Anyone getting an 06/07 feeling?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Nope, not at all. United were in the ascent in Europe in addition to core players maturing and starting to bring it together in terms of consistency and expectation.

Even after one game, jury is still out on Rashford who won't be part of the squad for at least another month. How does an axis of Bruno,, Pogba, and Sancho work?

Need to see how the squad is used across many more games/competitions.

And need DDG or Henderson to really cement the position while playing at their best.

Need some unsung heroes to emerge outside of the typical players such as AWB, McTominay, and DVB. If those 3 players elevate themselves to another level, then this squad will have no boundaries.
We finished bottom of our CL group in 2005/6. The season before we went out very tamely to AC Milan.

Zen86

Absolutely. We’d been in the wilderness for several years and Mourinho’s Chelsea seemed unbeatable. The usual vultures were circling saying Fergie was past it, United were finished, we were written off. Then everything just fell into place and we started the season all guns blazing.

Crustanoid

Not yet. Not to take the mood down but it is a monumental challenge to win the league against an oil state. Man Utd will need a freak season with no injuries like Liverpool had. But a fun start and we can go into work feeling smug tomorrow.
PEDs. We need PEDs.

Hopefully City’s PED cycle is coming to an end and they’re on the way down.

Hopefully Liverpool’s haven’t got started yet/recovered from 2019/20

We can get in there this time

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
You could argue that it's inherent in the DNA of Manchester United to have a cycle of troubling times transitioning into successful periods. Sir Alex was one of those once in a life time characters and chances of that happening again are highly unlikely (to say the least). After the retirement there was a 5 year spell of 3 different managers and drama around the club. Ole is the first manager since Sir Alex to have started a third season and the first manager since Sir Alex to have consecutive top 4 finishes (second place last year) and several other records. The club is heading into stability, provided by the fact that within the club changes are of have happened (within the recruitment department) in order to strengthen the culture and traditions of the club which translates into the dressing room, the training philosophy and eventually trophies which should be the endgame.

Another encouraging aspect is that the recruitment specifically based on characters and specific value to the team, rather then high waged transfers with players who don't fit at the club mentality wise. The team is producing academy players who are becoming successful in the first team which is an encouragement and precedent for the younger players. There are also characters in the team who have high demands of themselves and others which contributes of players pushing each other and elevating themselves to further development.

There are still improvements to be made and this team is still not the finished article, but they are growing together and with the addition of world-class players the tools are there to improve upon last season. You can not escape the idea (perhaps trauma from the Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho era's) that there will be spells within the season in which the team looks complete lost and people will ask questions about the manager or players, but the difference i see is the spirit of the team and the cohesiveness of the manager, staff and players to overcome those hurdles, which to be fair the majority of the clubs will experience.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Funnily enough I think we’re missing that Carrick signing to make it possible. If we signed a 25 year-old Michael Carrick this month I’d be quite confident.
first thing i thought of, but then realised sancho is in some ways that. obviously needed a solid midfielder then, obviously needed a right-winger now.

but yes, sancho+varane+carrick would have been a perfect window.

SinNombre

We need a Carrick signing for the midfield as some have said.

Add Carrick in his prime to this team and we will be favorites for the league.

He will enable both Pogba and Bruno to play to their best abilities.

Fox outside the box

Kind of.

I think we lack the continuity of having Scholes, Giggs and Neville in the squad. The 06/07 team felt like bunch of kids rising up to the level of the pre-existing but ageing old guard.

This team is still too green across the board. Only Varane has winning experience and none of it has been in a United shirt. It feels like something completely new.
It isn't just Varane at all. De Gea, Shaw, Pogba, Mata, Matic have all won titles/trophies. Cavani has won multiple trophies in multiple countries as well as at International level, Fernandes has won a couple of trophies. Fred has won multiple titles and trophies.

Telles has won multiple trophies and leagues in different countries. Lindelof has won leagues and cups. Sancho has won a few trophies, as well as the under 17 World Cup.

We've got winners throughout the squad. We've lacked the quality and depth to compete in recent years but addressing this has given us a good chance of winning something this year. This is the strongest, most cohesive squad we've had since Fergie left and is arguably up there with some of his teams as well. We have had to turnaround such a large squad and we've done it in decent time to be fair. I feel that this year though is the closest we've been to where we need to be and although we do need a player or two more, we've got the quality and depth to rotate and get results across competitions.

Where we as of now, compared to where we've been over the last 8 or so years? Ole has done a brilliant job. He's made mistakes and will continue to learn but I can't think of another manager who would have been able to turn Manchester United around from the toxic cesspit it was when Mourinho left, to what is a young, exciting, attacking team with the academy back into swing and the club feeling how Manchester United should feel.

We aren't just any club, you don't rotate managers at this club every couple of years, jumping from one philosophy to another. We have a culture, a history of young, British talent being brought in with existing academy talent and a sprinkling of star dust in certain purchases. I think we're as close to 06/07 as we've been since that team broke up.

Neo_Mufc

My only issue I have is that in 06/07 our main rival was only being Chelsea. This season we have 3 more genuine contenders and the remainder of the league is very strong.

Fox outside the box

We need a Carrick signing for the midfield as some have said.

Add Carrick in his prime to this team and we will be favorites for the league.

He will enable both Pogba and Bruno to play to their best abilities.
Neves could be great in this team. Bruno and Pogba aren't complete layabouts either so it's not like he'd just be left exposed. We'd have so many players capable of pinging balls through, from anywhere on the pitch really. All of our midfielders would be quality play makers as well as capable of scoring and we'd had enough between them to not be walked past.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
My only issue I have is that in 06/07 our main rival was only being Chelsea. This season we have 3 more genuine contenders and the remainder of the league is very strong.
They weren’t at the start though were they? Liverpool were similar to current Chelsea in that they’d win more significant trophies in the previous two seasons. Many were tipping us for 4th behind Arsenal too if I remember.

Loon

:lol:
I love the enthusiasm, but people are getting carried away by thumping Leeds at home. Had we gone to Anfield and schooled them... Even then. Can we give it at least ten games?

Neo_Mufc

They weren’t at the start though were they? Liverpool were similar to current Chelsea in that they’d win more significant trophies in the previous two seasons. Many were tipping us for 4th behind Arsenal too if I remember.
Yes in terms of rivals we were at the back of the pack due to a bad exit the year before in the champions league to Benfica and not doing much in the league. Chelsea had just won 2 leagues in a row and signed Shevchenko and Ballack who were supposed to destroy the league. Liverpool were winning cups but never could do it in the league but pundits were always happy to put them above us. Arsenal lost Henry and Fabregas was going to lead the way.

That was my first year as a season ticket holder. I miss those days!

edcunited1878

We finished bottom of our CL group in 2005/6. The season before we went out very tamely to AC Milan.
That was an anomaly as the previous campaigns saw knockout runs in CL and deep runs in domestic cups. Couldn't score much at all during that group stage. Beginning of the end for total goal reliance on a traditional 9, this time RVN.

To that, Saha had a great impact whenever he played during that 06/07 season. Just not fit as much in the 2nd half of the year.

edcunited1878

I love the enthusiasm, but people are getting carried away by thumping Leeds at home. Had we gone to Anfield and schooled them... Even then. Can we give it at least ten games?
Leeds got exposed again at OT. Much tougher tests are ahead, but the performance was top notch and a good pre season followed by a great 7 to 10 days preparation for Leeds.

It's Overreaction FC! But always prefer this type of attitude after a result like yesterday!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Yes in terms of rivals we were at the back of the pack due to a bad exit the year before in the champions league to Benfica and not doing much in the league. Chelsea had just won 2 leagues in a row and signed Shevchenko and Ballack who were supposed to destroy the league. Liverpool were winning cups but never could do it in the league but pundits were always happy to put them above us. Arsenal lost Henry and Fabregas was going to lead the way.

That was my first year as a season ticket holder. I miss those days!
Not sure mate I remember us having to win the last game in 06 just to finish above Liverpool. So we were more clear of them in second last season than back then!

Saying there was only Chelsea back then is true to some degree but it wasn’t really the case, same way there are plenty of teams who can challenge this year but City are the big one we need to finish above.

Neo_Mufc

Not sure mate I remember us having to win the last game in 06 just to finish above Liverpool. So we were more clear of them in second last season than back then!

Saying there was only Chelsea back then is true to some degree but it wasn’t really the case, same way there are plenty of teams who can challenge this year but City are the big one we need to finish above.
Chelsea were way too strong for anyone during 04-06 and were expected to waltz a 3rd in a row. I'd have to disagree and say there wasn't much "expected" competition.

Sweet Square

We were 4-0 FC under Mou for ages as well.
Yep there's been plenty of false dawns post Fergie. We beat Leeds 6 - 2 last season and finished it without any trophies.

I'm really happy with the result and in general I'm positive about this United team but not a lot can be said after 1 game into the season.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Not yet. We beat Leeds quite heavily last season as well didn't we

r1z3mu

I think it's too early. Yes, it was a joy to watch United destroying Leads but it was one game only. Let's come back here a little later and if we have 16-18 points after first 6 games then we will talk.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
If Sancho hits the bar against Southampton with a rocket shot, I will start believing

Tarrou

It's not just one game though, is it?

just like that 06/07 team didn't suddenly ignite after trouncing Fulham or whoever it was on the opening day

that team was a few years in the making, a few key signings in the right areas and investment in youth that paid off

the big difference that we're missing is the midfield

Carrick and Scholes in this team and we'd be complete

CG1010

2006-07 is the season I started watching United regularly and have amazing memories of it. (Didn't get football on our TV subscription before then so couldn't follow United live).

Regarding this team and Ole, against Leeds, our line up was the team that came 2nd last season (minus Rashford and Cavani). We have seen such performances from them last season (against Leeds themselves too) so we know that group of players is capable of it. There are many positives we can take to expect a better season than last:

- Obviously the signings of Sancho and Varane filling the key gaps

- Trio of Rashford/Martial/Greenwood: Last season all three were misfiring at different times and different levels but there was a sense that what we achieved was inspite of their indifferent form and not because of them for a large part of the season. This season Greenwood has continued his upward trajectory he acquired at the end of the last season while Rashford should come out all fit and rearing to go. Martial can't really be worse than last season too

- Competition in attacking places: We now have Cavani, Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Martial, Pogba vying for 3 positions which means we should be able to put out a quality and in-form front 3. I predict that we would see complaints about Ole not switching it up disappear because now he will have options rather than turn to likes of Mata, James et al

- Pogba: The man has already surpassed his assist tally of entire last season in one game! He looks confident from his Euro exploits and perhaps from the new signings. He will probably give us a much better season.

- Start of the season: We lost too many points at the start of the season and then were on course for 80 points by the end of season when we lost steam due to fixture congestion and us mathematically qualifying for top 4 (and even 2nd place). Starting this season, we have already demonstrated better fitness and some issues faced by key personnel like Maguire/Pogba aren't there.

Overall, it wouldn't be wrong to expect 82+ points in this season from us and we should probably target 85+. This means certainly that we would be in a title chase (though whether we win it depends on how much greater than 85). If we get another signing (either midfielder/RB) it would further add to the positivity too.

On another note, another reason why this season feels like a throwback to an earlier era is that we again have a clear top 4 in my opinion who are favourites to get the CL position. United, Chelsea, City and Liverpool look strong in their own ways and obviously Leicester cannot be dismissed, there is a sense that the top clubs in England have their act together to dismiss any outsider.

CG1010

It's not just one game though, is it?

just like that 06/07 team didn't suddenly ignite after trouncing Fulham or whoever it was on the opening day

that team was a few years in the making, a few key signings in the right areas and investment in youth that paid off

the big difference that we're missing is the midfield

Carrick and Scholes in this team and we'd be complete
The thing is this bolded statement can easily be true for this team too though. There is reason to have positivity, but we shall see.

pav1790

I want to believe but we weren’t that close last season ultimately. This year I see a trophy for us but the league - I am not too sure. Anything above 85 would mean certain progress and that the team is challenging properly. And that is what I d like to see - we didn't see that last season for a number of reasons.

What I do like now - with Sancho here - is that Bruno won't be overused. Rashford won't be overused. Martial might get a kick up the butt. We have Cavani from the beginning. Greenwood - as ole remarked - looks like a man now, not the boy who was already good enough to play for us two seasons ago. Dan James as much as fans like to slag him can do a job for us in some games. That is not to mention Amad and Anthony Elanga who might get a shout and might want to impress the boss in cup games, meaning our first teamers will get more of a rest.

Defense - we are sorted if Varane performs. Because then instead of Bailly, a good defender himself, is not our backup. It's Lindelof who is excellent in games that suit him. He'd want to keep his Sweden captaincy by playing his best, I am sure. Goalkeeping situation is dicey but we have a couple of goalkeepers who will do very well, and with Varane the onus is less on the keeper to do everything right. Time will tell.

Midfield is our only real issue. But luckily we won't have midfield battle most matches. But in key matches for cups we might get overrun.

Would we have enough in our tank to outscore our opponents? That is what will decide how we will fare.

Little thing..

Look at the ages Ronaldo and Rooney were at this time in the 06/07 season.

Ronaldo was 21 with a February birthday. Sancho is 21 with a March birthday.

Rooney was 19 with an October birthday. Greenwood is 19 with an October birthday.

It’s interesting to me anyway. Little parallel.
Rooney was 20 and turned 21 that season.

It's been a long time since I was this positive at the start of a season (even in 2017/18 when we won 6 out of 7, you knew it would only take a couple of bad results for the poisonous one to ruin things). This team should be good for 85-90 points come May.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We had SAF, so for me we were favorites for league every season. We have good players and good squad, lot more positive than last season and season before that, lets see how we progress.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Its always great to start with a strong victory. We are in that sweet spot where we haven't had a setback yet and the possibilities are endless.

If we are good enough to win the title this year I'd expect us to make this relatively kind opening set of fixtures count and pile some points on the board. I'm confident that we will.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
It was only 1 game, so let's see for the next 5.
But what I loved was that enthusiasm and drive to play it forward. That was very enjoyable to watch and similar to 06/07 imo

Mike Smalling

Looking only at United, then I guess the comparisons are there, but if we broaden to the competition it is really a different situation. In 06/07 we did not have two competitors as strong as City and Chelsea going in. Chelsea were coming off two titles, of course, and had a decent transfer window, but we did not have a strong third player challenging.

romufc

I think the main difference from this game and the one we won last season is how we controlled the game.

Even though we won 6-2 last season, Leeds had their fare share of chances, this game was very good.

We created loads of good chances throughout the game, patterns of play should I say?