty well last season and Moyes deserves the credit.

I'm just talking about the OTT reaction that followed them beating Newcastle and 10-man Leicester, and comparing it to the doom and gloom of drawing to Southampton. And somehow people already picking their title challengers after GW2. It's all a bit too reactionary for me.
Not really the thread to berate people for jumping to negative conclusions based on a small sample of games, considering the (extremely positive) OP was written after just 90 minutes of football.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Not quite there yet, but not that far away either

The thing is, we are still a pretty young team with plenty of room for growth. I know Ole is not everyones cup of tea, but even if he fails to bring in the silverware hes really built some good foundations for the future

Infra-red

Not quite there yet, but not that far away either

The thing is, we are still a pretty young team with plenty of room for growth. I know Ole is not everyones cup of tea, but even if he fails to bring in the silverware hes really built some good foundations for the future
That's a fair assessment and, to the extent that those foundations are now in place, Solskjaer has done his job. The question is whether his job is now complete and someone else would be better placed to build upon the foundation he has laid. That's something about which reasonable people can probably disagree.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm just jaded at the frequency with which we see those flat first half zombie performances that give us a losing position to have to try and turn around.

Sides like Southampton need to be put to the sword with ruthless efficiency if you want to win the league. Drawing with some really awful teams was what killed us last season.