Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Fbh112

squelchy shoes
Quite enjoyed the first series of The Bridge, US version. Not able to get into the second series at all. Maybe just way I'm feeling just now, cannot settle with anything. But the story doesn't seem to be quite as engaging. If I had to recommend a series to follow it would be Life On Mars and Ashes to Ashes. Great writing, elements of comedy, real British drama, excellent cast. So clever and easy to watch, amazing attention to detail from the music to the setting, to even the language. Brilliant. Ever seeking something that has its balance and quality

Last edited:

Castia

Really liking Fargo, I'm on episode 6 now and it's one of the best new shows I've seen for a while. 8/10 show for sure, is it wraps up well that could reach to a 9/10.

shabz

Just finished Vikings season 2 recently, really entertaining and worth a watch if you like a bit of action and don't mind a vague history lesson.

Also recently got into Hannibal, great thriller, very dark and intelligent.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I watched the first three seasons of Boardwalk Empire then just stopped. I kinda enjoyed it but at that time, I was also watching GOT and Breaking Bad so it kind of fell behind. I never picked it up again.

Is it worth getting back into season 4 considering I thought of it as okay? Does it stay the same level, get worse or ideally get better?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
The Wire will apparently get an HD restoration treatment by HBO. Guess it was good idea to save myself and go the-wire-virgin for that eventuality.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Finished Rescue Me recently. Really enjoyed it.

Strange to have a show with such an unlikeable protagonist though. Tommy Gavin is an asshole but the show works. Loads of great offensive humour too.

shabz

I watched the first three seasons of Boardwalk Empire then just stopped. I kinda enjoyed it but at that time, I was also watching GOT and Breaking Bad so it kind of fell behind. I never picked it up again.

Is it worth getting back into season 4 considering I thought of it as okay? Does it stay the same level, get worse or ideally get better?
I would definitely watch season 4 it is good and it seems to set up season 5 which will be the last one. From the trailers it looks amazing and seems like many stories are going to come full circle in an explosive fashion.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I would definitely watch season 4 it is good and it seems to set up season 5 which will be the last one. From the trailers it looks amazing and seems like many stories are going to come full circle in an explosive fashion.
Thanks that's all I needed to know. Will resume once I'm done with season 1 of the Shield

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Rectify
Daniel Holden was on death row for 19 years after he confessed to raping and killing his girlfried when he was 17 (or 18? I'm not 100% sure).
His family, especially his younger sister (Scottie from Suits), never believed that he did it and fought for him. Sperm samples call his conviction into question after it was confirmed that it's not Daniel's DNA. The conviction is overturned and he's allowed to return home to his family until his case goes to retrial.

The show focuses on his struggle with life outside of prison with his family and the people in town.

Season 1: 90% on rotten tomaoes and a 82 score on metacritic.
Season 2: 95% and a 92 score on metracritic.
Great series but a pace that will lose most viewers - I've been really impressed with how strong it has been

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
I gave up after season 3. Does it still give a unforgivable amount of screen time to the most boring characters on the show despite showing very little of some of the most interesting mob figures in American history ?

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé

shabz

I gave up after season 3. Does it still give a unforgivable amount of screen time to the most boring characters on the show despite showing very little of some of the most interesting mob figures in American history ?
I'd say we see a bit more of the mob side to show in season 4. Apparently there was plans for a spin off that followed Luciano and Lansky so the writers didn't feel they had to dwell on the mob side too much. But now it has been limited to 5 seasons I doubt we will see the spin off.

Season 5 however does look like it will be the best of the lot. So for that I would give season 4 a try.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

My Top 3:

Breaking Bad (best Episode: "Ozymandias")
Game of Thrones (best Episode so far: "The Rains of Castamere")
Sons of Anarchy (best Episode so far: "Laying Pipe")

I have watched episodes 3 and 4 of the fifth season of SoA yesterday and I have to say after watching These epsiodes I have to put the Show in the same bracket as BB and GoT in my personal ranking. Still completely shocked.

Great Shows not far behind: Vikings, Rome, The Shield

I also like Shows like Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Dawsons Creek, Everwood etc.
Credit to OC California - I did a rewatch with my wifey and the first 3 seasons of this Show are really great. Calling it just another teenage Soap opera would not do this Show any justice.

Most People are calling "The Wire" the best Show of all time. I stopped at the beginning of season 3 as I found it too boring.

Nest on my to buy list are probably Deadwood and True Detective. Maybe band of Brothers as well...

20le_Solskjaer

My Top 3:

I have watched episodes 3 and 4 of the fifth season of SoA yesterday and I have to say after watching These epsiodes I have to put the Show in the same bracket as BB and GoT in my personal ranking. Still completely shocked.

I also like Shows like Gilmore Girls, One Tree Hill, Dawsons Creek, Everwood etc.
Credit to OC California - I did a rewatch with my wifey and the first 3 seasons of this Show are really great. Calling it just another teenage Soap opera would not do this Show any justice.

Most People are calling "The Wire" the best Show of all time. I stopped at the beginning of season 3 as I found it too boring.

Nest on my to buy list are probably Deadwood and True Detective. Maybe band of Brothers as well...
We have the same taste.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I've been watching Freaks and Geeks this week. Can I sue them for stealing my life story before I lived it? It's fantastic, especially because it hits close to home. :lol:

santeria13

Sublemon
Anyone seen Hell on Wheels? I love it. It's abit like a railway era gritty western, with good characters and development.

Wittmann45

My Top 3:

Can't go wrong with any of those. All three are in my top 10. However, if you found The Wire somewhat boring, I don't know if you'd necessarily like Deadwood. Band of Brothers is probably a little more up your alley; a lot of action and a lot of emotion, without either becoming too melodramatic. Plus, its only ten episodes, unlike Deadwood which has 30+ episodes

Wittmann45

I've been watching Freaks and Geeks this week. Can I sue them for stealing my life story before I lived it? It's fantastic, especially because it hits close to home. :lol:
You a freak or a geek?

It's definitely one of those shows that is completely relatable. Even the stuff that isn't right out of my own experiences still has something all too personal about it. I've never played Dungeons and Dragons before, but that scene when they all play it, I don't know, there's something really funny and touching about it, still one of my favourites

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
You a freak or a geek?

It's definitely one of those shows that is completely relatable. Even the stuff that isn't right out of my own experiences still has something all too personal about it. I've never played Dungeons and Dragons before, but that scene when they all play it, I don't know, there's something really funny and touching about it, still one of my favourites
Definitely geek. Sam's love life is disturbingly similar to mine. I haven't finished it yet so I don't know if there's a happy ending or what (just finished the Neal ventriloquist episode), but I even did something similar to the mascot thing hoping to impress a girl, though not quite so bad. At the same time, it was much worse.

Also, I wasn't quite as nerdy as the geeks.

SirAF

Ageist
I've watched two episodes of Hawaii Five-O now and I love it :lol:

The scenery, colours and filming are gorgeous as well :drool:

Ivor Ballokov

Anyone seen Hell on Wheels? I love it. It's abit like a railway era gritty western, with good characters and development.
Are you watching season 4? I've not bothered after not really enjoying season 3, which felt like the writers had expected to be cancelled and had to throw together some stories, especially as the season 2 finale was the perfect way to end the show.

Lilly Bell is almost certainly perfect though.

santeria13

Sublemon
Are you watching season 4? I've not bothered after not really enjoying season 3, which felt like the writers had expected to be cancelled and had to throw together some stories, especially as the season 2 finale was the perfect way to end the show.

Lilly Bell is almost certainly perfect though.
Yes, I hated the season 2 finale, dramatic as it was, and felt like not bothering to watch the show thereafter. Needless to say, I did and I actually quite liked season three, probably due to low expectations. The episode before the finale was gold however the finale itself was very disappointing and I now hate the direction season 4 is taking and I have only watched the first episode thus far but I feel like it may be leading to something big(hopefully).

Indeed, Lily bell is one fine piece of work. She reminds me somewhat of Scarlet Johansson, except prettier.

kps88

Anyone tried Knick or Outlander yet? Both getting good reviews.

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
Yeah, only seen the pilots for both but enjoyed both of them.

Donut

I quite like The Knick, but it is quite slow, and I think for you to really enjoy it you'd ideally have some knowledge of medicine or at least be interested in it.

zlatan_ish

juventino
Supports
La Vecchia Signora
I ventured into this thread to get a suggestions but there are so many different tv shows on the last page itself.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Just watched The Runaway a 6-episode series about sort of gang/crime set in the 60s-70s London. Stars Jack O'Connell and I found it really good. Jack is a fantastic actor imo.

Loublaze

ATLien
Another spinoff after the Breaking Bad spinoff?

So much for that golden era of cable television. Guess it's Amazon and Netflix left to rescue it (aside from HBO, obviously)...
Amazon are putting out some really interesting original shows. Just watched five pilots these last few days of 'Red Oakwoods' (coming of age comedy drama set in early 80s), Hysteria (about a the outbreak of a disease spread by social media, sounds lame but the pilot was promising), Hand of God (about morally corrupt Judge on downward spiral of vigilante justice supposedly ordered by God himself, starring Ron Perlman of Hellboy) and 'Really' (drama) and 'The Cosopolitans'. One of these will be dropped as Amazon are seeking feedback by subscribers to help pick which shows will be continued. In addition to other shows they have like 'Bosch' and the upcoming family drama 'Transparent' (excellent pilot btw, show is created by Jill Solloway who also created the critically acclaimed HBO show 'Six Feet Under) they might be doing too much at once. The competition with Netflix is heating up and I like it

Loublaze

ATLien
Has anyone here watched both Borgia shows? The showtime one (the Borgias) that was cancelled after season 3 and the Canal plus/Netflix one (Borgia) shot on location in Italy and the Czech republic? I liked both shows but I give the Canal plus one the edge, just.

LARulz

I need a new show to watch.

Just blitz watched all of Person of Interest to date. Seen Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Fargo, Arrested Development, Parks and Rec, Rectify and a lot of others which I can't remember.

Donut

I need a new show to watch.

Just blitz watched all of Person of Interest to date. Seen Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Fargo, Arrested Development, Parks and Rec, Rectify and a lot of others which I can't remember.
Spartacus or Game of Thrones.